The Bargain

Can't Buy Me Love

 

I am not good at somethings. One of them is running onto people at groccery shops. While picking out green beans, I had totally forgotten about Sebyul and the cart in the dry spices area.

Sprinting around like a half mad woman, my spirits were drying out when I couldn't find Sebyul. Tears were pooling in my waterline until I heard the familiar "Momma". Sebyul.

With a dramatic turn, Sehun was there with Sebyul in his arms. In one week, the man infront of me had changed. His hair was slickly chopped, dyed jet black from the previous blonde. Strangely, he wore shredded jeans and a plain tee with a leather bomber jacket. Watching him, I felt hot even under the air conditioned market. People streamed around us. "Momma," Sebyul called out again.

With a quick change of hands, I had her clutched to my arms. I mumbled a simple "thank you" to escape the scene but was held back by my hoodie.

No. Not now. Not here. Please. I inwardly screamed.

"Your cart." he pushed it beside me. I held it in place with my free arm.

"Nice selection of candies you have. I hope you don't mind. I took the liberty to add a packet of gummy bears." I looked sideways, slowly till I was looking him in the eyes. A stone dropped in the pit of my stomach. I felt a line of drool on my neck.

Heck.

Instinctively, I pulled out the napkin to wipe Byul's mouth. Aigoo, this girl. Sehun pulled me by the arm to a side while people passed by. Time was passing so slow with him in the same room.

"Thank you for taking the trouble Mr. Oh." I bowed at him.

I went on to buy the vegetables and then in line to pay at the till. Sebyul giggled out. With crooked brows, I looked behind. Sehun.

I wanted to say, " off" but it came out, "Do want to join us for lunch?" My mind was in places.

He neared his face on Sebyul's, his warm breath hitting on my shoulder. A shiver ran down my spine. They shared an Eskimo kiss while I emptied the things I brought on the counter.

My hands were busy and before I knew, Sehun was paying with his platinum Visa card. I looked at him with a shrewd look to what Byul was laughing like crazy.

The cashier boy ran off with the card which Sehun was least bothered about. He had his full attention on me.

"What are you doing?" I squeaked as he looked eagerly at my face.

"I thought I would buy lunch since you were cooking." he answered.

"Fine," I snorted in defeat.

Sebyul and Sehun had bonded. I rarely have seen her so freely laughing with people she met just now. A smile crept on my lips as Sehun played peek-a-boo with my daughter. It made me want to squeeze him like a squishy.

The boy was back with a man in tow. My eyes met Jongin's and I was nervous. Previously, I had back bitten about Sehun to Jongin. I just hope he doesn't spill the beans.

Jongin bowed to Sehun in acknowledgement as the boy pointed at him with the card. What was so serious with a platinum card?

"Mr. Oh," Jongin cleared his throat, his voice betraying his young age. "Welcome to Mia Famillia. I hope you are having a good shopping experience. I have received orders from above not to accept payment from any members of the Oh family."

I stared at Sehun's face. Jongin worked for him. Holy ! A hint of pride ran over Sehun's face as he took back his card.

"Then make sure Ms. Kim here doesn't have to pay from onwards either." My jaw dropped as I heard him pass orders. How can he be so calm and authorative everywhere at the same damn time?

The market attendants helped my purchases into Sehun's Sedan. He scrutinized my honda again while the valet held open the car door.

"Get rid off it." He made a statement and gestured me and Byul to get inside.

Back home, a baffled Chen was on my door. Sehun's brows crooked, seeing another man. Like it hit his ego.

"My brother, Jongdae." I mouthed, pushing him from my path. Sehun followed behind me, sharing an awkward handshake with him.

"My boss," I introduced them officially, soon correcting myself, "Ex-boss. I quit last Saturday."

As siblings, Jondae and I shared many common traits. One of them was getting easily surprised.

Jongdae pulled me aside with force once I put Byul to her bed. "What are you doing?" he asks, gritting his teeth together.

"What?"

"He is freaking Oh Sehun, are you burning your own career before it starts? And think about me too, the clientel I can expand into with his help in event management. Byul is still young and he seems taken by you."

"No, no,no." I rejected his thoughts.

"Yes, otherwise what would the city's biggest playboy and may I add, most eligible bachelor will do in our dump?"

His last word left me offended. Sehun might have taken birth with a silver spoon but we were financially better off with our parent's and self income.

"He wanted to talk and Byul seemed to befriend him. Strange. So he is here for lunch in my precious abode. No dump." In a rage of fury, I left him alone and find Sehun in the living room.

"Nice place." he complemented.

"Thanks but I want to pay for the things we brought home. I felt like shop lifting." I proposed.

"I am in no mood to debate, Ms. Kim. But I would like to remind you, gently, that you can't quit working for me until next three years according to the employment contract you signed. Sad no?" his words cassacaded like a waterfall across the room.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Jongdae walking away. God!

"What do you want from me, Mr. Oh? What have I done to be of anything to you? Why me of all people? A girl with a two year old daughter with missing father, why me? Girls will kill to be by your side, even wife. Did I just start to fit in your selection of women? " I let it out, all I have been planning to ask him. He flinched when I mentioned Byul's father. Even I was feeling uncomfortable.

"I want you to be my girlfriend, Raehun." he states clearly, pausing to give dramatic effect in his words. "Not because you suddenly fit in my ideal type but as the person I am least likely to fall in love."

I couldn't help but let out a sob. It was an insult.

He continues further, "Money can't buy you, you are different from others, I knew it the moment I laid my eyes on you. Others will agree to be my wife, do my silly endeavours happily but you are one tough nut to crack, Kim Raehun. You are my personal code to challenge laced with humor, smart mouth. It is never boring with you. And the arrangement is temporary. One year, you can walk out."

"What's my benefit? What will I get from this?" I closed the gap between us. He smiled, lips shaped beautifully in a warm one that blew me off. "Sebyul's father." I couldn't believe my own ears. What is he saying?

"A mother's psychology, Rae, to ensure her child's future and security. You do want to know Byul's father, don't you? I will find him. I promise, with that, if I cannot, I will make sure you will live off comfortably with non of my drama after a year."

He sounded confident. But I couldn't come up with a reply. I do want to know Sebyul's father's name even if I have to fake a relationship with Oh Sehun.

"I am in." I shake his hand awkwardly, "one year" buzzing in my head.