Chapter 29

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“The tale of your cakes are not exaggerated. This is really good.”

Dara beamed widely at the man sitting in front of her as he tasted the cake he bought. “Thank you,” she can only respond as she was still speechless over the sudden appearance of this stranger and asking to meet her. He had introduced himself as Choi Dong-wook, the owner of that newly opened mall in the city of Seoul.

Dara was beyond surprised when he suddenly appeared in her coffee shop earlier looking for her and when he introduced himself, she was even more stumped. She had been so busy in establishing her coffee shop business that she forgot the outside world existed and had no idea who’s who in the society nowadays.

She studied Choi Dong-wook as he ate the cake Dara had suggested when he asked for recommendations. CEOs are getting younger and younger nowadays.

“So… um…,” Dara started. “You… wanted to offer me a spot in Se7enth Heaven?” That was the name of his mall.

Dong-wook looked up at her with a smile. “Yes. Your shop is very popular with kids nowadays and it would be a lot easier for your shop to be more visible if it’s inside a place where most people go to. Don’t you want to expand?”

“Um… i haven’t thought about that yet,” Dara said slowly. “I mean, i just started my business not too long ago and….” Her voice trailed off. She had never thought her cakes would be a major hit. When she started out Haru And One Day a year ago, it was just a small store selling cakes but when CL pitched in the idea of coffee, that’s when her business grew. It was a grueling process. Dara could remember how high her stress level at that time and almost gave up. Thankfully, her mom had been very supportive. Surprisingly, her brother as well. And of course, her best friends who had been helping out during their free time. Dara could say that Haru and One Day would not be possible without all of them.

And with the level of promotion that her friends and her brother is doing, her shop became popular. Especially with the college kids where a lot of them hang out here to unwind as her shop is just a few blocks away from the Univerisity. Her coffees and cakes were budget friendly and affordable which is probably the reason why Haru and One Day is their first choice.

Aside from her very delicious cakes, of course.

“All the more reason for you to think about how to grow your business, isn’t it?” Choi Dong-wook said smiling.

Before Dara could answer, one of her staff, Jisoo, walked over to them. “Excuse me. Miss Dara, someone’s looking for a manager to talk to?”

A feeling of dread seeped into her skin as she had an idea who was looking for a manager.

“It’s… the granny,” Jisoo said sounding sympathetic when she confirmed Dara’s dread..

Dara paused before sighing in exasperation. Oh god. Dara had already seen the old woman by the counter a couple of minutes earlier and heard her ordering with her screechy voice.

“Everything alright?” Choi Dong-wook asked his forehead creasing.

Dara smiled assuringly. “Yes. Please excuse me for a minute.” She stood up from the chair, making sure her polo shirt is tucked in right. She needs to look like the manager if she would need to talk to the granny otherwise, she would ask for the President.

She fixed her ponytail before making a beeline to face her most difficult customer as of yet. Dara already saw her sitting on her usual seat by the window with her greyed hair sticking out of her crocheted hat and a wool scarf wound on her neck eventhough summer is already starting. Dara pasted a smile on her face before approaching her.

“Good afternoon, ma’am. I was told you are looking for a manager?” Again. She added silently.

The old woman gave her a quick once over like she hadn’t seen Dara just the other day before she immediately went into a quick rant pointing at her coffee. “This is too bitter. Why is your coffee so bitter? I could name a thousand coffee shops who can give me better coffee. And why is there ice? Who drinks coffee with ice?”

The Granny, as what Dara’s staff calls the very old grouchy woman that keeps buying coffee, has always been making irrational complaints everytime she goes into their coffee shop. It’s not just once but everytime. Of course, Dara hadn’t had the heart to throw her out or ban her because… well… she’s really old. Dara could bet she was already senile but miraculously, she still remember what coffee shop to go to and which people to annoy. Unfortunately, she keeps on forgetting she had made the same complaints since the first day Dara had opened her coffee shop.

“Grandmother,” Dara started holding her patience. “You ordered an iced americano. It is supposed to be bitter and it’s supposed to be with ice. Because it’s what you ordered.”

“I don’t want any ice,” the granny said stubbornly. “And I want my coffee with milk and chocolate. And sugar.”

Dara heard her specifically ordering an Iced Americano earlier. She continued smiling though holding on to her patience. Customer Service, she kept repeating to herself. “Alright, then we will have your drink changed to a hot mocha with no additional charge.” Better give her what she wants if she doesn’t want this to last all day.

“No no no no. I don’t want mocha,” the old woman said fervently shaking her head. “I want an americano with milk and chocolate and sugar. I don’t want it to be black.”

“Alright.” She exhaled through her nose. She turned her head to the counter and motioned for Jisoo who immediately went over to them. Dara gave her the old woman’s cup. “Please redo the coffee. Our customer wanted a hot Americano with milk and chocolate and sugar.”

“Huh?”

Dara just mouthed the words Mocha and a look of understanding settled on Jisoo’s face. “Alright,” she said. “Hot Americano with milk, chocolate, and sugar coming right up.” Jisoo sashayed to the counter to bring the grouchy old woman her coffee.

Dara turned back to her smiling. “Jisoo will be serving it in a couple of minutes. Would there be anything else i can help you with?”

“Don’t you have any work? Why are you slacking off?” The old woman’s gritty voice asked her sounnding so condescending.

“I’m sorry?”

“You keep on talking to a lot of people everytime i come in here. You’re the manager and you’re always the one who’s slacking off. WHat kind of a manager are you?”

Patience. The old woman does always seem to find the perfect time to visit when she had some guests to attend to.

“Back in my day,” the old woman continued. “You wouldn’t see me sitting down and letting my crew do the job for me. No ma’am. I work until my bones fall off to be worthy of my position.”

“Grandmother,” Dara said. “It’s just business talk. And don’t worry, i will work until my bones and my skin fall off, okay?”

The grandmother gave her a scowl and Dara kept on smiling before she excused herself and going back to her guest. It was amusing to talk to granny at first but when she’s already doing the same complaints every damn day, well it’s already grating her nerves.

“Sorry about that,” she said going back to Choi Dong-wook.

“No problem,” he said.

“Um… okay… so… thank you for the offer, by the way. It’s really… flattering but um… can i think about it first? I need to discuss it with family members.”

“Of course,” he said with an understanding nod. “No pressure.”

“Where is the manager?!” That loud screechy voice echoed inside the vast space of Haru and One day and Dara closed her eyes in consternation.

Choi Dong-wok just chuckled. “Looks like you’re going to be really busy today.”

“Yes, it seems so,” Dara muttered.

“Well, i’d better get going then,” he said. “Think about it.” He handed her his calling card. “Here’s my number. Call me if you reached a decision.”

“Thank you. I will.”

He smiled and gave a nod but he hesitated for a second before he turned back to her. Now he looked slightly uncomfortable. “Listen, uh… do you… do you want to go out for some coffee tonight?”

“Huh?”

He must’ve realized about asking an owner of a coffee shop to have coffee somwehere sounded really ridiculous because he chuckled looking embarassed. “I’m an idiot. Not… coffee. Sorry. I meant… dinner?”

Dara blinked. Is he asking her out? Oh my god. “Dinner?”

“If you’re busy tonight, maybe tomorrow?”

Oh my god. Is she suddenly living in an alternate universe? This is probably the tenth time someone out of the blue had visited her in the coffee shop then asking her out. Like, what the hell? Did she suddenly got all attractive? She had shed her intimidating aura? She doesn’t know if she likes that or not but… this is too surreal. And Choi Dong-wok, a really attractive, young businessman is here asking her out?

“Um….” How does she answer this? She had never dated right after… right after she broke up with Donghae so… she guessed she is back to zero with dating experience.

“Don’t worry,” he said noticing Dara’s hesitation. “No pressure. I’ll wait for your call then. I mean… the business proposal.”

“Of course,” Dara said with a nod.

“Miss Dara.” They turned to find Jisoo looking distressed. “Sorry. She’s… demanding for a… president this time.”

Dong-wok chuckled. “I’ll be going now. Thank you.”

“Thank you,” Dara told him but she walked him to the exit glass door with a smile before striding over to the old woman who had her steaming hot mocha on the table. Dara forced a smile on her face again.

“Yes, grandmother?”

“This coffee is too hot. How am i supposed to drink this?”

Dara held on to her patience. “You need to cool it down a bit before drinking.” Her teeth were already gritted because she might raise her voice in exasperation and that is something that is so disrespectful to the elder and insane.

“No. This is what happens when you slack off and let people do the work for you. You should not be distracted in your work. Where is that young man? Let me talk to him and tell him not to bother you while you’re working!” She stood up from her chair slowly with shaking arms as if she can no longer support herself. Dara’s exasperation flew out as she and Jisoo immediately held out their hands to catch her in case she lost her balance.

“Grandmother,” Dara said holding onto her bony arm. “It’s okay. He already left. Please sit down.”

The granny fell back down on the couch with a huff. “Ouch, my back,” she grunted.

Dara and Jisoo shared a glance. “Do you want me to take you to a hospital?” Dara asked in concern.

The old woman shook her head as she waved her finger. “No no i’m fine. Leave me in peace so i could drink my hot coffee.”

Dara sighed heavily and the old woman shifted in her seat looking for a comfortable position before she smiled when found it. “Ah. i love the smell of coffee.” Then she looked at Dara with a bright smile. “Your cheesecake is very delicious by the way.”

Dara gaped at the old woman then smiled wryly at Jisoo who nodded and went to the counter to give the old woman a slice of the very famous Dara’s cheesecake.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara was doing an inventory on the sacks of grounded coffee beans that was delivered that afternoon when her phone rang. She put her pen inside her pocket as she answered. It was an unknown number.

“Hello?”

“Good afternoon. May i please speak with Miss Sandara Park?” An unfamiliar female voice asked.

“Yes, this is her speaking.”

“Hi, Miss Park. My name is Song Ji-Yeon from Make Me A Match. How are you today?”

Make me a match? “Hi,” she greeted back sounding puzzled for receiving a call from that dating app. “I’m doing good, thank you. How can i help?”

“Yes, we are actually calling as your profile is listed as a premium member and with our company’s upcoming anniversary, we are inviting you on a free three day cruise trip in Jeju Island on May 30th. The cruise would consist mostly of our premium members with live bands and special guestings of our country’s best actors and actresses.”

It took a minute for all of it to sink in. “Wait… what?” She was too shocked to receive a call from that dating site but…. “Premium member? I became a premium member?”

“Yes, Miss Park.”

“Wow.” Dara didn’t know that you can become a premium member without being active. When was the last time she had actually opened that app? Did she still even have it installed on her phone? She could’t remember if she had already deleted the app itself. “I didn’t know. I thought my account got cancelled and closed.”

“No, Miss Dara. With actively participating in our online programs, your status has been approved for premium membership five months ago with only 10,785.00 won additional charge.”

“Wait. What?” She repeated what she responded earlier. This is getting too confusing by the minute. “Actively participating? i had never went back online since… i don’t know… since a year ago? I don’t even remember my password.”

The woman was silent on the other line before she spoke. A little hesitant this time. “Miss Park, it shows here that you were online four days ago.”

“What?!!”

“If this is not you, i would suggest changing your password immediately.”

This is unbelievable. She was active four days ago? Then a horrific thought struck her mind. Is someone is using her profile? Her account? What if it’s to scam people? Oh my god! “No.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter