Chapter 24

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara watched his face after he answered her with that clear voice of his and noting that unfathomable expression. She just couldn’t believe it. “You know… a lot of people had told me that. I spent… all night thinking about what Jessica said… weighing in all of the things that you told me and how you acted. I had never questioned your motive... I never doubted you. Because I really thought you were… honest with me from the start.” She looked straight into his eyes and if she wasn’t focused in studying his face, she would’ve missed that tick on his jaw, the very first emotion she was able to detect. “And I was right.”

 

Donghae doesn’t seem to understand what she said at first. He was staing at her in a frozen state for a second, then his brows furrowed slightly then blinked as he gaped at her. It would’ve been comical if Dara isn’t set in making him understand that nothing could change her mind about him. She lifted the corners of in a small smile as she told Donghae the only truth she is most sure about. “I trust you.”

 

His eyes was fixed on her but a whoosh of breath came out of his mouth as if he had been holding it and he only took one step to reach her, grabbed her arm with a yank to enfold her in his arms.

 

“I don’t know if anyone had ever told you this… I think I might’ve mentioned it once but… you’re not very good in lying,” Dara said resting her chin on Donghae’s shoulders as he hugged her tighter.

 

“I’m sorry,” Donghae murmured regretfully.

 

Dara smiled as she returned his hug. “Don’t ever do that again.”

 

They both know her words aren’t meant to only be a joke of him attempting to lie but not to lie just because he thought he needs to for someone. They stayed holding each other for a good few minutes before Donghae let her go and Dara smirked as she . “Whatever happened to you telling it like it is? No white lies? Tsk tsk. You really disappointed me.”

 

Donghae frowned at her when he spotted that envelope she had in her hand and knowing exactly what that is. “Don’t quit your job, Dara.” She sighed as she shook her head but Donghae continued before she can speak. “This is my problem and you shouldn’t have been caught in this.”

 

“Well… I did lie,” Dara said.

 

“You shouldn’t had to,” Donghae said. “If only I had called and give you some information or at least contacted CEO Yang…. This is all on me and you shouldn’t be suffering for my mistake.”

 

Dara narrowed her eyes at him. “So trying to lie your way in making me think that you used me to win 21 TV is your way of not making me suffer?”

 

“It was a lame plan,” Donghae admitted. “I didn’t get to prepare a more elaborate one since I just got the news not five minutes ago that you are being held responsible for what happened with LDH.”

 

“I think you have been watching some dramas yourself if you are incorporating that plan into real life and think it is effective.” Then she exhaled as she looked down at her resignation letter that she is planning to bring to the chairman but found him gone in his office. And then coincidentally enough, she heard voices and heard that little conversation the chairwoman had with Donghae. Seeing him again made her feel relieved that he was okay though he looked like he lost some weight.

 

She had been waiting by the wall listening to that conversation, mostly the chairwoman’s monologue until she figured out how to tease Donghae by acting like she believed it.

 

Because after everything that she was told… she believed in Donghae. He couldn’t just fake everything that happened. His kisses, his touch…. No one is that good in faking it. Unless Donghae is working as an undercover actor.

 

“Don’t worry about me,” Dara said.

 

“How the hell could I not?”

 

Dara snorted. “Wow. That’s the first time I think I ever actually heard you curse. Or… somewhat of a curse.”

 

Donghae put a hand on both her shoulders and firmly told her, “Don’t do anything yet, okay. I’ll take care of this. Don’t hand in your resignation because I am very sure your CEO doesn’t want that either. Don’t do anything until I sorted out everything. Do you understand?”

 

“It’s not going to—”

 

“I have a meeting with Chairman Yang,” Donghae interrupted. “Do not do anything yet.” He kissed her on the forehead before stepping past her and going to the conference room leaving Dara watching after him. She sighed heavily as he disappeared on the corner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The meeting with the chairman was quick but difficult. Donghae drove back to LDH after his meeting with the chairman and ordered his secretary to call Eunhyuk as he entered his office. He have a lot of things to do today but all the tasks he is about to do is somewhat making him feel… free. He didn’t realize how much stress he had over this single account.

 

He stopped when he saw his father sitting inside his office waiting for him. He doesn’t look too happy when Donghae entered the room,

 

“Dad,” Donghae greeted as he strode to his desk.

 

“I cannot believe that you didn’t even call us back,” his father started. “Did you know that your mother has been harassing me every five minutes just to find out if we have heard anything from you? Your grandfather is worried sick at home.”

 

“I’m really sorry, dad,” Donghae apologized sincerely as he looked at his father. “I messed up.”

 

“Damn right you did,” his father said then he sighed before asking him. “How’ve you been?”

 

Donghae nodded. “I’m fine now. The past couple of days has been hell for me but I think I’m fine.”

 

“Call your mother,” his dad said understanding exactly what Donghae has gone through. “She would want to know her son is still still alive.”

 

The door opened and Eunhyuk entered then paused when he saw Donghae’s father there. “Oh, good afternoon Chairman.”

 

His father just nodded at him. “Alright. Then I’ll take my leave. Donghae. You will have dinner with us tonight. Your grandfather wants to see you.”

 

Donghae just nodded then asked, “I can take my girlfriend, right?”

 

“Yes—” His dad froze then balked at him breaking that usual Lee stoic expression. “Girlfriend?”

 

 Eunhyuk snorted then tried to smother it behind his hand at the way Donghae’s father is gaping at his son about that news.

 

“Didn’t mom told you?” Donghae asked.

 

“No, she did not,” his father answered looking grouchy all of a sudden about being out on the loop. “This is… a real girlfriend?”

 

Donghae just gave his father a wry look and his father cleared his throat and composed his bewildered expression fixing Donghae a stern look. “Then I expect to see this girlfriend of yours tonight. I’ll see you later.”

 

“Woah,” Eunhyuk said with s smirk after Donghae’s father left. “Your family must’ve really thought you were gay if they had never thought you would get a real girlfriend.”

 

Donghae just ignored Eunhyuk’s jab at the way his father had reacted to the news of him haviing a girlfriend. It’s understandable anyway since the last relationship he had is really decades ago. But he really had more important things to do right now. “Call our lawyer,” Donghae told Eunhyuk. “We are cancelling our contract with 21 TV.”

 

Eunhyuk smirking face fell. “What?!”

 

“We can’t deliver on the date we had promised and agreed,” Donghae said. It has been a difficult decision for him but he had to admit his loss over this. After his conversation with the chairman, they rehashed everything that is involved in this contract and they both agreed that the best way to move forward is to terminate it. Donghae had apologized for the mess in which CEO Yang had accepted. Jeong Su should be thanking him he didn’t pursue this. Donghae had handed 21 tv over to them without much pf a fight.

 

“I thought you were going there to request for an extension,” Eunhyuk said looking confued. “Chairman didn’t agree to it?”

 

“I didn’t ask it,” Donghae answered simply as he sat down on his chair.

 

“You didn’t ask it?” Eunhyuk repeated. “What the , man?”

 

“We can’t deliver,” Donghae repated himself. “We’re just going to jeopardize their projects. No company president would want that.”

 

Eunhyuk looked incredulous at what Donghae is saying. “You were concerned that the delay will jeopardize their projects? What’s a week delay? Surely they can adjust by just a week. Donghae, you worked hard for this account and you’re just going to give up just like that?”

 

Donghae sighed heavily as he looked at Eunhyuk. “I’ve involved Dara in this mess and that should not have happened.”

 

“Dara?” Eunhyuk felt like a parrot mimicking Donghae’s words. “Wait. You cancelled the contract because you think you have involved Dara. In what mess are you talking about?”

 

Donghae started to explain his sudden decision in succinct version which made Eunhyuk look more and more incredulous. He just couldn’t believe it. Dara handing in her resignation because she told the chairman everything is good with LDH and they can provide by the given date? The board wanting to kick her out for making one bad decision? Because she was involved with the partner? Conflict of interest? And Donghae giving up just like that so Dara could retain her job? And that the CEO wouldn’t want her gone anyways.

 

“CEO Yang seemed ecstatic I offered the termination because it’s obvious he doesn’t want to let his COO go,” Donghae continued. “He must’ve felt so relieved he doesn’t have to make the decision and accepted my terms of termination.”

 

“There are going to be legal fees,” Eunhyuk said.

 

“Pay them,” Donghae simply said.

 

“I can’t believe this,’ Eunhyuk said unable to believe that Donghae would really give up this account he had dreamed hard of getting. It all comes down to one point. He did it for Dara. Starting over again with another career at another company would be difficult, yes he understands that but… he couldn’t believe that Donghae would actually give way for that so Dara wouldn’t have that difficulty. “Why didn’t you just let Dara resign and let her work here?”

 

“Do you think she would want to?” Donghae asked back.

 

“Have you asked her?”

 

“I don’t need to,” Donghae said. “I know what her answer is.”

 

“She might say yes.”

 

“I’m the boyfriend,” Donghae answered wryly. “I know her.”

 

“You were the boyfriend for a couple of weeks,” Eunhyuk retorted. “You don’t really know her.”

 

“Why are we even discussing this?” Donghae said impatiently. “Get with our lawyer for the termination and all the fees and whatever that comes along with it.” He waved his hand in dismissal and Eunhyuk just scowled at him but before he could add anything more, Donghae’s extension lighted up with a beep and he pressed the answer button.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Mr. Lee, a Miss Hye Sun on the other line?” His secretary.

 

“Put her in.” He lifted the receiver and told Eunhyuk as he waited for his secretary to transfer the call. “Can you get me a new phone?”

 

“Donghae?” Hye Sun started. “Sorry to interrupt you but what is going on?”

 

Donghae paused. “What do you mean?”

 

“CL called me and she’s blaming you for what is happening to Dara. Did you know that she already quit her job?”

 

“I already talked to Dara,” Donghae answered. “She said she wouldn’t.”

 

“Uh… yes, she did. CL said Dara already handed her resignation letter to the CEO and left the building and she can’t contact her.”

 

Donghae unconsciously rose to his feet at that news. “She what?!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CL was less than friendly when D

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter