On and Off Ex

When Love Dominates Everything (Detective Romance)

 Lee Dong Wook stirred in his sleep. He stretched out his hand to the empty space beside him. His eyes suddenly opened wide as he felt the cold sheet. He sighed heavily. 

Dong Wook was surely expecting to wake up next to the warmth of Jihyo. But she must have left early. 

Smell of Kimchi Jjigae penetrated his nostrils and he wanted to sigh hard again. That must be his mother. She usually came to his apartment either to cook him delicious home-meal or to nag him about his messy room. He flogged back down to the bed and buried his face in the pillow Jihyo slept. The scent of flower mixed with her body scent. He could not get enough of this. 

Dong Wook then turned to his bed side to check the time. But it was only 6:30. God his mother was up here early. The pile of clothes neatly folded on a chair at the end of the bed disturbed him and he physically relax. Jihyo's clothes and her hand-bag was still there.

Dong Wook saw Jihyo cooking in his every mother's dream kitchen. She was wearing his striped shirt, her milky long legs were seductive to him.This was the welcome sight to wake up every morning.

He wrapped his arms around her waist from the back and kissed beneath her ears. 

"Good morning," Jihyo greeted stirring the boiling soup. 

"Smell delicious," Dong Wook tightened his hold and his hand travelled down. 

"Hey you are not helping," Jihyo poked his chest with her elbow. He winced however he didn't let her go.

Dong Wook trailed light kisses to her neck and his hands started to the shirt.

Jihyo was then spun around to meet eye to eye with Dong Wook.

His head dipped lower and her neck then he kissed her like they had not met for years. 

"I am cooking," Jihyo whispered.

Dong Wook turned off the gas.

"Problem solve," he smiled wickedly. 

His hand moved to her thighs and carressed them with circular motion. 

Jihyo could feel him hot and hard between her legs. That was the effect she had on him.

He moved away from the intense kiss breathing in.

"I want you now," Dong Wook murmured. 

"Breakfast fast," she said his face lightly. 

"I thought my mom's here."

"Does your mom usually come here?"

"Saturday and Sunday. To check on his son how he is surviving over fast food," Dong Wook teased and patted a kiss. 

"Thats so sweet. I wish my mom's still alive." Jihyo accidentally blurted out. Her face was clouded by melancholy. 

Dong Wook recalled the night before when Jihyo sleeptalked. Part of him warned him he shouldn't ask. However his detective mode won. He wanted to know more about her. The recent day, she had given mix signals which told him she was hiding something very well. 

"Umm... what happened to your parents?"

Jihyo hesitated for a moment. Fears rolled and rolled. This was not the question she was expecting. She lied.

"They... they died in a car crash when I was four."

Years of experience as a detective, he could see whether one was talking truely or lying. She was not telling the truth.

Jihyo removed his hand around her waist and set two bowls of rice on the table. 

The atmosphere was awkward. Jihyo face was mong. She didn't even glance at him. Dong Wook scolded himself for being inquistive and if he could turn back time, he would make sure he did not ask that question. 

Jihyo looked as blank as she always was and it was difficult to see what she was actually thinking.

"What are you doing today?" Dong Wook asked in a hope to lighten the mood.

"I am visiting the Orphanage today. Thats what I always do during weekends," Jihyo seemed to get away from her earlier grimaced mood. 

"You free tonight? Shall we go out? Dinner?" Dong Wook hesitated for a second but he said it anyway. Every part of his brain was nagging him to move on to next step with her. Next step? Relationship? That, he couldn't decide. What he understood was he wanted to be with her anytime. He only wanted her and wanted her to want only him. 

"Are you asking me out on a date?" Jihyo lifted one eyebrow and looked up him.

"Kind of. I don't know where our relation is heading to. But lets enjoy things as it is in present. And lets accept what life offers to us," Dong Wook said and reached out to hold her hand.

"I agree to that. Lets take it slow. I am not ready for a relationship and you neither. But we two crave for each others company. So....," Jihyo blushed.

"Okay to sleeping together?" Dong Wook smirked and Jihyo's cheeks flushed pink.

"And okay to no-serious date." Jihyo said.

"But," Jihyo her lips and continued, "Only me."

Dong Wook wanted to took in his and kissed at her cute gesture of possession. And he did as he thought. 

He tipped her chin up and sent lush kisses to her lips. 

"Yes. Only You. Your Man. My Jihyo," Dong Wook murmured and lifted her up onto the kitchen counter. He moved closer between her legs, his hands travelling upward and her body shivered with anticipation.

"Breakfast will do later. Here or bedroom, My Jihyo?" 

Jihyo threw her head back and laughed. 

"I am impatient here, baby."

"Here," Jihyo muttered.

.......................................................................................

Jihyo came back home, her heart rate raising. The device she bought was frightening her. 

Jihyo had been suffering from symptons. When the food nauseates her, she vomitted. When she checked the calendar, her period did not regulate. These symptons worried her. Worried her to the thought of  being pregnant with a child of a man who could not even decide his feelings. 

Jihyo prayed for the result to be negative. Negative. Please. 

She halted at the door of her apartment. He was leaning against the door. Hands in his jeans' pockets. 

He glanced up and his face litted up like a candle.

"Chang Ju oppa! What...what bring you here?" Jihyo stuttered at the man she knew well. The man whom she thought she loved.

"It has been a very long time," Baek Chang Ju whispered and his eyes strayed to the bag Jihyo was holding. 

Jihyo, noticing his look, she coughed and hid the bag behind him. Now she had to say another prayers. Please don't let him know. Please. Not him.

"What is it Jihyo?" Chang Ju asked and grabbed her hand.

"Nothing that concern you," she said.

"Who is that?"" Chang Ju tipped his chin forward at something behind Jihyo. Jihyo turned around and find nothing. When she was unaware, Chang Ju snatched the bag from her and opened it.

"Pregnancy test kit?!"

Jihyo grabbed the bag back and glared at him. She wanted to slap him. But she didn't. He just not deserved anything.

"Go away!" Jihyo shouted and pushed him to open the door.

"I am not! Explain to me! Or there would be audiences watching us," Chang Ju growled.

Jihyo gave in as she didn't want people talking about her privacy.

They entered the house and Chang Ju stated first.

"Whose baby?"

"It is not me. I bought it for a girl next door."

"You think I don't know when you are lying? I knew you for about like years. You have no one close except me and Joong Kook. And you look worried. Whose baby?"

"Yes! I am worried that I would be pregnant. So what? Does that concern you?"

"Do the test now," Chang Ju said in an upper way.

"Who are you to order me?!" Jihyo uttered in a sharp voice. "And why the hell are you here?"

"I want you back," Chang Ju said gruffly. 

"Is that why you came? Because you want me back? You want my answer? You think I still can't forget you? You think I would let you into my life again, like I always did when we were dating? I am not a fool you knew. So the answer is no. This conversation is finished. Now get out of here."

"Thats not it. You_have_to_let_me_in. Because I am the only one who is going to protect you. I know everything, Jihyo. You are being threatened by Eagle Gang. You don't know them. But I do."

Eagle Gang. Thats what she saw on the man's neck. Thats a drawing she saw in her father's photo. And how the hell Baek Chang Ju knew this? 

"How?"

"Joong Kook told."

"Did he now?" 

Jihyo cackled. Like a brother, Jihyo admired and trusted Joong Kook. She had never thought he would spill the craps happening in her life, to her ex. An Ex who left her heart in pieces when he discovered about her past. She couldn't reach for the proper emotions to that. Whether to cry or laugh. But she chose the latter.

"Joong Kook has to go back to China. The business he is currently working is unfinished. If he goes, he is concerned about your live. He called yesterday, told me everything I missed during this time. While he is away, I mean, even if he finished his business, I am going to put every effort to keep you safe."

This was beyond nonsense. They had no contact after their break up. And he appeared in front of her out of nowhere saying things she would not believe anymore. 

"Look, I can look after myself. I am not a vulnerable, fool anymore. I can solve my problems. Need no help from any of you! Now if you have finished with your statements, I want you to get of my house!!" Jihyo pointed her index finger towards the door in an angry gesture.

Chang Ju sighed.

"Don't be ridiculous. You don't even know why they are aiming to kill you. You don't know who they are. You don't know when you will be harmed. So it is best that I am beside you anytime. And tell me. Who is this guy? The guy you have been ing!" Chang Ju said violently pulling her into his arms. 

"What are you doing! Let me go! You are disgusting!" Jihyo blurted out when a memory of the time they were dating alarmed her.

Baek Chang Ju let her go as if the word 'disgust' hurt him more than being kicked in the ball.

"Why do you bring that up? I apologized for like million times. It is..." Chang Ju left no words to say.

She didn't mean to bring this up. She knew it was all left behind in the past. However, this is the only way she could make him let her go. 

"It is a mistake. A mistake that I stupidly forgave. We ended our relationship years ago. Technically it is YOU. You ended that. And why...why do you want to ruin my life again. Just... Stay away from me. All my problems. I can take care of that. You don't have to worry."

Chang Ju stared at her. Silent stretched. Finally,

"I will see you tomorrow. And if that son of a doesn't take the baby, I will take care of both of you," with the final sentence that remained confuse in Jihyo's head, Chang Ju left the house. 

Jihyo sat in front of the bathroom. Her head against the bathroom door. 

She closed her eyes and relaxed. 

She was thankful that the test showed negative. Negative. Negative. She was not pregnant. She's safe. One problem was solved. 

It was raining heavily outside. Thunders crushing. Lighting torn. 

She vaguely heard that there would be a storm from the weather news from the TV. She was not watching.

Jihyo switched it so that there was sound that would accompany her in a lonely apartment. 

Jihyo checked the time. It was 10:30 in the night. She was certained Dong Wook would not sleep today at her place.

He was always busy. Jihyo thought he must be a successful lawyer. He rarely talked about his work. Yet as long as he was near her, Jihyo felt complete. Her small apartment, not even wide as the living room of Dong Wook's place, came alive with laughter every night he came. 

A girl who had been taking care of herself for a long time wanted to depend on someone who could light up her always gloomy mood.

Knowing Dong Wook meant discovering a light in a dark world to Jihyo. Thats why she didn't want to let him go. Thats why she didn't open up her true feelings. If she said she loved him, he would freak out and her versatile heart would gone. 

Lightning flashed and the light went off. Dark overwhelmed Jihyo's little place. Just the sound of rain droppings and wind blowing. 

It was not a surprise for Jihyo. Power's usually off when heavy rain occured at their unit.

Wondering when the old generator would come alive, Jihyo settled to go to bed. She searched for her phone to switch the flash light. 

Then, the door's handle rattled. With the help of a flashlight, she could clearly see that the handle was shaken. Someone must be trying to open it. 

If any visitors were there, they would ring the bell or at least they would call her name. And Dong Wook, he had the spare key to her apartment.

Who could that be then? Jihyo stayed silent. The rattle became so violent that it could have been broken. 

Jihyo fumbled with her hand to find something that could harm the unknown person. She grabbed a knife from the kitchen counter. Her heart rate raising as anxiousness kicked in.

The handle rattled. Heart beat. Rattled. Heart Beat. 

But then it stopped. Nothing happened. She waited. Everything became silent again. The hand she was holding the knife trembled. 

Jihyo dropped the knife and she kneeled on the floor. She pull her knees together to her chest and curled up into a ball. Eyes got teary. 

In the state of living in fear, she wondered when she would get out of this. 

Just then a click sound alarmed her and the door jerked opened.

Darkness was not helping. It made her more anxious, more nervous as the black object..

.......................................................................................

What do you think of this fic? Do you like it? The comments you guys give are the encouragement to me. Love you guys! Stay tunes for the later chapter!! Thank you.<3