Paper Bags (Chap. 4)

My Boyfriend from Kindergarten

 

 

     Lunch time arrives, but I have no idea where the cafeteria is at. As all the kids run out the classroom, I sit in my seat. But then I remembered that Oliver knows everywhere in this building. I quickly get up and run out the door, looking for him.

I see him down the hall way, and I trail behind him. He makes a left, I make a left. He walks down the steps, I walk down the steps. Finally we arrive to this big room with tables filled everywhere. There is literally nowhere to sit. I want to make friends with one of the other kids here, just to make life easier but a lot of the girls were giving me a nasty look, as if saying 'Don't you dare come over here'. I thought that only happened in high school like in the movies. Why is it happening in Kindergarten?

All the way in the back of the room, I see an EXIT door that leads to the playground. Bingo.

I walk straight to the back, not looking to the left or right, for fear of giving the wrong idea to any of these girls. Outside feels so good. Not like how it felt earlier; sticky and humid. There was a nice, cool breeze with just the right amount of sun. Better than that, no kids outside but a few at the slides and monkey bars. I walk to a bench, right underneath this huge tree. It was perfect for shade. Once I sat down and got comfortable, that's when I realized "My lunch..." I forgot I dropped it running away from my dad. I bet there was nothing good in there anyway. Probably what he feeds me for dinner when he's in a good mood: Spam and crackers.

My stomach cries out in agony, wanting something, anything to eat. I wish I had breakfast. Maybe I wouldn't be as hungry if I did. I start developing a real headache from hunger, and I put my head down. I'll just take a nap, until the bell rings. Just one more class, then its time to go home.

Five minutes pass, and then I feel a presence overshadowing me. I lift up my head to see that its Oliver. I'm not surprised.

"Um...can I sit with you? There were no seats." he whispered. When I first met him, he was so bubbly and happy. Now, he's the opposite. What happened?

"Yeah, sure." I scoot over so he can sit down, but he winds up walking around and sitting opposite from me. Nice move Olivia. I just put my head back down. I can't deal with him right now. I'm too hungry to function.

"Did you eat?" he says, fiddling to open his lunch box.

"Huh?"

"I said did you eat..already?"

"Um, yeah.." Before I can say anything else, my stomach growls and I quickly fake a cough to cover the noise.

"Oh okay..what did you eat?"

What did I eat? Oh Jesus what do I say? I don't want to say Spam cuz then Imma look like a weirdo.

"I had a PB&J sandwich" I bluffed.

"Oh, that's nice..I can't eat PB&Js. I'm allergic to peanut butter."

"Really?"

"Yeah.. all types of nuts. I get all red and puffy and my throat closes up and I can't breathe. Same with shellfish. My daddy always eats craw fish and shrimp, but he always gives me fish. My favorite kind of fish is salmon! Do you like salmon?"

He seems like he's returning back to normal.

"I never had salmon before." I said lifting my head back up.

"Ohhh its really good! You wanna try it?" He opens up his green and yellow top and everything in there seemed so neat and organized. It looked like art more than food. The box had fruit, vegetables and fish. So healthy and neat. Almost reminded me of the cannibalistic vegetables on our hallway walls.

 

I didn't want to say yes but "Sure i'll try it" I'm starving.

He rips a piece off and picks it up with this stick thingy. How do you eat with that? I take the stick and shove it in my mouth all at once. I don't even care if the food was gross, I was too hungry to care. But to my surprise, it was pretty good...pretty amazing..wow.

"You like it, right? You want more?"

YES. "no"

"No? why not? You don't like my daddy's cooking?" he whines

"No no I do like it..its really good." I just don't want to seem like a beggar.

"You do? Then have more!"

Before I can even stop him, he already broke the fish in two and gave me one of the mini cups of berries to go with it. Thank you God.

"Oh.. thank you" I stuttered.

"No problem! Oh.. I only have chopsticks. Do you know how to use them?"

"Chop what?"

"Haha chopsticks! They are used in my culture for food. I guess you can call them Asian forks."

Asian forks...hmm..interesting

"I'm guessing you don't know how to use them. I'll feed you then!"

Feed me?!

He picks up more food with the stickchops and directs the food to my mouth like a baby. I don't think I can do this..

"Come on! Don't be shy hehe. Say ahh!" His face is grinning from ear to ear. His smile made me smile..I began to laugh at how excited he was about this.

"Aha!" As I laugh he takes that as an opportunity and shoves the food in my mouth. He really fed me...but it wasn't bad. I guess he can feed me..just this time.

"Haha yummy right?"

We eat the whole fish together and at this point he was still feeding me but wasn't even using the stickchops. He was feeding me grapes. In a way, I kinda like this..

 

"Hey what you guys doing!" said a kid running over to us with 3 other kids

"Ewww they feeding each other. Only mommys and daddys do that!" Claimed one of the other kids.

"Na un! My daddy feeds me too!" yelled Oliver.

"I don't care! My mommy and daddy feed each other! And my big sister feeds her boyfriend!"

"So they must be boyfriend and girlfriend! Ewww!"

"Haha boyfriend and girlfriend!"

I became weak and frail. I was so scared. It was happening again. But worse. No teachers to stop it this time. And Oliver might ignore me again. I don't want him to ignore me.. He's the only friend I ever had..The only one who cared.

Oliver got quiet, and his face became stern and stoic. His eyes averted from me again. Oh no not again.

"Maybe...she is.." he whispered.

WHAT?

"What did he say?" said one of the kids.

"I said..MAYBE SHE IS!" His eyes looked up at them and they were fire. I didn't know it was possible for him to be angry. Is he serious?

"I don't care if you think we are boyfriend and girlfriend! All I care about is her and her boo boo!"     

He grabs my hand and runs away to the mini wooden toy house and crawled in and closed the door behind us. He was still holding my hand. He finally noticed, and jolted his hand out mines.

"Sorry..." He whispered softly. I could barely hear it.

"Its okay.."

"I just...dont like it."

"like what?"

"Them...everyone...not even my daddy. I just pretend to like my daddy so I can go back home."

"Go back home?" I became puzzled

"Yeah..my mommy and daddy left each other and my mommy is back in South Korea with my brother. I know my daddy must've did something mean to her and took me away, because she told me she would come back and save me. She said he was evil and never to trust him." He began to cry and weep bitterly, uncontrollably...He seemed so vulnerable. So helpless. I wanted to hug him. Cry with him..Kiss him on the cheek...

"The only person I have..is you. You make me feel better."

I make him feel better?

" I'm sorry I said that to the kids outside. I know we are not boyfriend and girlfriend.."

I grabbed his hand again and looked him in the eyes. His dark brown eyes. A rush of calm came over me again. And I think the same for him too.

"I want to... " I said

His eyes popped out of misbelief.

"Really??" he said. Eyes wide open. Filled with hope that I was telling the truth.

"Yes" I really was serious too.

His smile said it all, and he slowly gripped my hand tighter

"I want to too..."

 

 

 

 

I hope we both stay number 10

 

 

 

 

***Next chapter out Before this week is over!***

Let the games begin ;)