two

The Good Doctor

C H A P T E R

TWO


Junmyeon bids goodbye to his patient and leans against his chair after he left his office. He sips on his already cold coffee and cringes a little. He stands up and pours the coffee into the sink at the corner of his room and throws the cup in the trash can near his desk.

 

He then sits on the chair again, asking a nurse through the phone to bring him a cup of hot coffee.

 

After a few seconds, he hears a knock on his door and asks the person to come in. Junmyeon looks up to the door and smiles to the short haired girl who's wearing a black skinny jeans and a grey tank top covered by a red stripped flannel on the outside; left ed.

 

"Good morning, Hayi-ssi. Have a seat." He says. Hayi sits on the chair opposite him and Junmyeon quickly puts on his glasses. He takes Hayi's file and he's ready to write down something on it.

 

Junmyeon glances at his watch and smiles to Hayi, "Thank you for coming early. It's in the procedure that patients have to come an hour before the test since we have to fill in some forms."

 

"Hayi-ssi, do you have blood in your urine?" He asks. Hayi nods, "Sometimes."

 

"How frequent does the blood come out?"

 

"How do I answer that? Hmm... Three to four times a day in a week. Yeah..."

 

"Does it come every week?" He asks. She answers, "Not every week. Sometimes there's gap between the weeks like two or three weeks until the blood comes again."

 

"Besides the medication you told me you've taken, are there any more medications you're taking?"

 

Hayi shakes her head, "No."

 

"Do you have any drug allergies?"

 

"This one type of antibiotic... I think it starts with C..."

 

"Cloxacillin?" Junmyeon asks and Hayi nods, "Yes! That one."

 

Junmyeon nods, "Alright. You're ready to go. The MRI Room would be on the third floor and you just need to go left all the way."

 

Hayi nods and leaves the room. Junmyeon's smile fades away when he notices Hayi's tensed expression. He sighs; let’s just hope she'll be alright.

 

Hayi places her signature on the form after she read the benefits and risks of the MRI and agrees to undergo the test. Hayi takes off her clothes and puts on the light blue hospital gown. She takes off her double ear piercings and her diamond shaped necklace, placing them in a medium sized box together with her smartphone, her sling bag, and her clothes.

 

A nurse stands beside her bed and inserts a small needle into her veins in her left arm. Hayi turns her head away and bits her lower lip to distract herself from feeling the pain. A saline solution flows through the line until the dye is injected.

 

Then, Hayi lies on the movable exam table outside the MRI machine. Hayi places her hands to the side and rests her head on the headrest. The exam table then slowly slides through the hole in the centre of the MRI machine.

 

"Good morning, Hayi-ssi. How are you feeling today?" The technologist speaks through the intercom. Hayi sighs, "Terrified."

 

"You don't have to. MRI is painless and is the safest procedure." She says. Hayi chuckles, "I'm not afraid of this. I'm afraid of the results."

 

Silence.

 

"It's alright Hayi-ssi. Let's hope for the best." The other technologist says. He then continues, "This test will last up to 90 minutes. We hope you can bear with it just for today, okay? If anything, you can just talk to us. We will hear you because there's an intercom in the machine. We're always here with you."

 

The machine makes a really loud noise and it's making Hayi uncomfortable. She shuts her eyes tightly while sighing mentally.

 

Her stomach churns since she hasn't eaten since morning. It is because she's not allowed to eat two hours before the test. Hayi accidentally lets out a sigh from and the female technologist asks, "Are you alright in there?"

 

"I'm alright, just feeling bored already."

 

"Hang in there, 80 minutes to go." She says. Hayi chuckles, "That sounds like a short time."

 

"Hello, Hayi-ssi."

 

Hayi frowns to the sudden greet. The soft voice sounds really familiar but she couldn't recall where she has heard it.

 

"Erm... hi." Hayi responds.

 

"How are you feeling?" The voice asks. Hayi answers, "Warm."

 

The voice chuckles, "It is warm in there.  Whenever you're feeling bored, you can always speak to the technologists okay?"

 

"Well I am bored. But sadly, I don't know what to talk about." Hayi says.

 

"Tell us a little bit about yourself."

 

"There's nothing much about me." She answers. "Aww there must be something. Your studies? Your job? Your hobby?"

 

"I'm studying at Seoul University but I'm a dancer."

 

"Cool! You're taking performing arts then?"

 

"No. I take Aeronautical Engineering." Hayi says. "Wow, that's amazing! What do you do in Aeronautical Engineering?"

 

"I learn about the design of an aircraft. I analyse the aircraft's behaviour, its performance, and its systems and hopefully one day I'll get to run a jet engine test and a flight testing course." Hayi says, slightly smiling while talking about it.

 

"I... wow... you must be really smart." The voice says.

 

"No, I am just lucky." Hayi says.

 

Junmyeon finds her quite interesting because of her humbleness. Junmyeon suddenly frowns because he didn't even know why he's here. It's supposed to be his lunch time but he decided to come up here instead.

 

"She's a smart girl." The technologists stare at each other. Junmyeon agrees even though they weren't talking to him. He glances at his Tag Heuer watch and sighs, "Hayi-ssi... It's nice talking to you but I have to go now. My lunch time is over."

 

"Um... Dr Kim is that you?" She asks hesitantly, making Junmyeon smile, "Yes."

 

Hayi laughs, "I knew it was you, I recognised your voice!" Junmyeon smiles, "You got me."

 

 

90 minutes finally over, and Hayi yawns on the examination table while it's sliding out of the machine. The female technologist pulls out the needle from Hayi's arm. After that, Hayi enters the dressing room to change into her clothes.

 

While Hayi's dressing up, the technologist stare each other to the results and quickly calls Dr Kim Junmyeon.

 

Junmyeon sighs through the phone, "Tell her that the result will come out in two days. We don't want her to be sad this fast. Her next appointment will be the day after tomorrow at 8a.m."



A U T H O R ' S N O T E
Typos and Grammatical Errors = Sorry
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT OR UPVOTE! I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACKS :)