Chapter 7

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She’s drunk.

She knew she’s drunk and she can’t do anything about it.

Her head feels light and her sorrounding seems to be swirling around her. And for some reason, it’s making her giggle.

She had never giggled since she she graduated high school.

No more liquors for her.

She heard a heavy sigh and she turned her head to find Donghae looking exasperated as he helped her get inside his car and she giggled again at the look on his face. Somewhere in her mind, she understood what’s going on but it’s funny because it’s making her giggle more.

Her friends is still on their matchmaking scheme as CL and Bom—just wait until she get her hands on them—had left her and rode off while she is drinking the wine Hye Sun had brought with her from the US. She really have a high alcohol tolerance but damn, that wine—or whatever that is—Hye Sun had brought is nothing she had ever drank before. Just when she thought she’s still sober, she was sitting there laughing like an idiot gone out of her mind. And by the time she realized she was already drunk, her two evil bestfriends left her in the mercy of Hye Sun and Ahn Jae Hyun who passed the responsibility of safely taking her home on Lee Donghae’s shoulders.

And Lee Donghae, who seemed to be courteous enough not to refuse the favor the married couple had asked of him, put an arm around her waist and shoulder and half-carried her to his car.

Once she is out of her happy universe, she will kill Bom and CL for subjecting her to yet another humiliation.

The ride was silent and Dara was able to snooze for a couple of minutes to let the fog clouding her brain cleared out. She can still feel herself drunk but at least she still have her common sense. Even if it’s all over the place at the moment.

“Sorry,” Dara finds herself saying with her eyes closed.

Donghae understood that even if her voice is a little slurred but not as slurred as earlier. He glanced at her before returning his attention on the road. “It’s nothing. Are you sober now?”

“No,” Dara answered then a burst of giggle came out of her. “Oh dammit. I don’t know what the hell’s funny but it’s so funny.”

Donghae sighed again as he turned to the direction of where he remembered her house is.

“It’s not my fault, you know,” Dara said glaring at him. “You can stop sighing every chance you get just to let me know you don’t like me.”

Donghae just chose to ignore the musings of a woman in her drunken state and just continued driving.

“Why don’t you like me?” Dara asked again which she receives no response on. She continued anyway, “Don’t misunderstand. I really don’t care if you don’t like me. I just wanted to know what is it about me that you don’t like? What is it about me that guys don’t like? I don’t want to die an old maid. Of course, it’s no problem for you since you probably had a lot of women lining up for you but for me… I had to work to even get a decent date. And one time. One time that I decided to take a chance with a dating site, I ended up being humiliated.” She hit him hard on the shoulder just because she felt like it.

“Ow,” he only said his forehead creasing in surprise at the sudden show of violence.

“One time,” She repeated with a scowl. “You couldn’t even pretend to like me for that one time just to save my ego.”

Donghae glanced at her again wondering if he should participate in this drunk conversation that Dara is making in the passenger seat. She had a ferocious frown on her face while her body is turned sideways facing him now as he drive.

“You are an , do you know that?” Dara continued.

“Earlier, you told me I was cool,” Donghae find herself answering as he slowed down to a stop in front of her house..

“Well, you can be a cool ,” Dara said then looked around. “Am I home?”

“Yes,” Donghae said.

Dara opened the car door but ended up falling on the asphalt when she stepped out because she didn’t realize she was still dizzy and her knees are not cooperating. Donghae immediately ran to her side lifted her up, his arm on her waist again which Dara slapped away.

“You keep on touching me!” Dara told him even if she is practically hanging onto Donghae’s neck to keep herself upright.

“I was just helping you up,” Donghae said sounding exasperated.

“Don’t touch me,” Dara warned wanting to just sleep now.

Donghae sighed again as he let Dara cling to him to find her balance while he let his hands fall to his side since she doesn’t want his help. He frowned as his eyes went to her scowling face, almost close to his and he could smell her breath as she kept on muttering to herself. He expected to be disgusted by the smell of alcohol but for some reason, he found himself hypnotized by it. Mesmerized. The intoxicating scent held him immobilized as his eyes travelled from the crease between her forehead, the small bridge of her nose down to the stubborn set of ….

“Damn these feet,” Dara said irritatedly breaking the haze that Donghae had weirdly found himself in. Dara lifted her irritated eyes to him. “Okay, you can touch me now. My feet needs some help walking..”

Donghae cleared his throat feeling slightly embarassed at closely staring at her but did as she told him to. He wound his arm around her waist and half lifted her as he led her to her front door. They successfully reached it and Dara leaned her forehead on the door as she groaned in pain, “I’m never gonna drink again.” Now she can feel the headache creeping at the back of her skull. Just what the heck is on that wine?!

“Do you want me to call your mom?” Donghae asked then stepped back a little as Dara suddenly whirled around to face him. She teetered a little before righting herself by holding on to the door frame.

“Don’t give her any ideas when I’m not even your type,” Dara said sternly. “She would get all these crazy ideas in her head again. Tell me, Mr. Lee Donghae. Why am I not your type?”

Donghae sighed at the question Dara had posed again. He never should’ve mentioned that. Or he should’ve phrased it to sound… less offensive. He just said it at the same time his mind thought it and didn’t bother to think twice. That’s how he always is anyway. Some people find him offending but he doesn’t believe in sugar coating a glaring truth when he knows it’s going to come back to him worse. He had always been honest in all his business dealings so he they wouldn’t have to ask him why.

“Is it because you think I’m too innocent?” Dara continued with a scoff. “You are my type but you're just soooo......” She shook her head before continuing. “I’m not really interested in you but I tell ya.” She let out a single, humorous laugh as she waved her hand narrowly missing Donghae’s face. “You are soooo gonna regret it.”

“Get some rest, Ms. Dara,” Donghae said indulgently. “We’ll talk again when you’re sober. Where’s your keys?” He just took her bag before Dara could protest, rummaging through it for her house keys and wanting to get home himself but Dara didn’t even noticed as she is still immersed in her monologue.

“I am the best kisser out there,” Dara said arrogantly even while her eyes are getting cross eyed now. “Like you have no idea. My lips are addictive.” She chuckled as Donghae finally found her keys and used it to open the door. It clicked and Donghae slightly pushed it open to get Dara inside but Dara firmly stood by the door, swatting his hand off. “I’m not trying to brag but you have no idea what you’re missing. Ah. My head hurts.” She closed her eyes with her hand on her head swaying a little.

Donghae readied his arms to catch her just in case she suddenly pass out but Dara opened her eyes to glare at him. “I really hate you, Lee Donghae.”

“I understand,” Donghae told her as if he’s talking to a child. “Now, why don’t you go inside now and—“

Dara’s mouth stopped him.

She had suddenly grabbed the front of his shirt and yanked him forward, giving him a long, hard smack on the lips before she pushed him away, making him step back. Even with her drunken stupor, she seemed to have more strength than Donghae thought.

Or maybe he was too shocked to even move.

Dara grinned before flipping her hair off her shoulder and gave him a flirtatious smile.

Donghae just watched as she gave him a crazed smile, her eyes looking like they are going to shut down on its own.

“Good niiiight,” Dara said waving her fingers before going inside and shutting the door. She didn’t realize she already fell down until she felt the cold floor on her cheek and she smiled. Without lifting her head up, she took off her shoes, threw her bag on the side and closed her eyes to sleep. Yes, the floor had looked as inviting as her bed.

 

 

 

 

 

She woke up not only with a headache but her entire body seemed to be sore. She groaned painfully as she turned to her other side to get comfortable. Why does her bed feels so solid?! She lifted an eye then the other eye. The first thing she saw is a pair of slippers close to her face. She blinked before she followed the slippers to the ankle, the knee and up to the owner of that slipper.

Her mom was peering down on her with her arms crossed on her chest looking like she doesn’t know what to do with her daughter anymore. “What are you doing on the floor, Dara?”

Dara blinked in confusion before she slowly got up then put a hand on her forehead as she felt the headache attack her senses then felt the pain on her back. “Owwwww.” She looked around with a grimace then started to get up all the while feeling the pounding of her head.

“Care to tell me what happened?” Her mom asked.

“I got drunk,” Dara groaned massaging her temples. Her mind is at a mush at the moment and she couldn’t recall exactly how she ended up sleeping on the floor then gasped when she caught sight of the wall clock. She pointed at it and looked at her mom in panic. “Is that true?!!” It’s already close to 10!

Her mom glanced at where she’s pointing at before looking at her with a wry expression. “No, it is just a figment of your imagination.”

Dara scowled. Now she knows where she got her sense of humor. She sprinted up the stairs ignoring the throbbing pain in her skull. Taking a cold shower helped a little but it returned when she was getting dressed. She’s late, dammit! She decided not to dry her hair and almost ran down the stairs to the kitchen to rummage some medicine for her head before going to work but her mom beat her to it. She handed her an aspirin and a bottle of water. Bless her mom.

“Thanks mom.” She downed the aspirin and thought of grabbing a coffee on the way before she remembered she was kidnapped by her friends and her car was left in solitude at the company’s parking lot.

She hailed a taxi instead and prayed her boss hasn’t called for her in two hours yet. Unfortunately, she found several missed calls from her boss when she took her phone and several messages from CL and Bom. She scowled at their names and just proceeded in calling her boss back hoping he’s not too unhappy today. He answered before it got to voicemail.

“Park! Where the hell are you?!”

Dara winced as her boss’ loud voice is making her head pound again. “Sorry sir. I… overslept.”

“Well, get in the studio 3. Now.”

“Give me five minutes.”

She practically ordered the taxi to fly with an urgency that befits a life and death situation. She threw the driver a couple of bills and ran to the elevator, got on Studio 3 and rushed in. She paused as her boss, a couple of the staff, and lastly, Lee Donghae paused to look at her. Dara cleared to compose herself before issuing an apology. “I’m sorry for being late.”

“Take a look at this,” CEO Yang said motioning for her to come forward.

It turned out that Lee Donghae and two employees from LDH had brought a sample of three of their newest camera which are not out on the market yet and 21 Tv staff, at least three cameramen, had been carefully testing it.

Donghae and one of his assistants continued explaining the equipments’ difference to what is out on the market and how advanced it is when it comes to resolutions. CEO Yang listened attentively and Dara took her notebook and her pen to jot some notes as she nodded every now and then. Her gaze went to Donghae as he speaks, his attention going from her to her CEO, still sounding so sure of himself as he motioned with his hands while he talks.

Drinking with him last night at Hye Sun’s house didn’t change his demeanor. He is still sounding so… well… uptight wouldn’t be a farfetched word to describe him.

Donghae’s assistant started talking after Donghae nodded to him and he began to describe the lens while holding a camera, pointing to the front of the equipment and then calling for one of the cameraman for a demonstration. The image captured was very vivid to the point of looking like a 3D image.

“We’re not trying to brag,” Donghae’s assistant said jokingly to the CEO. “But you have no idea what you will be missing with this baby here.”

CEO laughed along with the assistant while Donghae just smiled though not looking like he was amused at all and Dara just jotted some notes in her pad.

I’m not trying to brag but you have no idea what you’re missing.

She froze, her pen paused from writing a letter on her pad. That sounded eerily family familiar.... Her eyes started to widen when memories started leaking from her brain little by little until the whole scenario was completed.

Her, drunk as an idiot…

Donghae taking her home…

What is it about me that guys don’t like? I don’t want to die an old maid…

Don’t touch me!

You keep on touching me…

I’m the best kisser out there…

Ah ! She felt her heart literally stopped.

She was afraid to lift her eyes and look on Donghae’s direction but she slowly did. He was talking to her CEO completely oblivious to Dara’s sudden awareness of how comepletely idiotic she had acted last night. Completely out of the respected COO’s character.

form a small O in horror when she remembered how she kissed Lee Donghae, their potential business partner. How she molested their potential business partner!

She turned her eyes back on her pad and placed a hand on because she is close to screaming at the recollection of what she did.

She’s never going to drink again! Ever!

She tried to rack her brain for what to do next. Should she pretend she didn’t remember? Drunk people doesn’t remember what they did the night before right?

Yeah, right.

Those were pretentious idiots. In all of the number of times she had gotten drunk since college, five to be exact, she can always remember what happened the night before and intensely regretting it the next day.

Today is no exception.

“Dara,” her CEO called.

“Yes!” She answered in a high pitched tone then cleared to repeat it in a more composed mannger. “Yes, sir?”

“I might need to talk to you later today. Come by my office at 4.” He exchanged some words with Lee Donghae and his assistant before shaking hands and Dara figured out it was the end of the demo. She closely followed as they walked out of the studio trying not to meet Lee Donghae’s eyes. Oh god. I can’t believe this is happening to me. I blame CL and Bom, those… dead es! She bit her lip as she gripped her bag and hoping she didn’t lose whatever respect Lee Donghae has left for her.

From that stupid matchmaking site, to that time they got stranded, to her mom, and now….

She tried not to groan loudly as Donghae seems to have the knack to witness every embarassment and humiliation life will ever put her through. They rode the elevator, Dara mostly hanging her head as she was bombarded by all the stupidity she had done last night while her boss and Lee Donghae conversing in small talk. She gingerly touched her lip as she recalled the way she pulled Donghae for a kiss.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter