Chapter 10

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You insulted the COO of the company we are trying to get the contract on? Again?”

 

Donghae crossed his arms over his chest as he leaned back in his chair that afternoon when he called Eunhyuk to come to his office. It has already been 4 days since that fateful night when he inadvertently offended the COO of 21 TV. Ever since they had gotten back, he had been trying to come up with ways to salvage the situation but coming up with none. He did consider sending flowers as an apology but he could just imagine it being thrown in the wastebasket. Besides, she would probably think he only ordered Eunhyuk to send it and think that he is completely insicere. He also considered an apology over coffee but he could also foresee that big rejection he would be receiving. Going over to her office to personally apologize? But it’s her workplace. If it would be him, he would never condone anyone wasting his work hours for personal reasons even if’s for an apology. Any personal issues should be settled outside of work or after work hours.

 

So now, he’s stuck with getting advise from Eunhyuk.

 

Which would probably end up in disaster anyway.

 

“I did not insult her,” Donghae denied but then pinched  the bridge of his nose as he remembered the things he told her that night. “Hell, yes I did.”

 

Eunhyuk just laughed out of disbelief and Donghae glowered at him. “I asked you here to help me figure this thing out. Not to laugh at me.”

 

Eunhyuk sat down on the chair in front of his desk still chuckling. “Okay, I guess you would need my expertise in women.” He crossed his arms over his chest. “What kind of insult did you hurl at her this time?”

 

“I told her to act her age,” Donghae said then defended himself when Eunhyuk’s mouth fell open. “She was acting childish.”

 

Eunhyuk looked up at the ceiling as he chuckled again as he couldn’t believe his friend. “Oh man,” he muttered.

 

“She almost drowned by acting like a five year old. She could’ve died when she fell overboard!” Donghae hurriedly explained his brows furrowing at  the memory. “None of her friends even told her off on that stint and it….” He paused for a second before continued. “…it probably made me lose my temper.”

 

Eunhyuk just gave him a look which Donghae assumed is the look he only reserved for times when he couldn’t believe what the hell Donghae is thinking. “So you just told her to start acting her age?”

 

“Yes.” Pause. “After she thanked me for saving her.”

 

Eunhyuk snorted loudly then shook his head. He could just imagine the look on Dara’s face when the stoic expression of Donghae Lee told her to start acting her age. “Oh man.” He shook his head. So… you were the one who dove into the water to save her from drowning… and… in what way is she acting childish again?”

 

“She stepped onto the rails and just… spread out her arms. Any fool would realize that the rails are slippery which would then make it as dangerous especially if she is not using anything as a handhold to support herself but she had never even thought about that,” he explained.

 

“She might just be having fun,” Eunhyuk said with a loud dramatic sigh. “In all of the years she probably spent working her off in 21 TV, it’s probably the first time she had ever acted… childish.” He watched Donghae as he let than sink into him. “She’s as workaholic as you are and the taste of fresh air from the top of the yacht probably made her let go of reservations or the need to be… careful, you know?”

 

Donghae slowly durmmed his fingers on the table. “Guess I never thought about that,” Donghae muttered as he remembered that the only thing he’s mad about is her falling into the water and almost dying. He just thought it was her acting childish.

 

“I mean, if it was me you had gone off with, I would really be mad. I’d probably throw you overboard myself,” Eunhyuk continued.

 

He sighed heavily. “So, what am I gonna do?” He spread out his hands waiting for Eunyuk to answer him.

 

“How about apologizing?” Eunhyuk asked with a smirk.

 

Donghae glowered at him. Does he really think he had never done that? “I would never ask you what to do if I hadn’t done that already.”

 

“Woah,” Eunhyuk said looking surprised. “You already apologized?”

 

“I did.” Pause again. “It might have gotten out at the wrong time.”

 

“Wrong time?” Eunhyuk out a hand on his chin as he narrowed his eyes at his friend. “Describe that wrong time,” There wouldn’t be anything wrong with that question but his smirk is now so pronounced that Donghae fnally figured out that his friend is making fun of him.

 

“You know what, forget it,” Donghae finally  said dismissively. He should have known better than to ask Eunhyuk for help.

 

Eunhyuk finally laughed knowing he was busted. “Sorry man. Couldn’t resist.”

 

But Donghae had enough of this conversation as he started flipping on his folder. “No, I’ve wasted so much time on this issue. I’ll just leave it as is. If Sandara Park rejected our proposal, that’s fine.”

 

“Alright, alright, I’m sorry,” Eunhyuk repeated his apology with a chuckle.

 

“No,” Donghae said looking at Eunhyuk. “Let just leave it as is. I already apologized and spent… four days trying to think of some ways to apologize again and I have wasted so much time dwelling over this. I’ve had enough. Get back to your desk.” And completely dismissed him.

 

“Aish….” Eunhyuk just made a face at his friend before standing up to go back to his desk as what he ordered to but then he paused. “You should try apologizing again and this time, don’t think about the contract or any other benefit you would get by doing it. That really works, I tell ya.” And he stepped out of Donghae’s office. Donghae stopped looking through his folder and glanced up at the door where Eunhyuk left then slammed the folder closed and immediately ranted, “Why does everybody think I apologized because of some ulterior motive? I apologized because I know I was wrong, goddamit!” He let out an angry breath glaring at the door then realized he was acting like a complete idiot. He cleared his throat to compose himself and adjusted his tie before opening his folder again.

 

But he couldn’t concentrate. He closed the folder and rubbed his eyes feeling so restless. And contrary to everyone’s believe, he couldn’t rest easy just because he insulted the COO of 21 TV.

 

He’s not able to let this go because he had seen that hurt look cross over Sandara Park’s face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara was working relentlessly ever since she came back from that yacht trip. She had already done worth of three days work in one day and assisting her staff on their other tasks when she have free time. She felt so exhausted but she would never let that get to her, motivated by the idea of the name Sandara Park Executive VP. That gives her all the energy that no energy drink could ever give her.

 

“Hi!” She greeted the secretary of the CEO brightly.

 

“Hi Miss Dara,” the secretary greeted in return. “Oh! Mr. Yang is currently in a meeting with the CEO of Jung Su Electronics.”

 

Dara halted on her way to barge into the CEO’s office. “Really?” Again? The Jung Su head had been inside and out of the chairman’s office for almost three days straight now and often would invite her and the chairman for lunch or coffee. She had known the CEO of Jung Su electronics and he was pretty persuasive. LDH would have to up their game if they wanted 21 TV’s contract. “I’ll just come back later.” Dara thanked the secretary and walked towards the elevator to return to her office.

 

She had not heard anything from Lee Donghae ever since they came back from that trip. Nor seen even a shadow of him to be honest. He probably visited CEO Yang for the past three days and she wasn’t informed nor even invited. Maybe he took what she told him to heart.

 

Doesn’t matter anyway. I meant what I said and it’s a good thing I’m not seeing him around anymore. She exhaled through her nose. God knows what other humiliating things I could subject myself into everytime he’s around. And he’s too much of a jerk.


She continued talking to herself until she reached her floor and strode to her office. She looked at the time and saw that it was already two in the afternoon. She missed lunch again. Maybe she’ll just grab a sandwich.

 

She sat on her chair and unlocked her computer. Or maybe she’ll order delivery. She wasn’t really that hungry  but she could really use some sustenance for energy. She practically lived inside her office and her mom is already making her ears bleed everytime she comes home and everytime she will leave.

 

You always come home at three in the morning and you leave for work at 7. Are trying to make yourself sick?

 

Mom, stop treating me like a kid. I know my limits.

 

You would but your body wouldn’t.

 

Mom, this is my job on the line. I am the next executive VP of 21 TV and I have to work hard to earn that. I can lose sleep over a couple of days until I know that I really got it. This is a battle, mom. I have to fight for this and I can’t show I am worthy of it if I’m slacking off.

 

Your company would give you that position if they really want to give you that position.

 

You don’t know how it works in the business these days, mom. Everyday is a battle specially if there’s a rise in the position involved. It’s gonna be a blood bath. Once I’m the Exec VP, I can slack off as much as I want but I would need to make some sacrifices before I can get to slacking off so just relax and not worry about me. I can take this.

 

Going home is becoming much more stressful than work. Her mom is such a worry wart. Dara understands where her mom is saying but she also want her to understand that this is an opportunity she does not want to pass on. An opportunity that she wants to take by working hard for it. Who wouldn’t want to be one of the top bosses in a big company? Who wouldn’t want to assign tasks to your staff instead of working on it yourself? Who wouldn’t want a bigger pay for doing that?

 

Definitely not her.

 

The chairman better know she’s more than qualified for the job otherwise she’s going to end up doing something like trashing his car or vandalizing his office.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Her heart was beating rapidly it felt like it’s going to jump off her chest any moment now. She discreetly wiped her sweaty hands on her slacks as she sat down on one of the chairs in the conference room along with the other managers and leaders of each departments. She might look composed and poised but she’s starting to be a train wreck inside. God, she is so nervous.

 

It’s Friday morning and the Chairman had called for a meeting. Even if Dara is pretty sure this is not the announcement she is waiting for, she still can’t help but hope that this is what she is waiting for. She buttoned her coat closed in case someone might detect that rapid rise and fall of her chest.

 

The Chairman entered and all of them stood up in greeting. The Chairman waved his hand motioning for them to sit down

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter