Chapter 25

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Despite her internal worries about meeting Donghae’s family and the latter reassuring her that it was okay for her not to go to dinner with him, Dara found herself being led inside the spacious living room of the Lee’s home with Donghae holding her hand as he greeted his father and introducing Dara.

 

His father patted him on the shoulder with a smile before his eyes went to Dara.

 

“Good evening, Chairman,” Dara greeted masking her nervousness with a courteous smile.

 

“Good evening, Miss Park. Thank you for joining us for dinner.” Then his forehead creased slightly as he studied  her. “You look familiar.”

 

“She’s the COO of 21 TV,” Donghae answered for her.

 

Was, Dara thought wanting to correct him but Donghae’s father just kept on studying her then a look of recognition settled on his features. “You were that stunning young lady at the party. Donghae brought you before to meet us.”

 

“Oh… ahaha.” She let out an awkward laugh. That party. “Yeah… he did.”

 

Donghae gave a nod and smiled. “Apparently, I was a total then.”

 

Dara’s awkward smile faded and her head whipped at Donghae praying that he wouldn’t actually go into a narration on why he was an then. And why the heck did he bring that up? Of course she doesn’t want his family knowing that she was actually found by Donghae—or Donghae’s friend—from a dating site! That particular statement he said could open a lot of questions that can result into that eventuality.

 

“But he’s not anymore.” Dara tried to salvage the situation by hurriedly saying that and hoped that Donghae would get the message. Oh god, who am I kidding? Of course Mr. Clueless wouldn’t get that. I’m dealing with Lee Donghae here, the eternal clueless guy.

 

But thankfully, Donghae’s father got ahead even before Donghae could open his mouth. “Don’t worry, Dara. It runs in the family.” He chuckled at his own joke before ushering both of them in the vast dining room. It was like a party buffet with all the food on the table. Is this how they usually eat dinner? What do they do with the left overs? Becausse she’s pretty damn sure there will be left overs.

 

But she just head Donghae sigh as he wryly told his father. “Really, dad? Are you making this like a celebratory dinner?”

 

“I have no idea what you mean,” his father answered sounding like he knew exactly what Donghae meant.

 

Dara was lost though. What are they suddenly talking about? Donghae pulled a chair for her beside him and she sat down. His father then called for a maid to instruct them to bring Donghae’s grandparents down and Dara rubbed her sweaty palms dry on her simple floral dress with cut-out shoulders. Donghae put a hand over hers with a chuckle. “Relax. It’s just my dad, my grandmother and my grandfather.”

 

“Is your mom going to be here?” That meeting is something she doesn’t want to happen again anytime soon considering that his mom so explicitly told Donghae she doesn’t like her because she’s too short for her taste.

 

“No,” Donghae answered. “She can’t.”

 

Oh. She forgot the circumstances of Donghae’s mother being forbidden to come to Seoul. Or refrained to. That made her relax a bit but still. She is going to meet the Grandfather. The patriarch of the Lee Family. Okay, my nerves are at it again.

 

“Will you relax?” Donghae said linking his fingers through hers and putting it on is lap as he tried not to laugh. “They are probably really glad you are not a figment of my imagination. Or that you are a woman. You have dispelled all their fears and they are about to celebrate it.” He turned to the numerous dishes on the table. “Do you honestly think our normal family dinner consists of more than 10 dishes made by a renowned chef?”

 

Dara eyed the numerous food laid out on the table and felt a chuckle before turning to Donghae. “You have got to thank me for agreeing to date you. How else are you going to prove to your family you aren’t gay without me?”

 

Donghae lowered his head closer to hers with a smile on his mouth. “I could think of a lot of ways, I’m a resourceful guy. But I think you are the most effective.” He gave her a swift peck on the lips. “And I like this way better.”

 

Dara felt her smile widened, her lips still tingling even at that quick touch. If Donghae keeps this up, he wouldn’t find any way to get away from her because there wouldn’t be any way she’s going to let him go without a good fight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dinner with Donghae’s family was not really awkward but not really comfortable either. Dara had never felt so conscious of her every movement in her life and with the way Donghae’s grandfather was scrutinizing her when Donghae introduced her to the grandparents and reiterating that they already met her at the party they previously  held. it was really unnerving. The grandmother, on the other hand, was very cordial as she tries to make Dara feel comfortable enough around them. All of them seemed obviously glad that she is really not a fictitious girlfriend. It made Dara wonder what in the heck Donghae had been doing for his family to think it was a miracle he is already dating.

 

Donghae’s grandfather leaned forward as he addressed Dara directly. “He didn’t pay you to pose as his girlfriend, right?”

 

Dara balked at that question because it is just too shocking for Donghae’s grandfather to ask that. “Uh….”

 

“Grandpa stop,” Donghae said wryly.

 

“She seemed nervous,” his grandfather noted, his eyes narrowing suspiciously.

 

“Of course she is,” Donghae answered. “You’re making her more uncomfortable with your ridiculous questions.”

 

“It’s—I’m not—” Dara tried to deny it but they both ignored her.

 

“Where did you meet my grandson?” His grandfather continued his inquisition.

 

Donghae felt responsible for answering that. “It all started with a dating a—Owww!” He yelped as Dara immediately pinched him hard on his thigh underneath the table to stop him from continuing what he is about to say.

 

Dara smiled looking like nothing happened while Donghae rubbed his thigh and grimacing. “We’ve met before since I was an officer in 21 TV.”

 

Donghae’s grandfather seemed to think about it for a minute before nodding, seemingly satisfied with that simple. “Ah.”

 

“How was 21 TV?” his father asked looking a little concerned. “I heard there are a lot of new accounts that cancelled their contract after the fire. I heard from Eunhyuk you were going to ask for an extension.”

 

Dara pressed her lips as she waited for Donghae to answer that. This is the conversation that she doesn’t want to be present when it happened. She bit her lip as she snuck a glance at Donghae as he answered.

 

“CEO Yang and I had agreed to terminate the contract.”

 

His family gawked at his news, most especially his father. “Terminated? Like cancelled?”

 

“Exactly cancelled,” Donghae answered as he took his glass of juice looking like he didn’t just deliver a surprising news to his family.

 

“Did you ask for an extension?” His father pressed on looking really serious now then turned to Dara. “Have you discussed this with your chairman?”

 

Dara opened but Donghae got in ahead of her. “She already quit 21 TV, it is not her responsibility.” His father opened his mouth to speak but Donghae cut him off. “We can’t deliver, dad. Not on the date 21 TV had set for us. We don’t have the resources to produce in time and the trial equipments I gave them aren’t even launched yet so we didn’t have any stocks. There’s no other choice. Pushing the deal just because we’re running on a deadline would only cause failure in our quality control and if there is one thing LDH is most proud of… it’s Quality. And I’m not going to risk that.”

 

His father and grandfather exchanged a look before turning to him. “You’ve worked so hard for that account,” his grandfather said solemnly. “I would not believe you gave it up just like that. You are a very resourceful man and I’m sure you would’ve found a way to meet the deadline or at least gave 21 TV sufficient reasons to grant you of an extension.”

 

Dara’s hands curled on her lap as she tried not to look too affected by this conversation knowing full well why Donghae had gave it up just like that. And feeling so damn guilty for being the cause of it. She had already wondered to herself what would have happened if she had only told chairman the truth of LDH status from the beginning. Maybe it would have a better outcome for everybody.

 

“There will be other opportunities,” Donghae answered his grandfather. “You just have to trust me on this.”

 

His grandfather opened his mouth but his grandmother put a hand over his to stop him from saying anything else then turned to her grandson with a smile. “Of course we do, sweetie. Now, how is your mother doing? Have you visited her yet?”

 

“Yes, I did. After she threatened again me to give her account to some other company. She’s still the same,” Donghae answered his grandmother as if it wasn’t obvious how she had changed the subject. The conversation picked up from there and Dara forced a smile as they tried to include her on the conversation with talks about how Donghae was wiith his mother. She still couldn’t help but blame herself on how Donghae had lost the 21 TV account after working for it so hard. She did remember him saying that 21 TV is that big account that LDH had lost and one which they had been trying to retrieve since the time his father was the chairman and now it got messed up.

 

Just because of one little lie.

 

This is probably her karma for spewing outrageous stories when she gets into a bind, like traffic violations. She’s never gonna lie again.

 

After dinner, Donghae brought her to the balcony of the house’s second floor and Dara reveled at  the beauty of the night as she looked up at the sky dotted with numerous stars. They rested their elbows by the glass railings as they let the peaceful silence fill the air. Dara glanced at Donghae out of the corner of her eye before speaking. “You have a really nice family.”

 

Donghae looked at her then frowned thoughtfully. “Nice isn’t really the word I woul describe them especially if my grandfather and my dad is at it head to head on something.” Then smirked. “But I think I really have the best family.”

 

Dara smiled at the evident fondness on Donghae’s face. “You do. Except for mine, of course.”

 

Donghae chuckled with Dara and they

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter