Chaper 21

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara refrained herself from cowering under the indomitable stare of Donghae’s mother who seemed to be swallowing her whole as she came closer. Her eyes travelled from Dara’s face, down to her shoes then back at her face as if assessing if she is even worthy to be in her son’s presence. Dara swallowed hard as she tried to calm her nerves. Cool it down. You are a successful woman in a top TV Network company. Remember that.

 

Donghae’s mother stopped in front of them, her stare seemed to be drilling a hole in Dara’s face.

 

“Mom, this is Sandara Park,” Donghae introduced them. “She’s the Chief Financial Officer of 21 Tv.”

 

His mom didn’t change her expression, still looking unimpressed.

 

“Good evening,” Dara greeted courteously.

 

“Is she the girl you’re dating?” His mom asked, her eyes still not leaving Dara.

 

“Yes,” Donghae answered just as straight before Dara could supply any comment. What? Donghae already told his mom he’s dating? Donghae should’ve warned her about this but consideriing the very little time they were able to talk and how she just suddenly appear here, she couldn’t exactly blame Donghae for not planning this… announcement to his mother. So she just stood there like an idiot looking like she got bitten by a snake.

 

Donghae’s mother gave her another once-over. “She’s short.”

 

That comment made Dara’s mouth fall open as she did not expect that.

 

“Yes, she is.” And Donghae’s answer made her whip a glare in his direction.

 

“Couldn’t you have dated a taller woman?” his mother asked.

 

An incredulous sound came out of Dara’s mouth. Wow. Her impression of Donghae’s mother is changing swiftly. To the worst side.

 

“No, I wouldn’t want to,” Donghae answered.

 

This time, that deprecating look his mother gave her again didn’t intimidate her this time. Boy, her blood is brewing over how she is treating Dara as if she’s nothing. She may be nothing in terms of their family’s stature in the society but she is successful in her own way. She graduated with a degree and was able to climb to the top management of the country’s biggest TV Network. Dara smiled, a slight stretch of her lips that didn’t quite reach her eyes. “I mean no disrespect ma’am but your family isn’t exactly gifted with a toweing height either. Your son isn’t even above average.”

 

Now it was Donghae’s turn to whip his head to look at her, not expecting Dara to fire a rebuttal but Dara just lifted her chin. She’s not going to take this belittling. No pun intended.

 

But his mom didn’t bat at eye over her response. “Exactly,” she said. “I would want a tall gene mixing into my family.”

 

Mixing into… Is Donghae’s mother serious? She’s already gotten that far by merely dating?

 

“Mother,” Donghae said sounding really exasperated.

 

“I have a tall gene.” Dara said sounding like she’s boasting about it discarding the thought that she’s acting chilidish. “My brother is 181 centimeters,”.

 

Donghae exhaled loudly but the two women just ignored him.

 

“Well your brother isn’t the one who’s going to have ual with my son now, would he?”

 

Dara’s mouth literally fell open this time at the casual way she had mentioned it. Donghae was right when he told her about his mom being more blunt than he is.

 

“Alright, that’s it,” Donghae interrupted. “Mom, I would like to have a moment alone with Dara, please.”

 

“Why?” She sounds condescending.

 

“To drink this coffee,” Donghae answered pointedly.

 

“I thought you said you already had too much?”

 

“I was but now I already need it.”

 

“I don’t like her.”

 

That statement made Dara’s irritation disappear and a sense of gloominess immediately settled on her. Trying to start a fight with your boyfriend’s mother is not a good idea but she just couldn’t stop and her temper.

 

But Donghae doesn’t seem to be perturbed by his mother’s declaration. “It’s a good thing I am the one dating her,” he just answered.

 

“I’m sorry,” Dara interrupted when they started their mother-son bickering and both of them looked at her. She tried to sound unbothered. “I have an urgent meeting to attend to at the SJ Hotel. I’m sorry for barging in here, I just thought to drop by for a second.  It’s… it was nice meeting you, Ms. So.” She bowed her head a little before turning to leave, trying to look diginified while doing so.

 

“Dara,” Donghae called out to her but she didn’t turn. He rolled his tongue inside his cheek and gave his mother a glowering look.

 

“You’re not going to disobey me, are you?” Her mother asked him looking serious.

 

“Not if you’re going to let me decide for myself,” Donghae retorted.

 

“I will not allow her to be part of this family.” His mother’s tone sounds serious and final.

 

Donghae sighed heavily in resignation as he craned his neck to look up at the ceiling for some answers on why his mom is being like this. “Mom.” He returned his gaze at his mom. “I thought we had already established the fact that acting is not one of your talents. Stop trying to impersonate those snotty rich parent you always watch on Television.”

 

His mother scowled at him. “Well, she believed me.” Then beamed at him son looking proud of herself. “Admit it, I’m becoming better.” Then she looked at direction where Dara had left. “She’s very pretty. And very spunky. Not many people can withstand my intimidation.”

 

He is so done with his mom. “Can I leave now?”

 

“You still have 30 minutes left to endure,” her mom told him sternly. “Besides, don’t you want to know if she would fight for you? What if I try to bribe her with millions on the condition that she won’t ever see you again. Do you think she will reject it? Aren’t you even curious?”

 

“No, I’m not curious,” Donghae answered drily.

 

His mother frowned. Her son couldn’t even try to respond with humor. “Alright, alright. Since I have a very important meeting tonight, I’ll let you go early. You owe me 30 minutes, Donghae.”

 

“Put it on my tab.” He leaned in and kissed his mother’s head. “See you, Mom.”

 

“Mmm hmm.” She watched as Donghae, still with the coffee cups on his hand, strode over to the revolving door, no doubt to follow the first girl he had ever introduced her to. No, wait. Jessica Jung was the first but as far as she was concerned, this Sandara was the first girl he had ever mentioned that he was dating and seemed to be pretty proud of it. A small smile lifted the corners of mouth feeling happy to see his son finally going out without being forced to. She would have to set up a meeting with Dara some time and see what she’s got. And she’d better be prepared.

 

She lifted her chin up and re-acquire her intimidating expression that she had mastered over the years. Time to get back to being the ruthless queen of Internet Advertising.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara was trudging heavily to where she parked the car feeling miserable and beating herself up over losing her temper. “Aish!!” She complained to herself. “She’s a complete villain! She might be doing good in the society but she’s evil. Why does she have to be Donghae’s mother??” Her mind had already fast forwarded to what’s going to happen if her relationship with Donghae turned something deeper.

 

I will not allow her to be a part of this family.

 

“Who wants to be part of your family?!” She continued as she turned off the lock on her car then pouted. “We’re just dating. It’s not like… getting married.” She exhaled feeling dejected then rested her elbows on top of the car and covered her face with her hand. “I’m such an idiot,” she whimpered.

 

“You okay?”

 

Dara whirled around at the sound of the familiar voice and found Donghae looking concerned behind her. Still holding the coffee she brought.

 

She blinked just to make sure she’s not halluncinating. “Uh… yeah… just… just a headache,” Dara said. “What’re you doing here?” I assumed your evil mother threatened you to prevent you from running after me earlier.

 

“My mom let me go,” Donghae said. “Guess my shift ended early.”

 

“ Oh…” She paused before blurting it out. “Your mom doesn’t like me.”

 

“She doesn’t really like anybody,” Donghae clarified.

 

Dara made a face. “She didn’t like even one of the many girls you introuduced her to?” That would make her feel a little better. No offense to the other girls.

 

Donghae’s forehead creased. “You were only the second woman I’ve introduced my mother to. What many girls?”

 

“You… you said you couldn’t keep count of the girls your mom met.” He said that right? Yes, he did.

 

Dongahe looked confused. “Yes. My mom is also visiting the Women’s desk. I assume there are thousands of women she already met. Why… should I count that?”

 

Dara gaped at Donghae in disbelief who is wearing a baffled look. I feel like an idiot for talking to an idiot. Dara closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose in consternation. Why do I always forget that I’m dating a literal guy?

 

Understanding dawned on Donghae’s features and he chuckled over how stupid he must’ve been and Dara opened her eyes to give him a wry look before a smile sslowly appeared on her face as well. “Alright. I’m the second. Who was the first?” Of course, she already knew the answer. Her brain is having trouble catching up with .

 

“Jessica.”

 

That confirmation dampened her spirits a little. “Did… did your mother like her?”

 

“She did.”

 

Dara tried not to let it get to her too much but it must’ve showed on her face because Donghae peered down at her face and let out a chuckle. “You’re not jealous of Jessica, are you?”

 

“I was then, I’m not now,” Dara decided to use the same answer he gave her. “I’m leaving.”

 

But Donghae grabbed her arm even before she could open the door of her car. He placed the coffee cups on the roof of the car and put a hand on either side of her. “Why don’t you ask me about Jessica?”

 

“Are you willing to answer them?” Dara challenged.

 

“Why wouldn’t i?”

 

“You tell me.”

 

“No, you tell me why you think I wouldn’t.” His stare was so intense that she unconsciously lowered her gaze and it fell on the hollow base of his throat. “Do you trust me only that much?” Donghae asked softly.

 

Now, she felt guilty and it took a moment for her to finally admit it, though in a very small voice. “Actually, I don’t trust myself because I’m not sure If I’m ready to hear it.”

 

Donghae’s expression softened and he placed a finger under her chin to lift her head. He smiled when their eyes met. “You don’t have an urgent meeting at SJ Hotel, do you?”

 

Dara welcomed the sudden shift of conversation and she made a face before confirming her little lie. “No.”

 

“Good. Now, how about we go somewhere and drink this… cold coffee? Have dinner somewhere?”

 

Dara thought about it before nodding. “Okay…” she let herself smile now. “I saw a very nice view on my way here.”

 

Donghae smile faded as he recognized the same smile she had given him when she brought him to the Han River. “Oh no.”

 

“It’s just by the road. The view of the ocean is amazing and I’m sure it’s spectacular at night. We could order at a drive through. I have this sudden craving for a McDonald’s burger. C’mon. It’ll be fun”

 

Donghae let his arms fall down on his sides. “Take out food isn’t very fun.”

 

“It is when you’re hungry.”

 

Donghae made a show of sighing heavily. “Junk foods are very unhealthy.”

 

“It’s only for tonight. It’s not like we’re going to eat that for the rest of our lives,” Dara said sarcastically.

 

Donghae playfully booped her nose. “I’m only going to do it for you,” he said in total resignation. “McDonald’s it is.”

 

Her heart swelled at his response and she could never stop her smile from widening. Since she also brouught  car and she couldn’t very well leave it here in Daejeon inspite of Donghae offering to have one of his men pick it up and drop it at her house, they made arrangements to drive in separate cars, Donghae will follow Dara’s to the place that took her fancy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Jessica and I grew up together.” They parked their cars side by side near the ocean reef and Donghae made Dara sit on the passenger seat of his car as he pulled the top down. Munching on the McDonald’s burger which Dara had insisted on buying, Donghae begun without Dara having to start the interrogation. “Our parents were very close at the time and we became friends in grade school. Her parents own a big freight company all over asia and my dad is working on a partnership with her father. It didn’t push through unfortunately. A scandal broke out in our family, our stocks declined, my parents got divorced…. It was a mess. It continued until we are gradually losing big accounts until my grandfather passed on LDH to my father. My father worked hard on re-acquiring LDH reputation.” Donghae looked at Dara who was listening intently. “I wanted LDH since I was little. I was brought up into a family where the only thing that should matter is the company. Profits. Status. And all the time when I was growing up, I was trying to devise a way to make LDH more successful. More known. A household name. Jessica Jung was the answer I know. Her family was very prominent. Very notable. And even if the partnership didn’t push through with our parents, their family still stayed with us. LDH already have their account but I wanted more than a partnership to stamp LDH’s standing. They are already starting to venture in the US market and I wanted LDH to be a part of it so I offered Jessica to marry me.” He paused, gauging Dara’s reaction but she just nodded, urging him to continue. “I was very transparent to her from the start. I told her what I wanted, I explained to her why I wanted us to get married and she agreed. She is as ambitious as I was. Also wanting to prove herself to her family. The engagement happened, both our families are… ecstatic, if I might say. We agreed to get married after graduation as we had to go to US to complete our business management training.” He exhaled. “I didn’t know what changed but she started to be too demanding of my time, wanting a lot more than what I could give her.” He let out a soft sigh at the memory. “She wanted me to give her a reason why she should marry me and I told her it’s because I’m deeply invested on my goal for LDH and I believe LDH could benefit the Jung’s name. I didn’t realize that she wanted to hear a completely different answer and she told me I was a in’ .”

 

Dara smirked at him. “I can believe that.”

 

Donghae chuckled softly before continuing. “I was honest with her but… as always, I believe it came out too strong. Like you said, I should’ve ‘laid it down gently’”. His smile disappeared as he recounted what happened after that. “She left the US the next day after that, I couldn’t contact her… she doesn’t want to speak to me when I call. Her parents probably thought we had a fight. But I think at that point, I understand that the wedding is already cancelled. After I completed my training, I came home and surprisingly, the wedding is still on. Her family started working with my family for planning and… she was there too. She looked nothing out of the ordinary. She looked like nothing happened so I was relieved. And then... she disappeared at the day of the wedding. She just left. Her parents were already starting to panic at the church. No one could reach her. And… I think that’s the end of it. It disappointed me but I think I can understand why.  Whether Jessica did that to get back at me or she realized she really couldn’t go through with it at the last moment… I don’t think I would want her to marry me if she is expecting more and I couldn’t give it to her.”

 

That it so much information for Donghae to share but Dara was thankful that he trusted her enough to share it with her. “Thank you,” Dara said softly.

 

Donghae’s forehead creased. “For?”

 

“For telling me,” Dara answered then she leaned her head on the seat of the car. She remembered overhearing Jessica telling Donghae she wanted him back in her life whereas the latter telling her she didn’t made any impact. Now that she is starting to understand Donghae, he probably said that to make her feel better and not feel guilty but of course, any woman will misconstrue that. “So… you’re telling me that… there didn’t come a point in your life when you found herself… really liking her? Like really liking her even by a little?”

 

“No.”

 

Hell, Donghae didn’t even sugarcoat it. Dara is starting to wonder if it’s a good thing to continue these questons. What if he answered something that is detrimental to her own feelings?

 

“I respect her,” Donghae continued. “If I knew it would lead her into feeling something more than I what I expected initially, I never would’ve asked her to marry me.”

 

Dara pouted at his answer. “Emotions are not predictable. It’s not Jessica’s fault she started to have feelings for you.” As much as it’s not mine that I started to like you more and more.

 

“I know,” Donghae responded. “My rejection

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter