Chapter 20

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara tried not to fidget as she kept her eyes focused on the changing numbers of the elevator to take them up to Donghae’s unit. She blinked and very cautiously moved her eyes to her right where Donghae was. He was leaning on the elevator’s wall facing her with his hands tucked inside his pocket and eyes staring intensely at her while she is standing there rigidly. She immediately returned her eyes back at staring at the elevator’s number feeling like she’s hyperventilating.

 

Why the hell am I getting nervous for? Sandara Park, what the hell are you thinking to happen?!

 

Since she had been so adamant in getting her expensive shoes, Donghae had taken her to his unit saying they could have dinner there and will take her home after. Given on what happened the last time she was here… well, she couldn’t help but feel nervous.

 

You’re just going to have dinner and go home. That’s it.

 

But what if he tried something? Dara pursed her lips at the thoughts raging inside her brain. Should she stop him? Of course you should! What, are you easy now? Her heartbeat seemed to be getting louder and louder in the silence of the elevator.

 

The elevator stopped on a floor and a group of people got in, chattering loudly and Dara was pushed back. Donghae didn’t move from his position but only reached out, took her hand and gently pulled her to him making Dara more tensed. She heard him chuckle softly but she can’t react as she was too busy getting more and more nervous. When the people got off, she tried to move away from him but he didn’t let go of her hand and just pulled her more closely to him. Dara looked at him, her brows furrowing. He was looking amused at the expression on her face.

 

“Am I making you uncomfortable?” he asked.

 

“Yes,” Dara answered without hesitation.

 

“Why?” he asked genuinely looking surprised at her answer.

 

“Why what?”

 

“Why are you uncomfortable? How am I making you uncomfortable?”

 

Of course she couldn’t possbily say that it’s because he is emitting strong ual vibe right now. Why am I suddenly such a ? “It’s… because… it’s all new to me so….” She avoided his gaze.

 

Donghae studied her pensively before responding to her as the elevator door opened to his floor. “I’m really glad to hear that.”

 

Still holding her hand, he stepped out of the elevator and strode towards the door of his unit and Dara had to fight the giddiness from spreading all over her so she just let the smile widen on her face. Donghae only let go of her hand when he took a paperbag from behind a door and showed it to her. “Here’s your shoes but—” he returned it to where it was. “—you can take it later.” He took her hand again and guided her to the dining room, making her sit on the stool chair. He looked really confident as he told her, “I’ll make you a dish you have never tasted before.”

 

Dara rolled her eyes and sighed exasperatedly. “I wouldn’t have any choice now, do i?”

 

He grinned rolling his sleeves up as he opened his fridge and Dara rested her elbows on the bar table, clasping her hands as she watched him try to play Domesticated. No one told her a cook could be this hot. Then she frowned at herself. Oh my god. What is this? It’s like every minute! The only thing missing is me stealing o picture of him and posting it on social media with hashtag ThirstIsReal.  She exhaled silently then tilted her head slightly as she continued watching Donghae. Who can blame me?

 

Donghae looked like he was frozen as he looked into the contents of his refrigerator before he slowly turned to look at her. Dara immediately smoothened what she believe is her in a sappy expression.

 

“I don’t have the ingredients…,” Donghae said sounding a little embarassed as he closed the refrigerator. “I forgot I already used it up.”

 

Dara exhaled loudly pretending to be annoyed. “And here I thought I would get to taste the work of a Culinary Arts Master and be amazed.”

 

Donghae chuckled taking a seat on the stool across from her. “Well… do you wanna go and just have dinner out?”

 

Dara gave it a thought before deciding it. “Yeah we could do that but… there’s somewhere I’d really like to go to with a da—“. She stopped short. No need to tell Donghae her secret fantasy of being with a date on a solitary space around the Han River while eating take out food. What? She thinks it’s romantic. “I mean… there’s somewhere I’d like to go to.” She re-phrased herself. “We could order take out.”

 

Donghae’s brows furrowed. “Take out? You don’t mean fast food, do you?” He really wanted to take Dara on a fine dining restaurant if he won’t be able to cook for her.

 

“I mean exactly that.” She hopped off the stool with a wide grin then reached her hand out for him to take.

 

Donghae watched her before silently sighing. Who can even resist that face? He stood up, took her hand and let her guide him this time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sitting on the hood of Donghae’s car with the boxes of take out chinese food between them and the lights casting soft shadows on the trees, Dara felt satisfied that her very small fantasy of a date had at least came true. She snuck a glance at Donghae who seemed to be looking out of the dead waters of the Han River with his mouth slightly open then turned to her with a bweildered expression. “This is where you want to eat?”

 

Dara nodded, not being able to stop the smile on her face. Donghae stared at her smiling brightly at him then looked back at the river exhaling loudly and flipped the rice box open.

 

“What?” Dara asked sounding defensive.

 

Donghae just shook his head then removed the wrapper on his chopsticks. “I could’ve taken you somewhere more… scenic but this… is what you want to see?”

 

She frowned at him. “It’s a peaceful place for me.” Then opened her own box or chinese food. “When I was in the university, I always come here to think to de-stress.” She mixed her food with her chopsticks as she continued defending her taste. “There’s something very soothing in this place for me that it helped me go through tough times especially when I was doing my thesis report. Ugh. That was a nightmare. And I always come here with my papers. There’s not much people, the silence is very welcoming, the smell isn’t reeking of pollution. I mean I owe this place a lot. I used to dream of taking my boyfriend here with me on a date and we get to talk and dream together—I mean yes, it’s all cheesy but I was a hopeful romantic, contrary to everyone’s impression of m—” She froze as she realized where is already sputtering. “I… I mean then.” She instanty retracted thanking the dim lights to hide her flaming face for revealing too much. “It was… I mean… I was a uh… a hopeful romantic then.” She stressed the word as she glanced at Donghae to see his reaction only to find him busy picking off the peas from the rice looking really focused on the task.

 

She doesn’t know if she would feel relieved that he didn’t hear her revealing her secret dream of a date or be annoyed that he wasn’t listening to her so she just returned her attention of mixing her food on the box.

 

“So, have you?” Donghae asked after a minute of silence.

 

“Have I what?”

 

“Have you taken a boyfriend here on a date?” Donghae asked before giving her a calculating look.

 

Crap. He was listening. “Uh….” How can she say that he’s the first guy she had taken here? Wait a minute! She just realized something. Why does it feel like our roles are reversed? Shouldn’t I be asking him if he had taken other girls here? Oh wait, I was the one who picked this place. Ugh. I should’ve let him take me somewhere and I would be the one grilling him. Very wrong move, Dara. Very wrong move.

 

“Well?” Donghae prodded when Dara took too long to answer for his liking.

 

Dara faced forward and muttered, “It’s a secret.”

 

Donghae scowled at her answer but didn’t probe further. Dara slowly mixed her rice as she furtively glanced at Donghae at the corner of her eye. He is now eating, munching silently as he gazed out at the dark waters. Dara bit her lip wondering if he’s mad that she didn’t gave him an answer. What could she have said aside from divulging a cheesy embarassing episode of her harboring secret desires that even her friends are not aware of? It’s much better for him to think she had a boyfriend to take here.

 

Dara decided to break the ice after a minute of awkward silence between them. “You’re not jealous, are you?” She asked teasingly.

 

Donghae gave her a perplexed look. “Why would I be jealous of myself?”

 

“Huh?” It’s Dara’s time to be puzzled at his response.

 

His perplexed look transformed into a grin. “I’m honored to be the boyfriend you take here in your special place. I just wanted to hear you say it.” He wagged his brows playfully at her.

 

She scowled at him. She’s been had!

 

But his term of boyfriend made her heart do somersaults. Is this for real? He’s really her boyfriend now? It sounded really cheesy and unreal to her. She’s never been used to calling someone her boyfriend. It’s so strange to her.

 

She returned her attention to her food and silence ensued again.

 

“You know it’s so weird,” Dara spoke breaking the silence again. “We can’t seem to run out of things to say when we’re talking about work.”

 

“Do you want to talk about work?” Donghae asked.

 

“Well…yes, if it means we can have a conversation and avoid this silence.”

 

Donghae studied her before crossing his legs indian style to face her. “What are you talking about with Woo Young on your dates?”

 

He’s really asking that? “Uh… things?”

 

“What kind of things?”

 

Dara turned to look at the river for some answers at the sudden questions then looked at Donghae who seemed to be very interested in this interrogation.

 

“Uh….”

 

“I saw you laughing with him once,” Donghae said. “Must’ve been really funny things.”

 

“He was… funny,” Dara answered turning a little defensive then narrowed her eyes at him. “Now, I think you’re jealous.”

 

“No,” Donghae answered. “I was then, I’m not now.”

 

How come his admission is like music to her ears? Even if it was in the past tense. So he was jealous when she was going out with Woo Young? That would probably explain things like… what happened on that overnight trip or even that dinner with Hye Sun.

 

“See, we’re already having a conversation,” Donghae said with a satisfied smile and Dara just gave him a wry look. His smile faded as he sighedm “I’m not… a conversationalist,” Donghae continued more seriously this time. “You were right. I think we would have more to talk about if it’s about work because that’s the only thing I know I’m good at. You can only have a conversation with a partner if you’re talking about common grounds and work is probably the only thing I can participate in.” He shook his head. “I’m not… funny. I’m not witty. I… probably couldn’t make you laugh with my one liners.” He looked at her in the eyes and said softly, “I’m sorry.”

 

She could hear the sincerity of his words. Even his apology for not having the talent of being a chatterbox. “You. Are. Too. Serious,” Dara told him brightly then slapped him playfully on the shoulder. “Relax. It’s fine. Like you said, this is also a conversation.” She grinned widely at him then crossed her legs the same way that Donghae did so that she would be facing him too. “Silence is okay. It’s welcoming… sometimes and… you know, it’s a comfortable silence anyway.”

 

Donghae just gave her a smile knowing that she’s only saying that to make him feel better. Hell, he never realized that he had an insecurity until this second.

 

He never really cared about having or keeping a conversation going since he is only focused on resolving a business deal or a work issue. He never made any effort in small talks with anyone, not even his business partners. He could probably throw in a few words but somewhere along the way, he would be lost in it and then completely lose interest.

 

“How about you talk and I’ll listen?” Donghae suggested.

 

Dara gave it a thought before she suggested an alternative. “How about I ask and you answer?”

 

He tilted his head slightly. “Should I brace myself?”

 

“Probably. I’m gonna be asking really hard questions. Like a mathematical equation problems kind of questions.”

 

“Alright, I’m good in math,” Donghae said sounding confident.

 

Dara’s mouth twitched as he seemed to be taking it literally again. Mathematical equations? She sighed. “Alright. Here’s the first question.” Donghae looked at her expectantly and Dara fired it. “How did you become like this?”

 

Donghae gawked at her before his expression turned puzzled again. “What?”

 

“You are so literal,” Dara answered wryly. “Ever heard of metaphors? I mean, I’ve never met anyone who takes everything so literally. And on top of that, why are so blunt?” The tone of her voice started rising as she delivered her impassioned speech. “It’s good to be honest, I know but there is a thing as laying it down gently and with tact and not as… boom! Like… you-have-no-sense-just-kill-yourself-but-i-don’t-mean-to-offend-you kind of honesty.”

 

Donghae had his mouth slightly open at Dara’s sudden short rant then his breath whooshed out in a soft chuckle. “Wow. That… is more difficult than a math equation.”

 

“Well?” Dara prodded. “I really wanted to know.” Then softened her tone as it sounded like she’s interrogating him. “I was just curious.”

 

“Really? I feel like you’re about to shoot me,” Donghae said in amusement.

 

She narrowed her eyes at him. “Did you just made a joke?”

 

“No. I really feel like you’re going to shoot me,” Donghae said. “How long have you been holding it in? You were that mad at me?”

 

She pursed her lips before answering. Okay, maybe her tone came out sounding angry. “No… I mean I was but… I just wanted to know so I could understand you better and not dream of… I dunno. Wanting to kick you or strangle you in your sleep.” She pouted before she asked the question she doesn’t want to ask. “Is it because of Jessica?”

 

“Jessica?” Donghae repeated getting more and more bewildered. Conversation is not really for him as he could not keep up with where this is going.

 

“Yeah… she—if I’m going to be blunt—she left you on your wedding day. You’re a jilted groom. Would that be the reason you’re… like this?”

 

Donghae frowned at her. “Ya. There is nothing wrong being like this.”

 

“Just answer the question,” Dara said impatiently. “I trust your honesty. Is it because of Jessica?” She knew Donghae already answered this question at the overnight trip they did but she really doesn’t believe him and really wanted to know how much of a scar she had left Donghae with.

 

He rolled his tongue inside his cheek as he watched Dara looking at him, waiting for his answer. “No.”

 

“No?” Dara repeated.

 

“Dara, there is no back story,” Donghae said sounding amused now. “This is really me. This is how I am. This is how I was brought up. I was raised in a family who values ugly truths than beautiful lies. There is no such thing as white lies in our family. You say it like it is. My father might have been a little mellow but my mother?” He shook his head. “If you think I’m blunt, wait until you meet her. Tact is not in her vocabulary. She says everything that comes into her mind even if you ask her or not.” He paused before continuuing. “My grandfather from my father’s side was the one who raised me and he’s… also brutally honest. Especially when it comes to work so I think I got this attitude on both side of the family. There is no escape.”

 

Dara gave his response a pensive expression. Wait, she did recall meeting his grandfather and his father at the party that first night she thought she was going on a date with Lee Donghae from the dating app. “Wait… I didn’t see your mother at the party.” Donghae’s forehead creased in confusion about a party before Dara clarified wryly. “That night your assistant catfished me?”

 

He chuckled at that memory. “Oh, that. My mom was busy that night so she wasn’t able to make it.” Then added as an afterthought. “My parents were already divorced but they they’re still good friends, though.”

 

“Oh.” Is what she could only say. There’re so many things she doesn’t know about Donghae, she realized. In fact, she doesn’t know anything about Donghae except the impression she had of him and all the most basic information.

 

Donghae peered at her thoughtful expression. “Is that it?” he asked playfully. “That is the hardest question?”

 

She made a face at him wondering if she should have brought a list of questions to ask starting from what school did he go to in high school. What he did during college, his favorite food, favorite drink, favorite color…. “So, it’s not because of Jessica?” She just settled on sticking to that question. She should start with the personal questions to see if Donghae is willing to be open with her. It’s no use dating a guy who’s not willing to share any in-depth part of him.

 

Donghae smiled as he shook his head again. “No.” Then he frowned as he asked curiously, “Why are you insisting it to be Jessica?”

 

“I just….” She exhaled. “I just want to know how much of a scar she had left you.” Ugh. That sounded ridiculous now that she think about it. I want to know if you’re already over her. But of course she didn’t say that. She can’t make herself ask that considering how honest he is. She’s just not sure if she was ready for the answer.

 

“Scar?”

 

“I know, I know.” Then she gave him a lopsided smile. “I had no idea it would sound really stupid.”

 

“If she did, what’re you gonna do?” Donghae asked testily.

 

“Heal you, of course,” Dara answered without preamble. If she’s gonna sound cheesy, she’ll just do it with honesty. Donghae is talking about saying it like it is, then she’s gonna take on that challenge.

 

Donghae laughed and the sound is so rich that Dara felt proud to be the one who caused it. twitched into a smile too as she continued eating.

 

“Sorry,” Donghae apologized after getting over his amusement. He looked down at his food, his chopstick hovering over it then lifted his eyes to look at Dara with a big smile on his face. “I think you’ve been watching way too much movies.”

 

Dara smirked. “Can’t help it. I just wanted to have a reason to date you.” She only meant to pass that off as a joke but the intense stare that Donghae is suddenly giving her with that soft smile on his face after her response is making her want to blush. “Uh… it’s just a joke,” she said in a small voice then cleared as she looked down at what she’s eating.

 

“Alright,” Donghae answered placing the boxes of food between them on the top of the car so he could scoot closer to her. Dara’s heart instantly went into overdrive as their knees touched. He gave her a fond smile. “Sorry, I don’t have a scar for you to heal. I wasn’t wounded. And yes, I meant that metaphorically. But... if you want me to give you a reason to date me, how about….” He pouted as he gave it a serious thought then smoothened into a warm smile. “Making me whole?”

 

She is literally hyperventilating right now. Good god! He is not a conversationalist but he definitely knows the things to say and how to say them. What the hell?! “A—a—are you incomplete?” She stuttered. Calm down, Dara. Calm down. And here she is saying the damnest thing.

 

“No, not really,” Donghae answered.

 

Pssshhh. She scowled at his answer. And here she thought they are already having a romantic moment.

 

Donghae grinned then wrinkled his nose. “It sounded really cheesy, isn’t it? Is this the kind of conversation you were having with Jang Woo Young?”

 

Dara froze then pushed him hard on the shoulder. “Jerk!”

 

He laughed as he bounced back and he grabbed her hand when she tried to push him again. Dara shook his hold off but he only tightened his grip. Dara is really annoyed now. And really disappointed. She thought he was serious! Then froze. Wait. He wasn’t serious? Her eyes went to his amused face. He’s making a joke? Given that the joke is on her expense and her previous dating life, she was still reeling over the thought that he made a joke and he looked like he is having fun with it.

 

“What?” Donghae asked when she had been staring at his face looking so shocked.

 

“You looked so carefree,” Dara answered. “It’s so weird to me. I’m so used in seeing you so… rigid and tensed. Of course I did see a playful side of you before even if it’s a fraction of a second, but this is… this is different.”

 

“Is it bad?”

 

“No. Just… weird.” Then gave him a glare. “And I don’t understand why you keep on mentioning Woo Young. Even if it’s a joke. You can just admit that you’re jealous of him and move on.” She tried to pull her hand from his but he is not letting go.

 

“I really am not,” Donghae insisted. “I’m just trying to look for a common ground to talk about and I think Woo Young is… a subject I can participate in. He really is an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter