eleven

The Good Doctor

C H A P T E R

ELEVEN


Junmyeon has been giving her goldenrods for three days straight. He often enters her room and changes the flowers in the vase. Hayi would just thank him and blushes uncontrollably.

 

Jongin stares at her brother. It's currently lunch time and both of them are eating at the hospital's cafeteria. "You really like that girl, don't you?"

 

Junmyeon pauses from sipping on his coffee and looks at Jongin, "Hayi?"

 

Jongin nods and then he nods too, continuing to sip on his coffee. Jongin shrugs, "I like her too."

 

Junmyeon stares at him with a small scowl, "Excuse me?"

 

Jongin smirks, "I mean... I approve her."

 

Junmyeon softens and his shoulders fall, "Ah..." Jongin laughs sarcastically, "Look at you... all tensed up when I said I like her. Don't worry brother, I don't have any feelings towards her."

 

"You better." Junmyeon says jokingly. Well it sounds like a joke but what Jongin didn't know, Junmyeon is serious.

 

He really means it.

 

Jongin picks up his phone when someone calls, "Hello?"

 

Junmyeon notices the change of Jongin's expression and Junmyeon frowns a little when Jongin suddenly glances at him with tensed eyes.

 

"Calm her down. I'll be there in a few minutes." He says and hangs up the phone.

 

"What's up?" Junmyeon asks. Jongin gets up and sighs, "I have to go hyung. There's an emergency."

 

"Take care!" Junmyeon shouts from far away as Jongin jogs out of the cafeteria.

 

                                                                                                                          

 

The nurse injected the tranquilliser in Hayi's vein and she's now unconscious after a few minutes of groaning and screaming in pain.

 

There's a knock on the door and the nurses look at the door. Jongin enters the room and the nurses greet politely, "Good afternoon, Doctor."

 

"Good afternoon. What happened to her?" Jongin asks. One of the nurses speaks, "She's been screaming in pain. And she even hurt herself."

 

"She hurt herself? How?" Jongin asks, shocked. The nurse glances at Hayi, "She said that she felt an extreme pain somewhere around here..." the nurse points her index finger to her abdomen.

 

She continues, "…and she hit the spot for a few times. We told her to stop but she didn't listen."

 

Jongin stares at the nurse's index finger at where she's pointing and realises that it's the place where the left kidney is places.

 

Jongin swallows hard and mentally calm himself down while hoping that it's not what he thinks it is.

 

"Nurse, get her to the x ray and MRI lab. Tell me once the results come out." He says. The nurses nod, "Okay Doctor."

 

                                                                                                                         

 

Junmyeon couldn't believe it. He's devastated and shocked. The MRI result shows that Hayi's tumour starts growing again. The cancer cell is active ones again. Nearby tissue and surrounding nodes are affected by the disease.

 

"A radical nephrectomy and lymph node dissection has to be performed on her." Dr Park Chanyeol, the surgery oncologist says.

 

Hayi and Hayoung stare each other and sigh heavily. Hayoung pats Hayi's back when Hayi's head falls down; her eyes are staring at the floor. Dr Park looks at her sympathetically, "The thing is... the surgery might only have 1% chance to Song Hayi-ssi."

 

"1% chance of what?" Hayi asks, her voice vibrates. Chanyeol presses his lips together, "Cure."

 

"So that means... even though I would get through the surgery, we still couldn't promise that my cancer could be treated?" Hayi asks. Junmyeon slowly nods and his heart fell when Hayi buries her face in her palms. 

 

"It's up to you, Hayi-ssi. The choice is in your hands. We can't force you in this one." Chanyeol says.

 

Chanyeol and Junmyeon stare each other, both sighing mentally. Hayi looks up to her mother, her eyes are teary, "Mom..."

 

Hayoung gives her a sad smile, "Up to you sweetheart. Up to you..."

 

Hayi stares at Dr Park Chanyeol, "I'll think about it."

 

                                                                                                                         

 

It's been a week since Hayi's discharged from the hospital. Her head injury has recovered but she still needs to use the crutches to support her broken right leg.

 

Hayi hasn't thought about doing the surgery. She's honestly terrified. She's in doubt whether she should do the surgery or not. The possibilities of doing the surgery are:

 

Survive and be Cancer free,

Survive but not Cancer free;

Or death.

 

Hayi keeps staring at her phone, reading Junmyeon's message since last week but she hasn't reply. She's too caught up in her depression and she's not quite herself ever since.

 

But today, instead of feeling a bit under the weather just like a week ago, she goes out of her room and talks normally to her mother just like her everyday routine before. She finally replied the doctor's message.

 

 

To: Dr Kim Junmyeon

I'm alright. Sorry for not replying sooner. I didn't really have my phone with me before.

 

 

After a few seconds, her phone vibrates and she taps the notification.

 

 

From: Dr Kim Junmyeon

You finally reply. I was so worried. Where are you?

 

 

To: Dr Kim Junmyeon

Thank you. I'm at home.

 

 

From: Dr Kim Junmyeon

You've missed many appointments. Do you still have your medications?

 

 

To: Dr Kim Junmyeon

I don't...

 

 

From: Dr Kim Junmyeon

Hayi, can you come to hospital today?

 

 

To: Dr Kim Junmyeon

Why?

 

 

From: Dr Kim Junmyeon

To get your medications.

 

 

To: Dr Kim Junmyeon

I can.

 

                                                                                                                     

 

Hayi arrived at the hospital at 11a.m. She knocks on Dr Park's room and enters it. Junmyeon has set an appointment with Dr Park for Hayi. Luckily, there's a spot for Hayi today.

 

Dr Park Chanyeol

Surgery Oncologist

 

"Good morning Hayi-ssi."

 

"Good morning, doctor."

 

"How are you?" He asks. Hayi answers, "Alive."

 

He laughs and she smiles a little, "So... why am I here today?"

 

"I've heard from Dr Kim that you ran out of your medications. So, I'm going to give you more. But before that, have you feel any pain since the last time you were discharged that day?"

 

Hayi nods, "Every day."

 

"How often is that?"

 

"Very."

 

"And you ate your painkillers to ease the pain?"

 

"Yes."

 

"When was the last time you consumed the painkillers?"

 

"Yesterday. It was the last capsule." Hayi says. Chanyeol nods while writing down notes in Hayi's file.

 

"Hayi-ssi... Have you thought about the surgery?" The doctor asks. Hayi shakes her head, "I haven't. What do you say, doc? Should I do it?"

 

Chanyeol presses his lips together and leans against his chair, "Well..."

 

Hayi waits patiently for his answer.

 

"Honestly... no. I don't recommend it."

 

Hayi's heart fell and she quickly looks down to hide her teary eyes. The doctor continues, "Just like I've said... there's only 1% chance of you to be cancer free. Furthermore, the surgery is 50/50 of survival. Not all people could handle the surgery, Hayi-ssi."

 

Chanyeol looks at her, "Hayi-ssi... Go enjoy yourself. Don't think about it too much. Just know that every living being in this world will die eventually, we just don't know where and when. I'm not saying this because you are dying; I'm saying this to let you enjoy your life every second of it."

 

Hayi nods, "Thank you doctor. Umm... doctor. If one day I suddenly want to do the surgery... what do I have to tell you?"

 

Chanyeol froze for a while but then he opens his mouth, "Call me."

 

Hayi walks through the hallway and stops for a while when she saw Dr Kim Junmyeon in front of her. The doctor does the same when he saw her and they both stare each other.

 

"Good afternoon, Doctor."

 

"Good afternoon, Hayi. Did you see Dr Park?" He asks. Hayi nods, "I did."

 

He nods slowly, "Would you like to talk about it in my office?"

 

                                                                                                                      

 

Junmyeon keeps on staring at Hayi's face from the moment she opened to talk about it until she's finished. He notices her teary eyes and he knows she's trying her best not to let the tears fall.

 

"It's alright to cry, Hayi." He says. Hayi looks up to him and after a few seconds, her tears slowly fall from her eyes and she looks down again.

 

"Dr Park's right. You should go enjoy yourself. Hayi, I've known you for a year now. I'm not saying this as a doctor but I'm saying this as a friend... and as somebody who likes you..." he pauses.

 

"It's your choice whether you want to go through the surgery or not. But just know, whether you choose either option, you should always be happy and enjoy every second of your life. You do it not because you are dying, do it because you love it. Cherish every moment, Hayi." He says. Hayi couldn't help but blushes.

 

"As somebody who likes you..."

 

"As somebody who likes you..."

 

"As somebody who likes you..."

 

Hayi glances at him and asks shyly, "You... still like me?" Junmyeon smiles, "Yes."

 

"Thank you." She says. Junmyeon crosses his arms, "So... when can I take you out again? I'm free tomorrow so..."

 

Hayi smiles, "Are you asking me to go on a second date?" Junmyeon shrugs, "Whatever you want it to be."

 

"It's a date then." She grins playfully. Junmyeon nods, "So it's a yes for tomorrow?"

 

"Yes..." She says. Junmyeon grins, "I'll pick you up at 7."



A U T H O R ' S N O T E
Typos & Grammatical Errors = Sorry
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT OR UPVOTE! I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACKS :)