Chapter 3

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You have a what?”

 

Dara scowled at the way her mom just asked her that question in an incredulous tone that sounded as if miracles are real.

 

“I have a date,” she repeated what she told her mom. Her mom was sitting in the living room when she stepped out of her room wearing the new dress she had bought earlier that morning.

 

Her mom studied her from head to toe and Dara put a hand on her hip defiantly as she let her mom scrutinize her. Her hair was in a high ponytail with hair extensions to make it look really elegant, a white tube flare dress that matched her white and silver Prada Heels that she is taking the utmost care of when CL, one of her best friends, gave it to her when she had gotten back from the US. She swore to only use it on special occasions and of course, today marks one of those.

 

Her mom placed the book she was reading on the coffee table and stood up. Dara rolled her eyes as she was definite her mom is gonna go Isn’t your skirt a little too short? Or Why don’t you put on a jacket? It’s cold outside or Why don’t you bring Thunder with you? She was ready to answer those. That’s the reason why I’m probably gonna die a , mom!

 

Her mom put her hands on her shoulders and Dara dreaded the words that will come out of her mother’s mouth that she’s baring too much skin.

 

“Don’t let this chance go, sweetie. Ask him to marry you or seduce him before this night ends.”

 

Dara felt dropped in disbelief over the words she had heard from her mother. She was so ready to defend her very expensive dress! “Ewww! Mom!”

 

But her mom seems determined. “You’re not getting any younger, Dara. You are already close on being left off the race. So while you’re still beaautiful and looking fresh and young, whoever your date is, don’t let him slip through your fingers. I know how picky you are so I’m sure that you agreed on this date because he had a stable job and you won’t end up being his life’s sponsor.”

 

Dara’s face scowled even more. “And here I thought you’re going to protect my virtue.”

 

“I am protecting our race,” her mom said with a nod. “What if you’re brother could’t have a child?”

 

“Oh my god, ma. I don’t want to continue this. I’m leaving.” She kissed her on the cheek. “Where’s Thunder, anyway?”

 

“He went out with his friends.”

 

Dara frowned even more as she knows Thunder’s friends and they are a bunch of college kids who looked like their hormones are raging all over the place. “If Thunder ever wound up getting someone pregnant, I’ll have him thrown in a war zone. He doesn’t even have the money for his own gas, let a alone taking care of a baby and making me an aunt!”

 

“Don’t be so exaggerated,” her mom said with a face at her ridiculous assumptions. “They just went out to play basketball.”

 

“Fine. I’m leaving now. I’ll probably get home by 11,” she said.

 

“Eleven? Why not twelve?”

 

Oh my god.” Dara rolled her eyes and kept on muttering as she strides out of their front door. My mom is selling me. Unbelievable. I am close to becoming an old maid because of her. If she had only let me flirt around in college, she would probably have a lot of grandchildren by now. Pffft.

 

She kept on muttering under her breath as she went to her car and started the ignition. Why did I even studied so hard and worked so hard. Chief Office but still single. Aish! This date better come out with a bright future for me because if not… if not, I’m really going to end up seducing someone. I don’t want to die a . God, please! Like what my mom said, my genes are gonna be a waste not to pass it on.

 

She slowed her car when she arrived at the hotel. There are a lot of people wearing formal dresses that were stepping out of their flashy cars and entering the front entrance looking really loaded what with their glittering jewelries. It’s a good thing she had resorted to shopping earlier and wouldn’t stick out like sore thumb. She pulled the car on the side and let it idle as she reached for her phone and picked up Eunhyuk’s business card.

 

He answered after at least 6 sings.

 

“Eunhyuk speaking.”

 

“It’s me, Dara.”

 

Pause. “Dara! Hi! Where are you?”

 

“Well…” she adopted a nonchalant tone. “… I just thought  that I didn’t have anything to do tonight and you know… it’s pretty boring so… I decided to come at your boss’ party.”

 

“That’s great! Thank you. Thank you so much! You just saved my . So I could pick you up if you want or… where are you anyway?”

 

“I came from a friend’s party,” Dara answered. “I’m not going to be late, right?”

 

“Of course not. No. The party won’t start until 8 actually, so take all the time you need. It’s only seven anyway.”

 

“Well, actually, it would probably take me less than 15 minutes because you know… my friend’s party is just around Elf Hotel. What room was that party again?”

 

“It’s on the main function room. Second floor.”

 

“Okay. And um… can I talk to this Donghae guy? I just want to make sure I am really invited.”

 

She heard Eunhyuk chuckle and it’s probably her imagination because of her paranoia but it sounded really nervous. “Dara, you are invited. I swear. My job is on the line if you decided not to come. Why do you think I kept asking you to be here? Donghae… really needed you to be here.”

 

Good enouigh. “Okay. Guess I’ll see him and you.”

 

“Thank you again,” Eunhyuk said before they hung up. Dara waited for a couple of minues inside her car before driving to the front entrance of the hotel. She gave the valet hery key and strutted inside the hotel like she owns the place.

 

The lobby was teeming with people in gowns and tuxedos that Dara felt a little intimidated but thankful that she decided to spend more on a dress that she could possibly ever have. Squaring her shoulders as she walked like she knows where she’s going, she tried to look for an elevator or an escalator to take her to the second floor. She decided to just follow a couple who looked like they were going to attend the function that she’s searching for.

 

She followed the right people as she spotted the Main Function room. She strode in as she looked around. The music playing in the back ground was soft but almost indistinct by the chatter that is buzzing around her. How in the world is she going to see her date? She took her phone from her purse and dialled Eunhyuk’s number again.

 

He answered immediately.

 

“I’m here,” she said.

 

“Really? That was fast. Where are you?”

 

“Uh… I’m already inside the function room but… there’re too many people so….”

 

“Okay, I see you. Wow. Let me get Donghae. Stay there and we’ll get you.”

 

“Okay.”

 

She hung up the phone and immediately took her compact powder to check if she had something between her teeth or if she had an oily face. Nope. Perfect. She smiled at a passing woman as she waited for her date to come and get her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eunhyuk made a beeline for Donghae who was talking to his grandfather near the front of the stage that set up. His grandmother was also there including Donghae’s father drinking wine.

 

“…so I’m looking at pushing to get Mr. Yang’s account with us,” Donghae was telling his grandfather.

 

“Good evening,” Eunhyuk greeted them then leaned over Donghae. “Donghae, your date’s here.”

 

Donghae looked at him with creased brows and Eunhyuk refrained from throwing up his hands in resignation as it looked like Donghae had all but forgotten what he task he had shoved in Eunhyuk’s shoulder with obvious threats of his life if he wasn’t able to present him a date. He was about to go into details again when the look of recollection settled on Donghae’s features. He smiled at his grandparents, a rare occurrence if Eunhyuk might add, and excused himself.

 

“Where did you find her?” he asked as he followed the direction Eunhyuk is taking.

 

“I have my sources,” Eunhyuk answered with a grin then decided to drop the bomb since there’s no way out for Donghae now. “I found her on a dating site.”

 

Donghae only nodded not really listening but then Eunhyuk’s answer penetrated his brain and he stopped. “A what?”

 

“She looks cool, she looks cute, she’s no one, she’s safe. Exactly what you wanted. Now don’t be an and keep the lady waiting.”

 

Eunhyuk assumed Donghae had no choice but to follow him. Dara looked absolutely gorgeous. She looked exactly like the girls Donghae used to date.

 

Dara wore her best smile when she spotted Eunhyuk striding towards her with a guy wearing a black suit. So he’s telling the truth. Oh my god, ma. I feel like your wish would come true. I’ll gladly run away with him.

 

The two men stopped in front of her and she smiled widely. Then slowly faded as Donghae studied her from head to toe and back again with an impassive expression. He didn’t smile. He didn’t even greeted her.

 

“Ah hahaha,” Eunhyuk ,” Eunhyuk said akwardly after a moment of silence. “Dara, this is Donghae. Donghae, here’s your gorgeous date. Enjoy the night.” Then he slinked away before Dara could blink leaving her with Donghae.

 

Dara felt herself fidgeting from Donghae’s intense stare. Did I disappoint him? I look prettier today than I did in my profile photo.

 

“Follow me,” Donghae suddenly ordered as he turned his back on Dara. He sounds commanding as if Dara sholdn’t have any reason why she wouldn’t.

 

Out of the confusion muddling her brain over this… meet up with Donghae, her feet moved on its own and followed the path that Donghae had broken through the crowd. She stared at Donghae’s back with confusion.

 

There’s something wrong here. She just couldn’t pinpoint it. She narrowed her eyes as her mind scrambled and unscrambled itself. Donghae stopped on a table with at least five people in it and she was just in time to hear him tell them, “There’s someone I’d like you to meet.”

 

All the people on that table turned to her, their eyes b with sudden curiousity.

 

“This is my beautiful date… uh….” He looked at Dara with his eyebrows raised. Dara looked at him with slightly open be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter