Chapter 23

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara tossed sleepily on the bed, her hand instinctively reaching out for Donghae’s warmth but her hands fell on empty space. She opened her eyes and saw that Donghae was not beside her. She blinked sleepily as she slowly sat up.

 

And saw Donghae sitting on the chair by the window still wearing her brother’s clothes, his arms resting on his thighs, phone in his hand, his eyes on her.

 

She adjusted herself on the bed and studied  him in silence. Neither of them is speaking and Dara could not read his expression right now.

 

“Hi.” Her voice sounded raspy from sleep.

 

“Hi,” he greeted back quietly.

 

“How are you feeling?” she asked reluctantly.

 

Donghae nodded, his lips stretching into a small smile but he didn’t answer her. “Thank you for staying with me.” Then he stood up and went to the side of the bed where she’s sitting up. “You should go back to Seoul now.”

 

“Are you gonna be okay?” Dara asked. He was right that she should go back to Seoul now. She’s going to return with a lot of work piled up on her desk if she delay it but she doesn’t want to leave Donghae.

 

“Yes.” He gave her a smile before leaning down and kissing the top of her head. “I’ll be okay. I’ll take care of this issue and return to Seoul once everything is settled.”

 

Dara gave him a half- smile still noting that tired look on his face. “Okay,” she just said then tried to make him laugh. “You can have my brother’s clothes. You look so good on them than it did my brother anyway.”

 

She was glad that he was able to chuckle after looking down at the clothes he was wearing. “I hope your brother knows you’re giving away his stuff.”

 

Dara went to her knees so she would be eye level with Donghae and wrapped her arms around his neck. After her realization last night that she is actually inlove with Donghae, this feels so natural to her now. “What he doesn’t know won’t kill him,” she whispered as her nose bumped into his. Donghae wrapped his arms around her waist in return and then burrowed his head on her shoulders. They were like that for a couple of minutes before Donghae loosened his hold and let go.

 

“A driver is waiting for me at the lobby,” he said. “I’ll see you in Seoul.”

 

She nodded. “Okay.” She watched as Donghae left the room without looking back at her as he closed the door behind him leaving her in silence inside the room. She sighed loudly as she sat down on the bed with a pout. She’s really worried about Donghae. This is… the saddest she had ever seen him. You have never seen him sad before for comparison, what the hell?

 

She sighed again scratching her head as she got out of bed. She looked at her phone and saw that it was close to 6 in the morning. She guessed she would have to leave now too so she could get to her office early.

 

Then paused. How should she report this to CEO Yang?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was later in the afternoon that CEO Yang had called her to his office, After going home to only take a shower and change her clothes, she went straight to 21 TV and had expected for CEO Yang to go to his office as soon as he was informed of her presence inside the building. He must’ve been so busy that he had forgot what he had asked her to do and only remembered. She wondered what keeps the chairman distracted. She might need more of that because she honestly doesn’t know what kind of report she would be able to do as she had all but thrown the COO Sandara Park out the window the minute she walked in that burnt building and seeing Donghae looking so lost at the back of the ambulance.

 

She didn’t ask the CEO of LDH about plans.

 

She didn’t study the magnitude of the damage to ask the CEO of LDH about plans.

 

She didn’t ask about the plans because she knew the damage will cost both LDH and 21 TV a lot.

 

So yes, she didn’t do anything at all.

 

She screwed up and failed in her impeccable record of not letting any personal issues get in the way of her profession.

 

Weirdly enough, she doesn’t regret it. She trusts Donghae to be able to overcome this.

 

She saw the chairman already sitting on his desk and motioned for her to take a seat. He fired the question as soon as she sat down.

 

“How is it?”

 

Dara pressed her lips as she answered, “It was bad.” It really was. Her fingers curled on her palm as she continued. “But I don’t believe the extent of the damage will seriously affect the deadline that was set for LDH. I was assured that LDH will be able to pull through as their facility in Mokpo may be their largest laboratory but it’s not the only one.” She hoped her eyelid isn’t twitching. Oh god, for the first time in my life, I’m lying on my job. She is used to lying about her personal life but never when it comes to her profession. This is what she considered the most real out of everything in her life. One that she worked hard for to attain. She had always known that one simple lie could eventually turn into a disaster.

 

But she knew the chairman. He wouldn’t approve anything that he knows is not set. He does consult with her but only because he wanted to affirm the absolutelness of a project. But she doesn’t want to jeopardize Donghae’s career for a possibility of losing 21 tv’s account.

 

She just hoped that Donghae really does have a back up plan.

 

The CEO nodded looking relieved. “That’s good news then. Do you know that the minute the news of LDH catching fire is making the Jeong Su smug? I know the sister of the CEO. She’s very vindictive. I doubt that they would offer the same now that we have advised them of our contract termination.”

 

Dara couldn’t supply a comment feeling her hands getting cold. Is this how criminals felt like during interrogation? Thankfully, her CEO seemed to be satisfied with her answer and dismissed her when he turned to his computer.

 

Dara tried not to grimace as she gave a small nod before standing up and leaving the room. Why does her CEO trust her this much? Shouldn’t he have probed further? She suddenly felt so deflated as she pressed the elevator’s button to take her down to her office floor.

 

For all the years she had worked here, she had prided herself with integrity, not losing her values as she slowly climbed up the ladder. Now, she is just ridden with guilt for something that she has not done in all her years working in this company.

 

Which is probably the reason why her CEO took her word for it instead of getting someone else for a second opinion. She exhaled slowly as she took her phone from her pocket and looked at her phone. She wondered how Donghae was doing. She had sent a message earlier only telling him she’s in Seoul now but he had not responded and she understands. He’s definitely occupied right now with much more pressing matters. The elvator dinged and she stepped inside, putting her phone inside her pocket again.

 

Yes, she understands. But a little part of her had hoped that Donghae could’ve just let her know if he was okay or anything.

 

Or he could’ve been open with her so she could share his burden and maybe then they could figure this out together.

 

Maybe she ought to teach Donghae about teamwork once he got back here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Almost two weeks had passed that Dara has not heard anything from Donghae that she already worried herself into thinking to go over there in Mokpo and see if he’s okay. She tried calling him several times but she went directly to voicemail. She left several messages until the prompter had stated that the mailbox is already full.  She had spent most of her days unable to focus as she kept checking her phone. Even Bom and CL ceased in teasing her when they saw how she looked so bothered over that lack of communication from Donghae. They did know what happened to LDH.

 

“Don’t worry too much,” CL gently reprimanded Dara when they were out eating lunch. “I am sure he is fine. If Donghae suddenly kllled himself, of course the whole world will know.” Then put her palms up when Dara glared at her. “Alright. Bad joke. Sorry.”

 

“I don’t think Donghae is the suicidal type,” Bom continued the joke ignoring Dara’s expression. “C’mon, Dee. Donghae will be okay. Can’t you give him time to put the pieces of his whole life back together?” Of course Bom meant the LDH company as Lee Donghae’s whole life. He did mentioned dreaming about the success of LDH since he was little. “I mean he does have a deadline to meet with 21 TV, of course he will work full time for that and he can’t be distracted.”

 

It is not just that that was worrying Dara. The next day after the fire, the news had reported a total of three casualties, that old man included and she immediately called Donghae when she saw it on TV remembering how he was when the old man was brought out. How worse would he feel if another two were also pronounced dead? She had wished she could telepathically comfort him but she can’t do anything.

 

And not to mention the fact that she was bracing herself for the storm that is yet to come in her position.

 

She was already expecting for her CEO to get wind of her lie and everyday is torture for her. She was torn from wanting to be professional and wanting to protect Donghae. But given that she does not know what is happening to Donghae is making this more difficult for her. What if LDH really couldn’t recover?

 

She glanced at Bom and CL who wasn’t aware of the lie that told the Chairman of 21 TV.

 

If that is the case, then she just cost this company a big profit loss.

 

Her phone rang jolting her out of her thoughts and saw that it was her secretary. “Yes?” She answered.

 

“Ms. Dara, Chairman is asking for you at his office.”

 

Dara didn’t answer for a second because for some reason, she knew it in her gut that the chairman found her lie.

 

“Ms. Dara?”

 

“Yes. I’m on my way,” she said in a deadened voice before ending the call.

 

“What’s up?” CL asked noticing the sudden change in Dara’s expression.

 

Dara tried not to be too obvious on her feeling of impending career-doom. “Chairman Yang wants me to be in his office so I guess my lunch is done.”

 

Bom grimaced. “Aish. The chairman, really.”

 

“I’ll see you girls later.”

 

Going to the chairman’s office feels like she’s walking on death row. This is definitely what guilty feels like. Will you stop being so paranoid? Maybe the chairman had some good news. Maybe he got in contact with Donghae and everything’s fine.

 

But of course she didn’t believe herself.

 

She paused at the chairman’s door trying to gain some courage to take whatever is coming her way before turning on the knob and walking in.

 

The CEO is pacing at his desk and when he saw her, she saw his jaw clanched. And she knew.

 

“Good afternoon, Chairman,” she managed to greet him in a small voice.

 

“Sit down, Dara.” The expression on his face lacked that usual slight boredom he always sports. His face looked hard as he watched her take a seat by his desk.

 

“Dara,” he started as he remained standing. “You’ve been in this company for as long as I can remember. And for as long as I can remember, I know that I can trust and rely on you. I know that this company is in good hands just as long as you are a part of it.”

 

Dara’s head was hung low, her eyes just staring at her hands.

 

“What happened, Dara? What happened to my financial officer?” He then took a folder but then slammed it on the desk making Dara wince. “You know what I have been doing the past couple of days? Meetings! Endless meetings! I had assured the board that everything is taken care of with LDH which we have given our full account to. You have assured me that they will be able to meet the deadline and that accident will not affect this company. You did not mention that the extent of the fire had caused LDH billions of lost revenues from multiple accounts because they will never be able to provide. These accounts had retracted their contracts, Dara. They retracted their contract and proceeded with the company who can meet their needs on a given deadline. We are left behind!” The chairman is practically seething. He plopped down on his chair and Dara pressed her lips together to keep from crying because everything that the CEO just said is true. And it’s al her fault.

 

“If you had told me the truth, I could’ve worked it out with Jeong Su,” the chairman continued. “But do you think they need us now? Most of the accounts that signed up for LDH has now turned to them. Do you think they would still offer the same proposal that they did when they’re trying to win us? They’ve changed the rates, Dara. And it’s a lot higher than the alloted budget. How do I know that alloted budget? Because you sent me that report.”

 

“I’m… I’m really sorry, Chairman…,” she only managed to apologize brokenly, still looking at her hand.

 

Her apology must’ve mellowed the chairman a bit because he exhaled before continuing in a more calmed tone. “I do not meddle with personal lives but whatever your relationship with Lee Donghae….” He shook his head. “You let that pretty face manipulate you.”

 

“He didn’t told me to lie,” Dara said lifting her head up to at least tell the chairman truth in defense of Donghae.

 

“But you did anyway,” the chairman said sharply. “To protect him. To protect him and his company. I know the likes of him, Dara. Manipluative men are everywhere in this business. Do you think I did not know what is happening inside my company? I’ve been there. I’ve done all that so that I can establish this company and get where I am now. Do you think I have never used a weakness in a company before to get a project? Do you think I have never manipulated someone to get what I want so that 21 TV can be where it is now? I’ve done every damn thing to be successful and put this Tv Network at the top.” His eyes is boring into her. “And I’ve always thought you are smart enough but you let Lee Donghae use you for his own benefit. This is only the first time you had disappointed me but look how it greatly affects this company.”

 

Somehow those words really cut deep to her and she can only do nothing but look down at her hands again. Yes, she lied to protect Donghae. She lied so that he can keep their account.

 

“You want to know why I didn’t promote you as the Executive VP?” the chairman said softly as if he’s feeling sorry for her now. “You deserve it more than anyone if we are talking about work proficiency… competence. Your skills makes you a very valuable part of this company and you are one of the reasons this company is thriving. You’re dependable. Very reliable. You’re good with numbers. You are an integral part of this department.” He sighed as he continued. “But you don’t know how to fight dirty. You weren’t ready for that yet. You think the executive positions are all made up of honest people with clean games? No. They are full of tricks. It’s a rabid fight at the top. And they are going to swallow you whole if you gave them a chance to. You are way too innocent and naïve, Dara. You are strong and smart, yes, but naïve. And today I was proven right.”

 

A tear already fell down from her eyes and onto her clasped hands. She doesn’t want to cry but damn these tears, they just want to make an entrance.

 

The chairman rested his elbows on the table as he exhaled again. He was silent for a minute before he spoke again. “The board wants you out of the company.” Pause. “Your relationship with a partner obviously clouded your judgment and it is a clear conflict of interest especially since you are the Head Finance.”

 

She had been ready for this but it didn’t soften the blow regardless. She nodded as she tried to wipe the tears from her eyes as she looked up at the chairman who looked really sorry to be the one to bring her the bad news. “I understand,” she said brokenly but she still tried to smile.

 

“It’s still being discussed,” the chairman continued. “And I did everything to change their minds but the votes aren’t in my favor.”

 

She kept on nodding as her tears continuously fell and she tried very hard to wipe them off her face. “I understand. Thank you, Chairman. I’ll be handing my resignation tomorrow.”  She stood up from the chair. “And  I really really apologize for the mess I’ve caused. I know there’s nothing that I can do but I’m really sorry….”

 

The chairman only made a small nod looking very regretful and Dara turned to leave.

 

 

 

 

 

“You what?!!” CL looked positively homicidal as she got wind of the news that Dara is resigning. She and Bom had stormed inside Dara’s office that night and saw her already cleaning her desk. They thought it was just a rumor and they gaped at her in disbelief when she confirmed it.

 

“I think I would rather have a clean exit than getting terminated,” Dara tried to joke despite the fact that she feels so empty. She put all her pencils andd pen inside a box that she’s going to bring home tonight. She’ll get the rest tomorrow.

 

“I can’t believe this,” Bom said. “You made us work here because you said it would be fun to work together. We were here because of you. You worked your whole life for this company that ended up with you having no life at all?”

 

“Geez, thanks,” Dara muttered at Bom as she placed the picture frame she had inside the box. “How did you know so fast anyway?”

 

“You know how fast news spread around here,” CL answered. “What made you decide on that decision?”

 

Dara sighed as she shrugged. “I just… screwed up.”

 

“You never screw up on your job,” Bom said.

 

“There’s always a first time,” Dara said.

 

“What is this screw up that is so big that you had no choice but to quit? And by god if this is something about messing up an accounting ledger and you didn’t thought of enough bargaining to lower the cost of something, I’mma throw Bom off the window.”

 

“Heey!” Bom protested.

 

“I lied,” Dara answered simply.

 

That made both girls pause. “What?” CL asked.

 

Dara sighed as she stopped transferring her things to the box and looked at her friends. “I… made a small lie that will cost the company a huge loss in the long run.”

 

The clueless look on CL and Bom’s faces made Dara plop down on her chair. She could really feel that need to break down and cry now as her mind conveniently recalled those times she had first applied for a job, those times she had spent trying to perfect a mistake, trying to do good, working hard and that feeling of accomplishment when she got promoted as the Chief Financial Officer, that first day of opening her brand new office, feeling haggard and dead-tired that first day as the COO with all that overwhelming tasks, staying late at night to complete every reports, sleeping for only an hour to get back in the office…. She had dedicated her life for this job. This company.

 

Bom was right.

 

The only life she had was Sandara Park, the COO. That is probably why it is so easy for her to lie about her personal life because that life is nonexistent. She lived only within the confines of this place. This is her real life.

 

And now that’s all gone too.

 

The look of devastation on her face made Bom and CL exchanged glances. “Dee…” Bom murmured and Dara started to tell them everything starting from the fire up till that conversation she had with the chairman earlier, not wanting to feel too much in case she bawled in here like an idiot.

 

“So you lied to protect Donghae?” CL repeated asfter she finished. “I can’t believe this.”

 

“I just thought… I just thought it would be over in a couple of days and he would have something like… a plan….”

 

“But he left you to deal with this mess alone,” Bom finished for her.

 

“Don’t blame him,” Dara said shaking her head. “He doesn’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter