three

The Good Doctor

C H A P T E R

THREE


Junmyeon could see the change in Hayi's expression when he explained the results to her.

 

"The main factors could be family history of kidney cancer or overuse of certain medications and... race." Junmyeon says. Hayi frowns, "Race?"

 

"Yes. Black people have higher rates of kidney cancer and you said your father was black right?"

 

Hayi nods.

 

"And he had kidney cancer?" He asks and Hayi nods ones again.

 

"Kidney cancer usually found in adults between the ages 50-70. In this case, the risk of you having kidney cancer is either family history, or medications. Because you are just 19 years old, Hayi-ssi." He says.

 

Silence. Junmyeon stares at the girl in front of him. Song Hayi doesn't look black. Her face is like a pure Asian and she has a tan skin just like his brother, Jongin. Hayi reminds her of a female artiste that goes by the name of Halsey. Halsey's father is black, but she's born with pale skin because her mother is white.

 

Junmyeon knows about Halsey from his younger sister, Kim Yerim. Yerim loves indie music and she's a hard-core fan of Halsey. Whenever he and Jongin's home from work, Halsey's songs will blast out of the speakers from Yerim's room.

 

Still silent.

 

Junmyeon speaks up, "Your cancer is on stage one. The tumour is less than 7cm, there's still hope."

 

Hayi shrugs while nodding, "What should I do?"

"There are a few options..." He breathes and continues.

 

"There are targeted therapy, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy and surgery."

 

Junmyeon continues, "All of these options have side effects. But I can tell you that the best option for you is chemotherapy. Surgery is a last resort."

 

Hayi looks down, "Tell me about it."

 

 

Junmyeon lies on his bed, his eyes are looking up even though he sees nothing but black because he's sitting in the dark. He mentally sighs when his mind suddenly recalls his conversation with Hayi this afternoon.

 

The look on her face was unwilling. Her expression showed fear and sadness. The way she looked at him made him feel guilty. Her eyes were teary but she didn't cry. He could hear her heavy breathing when her eyes were reading the chemotherapy's side effects.

 

Hayi shook her head vigorously and placed the papers onto Junmyeon's desk, "I-I can't do this."

 

Junmyeon was shook. No one had ever rejected cancer treatments before for as long as he worked here. Hayi was the first to do that.

 

"Hayi-ssi, it's for your own good. It is the only way to slow the growth of your tumour." He said.

 

"Just slow it down? It won't go away?" She asked. Junmyeon stared at her, "It can; if we try."

 

"Doctor, if chemotherapy doesn't work... what should I do?"

 

"There are still more options that we could try. We can try Radiation Therapy after that."

 

Hayi glanced at the papers again.

 

Nausea and vomiting: Nausea and vomiting are common side effects of some chemotherapy. The best way to manage nausea and vomiting is to prevent them. Medications can prevent nausea and vomiting in most patients.

 

Dental health: Chemotherapy can cause mouth sores and a dry mouth. It can also lower a person's ability to fight infections.

 

Heart health: Some types of chemotherapy can affect a person's heart. It can help to check someone's heart before treatment. This way, doctors can tell if treatment causes problems later.

 

Reproductive health: Some types of chemotherapy can affect someone's fertility. For women, this is the ability to get pregnant and carry a pregnancy. For men, fertility is the ability to make a woman pregnant. Women might need a test called a Pap test before starting chemotherapy. This is because chemotherapy can cause misleading results on the test. If there is a chance someone could get pregnant during chemotherapy, they should use effective birth control. This is very important, because chemotherapy during pregnancy can harm the fetus (unborn baby). It is especially harmful in the first 3 months of pregnancy.

 

Hair: A person might lose some or all of their hair during chemotherapy.

 

Hayi shook her head, "I can't."

 

Junmyeon stared at her, "Hayi-ssi, we're talking about cancer. It is dangerous and it causes death. It is a matter of life and death. You still have a chance, Hayi-ssi."

 

"You don't understand... this treatment... I... I can't." Hayi buried her face inside her palms. Junmyeon sighed, "Why are you so terrified about having this treatment? It could save your life..."

 

"I can't take the risks, Dr Kim. I'm sorry." Hayi looked down. Junmyeon became tensed, "So you rather to take a risk to die?"

 

Junmyeon turns his body to the right side of his bed. He realised that the thing he said to Hayi was harsh, but there's nothing he can do about it. It's been said and done; there's no turning back. Junmyeon remembered her shocked expression when he uttered the words out of his mouth. Right from that moment he realised he was harsh.

 

Junmyeon stared at her apologetically, "I'm sorry Hayi-ssi... I shouldn't have said that."

 

Silence.

 

Junmyeon opened his planner and wrote down his next appointment with Song Hayi, "The next appointment would be next week, same day and time like today."

 

"I don't think there will be next appointment. Just like I've said... I can't do it." Hayi looked down.

 

"Hayi-ssi... take these papers. There are benefits besides the risks and side effects. There are also procedures. Go home and read them all again. Don't decide now, think first." Junmyeon said, his voice was almost pleading.

 

Hayi looked at the papers for a few seconds before she took them and stood up to leave the office. "Thank you, doctor. I'll be taking my leave."

 

Before she closed the door behind her, she heard Junmyeon's voice, "Please, think about it."

 

 

Mrs Song Hayoung stares at her daughter who's eating her breakfast really slowly. Hayoung glances at the wall clock for a few seconds before changing her glance to Hayi again.

 

"You're supposed to go see your oncologist, am I right?"

Hayi shakes her head, "I told you already... I'm not going."

 

"Why?" Hayoung asks her the same question again since last week. "Mom, are you going to ask me the same question over and over and over again?"

 

"Yes, until I'm satisfied with your answer." Hayoung says. Hayi looks at her mom and sighs, "I can't do it."

 

"Why?"

 

"You've read the papers right? You do know what would happen to me if I undergo the treatment, right?"

 

"Yes, I do." Her mother says.

 

"Then?" Hayi asks. Her mother shrugs, "Then what?"

 

Hayi shakes her head in disbelief, "Mom, I'm working with an entertainment company."

 

"As a backup dancer." Hayoung continues.  Hayi shrugs, "So what? It is the only job that I'm holding on now. It's not just any job; it's my passion."

 

"Tell me what's wrong with it if you undergo the treatment. Why are you so scared of the treatment?" Hayoung asks.

 

"I'll go bald! How could I dance with no hair on my head? Do you think I could still dance with that kind of image?" Hayi asks. Hayoung sighs, "Oh, honey. You could've told me that sooner."

 

Hayoung moves closer to her daughter, sitting on the chair beside her. "Sweety, I know you love dancing so much. And I know how much you love living your life."

 

She continues while touching Hayi's hair, "This can grow and it can be replaced."

 

Hayoung then pats her shoulders with both of her hands, "But this... cannot be replaced." Hayoung shakes Hayi's shoulder for a few times, "Song Hayi could not be replaced. This is my only daughter. Your career prospects and you passions are replaceable but you—Song Hayi; is irreplaceable."

 

"I could sell my properties, but I can never get something like you, a living human being which is my daughter."

 

"Your passion can wait for a little longer but this tumour; it won't wait for you. Please, bear with the chemo. Once you're healed, you can do anything you want freely. Nothing will stop you anymore." Tears fall from Hayoung's eyes.

 

Hayi stares at her mother, "If it doesn't work?"

 

"We will try more treatment options. You can't give up easily." Her mother says and continues,

 

"Don't leave me like your father did."

 

 

 

Junmyeon glances at the clock once his last patient went out of his office. He pulls out his glasses and massages the bridge of his nose. Junmyeon picks up the phone when it rings, "Dr Kim Junmyeon."

 

"Hello Dr Kim, there's still one more patient out here. Would you like to let her in or postpone the meeting with her?"

 

"Does she have any appointment?" Junmyeon asks. "Yes, but apparently she's two hours late."

 

"Bring her in." Junmyeon says. After a few seconds, his door is knocked. Junmyeon froze for a second, "Song Hayi-ssi."

 

"Dr Kim." She greets. "Please, have a seat. How've you been doing?"

 

"Great, so far." She answers while sitting on a chair opposite him. Junmyeon stares at her, "You came..."

 

"Sorry for coming really late. It took me a lot of time to think." She says. Junmyeon looks at her, "You've thought of a decision?"

 

Hayi nods.

 

"And...?"

 

"I'll do it." Hayi says, making Junmyeon smiles.



A U T H O R ' S N O T E
Typos and Grammatical Errors = Sorry
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT OR UPVOTE! I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACKS :)