Chapter 27

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The exciting news doesn’t seem to be exciting anymore. A year. In the US.

 

A year without seeing Donghae. A year.

 

Of course she should’ve understood it right away.

 

“So what if it’s a year?” Dara managed to say still wearing the smile she had earlier. “A year could go by without you noticing it. What are you hesitating for?”

 

Donghae sighed then put a hand under her chin to make her look at him but before Donghae could say anything, Dara shook her head then gave him a warm smile. “I know what you’re worried about. I’ll be fine. We’ll be fine. We can work it out. You know, long distance relationships can work with the technology today. We can call each other, chat, video call… it’s endless. Yes, I’m going to miss you but if the feeling became unbearable, then I’ll just visit you in the US.” Well, that could be possible. If she had a high paying job.

 

“It’s already difficult for me for a week. How can I stand a year?” Donghae asked her as if she had the answer to that.

 

It was her time to boop his nose. “Then I would suggest you spending as much time as you possibly can with me until it’s time for you to become the world’s no. 1 Electronics Company.” She raised herself on her toes and wrapped her arms around his neck. “This is an opportunity you just cannot pass. And if you didn’t take this, then I guess I don’t have any choice but to dump you. I can’t date someone who is not smart enough not to grab a chance of a lifetime with his career, you know.”

 

He wrapped his arms around her waist to pull her closer before he exhaled loudly. “I’m already missing you,” he said in a low whisper. He knew, the moment that EXO Group had proposed the partnership, that this is the chance he had been waiting all his life. There is just no way he’s going to pass this up but his mouth had uttered different words which made Eunhyuk gape at him in complete total shock at the rejection that came out of his mouth.

 

I am very honored that you think LDH as a worthy partner for a big corporation such as EXO Group but as of right now, LDH is still working on re-establishing the company in Korea before we can decide on launching overseas.

 

Think about it first, Mr. Lee. We are really looking forward to work with LDH. We’ll give you a week to decide. It was a pleasure meeting with you.

 

Eunhyuk had gave him hell after the meeting and Donghae is not able to respond to anything because he knew his friend was right. He had spent all of his time thinking about it and trying to decide what should be the right decision. He had no doubt Dara would urge him to say yes but the main enemy in this entire scenario is himself.

 

He just didn’t want to be away from her for that long.

 

In a week, he had no idea that missing someone could be so close to be debilitating but for a year? How is that going to go for him?

 

Part of him wants Dara to tell him not to continue with it but a part of him knows that it is highly unlikely.

 

Dara looked at him with a smile. “If I was in your position, I would’ve said yes already.” She played with the side of his hair. “I met you as a workaholic, oblivious, focused man who knows what he wants and I expect nothing less.”

 

Donghae just watched her intently then sighed. “I’m left with no choice then. I’ll be going home two-three times in a month so make sure you have your days cleared to spend with me.”

 

Dara gaped at him. “Really? You’re going home every month? Isn’t that expensive?”

 

“I’m rich. I can afford to spend it on plane tickets.”

 

Dara scowled then a grin spread over her face. She could work with that. “See? We can compromise.”

 

He chuckled then clasped her hands with his as she tugged her forward to continue their tour of Dara’s neighborhood.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As she had expected, Donghae did kept his promise. After flying off once again to the US to start his training, he had come home the next month to spend time with her. He had been excited to tell her about the trainings and as much as they only have two days, they made use the most of it by simply going out and talking. Dara had never felt so satisfied just seeing that happiness radiating off him knowing that he had reached his dream for his company. He was lively the first time he visited but for the next, he looked somewhat exhausted so Dara suggested they could just spend it at his home and he could relax while she bakes him some cake. He would sleep for a good 12 hours, which is really not a problem with Dara, until he wakes up and then they would spend the rest of the night just joking around and if he had the energy, they would go out into the city and just enjoy the night, sometimes up there in the Namsan tower just talking. Sometimes making out or just holding each other until it’s time for Donghae to get ready and go back.

 

It’s like a cycle that repeats until the fifth time he came home and Dara wondered if Donghae would get tired of it someday and would just altogether settle for just videocalling. She could’ve just told him that but a part of her was selfish. A part of her that mostly gets in the surface of her thoughts to disregard the rest.

 

On days before Donghae comes home, she spend it trying to perfect her baking skills. So far, her friends were gushing about the cakes she made, telling her that she finally found her talent. The most she was proud of, was her cheesecake. And to earn what she can, she started to do an online ad for anyone who wishes to order. Of course her first customers are her friends and then some people in 21 TV. And when the tale of her very delicious cheesecake spread on the online community, that’s when her business started rolling and she couldn’t wait to tell Donghae about her growing business.

 

Dara read Donghae’s message to her while she was waiting for the lights to turn green.

 

Off to the airport. Can’t wait to see you.

 

She smiled widely, her heart b with anticipation. The message was from yesterday so it would be a couple more hours until Donghae is back. He would be driving home, she would meet him there, he can sleep to rest and when he wakes up, she can tell him all about her cheesecake business and he can tell her about how his training is and then he would probably doze off while she order some food for dinner and then wake him up with a kiss, and then they could eat and talk, spend it on whatever, until it’s time for Donghae to get back. Their usual routine.

 

A honk behind her made return her gaze on the road and seeing the lights already turned green, she pulled the gearshift and drove. She’s on her way to a delivery. Someone ordered three boxes of cheesecake and the address is on Choi Hotel which is really on the outskirts of Seoul. Really far but they paid for shipping so that would be enough for her gas. She wondered if maybe someone is having a party over there.

 

Trying to balance the three boxes of cake, she waited until the receptionist had confirmed it with the occupant of the room Dara was advised to deliver the cake to. One of the bellhop guided her to the elevator—like she didn’t see where it was—and she pressed the floor button. If she already had enough money, the first thing she would do is hire a delivery man. Being a one-man business is so hard.

 

She pressed the button when she reached the room and tapped her foot while she waited for someone to open the door.

 

When it did, dropped open in shock because that person is the last person she expected. In fact, she never expected to see her again at this time. At all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Do you want some coffee?”

 

Dara gave a small nod as she poured her a cup and placed it in front of her on the table. Dara’s hands were sweating because she is definitely not ready for this meeting. She is just on her sweatpants and sneakers, her hair in a loose bun. She is far from the woman she was when they first met.

 

Hezy So, Donghae’s mother, sat down across from her with her dainty fingers holding the coffee cup as she scrutinized her. “How are you, Miss Park?”

 

Dara cleared before answering, “I’m doing good.” She felt a little intimidated and insecure. She had the guts to answer her when they first met because she was someone important then but how can she do that now when she’s basically no one anymore?

 

Donghae’s mother gave a soft chuckle before placing the cup down on the glass table. “Please relax. I’m not here to eat you alive.” She took a bite of the cheesecake that she sliced and nodded in satisfaction.

 

Was that a joke? Was she supposed to laugh? Dara’s really not sure.

 

Donghae’s mother sighed when Dara’s expression didn’t change. “I guess I did made a very scary impression the first time we met. I was just kidding at that time. I was trying to annoy my son.” She studied Dara and her smile faltered when Dara didn’t gave much of a reaction. “Okay, Ms. Park.” She placed the fork back on the plate. “Let me spell it out so we could… enjoy this afternoon without any… further… tensions.” She gave Dara a genuine smile. “I like you. I like you for my son. I was glad that my son met you.” She waited for Dara to take that in, the latter’s eye widening, before continuuing. “You have made so many changes to my son that even I get shocked of seeing.”

 

Dara’s breath whooshed out in disbelief and she made a small bow of her head. “I am really sorry for my attitude before Chairman So. I just… I didn’t know what came over me and—“

 

“it’s fine, Miss Park. Don’t worry about it.” She waved her hand in dismissal. “Can I call you Dara?”

 

“Of course, of course.”

 

They were silent for a minute as Donghae’s mother studied her intently making Dara feel really uneasy. There was just something really intimidating about Chairman So.

 

“In all honestly, Dara,” she spoke softly. “I am really glad my son met you.”

 

That is a very big compliment in dara’s opinion. “Thank you,” Dara said completely pleased in hearingg it from Donghae’s intimidating mother.

 

“But you need to let him go right now.”

 

Dara’s pleased smile froze. What did she say?

 

Chairman’s So turned serious and solemn.“There’s no easy way for me to tell you this, Dara,” she continued looking serious now. “When I got a hold of your number, I didn’t know how to think to even start and I know beating around the bush wouldn’t change the main point of the reason I tricked you into coming here.” She stared at her in the eyes. “And I’m really a woman who hated to digress. So I’m going to be as honest as I can and I know you can take it.” She paused for a minute before continuuing. “I’m speaking to you here as a mother who only cares about her son. Please let go of Donghae.”

 

Hearing it again doesn’t change Dara’s frozen state.  was opened but no words were coming  out. Wha…. Why? Have she done something wrong? That is the only conclusion she could come up with for to explain why Donghae’s mother is suddenly asking her this. Or Is Chairman So really that kind of mother who would get in the way of his son’s relationship because she simply didn’t like the woman? Then why spout all that I like you, I’m glad my son met you type of bull? To soften the blow?

 

“You are getting in the way of Donghae’s training,” her mother continued.

 

Dara’s eyes snapped to Chairman Si’s face. Training. The way she said it wasn’t condescending at all but rather sympathetic.

 

“I was visiting him in the US.” She shook her head. “He’s making a muck of his training because of you.” Like she said. Direct and honest. “You think I didn’t know him coming home two, three times a month to see you? And of course, I had no doubt you’re spending hours talking on the phone whether it’s late night or early morning. I understand all that but it needs to stop if he wants to continue this partnership with EXO Group. He couldn’t focus, Dara. He’s always distracted and his distraction is causing problems with his training.”

 

Dara slowly slouched down on the chair, her eyes going to the coffee cup in front of her, her mind still blank over what she is hearing.

 

Donghae’s mother sighed. “You do know about my son’s dream, do you? He’s already close to  it. Within his reach. He’s already there. I do not want EXO Group to come to a point when they would consider the partnership as a wrong move because they could no longer see Donghae’s commitment to it.”

 

“I….” Dara started to speak but the words wouldn’t form in . Donghae coming home, exhausted…. Is she really the cause of that?

 

Yes. She is. She had already figured that out but she just decided to ignore it.

 

She just didn’t know how bad it is already turning for Donghae.

 

“Donghae wouldn’t let you go,” his mother continued. “I know that he wouldn’t. He was always been that man who would always fight for the things he cared about until he believes that he already lost. So I’m asking you. Let him go. Or just… take a break until he’s finished. Right now, all I care about is him. I want him to be the man he dreamed to be even before he took over LDH but he couldn’t do that if...” She paused. “…if he has you to consider as part of his time.”

 

“I’m a distraction,” Dara said softly. He did say that. She remembered him saying that… after the fire of his facility. Which is the reason why he didn’t call her during those times he was focused on his main responsibility. Because he doesn’t want to be distracted.

 

“Yes.” She sghed heavily. “My son doesn’t know how to focus on two things at the same time. A trait that I’m afraid he got from his father. He can only focus if he is fully concentrated on the task. I’m sure you know that.”

 

Of course she knew that.

 

“And when he can’t focus, he turns sloppy,” his mother continued. “And being sloppy is the exact opposite of why EXO Group wanted him.” She watched Dara’s face before continuuing. “It will not take long until the exhaustion catches up to him and messed everything before he can even start.”

 

He’s stressed, he’s tired. He’s worn out.

 

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist for Dara to understand what Donghae’s mother meant.

 

“I know the question that’s going inside your head,” Donghae’s mother continued, her voice soft. “Is letting him go the only solution? My answer to that… is yes. That would be for the best. For both of you.”

 

Dara’s eyes lifted to meet hers. Donghae’s mother’s face is devoid of any mockery or arrogance. In fact, she looked like she have the same expression that Dara has. Faint anguish.

 

“Any one who believe long distance relationships can work is a fool,” Chairman So said softly then gave a soft chuckle though not sounding amused. “It would be fun at first. A challenge. A competition to see who can last. But that fun will slowly into an obligation. Like a shackle wrapped around your ankle that gets heavier and heavier each day until you are internally screaming to be set free. To break free.” She was saying it with a pained faraway look in her eyes. “And then it would leave nothing but bitterness… resentment… regret… pain….” She looked directly into Dara’s eyes. “Did Donghae told you I cheated on my husband?” Her lips stretched into a pained smile. “It happened so long ago but I still know what It felt… how it started. My husband was on another country and I was left here. We were… newly married, you see. And I was very much inlove with him. I missed him with each passing day that even his calls doesn’t seem to work to appease me anymore. With each of his calls, I became lonelier.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter