Chapter 13

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s not a date, Dara. Geez, just shut your mind and focus on your work! Dara shook her head to clear out all the images of Donghae telling her to have lunch with him as it keeps on getting in the way of her concentration. She let out a whoosh of breath and willed her mind to direct its energy on her task of addressing every emails on her mailbox.

 

Maybe we could do lunch instead.

 

Dara gave a loud exasperated sigh as she put her hands on her forehead, closing her eyes as the feathery  image of Donghae giving her a fond smile saying those words kept on popping inside her head.

 

And it’s not even how he looked when he told her that early that morning. What is wrong with her?! She gave another loud sigh and leaned back on her chair.

 

“So okay,” Dara said talking to herself while looking at the long line of unread emails on her mailbox. “I really have a…crush—” she stressed the work like it was the most icky thing that had ever happened to her. “—on Lee Donghae. So what? I’m an adult. I have a right to get crushes even at my age.”

 

And yet you feel like a teenager on a possible date with the guy you’ve been crushing on.

 

“Ugh!” Her brain is really her biggest enemy nowadays. She closed her eyes and massaged her temples muttering to herself, “It’s fine. It’s just a… an admiration. He’d just gotten so nice and friendly which is the reason why a weak-hearted girl like me would be—”

 

“Ms. Dara?”

 

She jumped on her seat with a start to see her secretary by the door. “Yes!” She answered in a high pitched tone feeling the blood rushing on her face at the thought of someone hearing her mutter to herself.

 

About a crush.

 

“The director for the new reality show is already in room 5 on the 3rd floor.”

 

“Oh, right,” Dara said closing her computer and straightening her polo shirt. She have just read it a few minutes ago. Her CEO can’t make it to the meeting so he assigned his loyal servant to stand in for him. Why is she not surprised?

 

What she was surprised on is how young the director is when she went to the meeting room. And very pretty to be working outside of the camera. “Hi,” the director said shaking her hand. She had a very sweet and kind smile.

 

“Hi,” Dara greeted back and motioned for them to sit down. “I didn’t realize you were so young, Director Jung.”

 

The director chuckled. “Just call me Jessica. Or Jess to make it short. I guess the Chairman didn’t told you, huh?”

 

“No, he didn’t,” Dara said mentally strangling her boss. “And please, call me Dara.”

 

“I’ve worked with CEO Yang before. That was… way back. I was just starting out then and he gave me a chance so….” She shrugged smiling.

 

“Hah,” Dara only said. She couldn’t imagine her CEO giving anyone a chance.

 

But then again, he did gave her a chance when she applied for a job without any work experience. She was a freshly graduate trying her luck in the media industry. She inwardly sighed not wanting that memory to soften her attitude on her CEO. She already paid him ten times over. And she had no doubt that he would use this young woman’s skills until he bled her dry.

 

“Anyway,” Jessica interrupted her thoughts. “I’ve received the script and the storyboard but… I would really like to throw in a few ideas. Sorry, but I’m going to be a nightmare for your writers.”

 

Dara chuckled at that. “Don’t worry. At least they would be able to empathize with my staff from now on.”

 

Mnutes later, the writers came and sat one by one with pens and notebooks. Jessica was very smart and she is very serious on her job. Dara listened attentively, nodding her head at points she considered a very good idea and throws in a few one herself. It doesn’t matter the cost. Her CEO will be the one to produce it anyway and he didn’t mention any budget.

 

The meeting lasted for two and a half hours before they called it a wrap. Jessica thanked each and everyone of the writers telling them she’s looking forward to working with them. Dara felt her phone vibrated and she checked on the message. Her heart started palpitating when she read the message of Lee Donghae.

 

Meet you up at Nolza for lunch?

 

Nolza was a restaurant a couple of blocks away from the building. She had never eaten in there before as it is too crowded whenever she decided to or she’s too tired to drive by. But it’s perfect.

 

Shut it, Dara. This is not a date. It’s your payment for inconveniencing him. Like he said. Stop being so excited!

 

She cleared before sending a short response.

 

Sure.

 

She wanted to add See you there but it’s too informal. But her response is too… cold. So she just added a thumbs up emoji and looked up at Jessica thanking the last writer .

 

Jessica smiled at Dara. “Well, I guess I’ll see you around, Dara.”

 

“Of course.” Then she paused. “Hey, have you had lunch?”

 

“No, I was planning to go your cafeteria to eat. Do you want to join me?”

 

“Well, actually I was meeting someone for lunch.” Then she added immediately in case Jessica misunderstood it. “For an… informal business meeting. Do you want to come?”

 

“I really don’t want to be a third wheel,” Jessica said with a laugh.

 

Dara reddened. “No! No, it’s not a date.” It’s better to have someone come with her for this lunch. Since it’s not a date and that would stop her from thinking that it was. “Definitely and absolutely not a date. You would definitely want to meet him too as he would supply the equipments for the shooting.” She explained over the look of confusion on her face. “You know LDH Electronics? Well, they offered to use their equipments for trials and it would definitely help if you would be there to… I dunno… discuss what camera you wanted?”

 

A strange look crossed over Jessica’s features but Dara didn’t noticed as she kept on prattling. “I heard Nolza is a great restaurant and there are raving reviews about their food.” Please come otherwise I would sink into the thought that I really like Lee Donghae.

 

Jessica bit her lip looking like she’s considering it then smiled. “Alright. I would… love to have lunch there.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They arrived too early. Or early as in Lee Donghae was not there yet. Dara felt relieved that she had someone with her otherwise she would feel like she’s too excited for this lunch by arriving early. The waiter led them to a spot by the middle of the restaurant and Dara picked the menu. She told Jessica it’s on her since she’s gonna pay for Donghae’s too anyway.

 

“Hmmm, I actually don’t know what he would like,” Dara muttered scrolling at the menu.

 

“You could… try the steamed fish fillet for him,” Jessica suggested. “I mean, everybody loves fish.”

 

“Thank you,” Dara said with a grin. “That’s what I’m thinking. And he shouldn’t be choosy over a free meal.”And it’s a lot cheaper. She didn’t realize the restaurant is a fine dining and the prices are so over the top. She motioned for the waiter for their order.

 

Minutes later, Dara spotted him entering the restaurant wearing casual clothes and she refrained herself from sighing. Dammit, why is he looking better and better each day?

 

Donghae smiled at her when he reached the table and saw that there was another one sitting there. “Sorry, I was late.”

 

“No, that’s fine,” Dara said. “I’ve brought one of our new directors. I hope you don’t mind.”

 

“Not at all,” Donghae said turning his head to greet the director but he froze when he saw who she was. Smiling up at him from the chair.

 

“Jessica, he’s the chairman of LDH Electronics—“ Dara started introducing them.

 

“Donghae,” Jessica finished for her still looking at Donghae who was only briefly surprised when he saw her. Now his face is back to looking like he doesn’t care about anything. “It’s nice to see you again.”

 

Donghae nodded at her before taking a seat and Dara was turning her head back and forth. “You two knew each other?”

 

“Yes,” Jessica answered her. “We both had gone to the same University.”

 

“Oh, really?” Dara said looking pleasantly surprised. “Then you know Goo Hye Sun? Ahn Jae Hyun?”

 

“I know Ahn Jae Hyun. Goo Hye Sun, not so much.”

 

“This is cool,” Dara said with a grin. “They’re my friends.” Then she turned to Donghae who was silently looking at the menu. “I’ve already ordered for you since I’m paying for it.”

 

Donghae looked at her. “I’m not gonna let you pay for this. I invited you here.” He motioned for the waiter. “I want some steamed fish fillet.”

 

“Oh, that’s what I’ve ordered for you,” Dara said. Thank god she listened to Jessica.

 

Donghae paused again and his eyes went to Jessica who was watching him. But then she averted her gaze down when he caught her looking at him. “Alright,” he told Dara. “Thank you.”

 

This time, Dara caught it. That look Donghae gave to Jessica… Jessica looking down… she finally caught the awkwardness sitting in the air. What is going on? Why do I feel like there’s some tension in here? But before she could delve into the sudden weirdness, Jessica took her bag and apologized to her.

 

“I am so sorry. I just remembered I had a meeting with Wonderland Cinema Productions. I’m such an idiot. I promise I’ll make it up to you. I don’t want to leave a bad impression.”

 

“No, that’s fine. Go on ahead,” Dara said.

 

Jessica stood up. “Thanks, Dara.” She nodded at Donghae who only gave her a blank stare. “It was nice seeing you again, Donghae.”

 

“Sure,” Donghae just said. Jessica gave a small smile before she started to leave the restaurant. Dara watched her go then looked silently at Donghae.

 

Who is again looking so unbothered.

 

“Do you want something else other than the fish?” Dara said trying to lighten up this sudden weird atmosphere after several minutes of silence.

 

“What else are they offering?” he asked looking at the menu again.

 

“The waiter told me the best seller is the shrimp something.” She pointed at the picture of the shrimp then did a double take at the price. She didn’t noticed the price when the waiter was discussing the menu earlier. “But… I’m pretty sure it’s not that… delicious. Just stick with the fish.”

 

Donghae rolled his tongue inside his cheek thoughtfully. “No, I think I want to try the shrimp.” He motioned for the waiter again.

 

Gah! Too expensive for a meal! Her credit card’s already at the limit. How embarrasing would it be if it gets declined at the pay out.

 

“Do you want something else?” Donghae asked her.

 

I think I might have to stick with water. “No, I’m good. I would also have Jessica’s steak so I think it’s enough for me.”

 

“I think I also want to try this bulgogi and… fried octopus… steamed bun looks delicious….”

 

“Donghae,” Dara said sunding exasperated, her lips in a straight line. Time to be honest rather than be embarassed later on. Even if that’s nothing new anyway. “How big is your stomach? Do you realize there are a lot of starving people in the planet? Are you eating for a whole family? Buy what you can only eat and not waste any food. And not all people have unlimited funds.”

 

She expected Donghae to be surprised at what she said but he laughed that she was caught off guard at the sound. His eyes are crinkling in laughter when he looked at her. “You need to relax, Ms. Park. I don’t let women pay for the meals.”

 

Well, she wasn’t embarassed that he knew she wasn’t as rich as him and he understood what she can’t say. Or maybe the expression on her face is too obvious.

 

She’d better take advatange of this. Shame be damned. “Well… if that’s the case….” She took the other menu on the table then added brightly. “I’ve always wanted to try this buffalo wings and… the shrimp really does look mouth watering.”

 

Donghae was smiling as he told the waiter their additional orders. Probably amused at her frugal ways and yet taking advantage of someone who is not.

 

“I want to thank you for lunch but I thought I was paying for… what was your word? Oh yeah. Inconveniencing you,” Dara said after the waiter left.

 

“I was inconvenienced,” Donghae responded without even a pause. “Accompanying me on lunch is your payment for that.”

 

She doesn’t want to feel thrilled that he wanted her company but she does. “You should’ve told me that from the beginning,” she wryly told him.

 

“What else would I mean when I asked you out on a date?” Donghae said looking at his phone to send Eunhyuk a message to confirm the meeting with the lawyers completely oblivious at the surprised frozen look of Dara from across the table.

 

Dara was staring at Donghae with partially open. Date? He asked her out on a date? This is a date? That’s what he said, right? Did she just imagined it? Donghae looked up and Dara immediately looked down to conveniently read the menu again, putting a hand on looking very intent in studying the exorbitant prices of this place and her heart can’t stop racing like a marathon.

 

“Do you want something else?” Donghae asked.

 

“No, no I’m fine,” Dara said unable to look up. “The prices of the food is making me nervous.”

 

What the hell was that???!!! She mentally kicked herself. Why would she say something out of nowhere? Can she be any weirder?

 

Donghae watched her face turning red for whatever re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter