White Knight

When Love Dominates Everything (Detective Romance)

Jihyo handed the file to Joong Kook who was sitting across the table. 

Joong Kook opened the file and he found a black and white photograph attached to a paper with a clip. He took the photo and examined it.

Two young boys probably around teenage were beaming towards the camera focus and the background of the sea behind them. 

"That was your father," Joong Kook pointed at a dainty small boy who had his hand akimbo on the left side of a tall boy.

"Who was this guy?" Joong Kook referred to a taller man.

Jihyo shook her head.

Joong Kook turned the photo to its back and saw the date of the photo taken and "Me and My Best Friend" written.

"There is also a picture drawn near the words. It looked like a bird. An eagle? I am confused!" Joong Kook scratched his head and put the photo back into the file.

"Is this somehow related with what your aunt said?" he asked.

"I also found a letter she must have written before she died. It said the photo and the killers are somehow related. But how? As far as I can remember Dad never did anything that was beyond the law. He was the most respectable policeman until he got retired. As you can see, a tall man was probably his best friend though I can't recall seeing him in my childhood. I have no clues oppa."

Jihyo voice was shaken and she fought back the urge to cry. 

"I am scared oppa. I don't know whether to believe her words or I am just being paranoid. It had become a routine these days to stay cautious. Whenever I get to home. I would grab the bat and searched under the bed, under the table, in the wardrobe, in every room and every little tiny space in the apartment. Because I am afraid someone might hide there to harm me."

Jihyo couldn't no longer control the tears and sobbed quietly covering her face.

Joong Kook immediately went to sit beside her and patted her shoulder.

Only a few customers in the cafè near their table was aware of the situation.

"Stop. Oppa is here now. I am here."

Jihyo and Joong Kook came out of the Seoul Police Department together. 

With the help of a very closed friend of Joong Kook, they were able to get the case that happened twenty nine years ago. 

Actually, they grew up together in an orphanage which Jihyo's aunt managed. But after two years of their friendship, Joong Kook was adopted by a wealthy family. They never lost contact anyway. That time, writing letters was a popular fashion and they wrote every day. He loved her as his own sister and she to him as her brother. 

Joong Kook was also the very few people who knew what Jihyo had been through before she came to orphanage. 

He never stopped caring about her although he was posted to China for his work. He knew that she had moved on with her life through every difficulty, he felt happy. 

But just as he had touched down to Seoul, the heart-breaking news suddenly informed him to go to the funeral. 

Now that the work was posted back to Korea, he vowed he would protect her. A sister. He promised her he would put every effort to find out about any people who were aiming to harm her. And that detective. That Detective.

"I wish we have proves," Jihyo said as they stepped down the stairs. 

"We will. I have requested him to look back the case. Guess the detective who was in charge of this case back then deliberately created to protect someone, who I think was following to kill you. That Detective must have been paid a fortune to report dishonestly," Joong Kook cursed under his breath.

Jihyo loathed that detective who invested her family case. She wished she knew his name. Joong Kook's friend didn't say his identity telling it was not allowed. She would find out. 

All people who destroyed her life.

She would make them pay back for their sin by justice.

Just as they were striding to the car, Jihyo met face to face with Lee Dong Wook. She had not seen him for more than a week. She waited him if he would come at the last day of mourning days. She was the one who pushed him farther and now she desperatly missed his presence. 

"It has been a long time Lee Dong Wook ssi," Jihyo greeted first.

Dong Wook watched her with fascination and then with a stone face to the man beside her.

"That was my brother, kim Joong Kook," she said again when she saw the two men exchanging glances that could bring fire to the police department. 

Two men greeted and Joong Kook excused to wait inside the car and left.

"What bring you here, Jihyo-a," he asked never leaving eye contact with her. Jihyo blushed and she put the stray of hair that had escaped from her pony tail behind her ear.

"Ummm... a noisy neighbour," she lied. The memory of her opening about her life to the first love came unwelcomingly into her mind and she dismissed it quickly.

"I didn't get to say a proper thank you. Thank you for your generous donation to the orphanage. That was very thoughtful. Let me buy you a meal. Say Thank You Dinner?" 

Dong Wook chuckled and Jihyo loved how his cheeks rose up when he smiled.

"Not buying. I would love it if you cook dinner for me."

Jihyo blankly stared at him. Cook?

"Umm... if you are not picky with bad cooked food. I am not a good cook."

"Thats a yes then. Even if you put poison in it, I will eat. Because you cooked the meal for me."

"I am not flattered," she lied. Again. Of course she was fluttered. Even if this was flirty words, she loved how it directly stimulated her blood bolied.

"Just dinner. Don't think ahead of it."

"I wouldn't dare unless you want," Dong Wook joked but he really was thinking ahead. If his seduction skill to other women worked with Jihyo...

"At your place or mine?" Jihyo disturbed his thought.

"You pick."

"I will send you my address." 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jihyo walked as fast as she can. She looked behind her shoulder. A man who was about ten feets away was following. There was no one in the street. 

She fastened her pace and she turned around the corner where the bustling of people were. She glanced behind her again. He was gone.

That man, who was in a black hoodie and a cap underneath to cover his face. He had been chasing after her since she left the apartment. 

Jihyo thought that must be someone who knew she was still alive. 

He got a better chance to take her soul as there was only him and her in the street. No one would have noticed if she was lying cold on the concrete. Yet he never came nearer her. He followed her from a faraway distance.

Although she was relieved when Dong Wook called her he was on his way to her place. Jihyo decided she would put her best effort on this dinner. She came out of the store with a handfull of shopping bags.

She was checking the receipt when the screaching of tires, the roar of engine alerted her neurone system.

She glanced around to her left to find a shimmering yellow light which constantly blurred her vision and mind.

She heard a vague scream from somewhere. "Watch Out!"

But she was rooted in the path of a motorcycle which was coming towards her.

In a nanosecond, she was pushed down to the ground in the embrace of strong arms.

The scence happened too quickly that when she had regained her equilibrium, she discovered herself lying on top of Dong Wook. Her eyes got wider and she got up immediately.

The motorcycle had sped up between the crowds and disappeared. 

She kneeled beside Dong Wook  who got up with a groan.

"Are you alright? Ambulance, Hospital!" 

Jihyo figeted in her purse to get her phone. 

"I am good. Don't worry. Not even a bruise," Dong Wook beamed and stood up to his feet. 

The crowd which had gathered earlier with curiosity spreaded up with low murmurs. 

"Are you sure... Oh My God!!" 

Jihyo panicked at a stain of blood that appeared on his forehead. 

Jihyo searched for her handkerchief and patted lightly to clean the blood.

"You are bleeding!"

"It is a minor injury. If you have a bag of ice, it will help a lot. Come on. I am famished!" Dong Wook bended forward to collect the groceries that were spilled from the bag.

She sighed. If only he wasn't here, she was sure she would be lying on the hospital bed. She was certained the motorcyclist wanted to harm her. The pavement was not obviously packed. The traffic was light. From what she had in her knowledge, the motorcycles are not allowed to drive on the pavement. She shuddered at the thought.

Soon as they reached her apartment, she ran to the kitchen to get the first-aid kit. 

She bought the bag of ice wrapped in a cleaned cloth to where he was sitting in the living room.

The stains of blood clot. Thanks to the cold cola bottle that he had compressed against his head all the short way to her place.

She produced a spirit and soaked it on the clean cloth lightly cleaning the wound and applied a bandage on it. 

"I am sorry," she continued, "I am always giving you trouble. And also thank you."

"It is not your fault. I am glad you give me troubles so I can be near you and protect you," he stared into her despondent looking eyes. 

Jihyo's eyes met his. Her heart rate increased more than 75 beats per second in front of this charming man. 

She traced her finger down to his cheek. So soft. 

Every wild thoughts flashed in her head. She tried to ignore. But how could she? She wondered if the lips she kissed still tasted the same like the last time. How would he look under that black T-shirt he was wearing? As strong with body to die for? How would it feel against her skin? 

Jihyo reminded herself and controlled her desires beacuse she knew she would never get enough of this feeling which she was sure developing more. 

If she gave preferance to her feelings, her heart would shatter like first time if he knew her life was a danger. She would even break farther if the risk affected him.

She would keep those consideration and give a chance to herself. She would follow her wants to the man she felt safe to.

As if Dong Wook could sense desire emanating from her, he leaned forward and....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your comments on choice of second lead female character. I am sorry for my lack of update. Later chapters may contain some hot scences and I hope you don't mind. Comment below on your thoughts about my story cuz your comments mean everything to me. Thank you all