Chapter 6

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I just re-wrote this in english since some have messaged me that they can't understand XD I might have missed some tagalog words though.


=============================================================================================================================

Dara was walking on a flower field with her long flowing white dress, her hair blown by the wind. She felt so free, so happy and she was laughing. A hand stretched out over to her and she received it with a smile. His hands were warm against hers and she looked up at him, the blare of the light behind him obscuring his features but she could see him smiling too.

 

BAM! BAM! BAM!

 

The sound resonated all around her as the beautiful dream suddenly dissolved and her eyes flew open. She blinked, dazed and she heard it again. This time, a soft sound of a knock.

 

On her door.

 

She sat up feeling disoriented. Where am i? Who am i? She closed her eyes and shook her head before rubbing her eyes awake. She yawned widely as she climbed out of bed and strode towards her door not even bothering to look through the peephole.

 

Donghae was standing in front of her door looking neat and awake compared to her dishevelled, disoriented appearance. She blinked and finally realized she is not in her own home and is actually inside a hotel with Lee Donghae who looked immaculate this early in the morning.

 

“I assume you’re… not ready to go?” he asked hesitantly as he studied her.

 

“Ready to go? Where?”she stupidly asked.

 

“Uh… Seoul,” Donghae answered.

 

“Ah, right.” She sighed. It all came back clearly to her now. They got stranded because Lee Donghae doesn’t know how to change a flat tire and had no choice but to stay inside a hotel.

 

And how stupid she had acted.

 

“Give me 30 minutes,” Dara said, fully awake now as the events of last night filled her brain with embarassment. She closed the door and immediately went inside the bathroom to wash her face. She had been really restless last night as she was not comfortable sleeping in her corporate attire. She felt so unkempt now. She brushed her teeth with the toothbrush-hotel-provided and washed her face with the soap. It’s a good thing she always had her hair brush and face powder with her, otherwise, she would look like Lee Donghae’s PA.

 

Seriously, that guy doesn’t look like he had been tired. So exasperating! While she…. She stared at herself in the mirror and thanked her genes for this beautiful skin and youthful face. Apart from her swollen eyes, she still looked okay.

 

She grabbed her bag and saw Donghae waiting for her at the lobby. He was sitting in one of the couches and he stood up when he saw her approaching. “Signal is really bad,” he said. “We might have to take the bus.”

 

Bus? She gave him a wry look because she doesn’t really have much choice now, does she? Bus is definitely okay. If you’re not wearing heels! Donghae seemed oblivious of her predicament as he continued, “I already checked us out. Are you ready?”

 

“Yes,” she asnswered halfheartedly.

 

It was a nighmare for her feet as the student-receptionist forgot to mention that the bus they were supposed to take would mean risking your life on the line as you board it. Donghae had to pull her so she can climb up first before the man, who not even stepped on her foot but also elbowed her on the face, as they started the race of Who Can Get Inside The Bus First. She felt like she was battered and bruised by the time they found a tiny space to stand on. It feels like a can of sardines inside as the bus driver kept on picking passengers even if it’s already full and she and Donghae kept being pushed back until they are standing almost at the back so the new passengers can be accomodated. The ride is too bumpy and she couldn’t find anything to hold on to and she ended swaying back and forth like a freakin’ boat in a stormy sea. And her face had to smack at a man’s back that is wet with sweat when the bus lurched to a stop. Donghae had been too busy on the phone to notice her distress. He was holding onto the overhead railings and she wanted to kick him because even with her heels, her arms can’t reach that far. She have to stand on her toes to reach it and she won’t go through this trip suffering like a ballerina.

 

The bus lurched to a sudden stop again and to her horror, she found heself flinging forward directly to a sweaty man’s armpit, her face already directed on that… gross thing. Oh shiiiiit!! She closed her eyes waiting for her horrendous fate but Donghae got a grip on her wrist and pulled her before she can smack her face on that guy’s arm pit.

 

“Careful,” Donghae just said returning his hand onto the railings.

 

Her heart was beating really fast from escaping that horrible accident of knowing how an arm pit tastes like. Oh my god. She would probably spend endless nights having nightmares about arm pits for the rest of her life! The bus moved forward and she tipped back getting out of balance again but before she could fall on someone, Donghae encircled her shoulder with the arm he was using for contacting someone to keep her steady. Her heart was still beating fast but now, it was entirely for a different reason as she looked up at Donghae who was looking out at the window. She heard his cellphone chimed and he immediately brought it to him to read the message ending up with Dara almost plastered to his chest.

 

She bit her lip as she felt her heart go wild. And he smelled really nice. She only did a second thought before inhaling once more and tried to fight the grin on her face as she realized how completely oblivious Lee Donghae is to her subtle advancements.

 

“Dara,” he said that made her stiffen. Oops. He already found her out. “My driver is going to pick us up at the bus stop.”

 

Or not. “Good,” she just said, her nose touching his chest.

 

It was about more than an hour that a seat became available and pretty soon, the passengers got off one by one until  there’s only a number of them. No conversation passed between them again. Probably because Donghae feels exhausted too. She could hardly remember being this exhausted commuting when she was in high school. Sign of aging?

 

She didn’t realized she had dozed off when Donghae tapped her on the shoulder telling her they already need to get off. Donghae’s driver was waiting for them at the bus stop like what he said.

 

“I’ll take you home,” Donghae told her.

 

“No, that’s okay,” Dara responded sleepily. “I’ll have my brother pick me up.”

 

“C’mon, Miss Park,” Donghae said. “It’s the least I can do after putting you through that.”

 

Dara scratched the side of her neck and just agreed since she is not in the position to fervently decline right now. “Alright. Thank you. I appreciate it.”

 

They arrived in her house minutes later and she thanked Donghae and the driver. “Do you want something to drink first?” She offered merely out of courtesy.

 

“No, that’s okay. Thank you,” Donghae graciously declined.

 

“Boss,” the driver interrupted. “I wasn’t able to check the tires earlier when I received your message. I might need to get some air into it first. And some gasoline too.”

 

Donghae let out an exasperated sigh because he really wanted to go home already and he’d rather be comfortable in a couch or a seat made out of something soft rather than staying in the car. He turned to Dara. “On second thought, I think I’ll take you up on your offer for a refreshment.”

 

Dara led him into her house and she found her mom pacing the front door like a civil guard. Her mom’s eyes narrowed menacingly when she spotted her. “And where have you been? You didn’t even call? Not even a message?! I was up all night worrying about you!”

 

Dara immediately went to her mom to shush her. “Ma! We have a visitor.” She whispered when she got to her.

 

Her mom spotted Donghae standing at least five steps away from them.

 

“Good morning,” Donghae greeted courteously.

 

Her mom gawked at him for a second, her eyes travelling from his face to his shoes and back again before her face broke into a wide smile. “Oh, you have a visitor. Come in, come in.” She motioned with her hand and ushered him into their living room and practically pushed him to take a seat in their sofa. “What do you want? ? We have cranberry juice, pineapple juice, apple juice, coke, sprite, royal—“

 

“Ma,” Dara interjected. “We don’t have a vending machine.” She turned to Donghae. “We have iced tea,”

 

“Water’s just fine, thank you,” Donghae answered.

 

Dara looked at her mom who was scrutinizing Donghae as she sat on the side of the couch.

 

“Mom, water,” Dara said, her eyes giving her mom warning signals.

 

“Go and get him some water,” her mom said.

 

Why did she even ask for Donghae to stay for a drink? “Mom, I need to talk to you.”

 

“We have the whole day to talk,” her mom said. “Talk to me later.” She turned to Donghae with a very warm smile.

 

Arrrggh!  She immediately went to the kitchen and took out a water pitcher from the refrigerator and a glass before going back to the living room. As she expected, her mom is already interrogating Lee Donghae.

 

“No… we’re uh… we’re… potential business partners,” she heard Donghae answer sounding a little uncomfortable.

 

“Just business partners? No other… potential?” Her mom asked.

 

“Mom!!” She placed the wated on the table and glared at her mom.

 

“I was just asking,” her mom said before turning to Donghae again. “My daughter is really nice if you fed her enough. She doesn’t really know how to cook but she’s a fast learner. Very family loving and she loves kids! Do you like kids?” Donghae is looking more and more uncomfortable by the minute. “I’m telling you she will be a great wife although she’s a little bit on the nagger side and—“ Dara had to drag her mom off the sofa and into the kitchen with a horrified look.

 

“Mom! Would you stop it!” She really stomped her foot on the floor. “I’m already beyond humiliated and I don’t need another episode to further that point. He’s a potential business partner of our company!”

 

“I was just asking!” Her mom insisted. “And you spent the whole night with him. Didn’t something happen?”

 

“Mom!” She growled.

 

“You’re not getting any younger, Dara, If you don’t want to take action, I will take the action for you. I also want to have grandchildren.”

 

“Oh god, mom!” Dara placed her hands on her mom’s shoulders and looked straight into her eyes. “Let me manage my own lovelife. He is not my type and I am not his type. We are just plainly together for business reasons.”

 

“But—“

 

“Mom, you will be the first to know if I’m dating someone. But if there’s none, there is none so please!” Donghae had witnessed a number of her most embarasing moments already starting with that stupid dating site and she doesn’t need another.

 

Her mom relented after seeing the beseeching look of her dauhgter’s eyes. “Fine.”

 

She exhaled and let her arms drop.

 

“But let me just talk to him—“ Her mom started.

 

“No!” Dara interjected with a glare. “Mom, you will stay here or I swear to god I’m gonna hang myself in my room.”

 

“Dara—“

 

“I swear I’m gonna hang myself tonight!”

 

Her mom crossed her arms over her chest and Dara saw that as a sign of concession so she left her mom inside the kitchen and went back to the living room.

 

Donghae was drinking water when Dara returned to the living room. “Sorry about my mom.”

 

Donghae nodded. “It’s okay.” He had already sent a message to his driver to get here as fast as he can as soon as Dara and her mother disappeared inside the kitchen. It has been awkward and Dara’s mother’s idea of her daughter spending the night with him is making him feel like he’s being trapped somewhere.

 

Silence followed and Dara tapped her shoe on the floor wondering what to say.

 

“I think I’ll just have my driver pick me up at a….” He racked his brain for anything that is near here but he doesn’t even know where here is.

 

“Good idea,” Dara said not waiting for him to finish his excuse. “Thanks for taking me home. Drive carefully.” She smiled going to the open door and looking at Donghae.

 

Donghae could only let out a breath before standing up. Well, easy way out. “Thank you for the water. Please tell your mom I went ahead.”

 

“No, that’ll probably give her ideas,” she told him.

 

“Right. Well… thank you. And… I hope you can consider my proposal.”

 

“Proposal?!” A voice rang out and they both turned to find her mom standing there with an excited look upon hearing the word and no doubt thinking differently.

 

“Bye now,” Dara said practically pushing Donghae out the door and slamming the door in his face, then turned to her mom. “Mom, you are really close in ruining my professional image.” She kicked the shoes off her feet in irritation.

 

“Proposal?” Her mom ignored what she said. “Did that man already proposed to you? Were you lying to me?”

 

She stomped towards the stairs ignoring her mother.

 

“Dara!” Her mother called again. “I’m still talking to you!”

 

But she raced up the stairs and slammed the door then ranted at it. “Would I lie about having a boyfriend?! I’m already 33! Why would I lie?! You’re making me feel worse mom!” She plopped down on her bed with a scowl trying to calm herself then sniffled. Chuckling to herself without any humor, she wiped her runny nose. Damn, she is close on having a pity fest and all because her mom is being such a pest!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s hand was typing furiously on her keyboard for the summary of her visit to the LDH Facility when her office door burst open and she jumped, startled.

 

CL had rushed inside the room with an excited expression as she approached her table.

 

“Ever heard of knocking?” Dara said with a scowl.

 

But CL ignored what she said as she announced. “Hye Sun’s back!”

 

Her irritation evaporated at the news and she stood up from her seat, momentarily forgetting about her report. “Really?!”

 

“She had been trying to call you but she can’t get through. I told her it’s because you are super busy what with aiming to be a millionaire next year so she was able to contact me and she’s inviting us over for dinner at their new house.”

 

“Are they staying here for good?” Dara asked excitedly.

 

“Jae Hyun was assigned here for a year and they still don’t know if that would end up being permanent but at least, we have a year to have fun again!”

 

Dara felt the grin spreading over her face as she recalled those times when she, CL, Bom, and Hye Sun gets in trouble together since they were in high school and still get together as a Universit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter