Cheon Seong-im from Pohang

When Love Dominates Everything (Detective Romance)

It was the day Jihyo was discharging from the hospital after a long boring week. Dong Wook had informed he would be in an hour to take her home. To be exact, he asked her to move in with him, instead of staying at her ex apartment during the times she was running away from Eagles.
Jihyo decided to spend an hour while waiting for Dong Wook by meeting up with her long-lost friend Yeo Jin. They had been apart since high school and they met for the first time there while Jihyo was being diagnosed. Yeo Jin was dutied as a nurse at the VIP patients' area. Jihyo went up to VIP floor to exchange girly talks and she was just so excited to see her again. After a while of setting up their next girl out day, Jihyo paid farewell to Ye Jin and walked along the unbusy corridor to the elevator.  She was turning around the corner when she heard a soft moan.
"Hmm..."
Jihyo approached slowly and peeked. Her legs turned jello at the scence. Da Hae, wrapped around Dong Wook and they were locked in a passionate embrace. Her shirt was hanging open wide enough to see the lace bra she was wearing and they looked as if they had been making out for hours.
Jihyo could feel tears streaming down her cheeks as she quickly escaped to the other direction. 
"What do you think you are doing, Da Hae?" Dong Wook held her waist and pushed her away. Dong Wook was paying a visit to Da Hae's grandmom first, who had survived a critical condition since she was at the hospital with Jihyo. Da Hae led him to a quiet corner, said she needed to talk to him privately. He was being fooled. Da Hae launched herself at him and locked her lips as if she was going to bruise Dong Wook's lips. He was stunned at first. He had left with no desire for Da Hae and her acting desperately to get him back, was no use.
"I want you back," Da Hae said with a pleaded eyes. 
"Stop it, Da Hae! You know I am unavailable."
"Who cares! You don't love her Dong Wook. She is a who is acting like an innocent because of your money. She doesn't deserve you."
"Judge my Jihyo again and I can't assure what I would do to you. What we have is none of your ing business. I love her with everything I have and she is not a like you!!"
Dong Wook realized he had been so harsh to Da Hae but he didn't regret it. He had had enough and he wouldn't care if he was being so rude to a friend when they bad-talk his girlfriend.

.......................................................................................

"No, hyung. I can't call her cell.....I've been searching her....yes..."

When Dong Wook reached in front of his apartment, he found Jihyo sitting on the floor with her knees huddled up to her chest like a ball. 

