Happy Birthday (Chap. 7)

My Boyfriend from Kindergarten

 

 

      For the pass 2 months, we talked on the phone every day after school. Kids at our school called us Mr. and Mrs. Olive. I actually didn't care either. We was always together so we both wasn't surprised about it. But actually, it was fun. I felt like we were the youngest power couple ever.

"Okay class I have important news to tell you all..in three weeks there will be a talent show!" Everyone got excited and started clapping and yelling.

"Alright alright simmer down! Now, whoever wins first place,  will get 500 dollars!"

Woah, I gotta join this...no matter what.

"You may work alone, or in teams. Its up to you. But by the end of today, I will need to know who is doing what so I can write your names down. So who's in?!"

Everyone yelled me and raised their hand. I was included.
 

By lunch time me and Oliver was discussing the talent show and I was once again, eating his lunch. I'm sick and tired of Spam. And Oliver never finishes his food anyway, so I help.

"So what are you thinking about doing for the talent show??"

"Umm I don't know yet! I think I wanna play one of my instruments. Violin or piano; pick!"

"Ummmmmmm both! Haha."  I joked

"Noo haha! I can't do that!"

"I know I know hehe. Maybe piano?"

"Hmm sounds good..but It won't be any fun" he says pouting his face, food all in his mouth.

"Why not?"

"Because you won't be with me!"

I started to blush. Thank God I was black so he couldn't see it. In a way I could be with him..

"I could join...but I'm too shy. But I really do want to be in the show to win."

"Ohh, I have an idea! Maybe you could sing! I heard you sing many times during play time in the gym. I know you thought no one could hear you but III diiid! hehe"

He heard me singing? Well that's embarrassing. I hate singing in front of people, unless its my mommy. But I wanna win. I need to win..for mommy. She needs money to buy medicine so she can feel better. She gotten even more sick. She barely gets out of bed now. And I'm not allowed upstairs so I rarely see her.

"Hmm, okay sounds good..I'll do it!" I said holding my hand up for a high five, returning one eagerly.

"Now that's more like it! Oh, and I have a something else to tell you.."

What more he gotta say? He saw me doing something else embarrassing?

"My birthday is coming up!"

"Wow really?"

"Yup. Its two days before the talent show! All gifts are accepted! hehe."

Wow thats really cool that his birthday is that close to the talent show. I really want to do something special for him..maybe make him something. But I'm not telling him. Its gonna be a surprise
 

    Later on after lunch we tell Ms. Lee that we are working together and I'll be singing and he will be playing the piano. She was so excited to hear about us doing this that she told us she will help us any way she can. She's so cool.

Everyday we met back and forth and practiced at his house because he had a piano there. My daddy was in one of his sober weeks so things been okay, just enough for me to go out, and visit mommy upstairs. 

We decided to perform Fools by Troye Sivan, and I think this song meant a lot to us. It really described our lives. Oliver played the piano so well. The way he played was so soothing and calming; and it just made me never want to leave his side. Each melody wrapped itself up in my singing, and it was beautiful. Mr. Lee begins to clap

"Ohwah, that was amazing! How did you learn to sing like that, Olivia??"

I didn't know what to say. No one ever complimented me on my singing before

"My mommy and I use to sing all the time before she got sick"

"Oh wow really? I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she feels better! And I'm glad she blessed you with such an angelic voice!" I was so happy by his words. It gave me much confidence.

We took a break and I asked what flavor cake was Olivers' favorite to his dad. He said he loves chocolate, and I decided to make a chocolate cake for him before his birthday.

One thing I am good at doing is baking. My mommy taught me all the works! And I was gonna show Oliver my skills too. 

On the final weekend of the talent show, I make the cake, with my special frosting.  I put the cake in a pink and red container and place it in the fridge. I hope he likes it.
 

*******************
 

The morning arrives and I wake up super excited. I put on one of my favorite dresses and black shoes and put my hair up in a curly bun  with a flower headband .

I put on one of my favorite dresses and black shoes and put my hair up in a curly bun  with a flower headband

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I can't wait to see him and how surprised he will be!

I finally arrive to school and eagerly wait until it was lunch time.  I run straight outside and sat at the bench waiting for him. 

As he runs up and sees me, he stops and just looks. He looks at me, extremely dazed and mesmerized. I began to giggle, knowing why he was acting that way.

"WOOAH ! YOUU LOOK BEAUTIFUL!" He runs up and sits down right next to me.

"Why are you so dressed up today" he asked, his mouth still wide open 

"Well..today is a special day. Happy Birthday!" I say, and pull out the container

"OMO! Whats that?! " he asks, jumping up and down out of his seat, almost falling over the bench

"Its a special cake I made just for you! I hope you like it Oliver" I say smiling. I reach over and hug him tightly. He hugs back and holds me, whispering

 "Saranghae...jeonmal saranghae..."

What did he just say?

"Huh?"

"Hehe don't worry about it. I'll tell you later! After the talent show!" He pulls back and his face...Oh my goodness his face was red. Extremely red. Like he was holding his breath. I tried to ignore it and pull open the top.

"Wow its so awesome! Thank you Olivia!"

"Hehe you're welcome" 

I hand him over the cake and he doesn't even bother to cut a slice out. He just takes his fork and digs in, which I didn't really care. I had this cake before.

"Wow... this is soo good!" he muffles, stuffing more cake in his mouth.  I began giggling. He was so cute.

But after a few more bites, he just stopped eating and looked up at me. The way he looked at me wasn't a good look. It was a look of terror.

"Olivia..." he says swallowing...he kept swallowing..and swallowing. but there was no cake in his mouth.

"Yes? What's wrong? Oliver...Oliver!"

He begins gasping, beads of sweat forming around his face

"Olivia! My bag! Get my bag!"

I was so scared. I didn't know what was going on. I quickly grab his bag and hand it to him. What's wrong with him?

"Where is it...where is it?! Whe...ug..ug..ug" 

"OLIVER!"

He started shaking and he finally pulled out this little bag in his book bag and ped it;  but then he dropped it. He fell off the bench, onto the ground gasping for air. His face became pale. He pointed to the bag with all his might trying to get me to pick it up.

I open the bag and see there's a big needle in it. I pull it out, not knowing what to do with it, I look at him crying

"Stab...sta..ug....ug..."

"Stab? What?  What does that mean! Oliver! OLIVER!!"

His body slowed down, his eyes became motionless... His face, like a ghost.

"Oliver....OLIVER Wake up! Oliver! HELP! HELP!" I  cried but no one came. Everyone was inside.

What does he want me to do with the needle?!

Oliver's face was white, and his eyes were just looking at me...

I scream. Louder than ever. Louder than dislocating my hip. Louder than mommy getting beat till blood spewed out. I drop the needle and run. Run for help as fast as I could.

"NURSE EMMA!! HELP " I run to the nurse room and pull her out her chair before she could even say anything to me. I couldn't breathe. The person I cared for was slipping away from me. And it was my fault.

"Whats wrong?! Oh my goodness!!!" She runs to Oliver and checked his pulse and his eyes. She picks up the big needle and stabs him in the leg with it. I quickly turned away to that sight. She began to widen her eyes and tells me to go inside and don't come back out. But I couldn't. Oliver...Oliver  I can't leave him..

She pulls out her phone and calls 911

"Yes this is the nurse from Amberton Kindergarten school. Theres a boy here who had an allergic reaction and he's not breathing! I cannot find a pulse!...Yyes I stabbed him with the EpiPen and it didn't work! Please hurry!!!" 

I dropped to my knees...Allergic reaction...I forgot....I forgot.....my icing...had peanut butter in it...
 

I..did it..
 

I...did it...