Basement Calls (Chap. 6)

My Boyfriend from Kindergarten

     

 

     As I wake up from my nap, I look out the window and see the moon is out. I walk over behind the basement steps and pull out a cell phone that my mommy bought for me. I hide it cuz daddy doesn't know about it. I use it to call mommy when she's in the hospital, and to play games when I'm bored.

    I check the time, 9:45. I wish it was morning so I can just go back to school. I lay on my so called "bed" that's basically a yellow comforter with one thin summer sheet cover, and close my eyes..

" what if she is..."

"WHAT IF SHE IS?"

    Ugh I can't think about that. It just makes my heart flutter faster than before. I get up and dig in my book bag to find my crayons and coloring book. As I pull out the book, the paper with my name written in green marker falls out. Oliver...I miss him. I wonder if he hung up his name on a wall in his room? I pick up the paper, and realized there's a phone number on the back. I forgot after lunch, Oliver took my paper and written his number on it while we were learning our numbers in class. But actually I think its his daddy's number. He told me he played on his phone a lot.

    I really want to call him...but its getting late. Should I try?

I don't know what I'll talk to him about, but I just want to hear his joyful voice. 

I dial his number..850-277...

As I press call, I start feeling nervous and my stomach drops. After 4 beeps, a man answers the phone. I figured it was his dad.

"Yeboseyo?"

"Huh?..uhh hello?"

"Yes, hello may I ask whose speaking?"

"Um...Ol..livia."

"Olivia? Olivia Stewart? Is this you?"

"Yes sir.." I felt so out of place and awkward

"Ohh hi how are you? Its Mr. Lee. I assume Oliver gave you my number" he chuckles.

"Yes..sorry I call you. I know its late"

"Oh no no! Its fine. Oliver is always trying to stay up. He is watching TV. You want to speak with him?"

I had to lay down back on the bed because I was so nervous. I could barely stand up.

"Yes please"

In the background I hear Mr.Lee speaking to him, but I couldn't understand what they were saying.  I wonder what they said to each other.

"Hello? Olivia?"

His voice just froze me. I really just called him..

"Hello?" he says patiently waiting for me to answer. I know he probably was about to hang up.

"Yes hi...its me."

"Oh hi! How are you? I was hoping you was gonna call today. That's why I'm still up hehe." 

    He sounded so excited..just to hear me. It really made me feel good. I started melting away and getting comfortable with speaking to him.  I mean we suppose to be boyfriend and girlfriend, right?

"Oh really? How long were you waiting for me to call?"

"Since 9. Its no big deal. I was gonna wait till 10:30. I'm glad you called me, Olivia"  he said. I don't know why but I can see him smiling, just saying that.

"Im glad I called too." 

    We talked back and forth about cartoon shows and songs, and favorite foods. A lot of stuff we had in common. But also a lot of other stuff I never heard about. Like a cartoon show called Pororo?  Another show called Larva? He said he had the DVD of them, and would let me borrow them tomorrow. I just hope daddy lets me watch TV tomorrow.

    We winded up talking till 10:30 laughing and giggling about everything. I came to realize in this one phone call that I really do like him. He's very active and creative too. He plays piano, violin, and guitar. He plays a lot of soccer and baseball too. 

"Ooh yeah Oliver, what were you saying to your dad when he gave the phone to you?"

"Oh you heard that? Haha he was just telling me not to stay on too late,  and mommy might call so I should be ready to answer if she calls too."

"Ohh your mommy calls you this late?"

"Yeah! Its because back at home, its morning time! Crazy right? "

"Morning? How?" I was so confused. Shouldn't it be bedtime everywhere?

"My daddy told me that mommy is on the other side of the world; and when the sun goes down over here, it is on her side and the moon is on our side. And the same thing happens when we get the sun, she has the moon. That's why I like to stay up late. Because she calls me at night time."

Wow that's crazy. I never knew that happens. He lives an interesting life.

"Well, I have to get off the phone Olivia. Its super late! I'll see you later, okay?" 

I became sad that he said that. He took me away from reality temporarily, but I guess he's right.

"Aww, okayyy...Bye Oliver!"

"Jal jaa!"

"What?"

"Haha that means goodnight in Korean! Challl chaa!" 

"Hehe, ohh. Challl cha!" 

I hang up, and let out a deep breath. For the first time in forever, I was actually smiling. From the heart. 

 

 

 

 

But I think I spoke too soon.