Home Sweet Home (Chap. 5)

My Boyfriend from Kindergarten

 

 

      My daddy picks me up from school and says nothing while we are in the car. Shouldn't he be asking me how my first day of school went? I'll just call mommy and tell her about my day. I know she will care.

"Oh, I forgot to tell ya. Since you wanna drop your lunch like hot cakes and leave it on the ground, your gonna eat that for dinner!" yells daddy while driving. I didn't know how good I had it in school until I got in this car.

    Once I got home, I ran straight upstairs to be far away as possible from my daddy. As I look down the hallway into the last room, I see mommy laying down. "Mommy!" I ran to her and jumped on the bed; hugging her as hard as I could. " Daddy didn't tell me you was coming home today!"

" I know, baby. I missed you so much. How was your first day?"

"It was okay.. I  have a new friend" you mean boyfriend...

"Oh really? What's her name?"

"It's a boy. His name is Oliver. He's very nice and look! He put this band aid on my boo boo"

"Aww ain't that sweet baby. His name is almost the same as yours. He must be your twin" she chuckles, but the chuckling becomes an unpleasant cough that has her gasping for breath just to cough even more.

"Hand me that clear small tube sweetheart.  Right next to where you're laying." She says with a raspy voice.  I hand her the tube that has two little pieces on it and she stuck it in her nose. "Mommy..what's that?"

"It's called a breathing tube. It helps mommy breathe."

"Why do you have a breathing tube?" I became scared because she never has a breathing tube when she comes back from the hospital. Usually when she comes back, she is all better after being in a fight with daddy. But this time it's different.

"Mommy needs it because I don't feel too well. It helps me feel better."

"Oh..." I wanted to cry. I don't know what's gonna happen to her. 

"Listen here Olivia. Come here.." I get closer and look into her deep brown eyes. She grabs my shoulders and whispers

"I know it's been hard for you. And I know your worried about me baby. But don't worry. Be strong for mommy. We will get out of this together. I have plans. But you gotta stay strong, okay?" I nod my head slowly and look down at her breathing tube.

"Okay...I love you" I whimper

"I love you too. One more thing... how did you get a boo boo on your head?"

"Daddy pushed me.."

"What? I'm sick n tired of this man I tell you...boy he won't be ready when we up and leave. That drunkin demon..."

"You don't have to worry about it! It wasn't a hard push! I'm just very clumsy..." I didn't want mommy confronting daddy because every time she does, that's when  she winds up fighting with him.

"You really don't have to worry mommy! I'll be stro-"

"OLIVIA! GET YOUR DOWN HERE NOW"

    A rush of coldness went down my spine as daddy yells from downstairs.  I hug mommy tightly one more time and run down the steps.
"Ye..yes dadd-"

  "What's I tell ya huh? When u come home today, you go to your room! Who told ya to go upstairs,  huh? WHO?"

"No one.." I whispered

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?" He pulls my hair and drags me to the basement door and opens it.

"Maybe you'll speak louder with a broken neck down these darn steps!"

    "I said no one! No one! No one daddy no one!!!" I cried, begging and pleading he won't push me down the steps again. Last time that happened, I dislocated my hip and he hadn't taken me to the hospital. He told me to it up and threw Spam down the steps for every meal. It took 1 month for me to finally walk.

    "Now that's what I thought! You ungrateful child! Getchur down them steps and no dinner for you! I'll feed it to buck. If you be good and stay quiet the rest of the night, I might consider giving you some dinner. Now go on. Get!"

    I hurry down the steps and run to my bed. He slams the door shut and I hear him locking it with the key. Why? Why is he like this? I feel like if I wasn't born,  mommy wouldn't have to suffer so much. I always think about leaving. But I have nowhere to go. I'll find a way.  Trust me. And when I do, I'm taking mommy with me.