six

The Good Doctor

C H A P T E R

SIX


"Hayi-ssi... Hayi-ssi... Hayi-ssi!" Junmyeon's voice wakes Hayi up from her daydream, "Y-yes?"

 

"Sorry, you've been silent for half an hour and you've been staring at nothing. Are you alright? Were you listening?" Junmyeon asks and Hayi bits her lower lip, "Oh um... what was it again?"

 

Junmyeon asks, "How are you? How are you feeling?"

 

"Bad." She blurts out but then she corrects herself, "I mean... good. I've been alright."

 

Hayi stares at the needle that's injected into her veins in her right arm. She's doing chemo now and apparently Dr Kim comes to visit for a while.

 

"Are you sure?" Junmyeon raises his eyebrows and continues, "You can tell me if you want."

 

Hayi shrugs, "Nothing much, I just... I just got fired from the entertainment company because... I have cancer."

 

"Oh, I'm so sorry..." Junmyeon looks at her sympathetically. Hayi sighs when she remembered about the phone call she got four days ago.

 

"I know about your cancer and I'm really sorry about it." The CEO said. He then continued, "I'm really to say this but... we don't need you in the company anymore."

 

Hayi froze, "What? W-why?"

 

"Because... you have cancer. And I now it's hard for you. It's hard for us as well to let go of someone as talented as you but... the problem is... you have cancer. I know how cancer is treated so... I can't have a bald dancer in the company."

 

"Bald? That's all? Is it because of baldness or is it because I'm going to look very ugly?" Hayi tensed. The CEO sighs, "Well... um... look Hayi... this is an entertainment company. You may be just a backup dancer but the company cares about you. We don't want you to get hurt or fall sick during practice or shows."

 

"The doctor said dancing is fine for me." Hayi said, gritting her teeth.

 

"Ah... good for you but still... We need to keep the quality and the image of our dancers."

 

"I can wear a wig." She said.

 

"No, no, no. Just... just... you don't have to come back. It's complicated... I'm sorry Hayi. We really don't need you anymore. Our deepest sorry for you and... Get well soon... I guess."

 

He guessed.

 

Hayi threw her phone away when the line beeped. She buried her face in the pillow, crying her heart out while throwing some filthy words full of anger.

 

Junmyeon stares at her and caresses her right hand, "I'm really sorry. But I'm sure you can pursue your dream once you're cured. It takes time, Hayi-ssi."

 

"Hayi." She says. Junmyeon frowns, "Huh?"

 

"Just Hayi."

 

"Okay Hayi." He smiles. Hayi then looks down to her right hand, watching as he hasn't stopped caressing it. Junmyeon looks down to his hand when he notices her uncomfortable glance. He quickly removes his hand and looks down, "S-sorry."

 

Hayi smiles when she notices the colour change on his face. Cute.

 

"Doctor."

 

"Yes?" He looks up. Hayi smiles, "Dancing is not my dream. It's a passion— a hobby. Hobbies are not meant to be pursued. It's meant to be enjoyed."

 

"What is your dream then?" He asks. Hayi smiles, "To be an aeronautical engineer."

 

"Your dream is indeed different from other female teenagers." He says. Hayi frowns, "How do you know that? What makes you think of that?"

 

Junmyeon shrugs, "Well... some girls I met usually dreamed of being a chef, a model, an entertainer and many more. Something... more feminine."

 

"Are you trying to say I'm not feminine?" Hayi asks. Junmyeon shakes his head quickly, "N-no! That's not what I meant. What I was trying to say is... you're impressive."

 

"Impressive?" Hayi stares at him. He nods, "Yeah... tell me how many girls are there in your class."

 

Hayi bits her lower lip, "Um... one."

 

"And that one person is you?"

 

Hayi nods. Junmyeon smiles, "See what I meant?"

 

She blushes and looks down. Junmyeon asks, "Did you get an A in Physics?"

 

Hayi nods.

 

"Biology?"

 

She nods again. "Chemistry?"

 

Hayi shakes her head, "Got a B on that one."

 

Junmyeon shrugs, "Still good enough. How many B's did you get in your exams?"

 

"Um... one." She answers. Junmyeon looks at her, "Chemistry?"

 

"Yes..." Hayi says. Junmyeon smiles at her, "You're really smart."

 

"So are you, doctor."

 

"Says the one who studies aeronautical engineering." He says. Hayi rolls her eyes, "Well... says someone who becomes a doctor. Let me ask you something, doc. How many A's did you get in your exam?"

 

Junmyeon looks down with a shy smile, "I got... straight A's." Hayi smiles, "Thought so."

 

"Good afternoon, Dr Kim." A nurse greets from behind him. He turns his head to the nurse with a smile, "Good afternoon Nurse Jung."

 

"So... can I pull off the IV tube now, doctor?" Nurse Jung asks. Junmyeon glances at the IV tube for a second and nods.

 

After the nurse is done with her, Hayi gets up from the bed but then she feels a sudden gush in her stomach. She holds her stomach and sits on the bed again as she's feeling uncomfortable.

 

"Hayi? Are you alright?" Junmyeon asks. "I'm going to vomit." She says.

 

Nurse Jung quickly grabs a blue basin from under the bed, giving it to Hayi. Just as when she had the basin in her hands, everything pours out from in yellow and orange colour. Nurse Jung helps her by massaging her back to let her vomit.

 

Hayi presses her stomach and her tears fall out automatically each time she's gagging on her vomit.

 

"Let it all out, Hayi." Junmyeon says. After a few seconds, she stops vomiting and she is just gasping for air.

 

"Take a deep breath and exhale softly, Hayi. Are you feeling better?" He asks and she nods slowly.

 

"How are you going back home?" Nurse Jung asks. "I drive..." Hayi says.

 

Junmyeon and Nurse Jung stare each other before Junmyeon speaks up, "She can rest here for a while right?"

 

Nurse Jung shrugs, "I don't know... but... you still have other patients waiting for chemo."

 

"I'll be fine. Thank you." Hayi gets up from the bed and bows at the doctor and the nurse. Junmyeon touches her shoulder when she almost walked away, "Will you be fine?"

 

Hayi turns around and smiles at him, "I hope so."

 

"Next time, it'll be best if someone else accompany you for chemo. Okay?" He says.

 

"Okay."

 

 

 

Hayi cries out loud in her room. Some strands of her hair fall off when she pulls them out. She glances at her hair and stops pulling her hair. And then she pressed her abdomen where it hurts, slightly squeezing it.

 

The pain is unbearable but Hayi doesn't want to take the painkillers. She gave it to her mom and persuaded her to not give the painkillers to Hayi even though she's in pain. Hayoung agreed to it although she's afraid that her daughter cannot bear with the pain.

 

Hayi's scream becomes louder and she hits the painful spot for a few times. She's curled up into a ball with her left arm around her legs like a little kid on the floor. The floor is cold and Hayi shivers. She tried her best to get up but she couldn't.

 

"It hurts..." Hayi whispers but her sobs are loud. Hayoung peeks through her bedroom door with tears falling down her cheeks. There's a bottle of yellow pills in Hayoung's hand—the painkillers. She wants to give Hayi the pills so badly but she promised her daughter not to do that.

 

Hayoung stops peeking and leans against the wall, letting her body falls slowly to the floor. Hayi doesn't know, but her mother has always been watching her from the door, crying along with her.

 

Hayoung wraps her arms around her legs, rocking back and forth, "I'm so sorry Hayi."

 

Hayi's louder scream echoes in the house, making Hayoung sobs even harder. Hayoung looks up to the ceiling and rests her head against the wall while shaking her head slowly, "I'm sorry, Hayi..."

 

"It hurts..." Hayi says. As if Hayi could listen and see her, Hayoung nods, "I know."

 

"Mom..." Hayi calls, almost sounding like a whisper. Hayoung hears it and quickly enters the room, "I'm here sweetheart. I'm here..."

 

Hayoung lifts her head up and Hayi pulls her into a tight hug, "It hurts..." Hayoung nods, "I know..."

 

Hayoung caresses her hair and then notices some of Hayi's hair in her hands. Hayoung stares at the strands of hair and sighs, shaking her hand to let the hair fall to the floor.

 

"It's alright, Hayi. Mom's here... just close your eyes."



A U T H O R ' S N O T E
Typos & Grammatical Errors = Sorry
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT OR UPVOTE! I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACKS :)