four

The Good Doctor

C H A P T E R

FOUR


"By signing this, you've given written permission for the treatment and you chose to have chemotherapy. However, you have to understand that treatment is not guaranteed to give the intended results." Junmyeon says and Hayi nods. Hayi and her mother stare each other for a few seconds before Hayi places her signature on the treatment form. Hayoung caresses Hayi's left cheek and pats her back.

 

"Mrs Song, I'm sorry to tell you this but I have to. Hayi's tumour grows really fast and the size is already 8cm, which takes her to stage 2 of Kidney Cancer. In one month, her tumour grows 1cm so that's why we need to do this really fast to make sure the tumour stops growing." Junmyeon says.

 

Hayoung nods and stares at her daughter.

 

"Blood pressure's okay, the pulse's alright, the breathing's great, and the temperature's normal; 37°C. Nurse, bring her to the bed." Junmyeon says.

 

The nurse smiles at her, inserting an IV tube in Hayi's arm. She bits her lower lip to prevent herself from wincing in pain.

 

"Have you felt any pain at the side or your back bone since the first of our appointment?" Junmyeon asks. Hayi nods, "Every day."

 

"How bad was it?"

 

"Sometimes mild, it would just go away after a few minutes. But mostly very, especially at night." Hayi says.

 

"What did you do when it's really painful? Did the pain go away after a few minutes?"

 

"It didn't go away. I did nothing. It hurts really badly so I just try to sleep and the next morning when I wake up, the pain's gone."

 

"Mrs Song, this is the schedule for Miss Hayi's chemotherapy. The cycle would be in between two to six weeks." The nurse hands a paper to her.

 

"Thank you." Hayoung says.

 

 

 

Hayi walks into the dance studio and she's greeted by the main dancer—the choreographer. "Good evening, Hayi-ssi. Thank God you arrived just on time."

 

"Good evening, Gyuri." Hayi smiles. Gyuri looks around and smiles, "Everyone's here right? We've got a job to do. We're going to be performing at La Fleur Restaurant."

 

"La Fleur as in... the La Fleur?" One the dancers ask. Gyuri nods, "Yes. It'll be next week on Saturday at 7p.m. It's an event for the Cancer Patients and Cancer Survivors from Seoul Hospital. We'll be doing some acts and performances for them."

 

Hayi froze for a while and swallows hard when she heard the word 'cancer'. She recalled yesterday's incident after the chemo when she vomited non-stop and she felt really tired.

 

"How did we get this job?" Another dancer asks. Gyuri laughs, "Come on... we're working for an entertainment company. Seoul Hospital pays a good amount of money to us, including free food."

 

"Let's do our best to give hopes and inspirations to the patients!" Gyuri says and stares at Hayi, "Hayi-ah... you're going solo."

 

Hayi stares at her, "R-really???"

 

Gyuri chuckles to her excitement, "Yes! You're finally doing doing solo first. Choose any song you want. You can choreograph your dance moves by yourself. But if you need help, just tell me okay? Your second performance will be with us."

 

Hayi nods vigorously, "Y-yes. Thank you!"

 

Hayi suddenly feels a tingly pain at her left side. She frowns but then sighs in relief when the pain fades away after a few seconds.

 

 

Hayi stares at the soft pink envelope that Junmyeon hands to her. She takes it and opens it while looking at him, "What's this?"

 

"An invitation to an event for the Cancer Patients and Cancer Survivors. You should be there tomorrow." He says.

 

Hayi swallows her saliva while she's reading the card.

 

Seoul Hospital Cancer Community Annual Programme

 

Venue: La Fleur Restaurant

Date: 24/12/16 (Saturday)

Time: 7p.m

Theme: Formal (Black-male//Pink-women//White-both)

 

Hayi is not sure whether she should tell the doctor about her performance tomorrow, but she believes it will do no harm to her health. She slowly nods, "Thank you."

 

"I'm looking forward to see you, Hayi-ssi." Junmyeon smiles. Hayi frowns, "Why?"

 

"I would like to see you in pink." He says jokingly. Hayi laughs, "If I wear pink." Sadly, I'm going to wear white.

 

 

Junmyeon sits together at one table together with his colleague including his brother Dr Kim Jongin since he's free from duty calls tonight.

 

A man comes up to Junmyeon and shakes his hand, "Dr Kim... do you remember me?"

 

Junmyeon smiles at him, "Of course I do. How are you doing ahjussi?" The ahjussi smiles, "I'm alright. Nothing feels greater than being cancer free. Thank you so much, doctor."

 

"I'm so happy for you." Junmyeon flashes his sweet smile. He sits on the chair when the lights go dim, signalling that a performance is about to start.

 

The music starts and the spotlight shines at the performer. Junmyeon knows this song—Unstoppable by Sia. He looks up to the enormous stage and frowns when he sees someone familiar.

 

Song Hayi?

 

"Isn't that Song Hayi?" Jongin asks his brother. Junmyeon nods, "Yes."

 

She looks different with a sleeveless medium length white dress. Her hair that has always styled neatly looks messy tonight as it is purposely styled that way.

 

Her left hand is holding a box of grey confetti. When she reaches the chorus, she takes a fist of confetti, spinning gracefully while throwing the confetti in the air. Every move she makes is flawless. The way she runs in circle on stage while making several spins leave the audience wanting to see more.

 

At the last chorus, for dancers come up to stage while running around Hayi while holding big white cloth, making the scene is worth every moment.

 

Junmyeon is captivated by her graciousness. He claps along to the audience when Hayi's performance ends.

 

"She's good." Jongin says and Junmyeon nods, "Pretty awesome for someone who studies Aeronautical Engineering."

 

Jongin almost gasps, "Who? Her? No way..."

 

Junmyeon nods, "She's not actually what she seems to us. Hayi learns Aeronautical Engineering yet she's dancing. She's pretty much like you; you danced but you learned anatomy."

 

"Oh hyung, you had no time for your passion anymore ones you've got the degree in anatomy. I had to let go of my dreams just like that..." Jongin says. Junmyeon nods, "True. Because you let go of your passion, you are now Dr Kim Jongin."

 

Jongin smiles, "True."

 

 

After a few minutes, the dance crew gather up stage when the lights go dim. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmoker and Daya is played through the speakers and Junmyeon could clearly see Hayi is dancing beside the main dancer.

 

This time, everyone's wearing black. Hayi is wearing a black sweatpants and a long sleeved tank top. Her black Puma is stomped on the floor while she's dancing. Junmyeon could see that Hayi's playing with her hip too much, making him swallow his saliva unconsciously.

 

Junmyeon notices Hayi's sudden expression change. She looks tired and she looks like she's breathing heavily. When everyone else is rolling their hip, Hayi just stood there, looking anxious. Hayi touches her left side of her kidney and that's when Junmyeon knows that she's in pain.

However, Hayi stops pressing the spot and continues to dance normally; until she couldn't take it anymore and she falls on her knees on the stage, pressing the previous spot. The audience gasps and the dancers look anxious and worried.

 

Hayi quickly gets up and runs backstage limply. Hayi leans against the fall, letting her body slides down to the floor.

 

"Miss, are you alright?!" A crew approaches her. Hayi groans in pain, pressing her side.

 

"Hayi! Oh my God!" Gyuri runs towards her after they'd finished their performance. Gyuri kneels beside her and cups her face, "Yah! Hayi-ah! What's wrong with you?"

 

"Move away! We're doctors!" A voice shouts. Gyuri and the other crews quickly retreat, giving spaces for the doctors to check on Hayi.

 

"Hayi-ssi, it's me... Dr Kim." Junmyeon says, kneeling in front of her. Hayi opens her eyes and looks at him, "Dr Kim?"

 

"Yes, it's me. Where does it hurt?" He asks. Hayi places her hands on the kidney part, "Here..."

 

"Has she ever complained about her back pain or side pain before?" Jongin asks Gyuri. Gyuri nods, "Yes she had... for a few times."

 

"When? During a dance practice?" He asks. Gyuri shakes her head, "No... She never complained any pain when she's dancing. She usually told us that she's hurt when we're doing... nothing. We weren't doing any activities when she told us about it."

 

Hayi's tears fall out of her eyes as the pain is unbearable.

 

"We should bring her to the hospital, hyung." Jongin says. Junmyeon shakes his head, "There's nothing we could do. If we use more painkillers, the pain will go away but the side effects on the kidney will become worse."

"What do we do, hyung?" Jongin asks. Junmyeon looks around, "Please leave this place for a moment."

 

The people at the backstage quickly leave the scene and now there's Junmyeon and Jongin left with Hayi. She keeps on crying while looking down and it makes Junmyeon worried.

 

"Hayi-ssi, please stop pressing on it." Junmyeon says. Hayi shakes her head, "I can't..."

 

"You can and you have to." He says. When Hayi didn't listen to him, he sits beside Hayi and pulls her into a hug. Junmyeon takes her hand from the kidney part and places it on his shoulder.

 

"Just squeeze my shoulder okay? Don't press the place where it hurts you the most, just... squeeze my shoulder." He says.

 

Jongin froze to his brother's behaviour. It's true that Junmyeon has always been a good doctor but he didn't expect him to do this outside the hospital. Jongin steps back and runs towards Gyuri and the rest, "Do any of you know where Hayi lives?"

 

Hayi sobs into the doctor's chest; her forehead is touching with his neck. Junmyeon winces in pain when she squeezes his left shoulder.

 

"It hurts..." she says. Junmyeon softens and pats her back gently, "I know..."

 

He could feel her shiver in his arms so he tightens the hug, "It's alright Hayi-ssi... just close your eyes."



A U T H O R ' S N O T E
Typos and Grammatical Errors = Sorry
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT OR UPVOTE! I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACKS :)