Beoynd the Birthday Party

When Love Dominates Everything (Detective Romance)

Dong Wook arrived at his sister's home at 7 pm. As soon as his sister saw him entering the house, she gaped. 

"What do you need?" she asked.

"Umm... coming to my nephew pre-birthday," he winked at her.

Waiting for this day was like waiting for help in the ocean. He couldn't assure himself that she would come. It was just hope.

"But... dad and mom are going to throw a party just for family tomorrow..." but dong wook cut her in the middle of her words.

"Is there anything wrong with an uncle coming to see his nephew," he glared at her and walked pass into the living room.

The mothers who were preparing for the party were more surprised. They really could not blink their eyes, just stared at the god gift to women who was greeting them. His eyes searched every face for Jihyo. 

"Isn't your teacher coming?" he whispered to his nephew.

"Tr. Song said she will come."

But she didn't show up until it was half past eight. 

Then his sister's phone rang.

"Tr. Song," as soon as Dong Wook heard the name, his concentration went to his ears.

"Nae... Tr... Nae... I am sorry. Nae... I will tell him. Don't worry... Nae...," she hanged up the phone. "Tr.song had to go to hospital for emergency situation. She wishes you happy birthday and that she was sorry she couldn't come."

"Who is in emergency?" One of the mothers asked.

"She didn't tell. She just said someone she knew."

The chatters started but he could hear nothing. He was in his private bubble. Emergency? He had waited for this day just to see her again. He had thought after the party he would bring her home. Would say some intresting things that he always did to impress a girl. Would ask her hobby. Would find any way to get close to her.

Now, his plan had vanished, replaced by the shattering of hopes. Everything turned into slow motion.That is what happened if you immersed yourself too much in chasing a girl. He thought. 

With a heavy heart, grabbing the jacket, he got out of the house without even saying goodbye.


 Jihyo wondered about Joon su's uncle while she was packing the gift.

She chuckled at the thought of his shy smile. When he stared at her blankly with eyes twinkling, she could not help but all wild thoughts swiped in her mind. 

She dated non-serious relationships just to get away from exhausted past. Past she could still see in her mind eyes. It was not a happy but a terrible one. She shuddered at  the thought. You can't either get away or execute the past. She thought.

Her phone rang and she answered. 

"Hello, Miss. Lim"

"Jihyo-a, Mrs.Kim is in emergency. She is in OS hospital," the woman spoke.

"Pardon? I... Okay... I will be right there."

Her hair swayed in the air as she ran into the lobby of the hospital finding for the reception.

"Patient Kim Hee Sook. Just arrived an hour ago," she said gasping for air.

"She is transferred to the ICU. Room 47. 2nd floor," the nurse explained after looking through the papers for a beat.

Jihyo thanked her and followed the direction she had just mentioned.

She met the doctor at the door when she entered the room. 

"She had survived the critical moment but she needs close watching," the doctor told jihyo and left.

"What happened?" she asked Miss Lim.

"The kids found her laying on the floor in her room. There were also pills. She was overdose. You know she has cardiac arrthymias."

"How is she now?"

Just as she say it, jihyo heard her name spoken in a weak voice.

"Jihyo?"

"Aunty. Kim," she kneeled on the floor and held her hand.

"Will you give us two some privacy?" Kim Hee Sook softly whispers to Miss Lim who nodded fighting back her tears. The door closed and Mrs. Kim patted jihyo's head who was now sobbing.

"Jihyo-a, stop crying my dear girl. I am fine now. I have waited for the right time to tell this and if I don't tell you the truth right now, I don't see when."

Jihyo looked up with teary eyes not quite comprehanding.

"What truth?" she asked.

"You father didn't kill them. They created like he did. They paid money," Mrs. Kim explained.

"How... I don't...who do you mean 'they'," Jihyo stuttered.

"It is the truth. I am sorry you have to know this now. I decided I will tell you when you turned 18. But... you do know you are like my daughter. It had taken about 1 and a half year for you to communicate with people. To get on well with society. Seeing you trying and improve day by day held back my decision. You have changed a lot and I don't want yourself tainting in that shadows again. Thats why... thats why... Please forgive me...," tears came unwelcomingly from Mrs. Kim eyes. 

Jihyo was left with no words. Her brain was so full now. Now her aunt who had taken care of her since her parents death was saying that what she believed many years ago were lies. 

If her father didn't then, who did? Who did that cruel thing? Who are the one who took away her family? 

"I know it is too much to take Jihyo-a but don't do any stupid things. Live safely my dear. Take care of yourself if I am not around any more. Open your eyes and ears."

Open my eyes and ears? What for? She questioned in her mind.

Oh this is too much. 

She got up immediately and stormed out of the room ignoring the voices behind her. 

Her chest was heaving.Her breathing became hard. Tears flowed non-stop. Her head started to feel fuzzy. 

When she got out of the hospital, she inhaled a lungful of fresh night air. She called a cab and left.


 She stared at the people dancing their hearts out to the loud music. She vaguely wondered if they ever have to worry for a living like her. If there are anyone who is similar to her life. She gulped down another drink that was on the bar.

All those informations, all the hatred to his father. She could not see a way to forgive her aunt. For keeping her in the dark for many years. But her aunt just did it to protect her. Then who is to be blamed? This was so confusing. 

While she looked again at the dance floor, contemplating how to let out the bomb inside her chest, someone pulled her to reality,

"Seems you want to go there and dance?" A voice said.