Chapter 30

Make Me A Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“No, I ordered five sacks of Coffee Arabica and you gave me three sacks of Coffe Robusta.” Dara put a hand on her hip as she tried to keep her patience in check while talking to the vendor where she had been ordering her coffee beans. By god, this isn’t the first time they got her order wrong and she had considered finding another vendor but unfortunately, they are giving her a good price for the coffee beans. Given the fact that she just started her business, she couldn’t afford a new vendor at the moment so she guessed she’s stuck with them.

 

She scowled as she listened to the rep apologizing for the mistake and then telling her that they are currently out of stock for Coffee Arabica. She closed her eyes in dismay, pinching the bridge of her nose.

 

“We will give you notification once we receive our Coffee Arabica delivery,” the rep advised her.

 

Dara heaved a loud sigh. Nothing she can do now. “Yes, please notify me. Thank you.” She pressed the end button and scowled again at the sacks of the wrong coffee beans stacked in front of her.

 

She turned her head when there was a knock on the door and found Jisoo with a sympathetic look. “Ms. Dara, she’s asking for the manager again.”

 

“Oh my god.” Dara rolled her eyes heavenward. Granny really picked this time to annoy her. “What is she doing here so early?” She checked her watch. “It’s only 10. She usually comes in to complain at 3.”

 

Jisoo shrugged and Dara let out a loud breath before leaving the stock room, tucking her phone inside the pocket of her pants. The granny is on her usual seat and Dara could see her tapping the table with her wrinkled hands.

 

“Yes?” she asked trying not to look like she is close to losing her patience with her. Seriously, where is her family?

 

“I don’t like how they made my coffee,” the granny said. “It’s sweet.”

 

Dara glanced at cup the granny had pushed away from her and smiled wryly. “It’s hot chocolate. It is supposed to be sweet.”

 

“Hot chocolate?” the granny asked sounding indignant. “Why did they give me hot chocolate? Now see this? Your staff is not listening to me.”

 

She sighed loudly and motioned for Jisoo who immediately went over to the table. “Do you want to order the same drink as yesterday?” Dara asked the old woman.

 

“No,” the old woman answered shaking her head. “I want hot chocolate.”

 

Dara’s mouth twitched. “Okay. Unsweetened hot chocolate it is.” She nodded to Jisoo who took the cup and strode over to the counter to make another drink for the old woman again.

 

“Would there be anything else that we can do for you?” Dara asked the old woman and hoped that there wouldn’t be any more.

 

The old woman gave a wave of her hand dismissing her as if she was a part of her staff and Dara let out another heavy exasperated breath out as she strode back to the stock room to inspect the ground beans but stopped short when she saw someone enter.

 

Choi Dong-wook smiled and gave her a little wave when he entered. “Good morning.”

 

“Uh… good morning,” Dara greeted back.

 

“I just dropped by to get some coffee,” he said.

 

“Right,” Dara said then her smile faltered when she remembered how this guy was catfished by her best friend. “Listen, um… I’m really sorry. My friend… uh… my friend told me everything.” He gave her a puzzled look so Dara explained. “You know, the uh….” She lowered her voice as she leaned over. “The dating app?”

 

Realization dawned on his features and he gave a chuckle. “Oh that. Yeah. I already know. I mean… she already told me she wasn’t you and that I should check you out here. I mean… not check you out but more like a… I should visit you… or something.” He looked a little embarassed.

 

“My friend is really crazy, sorry about that,” Dara told him.

 

Choi Dong-wook shook his head. “No it’s fine. I was just glad I wasn’t being scammed because you know dating apps. I mean… you can never really trust anyone there.”

 

“I know right!” Finally, someone who understands what she feels. “That’s what I thought when I joined it and I was scared of being scammed by someone. I mean, even though they kept telling me it’s safe yada yada….” She shook her head as she remembered how CL and Bom kept defending the dating app. “I mean, you still can’t know, right?”

 

Choi Dong-wook nodded in agreement. “Exactly. My sister made me sign up on it and uh….” He looked down looking slightly embarassed. “I guess I was kinda glad she did.” He lifted his eyes to give her a shy look which Dara completely missed.

 

“I know,” Dara said her smile falling a little. It was there that she met Lee Donghae and she had never been more glad that she took a risk. Yes, yes it wasn’t Lee Donghae himself but bottomline is, that is where she and Donghae had started. Because if it is just about work, she doesn’t believe that she would end up falling inlove with him. Then she shook her head. She shouldn’t be thinking about Lee Donghae anymore. She already decided to let him go, forget about him, and move on. Isn’t that why she already deleted his pictures?

 

Then why didn’t you emptied out the Recently Deleted folder? A voice nagged inside her head.

 

Shut it! She growled at it. Her brain is at it again.

 

She looked at Choi Dong-wook and smiled widely. “Well, thank you for dropping by. What coffee do you want? It’s on the house.”

 

“Wow, thank you,” he said.

 

But before he can add anything more, a loud screeching voice called out. “Manager!!”

 

Dara’s smile stiffened and her eyes narrowed. Oh god, isn’t there any other coffee shop she could go to?

 

Choi Dong-wook glanced at the old woman then looked back at her. “Isn’t she the same complainant yesterday?”

 

A worried thought struck her at his question. What if he thinks that complaints are being made in her coffee shop because of its bad service or bad coffee? What will happen to his offer of a spot inside his mall? She was already considering it!

 

“Oh, don’t worry about it,” Dara said trying to sound nonchalant. “Complaining is her hobby. So um… I’ll have Jisoo take care of your coffee, she makes excellent brew.” She gestured for them to go to the counter and called for Jisoo. “I’ll leave you to my trusted assistant. Thank you so much for dropping by here. Jisoo, this is on the house. Let me just take care of our… regular… customer.” Choi Dong-wok just smiled and Dara marched to the old woman wondering what complaint she’s going to give Dara this time.









 

Dara took a sip of the coffee she had brewed to taste the new ground beans and she sat at the lounge area by the kitchen she had set up for her employees to relax in during break. She made a face at the bitterness of the coffee. Too strong. She placed the cup back on the table and resumed with her budget calculation and checking scheduled deliveries in the next days. Her cake business is really her pride and joy, who would’ve thought?

 

She paused, biting her lower lip as she stared at the numbers she had written on her notes but her mind wasn’t on it. She had been thinking about the offer Choi Dong-wook had given her since she had seen him that morning. Her mom thought it is a great opportunity and she agrees but she still hasn’t earned back the capital of her investment when she started Haru and One Day. It would be unwise to take another step when she hasn’t fully recovered financially. Another store would mean another set of staff, another set of equipments, the store itself….

 

But it is a great opportunity.

 

One she couldn’t afford at the moment.

 

Maybe she could ask Choi Dong-wook to give her a year to think it over. She scoffed. Wouldn’t that be a crazy request.

 

“Miss Dara?”

 

Dara looked up at one of her bartenders, a male student who is working for her as part time.

 

“There’s someone looking for a manager?”

 

“Oh god, not again,” Dara said in resignation. She had thought the granny had left by now. What, she’s gonna stay here the whole day? It’s already two in the afternoon. Maybe she needs to resort in finding who the granny’s family is and find out why she is always out. “Can you send Jisoo and have her say the manager is unavailable?”

 

“Jisoo is out on delivery.”

 

Right. She forgot about the cake deliveries today. She grumpily stood up and nodded to him. “I’ll be out in a sec.” Aish. Jisoo is the only staff the granny is listening to when Dara is not around. She should’ve sent Jisoo for the delivery when she’s sure the granny left. Now she had to endure another round of complaints for the most infinitesimal thing.

 

The granny was still seated at the same chair she is on since this morning, the cup of hot chocolate she had ordered still on her table. She forced a smile as she approached her. “Hi. You are looking for me?”

 

The granny’s brows creased as she looked at her. “No, I didn’t.”

 

Right. She should’ve been more clear. “You are looking for a manager?”

 

The old woman shook her head. “No, I didn’t. I was happy just sitting here and watching people pass by. Why are you bothering me?”

 

Dara pursed her lips as she tried to maintain her customer service attitude. “Right. I apologize.” She let out a loud breath as she walked away from the table intending to return to the kitchen to resume her note-taking.

 

“Miss Dara,” the male bartender called her when she passed by the counter. “The one looking for the manager is over there.”

 

Dara balked at that information as she followed the direction where her staff is pointing at. What? There is a real complaint?? It was at the far end opposite from where the granny was seated at and there was a lone male figure seated casually at one of the couches, a steaming cup of coffee in front of him on the table and looking back at her.

 

It was at that moment that Dara felt she was suddenly living in a slow motion and a soft melody began playing in the background. Her heart sped up where different set of emotions engulfed her. She didn’t know if she should cry, lash out, rant, walk out of here to get some air… or maybe she should do all.

 

“Miss Dara, I’m not really sure if I messed up his o—” the bartender started looking a little worried.

 

Dara immediately shushed him with a hand. She’s not done trying to come to terms with her emotions yet and her staff is blabbering next to her. She took a step towards him, ever so slowly, her eyes drinking him in wondering if he is just a figment of her imagination.

 

She didn’t realize her eyes are already wide when she reached his table, her eyes not leaving his face.

 

No, he’s not a figment of her imagination. It is him. Really him.

 

Lee Donghae.

 

Donghae seemed to be studying her face in silence as well until they heard a loud honk outside which brought them out of their stupor. Dara is still reeling and Donghae cleared his throat then smiled. “Hi.”

 

Dara’s eyes went to his face. His perfect face. His hair had gotten longer and he looked like he lost a little weight but apart from that, he looked the same rigid Donghae that she met. “Hi,” she greeted back almost in a whisper, her heart hammering thunderously as she felt her eyes tearing up for finally seeing him. Seeing him in front of her after so long of trying not to miss him, trying not to think about him.

 

But then she remembered that he had been incognito for more than a year. Almost two years and he didn’t even contacted her when he visited Seoul. Yes, she can finally admit that it hurt at that time. It still hurts when she think about it. “You were looking for a manager?” She asked after composing herself.

 

“Do you want to take a seat?” Donghae said with a slight tilt of his head.

 

Dara should say no. What business does he have with her now? They’ve broken up and he doesn’t have any right to disrupt her work. He’s a stranger to her now. “I have some business to attend to,” she just said unable to even give him a courteous smile.

 

Donghae watched her face for a minute before asking, “Please?”

 

Dara clenched her jaw. How can he waltz in here and give her those puppy eyes? Or think it’s going to be the same with them? Though of course she was the one who broke up with him but she thought it’s only going to be for a year!

 

What happened to if you come back then you come back and if you don’t then you don’t? You are such a fake, Dee. The voice inside her head nagged.

 

I told you to shut it!

 

She had never thought her sacrifice would keep on hurting her. But like a glutton for punishment, Dara slid down on the seat across from him with a sigh. “Fine,” she just said. “But I only have a couple of minutes.”

 

Donghae smiled and just rested his chin on his hand while watching her with that enigmatic smile on his face. Dara looked at him pointedly waiting for him to say something but he just kept staring at her and she suddenly felt her face reddening. Gawd, his stares are still intense as the last time she remembered it to be and still affect her the same way that it did two years ago. She cleared and just decided to go for small talk. “Anyway, congratulations with your partnership with EXO Group. You really made it big.”

 

“Mm hmm,” Donghae just murmured as his eyes seemed to bore right through her.

 

Dara tapped the table with her fingers as she waited for him to say anything but he just kept doing that staring thing like he had been trying to memorize every contours of her face. Dara tried to a small talk again. “So… um… are you staying? I mean… when… when are… are you going back to the US?” It was a wrong question to ask but somehow, she really wanted to know.

 

“Tomorrow.”

 

And his straight unhesitant answer made her heart wrench. He’ll leave tomorrow. “That soon?” Are you a masochist, for christ sakes! She never should’ve asked that because she knew the answer is going to hurt more than it’s already hurting her now.

 

“I’ve been here for a week.”

 

He’s been here for a week. One week. That’s seven days. Yeah, you’re a last minute obligation, Dee. Maybe he only came here to find closure. Like what CL had told her. Maybe it’s what she really needed too. She just nodded and forced a smile. “Well, have a safe trip.” Composed. She definitely sounded composed..

 

“I like the name of your shop,” Donghae suddenly said.

 

“It was my brother’s idea,” she lied trying to sound energetic. He doesn’t need to know she named it like that because of the promise he made her promise him. And one she had held onto like a stupid girl.

 

Donghae smirked obviously knowing the truth. “You’ve changed, Dara. You used to be a better liar.”

 

Dara pierced him with a sharp glare. He was trying to be funny when she feel like her heart is going to crash into pieces anytime now. “What do you want from me, Donghae?”

 

“Your promise.” He smiled widely. “That one day.”

 

Dara could only stare at him wondering if this is some kind of a joke he was trying to pass then she scoffed when she realized he was really asking for that stupid one day. Does he really think that promise still stand? After everything? “That promise already expired.”

 

“I didn’t know there are expiration dates for promises.”

 

“They do.” She should start to work on changing the name of her coffee shop. “Obviously, promises are made to be broken especially if you have broken up.”

 

Donghae watched while she stared back at him with her jaw set. He leaned over the table. “You were the one who broke up with me, Dara,” he said looking solemn..

 

Goddamit, he’s right. Of course he’s right. ““Yeah well….” Her shoulders fell down and she scowled. “Fine. You’re right. I shouldn’t even be….” She let out a whoosh of breath. She shouldn’t be taking it against him. He only did what she told him. Didn’t she practically forced him to leave and do his thing? To be successful?

 

But he should not be asking for that one day promise when he’s leaving tomorrow. Is he deliberately trying to hurt her more? She lifted her eyes to meet his. “I never expected you to actually come back here to only ask me for that one day and frankly, I think that promise is already moot and pointless. I didn’t really think you would be asking that when I see you.”

 

Donghae narrowed his eyes thoughtfully over her words. “Why? What did you expect to happen when you see me?”

 

His question seems like the insinuation of What, you think we’re going to get back together? Dara rolled her tongue inside her cheek as she tried not to glare at him. The answer that comes inside her head is short of being antagonistic and she had to refrain herself from voicing them as she needs to consider the fact that Lee Donghae is the ever literal guy and he probably asked that out of curiousity and never really meant to offend her. She opted to answer it cheekily. “Oh, I don’t know.” She gave a nonchalant shrug. “I was probably expecting a lot more dramatic. Like, you would tear up after seeing me looking so good and then telling me you miss me so much you couldn’t stand it and that you were living in total misery.” She was busy trying to be as sassy as she can or at least try to scare Donghae in getting the hell out of here so she could live the rest of the day in hurt and pain that she didn’t noticed Donghae’s mouth twitching into a smile as he watched her. “Or I was actually thinking of seeing you here in a tuxedo with a bouquet of flowers and a band... popping that question—which of course I would have to deny—”

 

“What question was that?” Donghae looking puzzled at her narrative.

 

Dara smirked as she met his eyes fully expecting him to go run and take cover. Nothing more scary than havng a woman already planning to get you married off to her. If Donghae thinks he can just walk in here just so he could ask her for that stupid one day then he’s really as idiotic as he was before. What can he gain from that anyway? He’s already leaving tomorrow! He might as well leave now and never show his face to her again. “That Will you marry me ques—.”

 

“Yes, I will.”

 

“—tion.” She was still smirking when she finished her sentence but it instantly faded. “What?”

 

“Yes, I will marry you,” Donghae told her.

 

Dara gaped at him, slightly open and then she gave a scoff. “What?”

 

“Didn’t you just asked me to marry you?” Donghae asked her with a thoughtful frown.

 

“No, I didn’t,” she answered it firmly but her heart started to thump loudly inside her chest.

 

“So you didn’t want to marry me?” He asked looking puzzled.

 

Her shoulders started to tense up. “No. I mean… yes. I mean….” Now her thoughts are all jumbled.

 

Donghae gave a soft smile as he watch her get all flustered. “I’ve missed you.”

 

Dara loudly scoffed upon hearing that. “Really?” she asked in full sarcastic mode. “Is that why you haven’t contacted me at all? Because you missed me?”

 

“Yes.”

 

His straight answer for her sarcastic question is making her pause in bewilderment. “This is ridicu—"

 

“I didn’t call because I didn’t want to hear your voice because I know I would throw everything away and just stay here. What do you expect me to do?” Donghae asked with a shrug. “You practically pushed me to leave to make LDH successful and I didn’t want to disappoint you if I suddenly got up and leave in the middle of establishing our partnership with EXO Group.” He rested his arm on the table as he continued. “I know it wouldn’t take a second for me to leave LDH the minute I see your face and I would definitely disappoint my parents, I would let down my employees….” He sighed as if remembe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter