Making new friends

Can't Buy Me Love

Kyungsoo's peace of mind was disturbed at the sight of the slender woman invading his kitchen space, rummaging through his supplies of spices and selected winery.

"Ahem!" he cleared his throat. Raehun looked up from her bowl of Basmati rice that she has been rinsing on for last five minutes.

"Hi! Kyungsoo! Come in!" The man stood poised at his place, slightly frowning at the invitation to his own place.

"You need something?" Kyungsoo was asked while he intently watched the girl seasoning black beans on the stove.

"Did you just use rosemary?" he counter asked. "Yes, my mother's secret recipe." the younger beamed.

"What's this?" he was by her side, lifting the lids off the double burners. "Oh those? I didn't know what everyone liked so I went on with beef stew and a rice dish to go with it." She passed a sheepish smile.

"Hmm," he clucked his tongue, tasting the gravy, " This needs reduction and a little more rice wine." Raehun breathed out at his comment. It was not that bad as a comment coming from an expert. The two of them worked together to prepare lunch and breakfast. With an hour, they shared recipies and Raehun realised Kyungsoo could teach her a lot.

"It's all done!" Raehun wiped her hands on her dress much to Kyung's horrification. "We have kitchen towels for that matter." He threw one at her direction, wrinkling his nose.

"Thanks." Raehun muttered, dabbing her sweat off on the towel. "Take one of the maids to help you plate the table. I will get the rice dish and grandma's boiled egg."

Raehun walked on, followed by a servant. She wondered at Kyungsoo's concern for the family. Their grandmother in general. He and Sehun were like different sides of a coin. .......................................................................................

Raehun nursed her tea cup, looking at the green meadow that ran around the manor grounds. It had saddened her when Sehun arrived late at the breakfast table, not touching a single grain even when Maya had assured her it was his favorite rice dish. He made some small talks with his father, mainly about business and had gone back to his study to work again. What bugged him? He was fine last night.

"Good morning Mrs. Oh." she was stirred from her thoughts. "Good morning but I am Kim Raehun." she smiled confused at the man standind before her with a strange pink hair. "I am sorry Mrs. Raehun. I am Lu Han, Mr. Oh's chief of security affairs and strategy planning."

"So you are The Luhan?" Raehun could barely contain amusement. She had always heard of Luhan from Kris and Sehun but failed to put a face to go with his name. She had imagined him to be tall like Kris but he did not dissapoint her assumption of being overly handsome.

"Nice to meet you Luhan. Did you want something?"

"Yes, I am aware of your child, Kim Sebyul, correct me if I am wrong. Mr. Oh has personally told me to look into her safety and proceedings of carrying out her tests to identify her father." His words paled her.

"Yes, sure." she croaked, holding on to the nearest chair for support. "Are you ok miss?" Luhan touched her arm slightly, soon pulling his hand away to maintain decency. "Yes, I just need time thinking. She is at my parents."

"I know that too. We have ensured round the clock security for all houses, tapped the phones and made sure no one knows about your baby."

"Thank you." her voice was small. "I will take your leave now. Do call me when you need my assistance." She had only nodded, not even worried that she did not have his number. Once left alone, a thousand questions pricked her mind. Sehun was surely hiding something from her. He had a good following, expected of someone in his position. But their vulgarity bothered her. She was yet to ask him about Areum and to herself, was she ready to know who was Sebyul's father.

In an unfocused way, she heard giggling of a female voice followed by Sehun's distinct grumble. She could not hear what they were saying but Sehun smiled when Areum placed a hand on his arm. Sehun placed another over hers and they both broke into laughters. It filled an empty void of jealosy she never knew was present. .......................................................................................

"Where are you going?" Raehun followed Kyungsoo closely. "Aish!" Kyungsoo clasped on his chest, his eyes opened wide. "You scared me." "I didn't mean to. You did not answer me."

"The bakery shop. Wanna come?" Kyungsoo's invitation was readily accepted with a broad smile.

"Do you own this?" Raehun's eyes went wide as Kyungsoo's, slowly gliding her hand over the glass that showcased artistically decorated cakes.

"Yes, I will introduce you to my head chef. Minseok." The shorter man bowed, an infectious smile lit his face, even Kyung was grinning.

"Will you teach me to decorate?" Raehun's request was innocent but it shook Kyung. "Er, why not. Min, do you mind handing Raehun a chef coat?" Kyungsoo staggered.

The next hour and half, Kyung taught Raehun the basics of cake decor. From piping bags to mixing creams, gelatins, colors, he went all out. Raehun was picking up quickly, imitating his instructions with careful . He was even surprised when she requested Minseok to bake her a vanilla and white chocolate cake infused with chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter filling.

"Am I missing an occassion?" Kyung cleaned the counter they were working on while Raehun tip toed to see the base fluffing out in the oven.

"Er, it is his birthday." she casted her eyes at her knotted hands. Kyungsoo was quiet for a while. "He would not care." Raehun looked at Kyungsoo, searching for his face that was hidden from her.

"Say that again!" her voice rose a little that brought a smile on his lips.

"He does not celebrate his birthday. Its just a namesake's party." He shrugged his shoulders. "You are wasting your time."

"I am wasting my time? Maybe I would not have to if you didn't marry Areum." The moment she said it, she regreted it. Kyungsoo's face remained same, a small amused smile took over his full lips.

"You could have said no too, Ms. Damsel in Distress." It dawned over Raehun. She didn't take the insult to heart, more like a brotherly reprimand.

"Surprised?" Kyungsoo held the cake mould with a mitt glove. "Very," her cheeks were tinted red.

"How do you know?"

"Sehun is very predictable. That boy thinks I hate him. I don't. I was never fond of him either." Raehun was quiet, slowly icing the cake with chocolate cream.

"Don't like me hating your husband?" Kyung raised an eyebrow, letting his expert hands take over the small details of the cake.

"What do I do Kyungsoo?" her shoulder dropped, eyes twitching to hold back her tears. He placed a warm hand on the small of her back.

"Cry if it helps. The more you hold back the more it hurts. That's something I have learned in my four years."

"Four years?" Kyungsoo held up his wedding ring, a pale yellow representing the number of years of use.

"Oh!" Raehun leaned further on Kyungsoo's shoulder, letting out a sob. "Raehun?"

"Yes?" "I want to meet Sebyul."

How do they always know?