"Jihyo?"
Upon hearing her name, Jihyo looked up from her long lashes. Water dripped down her cheeks from her wet hair. Her coat was drenched from rain and her boots were covered with mud. She looked dishelve in need of a hot shower. Dong Wook breathed out a lungful of tension. She had been gone for 13hours and the thought of her in great danger was hovering in his mind that he was worried to death. 
Why hasn't she taken the calls? Dong Wook felt half relieved and half pissed.
"Where the have you been?! I have been worried about you!" 
Jihyo looked small like a kid being scolded by the parents. Jihyo her lower lips in nervous way and suddenly Dong Wook scooped her up in a bridal way and entered the apartment. Dong Wook went directly into the bathroom. 
Jihyo considered back the reason why her feet wandered to his place. After the disappointing scene she saw that morning, she had been out in the city blankly going anywhere her feet led to. Why was she here? Because she needed reassurance? He kneeled down to remove her muddy boots. Jihyo glared down at him when the thought of him yelling her. He was the one who kissed with his goddamn ex and he was angry at her for not answering the calls? 
Anger raised and she knew if she didn't ask the question and get the explanation from him, she would die of frustration.
"Why did you do that?" Jihyo snatched her feet and leaned back to the sink. Dong Wook looked up at her with a beat expression.
"I saw you," Jihyo said painfully.
"What did you see?" Dong Wook stood up and held his gaze with Jihyo.
"You............with Da Hae. You were kissing."
Dong Wook opened his mouth in surprise and closed his eyes as frustration and guilt washed over him. 
"Jihyo, what you saw is not what you think," he said, eyes still shut closed. "I’ve never been as terrified as when I think what dangers you might encounter with. How could you not realize what you mean to me?”
Jihyo shook her head and stared down at the floor.
"Look at me, please,” he pleaded with her. She finally turned to look into his eyes. They seemed so filled with love and sincerity. “I love you,” he simply stated.
She finally lost the battle to hold her tears in and they fell freely down her cheeks. Dong Wook moved closer and pulled her into his arms. 
"What you saw today is not me clinging to Da Hae. I have told you so many times that things are over between me and Da Hae. She was trying to get me back. If you would’ve stayed a moment longer, you would have seen that I pushed her away from me as soon as she made her move. I am sorry you have to witness that."
Jihyo stared at Dong Wook starting to feel a ray of hope. Dong Wook carressed her soft cheek and pecked a kiss.
"Why would you think I would cheat on you. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I can never get enough of you. So why should I go to another woman when I have you?"
"It makes more sense to me that you would want her. She is gorgeous. She doesn't have twisted and dangerous things coming after her. I am afraid that once you know the true me, you would leave. And what I saw this afternoon was the greatest nightmare I realized."
"I won't. I want all of you and it's just so difficult to get you when you won't let me into your world. Behind love, trust always follows. Believe me. I will lead you to a brighter world if you could just communicate sincerely with me."
A lump formed in and she played with her lips in a nervous way. "Arrasso," Jihyo nodded and striped off her clothes. Then she went to the tub to fill with hot warm water.
"Would you join me?" she asked.
They both settled in a partially filled tub without much word. The warm water was soothing and it was very peaceful to be near Dong Wook again.
"My parents didn't die in a car crash," Jihyo murmured tracing her fingers along the curve of his finely sculptered chest. 
Dong Wook tensed up at her last words. She was opening about her past. 
"Have you heard about the Psycho father murder case in Pohang ?"
Dong Wook had heard about that case. In the day of his as a young detective, this case had been a most-told one in the offices. A cold psycho father who was a policeman, who murdered his own family members and himself. 
"I am Cheon Seong Im from Pohang and I am the daughter of that psycho father."
Dong Wook was dazzled for a moment at her revealations. He had thought and known from her background check that she was originated from Seoul and her name was Song Ji Hyo. No past of a psycho father. A doctor father and mother who died in car crash was written in her profile. What the hell? 
Jihyo took a deep breath as if she was gathering strength to open about herself. Now or never. She thought. If she wanted to communicate and needed his love and help, she should give herself. No lies. No secrets. That was what he requested. Feeling assure of herself that Dong Wook would not run away from her as she had some proves her father was not actually a psycho. So she recounted all she had hidden behind her smiles.
"I was six back then. I was at school during the murder. When I came back, I found myself in the pool of blood with dead bodies of my family. Appa and Omma were lying on the cold floor with crimson blood smeared on their clothes. In the bedroom, my little brother who was three years younger was on the bed without breathing. According to police, brother was killed by a pillow, being pressed till last breath."
Jihyo choked and tears well up as she recalled how they could do such a thing to a young boy who didn't get to see his shining life. Dong Wook imagined a six year old Jihyo frightened and scared, alone in the room of dead family not having a clue of how it happened.
"What did you do?"
"I couldn't remember how long I sat at a corner taking in that awful sight into my memory. But when my sense came back, I rushed directly to the police station that is miles away from my home, not even bothering to ask for help to neighbours."
The memory still lingered in her mind, running down the hill to the station. Shocking thing happened, and she as a kid got down with the first idea which appeared in her head, that neighbours were only reminded of the murder when there was sirens of police cars and ambulances. It was a very stormy night as if the wind took away the soul of her family and to rest in peace. Rain soaked the white sheaths that covered the dead bodies carried on the trail like Zephyrus was mourning for her family.
Jihyo began tearing up and Dong Wook held her closer in his arms lightly her back. So cruel that Jihyo didn't even get to say a proper goodbye. 
"Later," she went on, "I was under the gurdians of my mother's younger sister whom I knew as only relative at that time."
"Were they good towards you?"
"Anni, the worst. When they took me under their care, I was glad that I actually have a home to stay and had an aunt and uncle to love. The reality was the opposite I had imagined. She's a gambling-addict and her husband is an alcoholic. They treated me like a maid rather than their niece. There were days when my uncle came home so drunk and he would slap at me, kick me. But my aunt never protected me. She said I deserve it since I have my dad's blood flowing in my veins that I am a daughter of a murderer. Whenever I argued that my appa didn't kill them, I ended up being starved for days. Still  I am thanful for giving me a shelter and sending me to school."
SCHOOL. It left the bitter taste in her. Pohang is a small sea town and gossips spread so fast that the news about her father effected her. Not only students were mean to her but also teachers condemned Jihyo. Those were the times she didn't long to go back.
Jihyo peered up Dong Wook and he looked irate. How can they do this  to a young girl? What is so wrong with having had a psycho father? Dong Wook felt an unpleasant hateress towards Jihyo's gambling-addict aunt. Jihyo was so kind and innocent to be in this cruel world. He thought. 
There was a long silence until Dong Wook calmed down from his self-anger. 
"How did you come to Seoul?" Dong Wook gently asked. He was so curious as to how Jihyo came to live in Seoul under her other aunt, erasing all her past and creating a new self.
"This is the most intresting part. Time became what appa sometimes told unbearable. So after six months of living with them, I decided to abscond to Seoul. At the funeral, my aunt from appa's side had given me an address. Thinking she would be different and if she's not, there is no loss leaving behind the horrible past. It took me two days to finally locate my aunt. I didn't know her phone number, so kind of hard. But it was a memorable two days. I slept at an underground station. I worked part-time after school at a soju-shop at nights. So I saved money. But that money was not enough to lay my back on a confortable motel room."
Jihyo giggled as the memory flashed again.Dong Wook admired her more. Jihyo was joyful with only what she was handed and she lived her life as it was. While Jihyo was at a young age struggling for her life, Dong Wook did not have to worry about a single obstacles in life. He got what he wanted. He was treated like a prince.
"My new life as a Song Ji Hyo started since I lived with Mrs.Kim. She cared for me. She was convinced that my father didn't kill my family. But I was not. I hated my appa. I did until my aunt left some clues and proves before she joined my family in heaven."
"Proves?" Dong Wook asked.
"She said there is some contrives while investigation. I looked back at the case again and reports were that there were anti-psychotics and anti-depressants in our house. So they conclude him as a psychopath. As far as I can remember, I had never seen him taking them. And then there was a photo during the crime scence. Appa was holding a knife with blood on its blade and so detective accused him as a psychotic murderer. Joong Kook oppa and I went to meet with a crime scence photographer because I am convinced there was no knife in my appa's hand when I first saw. They would not believe me back then since I was a kid."
"So you mean the crime scence's a concoction?" Jihyo turned to face Dong Wook. She saw his face, his  eyes. Saw the pity and horror. But a look of confusion and unbelievable was what hurt the most. So she shrugged before standing up. She grabbed the robe and got out of the tub. Dong Wook followed suit and wrapped the towel around his waist. 
"Maybe," she replied. How stupid she was! She had received the same look when Chang Ju knew the truth. Like she was a fool for accusing the detective and polices. A little bit of kindness from him and she was opening all these s. 
Jihyo dried her hair with the towel and picked up her wet clothes from the floor.
"What are you doing?"
"I am going."
"Go where?"
"Somewhere. I think you need to digest all this," Jihyo said weary to the bone.
"What the hell are you talking about? You are going nowhere! I have never mentioned I needed space to digest all craps!"
"Yeah. But your look mentions all."
Dong Wook came closer and as usual when they argued, Jihyo stepped back.
"I have received that look all my life, Dong Wook. Like I have grown two horns on my head. Like I am a funny joker. Don't look at me like I am a ing pathetic liar. I don't want your goddamn pity!" Jihyo shouted. 
"What the hell do you want then? I wouldn't be human if I didn't care."
"I want you and I don't want to lose you."
"You have me, all the times," Dong Wook cupped her chin and wiped away her tears with his thumb.
"I am not lying. Appa didn't kill them. Pake Sung Woo. He paid them. He wanted my appa dead for revenge. He..."
"Hush, Jihyo," Dong Wook pulled her into his chest, protectively "I am sorry. So sorry. I was just confused and the detective that was in charge of Pohang murder case is... I am sorry again. We will figure this out. I promise,"
"I'd spare you the details. But you know Sung Woo has all the power and the proves I have are not enough so I am worried my past could come out and embarrass you."
"Embarrass me? Where does that stupid idea come into your head?!"
Dong Wook signed and took the clothes from her hands. Jihyo opened to defend back but Dong Wook quiet her by placing his index-finger on her lips.
"Let's discuss this later. You look exhausted and we both need rest. Just one thing, don't ever mention you are giving up on me. I am not and you won't too. Kay? Come," Dong Wook led Jihyo to the bed room and no sooner did she saw the large king-sized bed, she suddenly felt the tiredness she had been unconcious of. She thought she could fall back into deep sleep if she laid down. And she did when Dong Wook helped her change into his clothe and let her sleep in his arms and under the warm blankets.
Dong Wook got out off bed, careful not to wake Jihyo. She stirred when she felt a cold space beside her but she fell back to sleep. He went to the balcony to think about what Jihyo had revealed. The time had come. It was to decide his loyalty to his work or to help Jihyo by going back to the famous case that had already been solved by a detective whom Dong Wook had admired and looked up to. The detective in charge of Pohang murder case was Lee Da Hae's father...

.......................................................................................

I am back my lovely readers. So sorry for taking too much time to update the fic. Love you all. Comment below so I can know what you think of this fic.