ten

The Good Doctor

C H A P T E R

TEN


Hayi glances at her watch and it shows 11.43pm, which means she should go back home from her night walk. She pulls out her iPhone from her back pocket and scrolls through the notification. She smiles to a text from Junmyeon.

 

 

From: Dr Kim Junmyeon

 

Are you up for coffee tomorrow?

 

 

To: Dr Kim Junmyeon

 

Where and when?

 

 

From: Dr Kim Junmyeon

 

The one's near your house at 8am?

 

 

To: Dr Kim Junmyeon

 

See you.

 

 

After replying, she slids her phone inside her back pocket again. Her smile fades away when she notices two silhouettes following her from behind. She looks around to find some people but the place is quiet.

 

She fastens her pace and she notices that the footsteps behind her match hers. She takes a deep breath before she sprints at the neighbourhood.

 

Heavy footsteps could be heard as she starts sprinting. And that concludes everything, there are people following her. Hayi turns her head, only to see two men are running after her.

 

She keeps running while panting heavily. She finally sees a group of teenagers at the other side of the road, chit chatting while waiting for a bus.

 

"Help! Please me!" Hayi shouts. The teenagers look at her and shout back at  her as she is running across the road, "Watch out!!!"

 

Hayi didn't get the chance to stop. A white Honda Civic comes crashing her and she's thrown on the tarred road, 5 meters away from where she's hit.

 

                                                                                                                 

 

Jongin throws his coffee away and enters the surgery room. He puts on his mask and looks at the figure on the bed with a shocked expression, "Hayi..."

 

Her wig has been taken off, revealing her short hair. She looks exactly like how they met a year ago before she started wearing a wig, except this time her hair is thinner since it's still growing. The nurse wipes the blood from Hayi's mouth and puts on the nebuliser to let her breathe.

 

"What happened?" Jongin asks. The nurse puts on her mask and answers, "Hit and run."

 

"." He breathes. Jongin looks up to everyone in the surgery room, "Okay everyone, let's do our best... just like we do every ing day."

 

"Yes, doctor." They say.

 

Jongin stares at Hayi's almost lifeless body for a few seconds before he's completely focus.

 

                                                                                                                           

 

Jongin wipes his sweat with a small towel and he pulls out his mask, throwing it into the trash. A woman greets him anxiously, "Doctor... I am Song Hayi's mother."

 

Jongin gives her a tired small smile, "The surgery went well. However, she's going to an ICU before she's going to be transferred in a normal ward."

 

"Is she going to be alright?" Hayoung asks. The doctor mentally sighs, "Let's hope for the best. You can go home for now. We'll take care of Hayi for now."

 

"Thank you, doctor." Hayoung turns around and walks away with her head down. Jongin sits on the chair near the surgery room limply while slowly taking out his phone from his pocket and presses dial.

 

Junmyeon Hyung

 

"Hello?"

 

"Junmyeon hyung..." He greets with his tired voice. Junmyeon yawns from the other side, "Yes Jongin... what is it?"

 

"Hayi's here. She's in the ICU, just thinking that you should know it."

 

His brother's tone changes from a sleepy one to an anxious one, "What? Why?"

 

"Hit and run." He sighs. He could sense his brother's worriment through his vibrating voice, "I-is she alright?"

 

"Still unconscious. Hyung, I got to go now. I'll call you if there's anything, okay?"

 

Junmyeon sighs, "Take care, Jongin."

 

                                                                                                                           

 

3 days in ICU, Hayi's finally transferred to a normal ward once she's conscious. However, Hayi's still weak to get up from the bed. She would open her eyes really small and talk really less. After that, she would fall asleep again.

 

"Hayi..." Hayoung touches her hand. Hayi hums, not opening her eyes. "Have you eaten?"

 

"No..."

 

"Do you want to eat?"

 

"No..."

 

Hayoung sighs, "Are you really tired?" Hayi hums. Hayoung stares at her pale face, "Tell me if you need anything okay?"

 

"Hm." She hums. Hayoung glances at the door when someone knocks on it. A nurse comes in with a smile, "The doctor wants to see her."

 

Behind the nurse is Dr Kim Jongin. He enters the room and looks at Hayoung, "Good afternoon, Mrs Song."

 

"Good afternoon, doctor."

 

Jongin turns his gaze to Hayi, "Hayi-ssi?"

 

Hayi hums. Jongin smiles, "How are you feeling?"

 

He frowns when Hayi responded to his question with a hum. Hayoung sighs, "She's really tired."

 

"Ah... I see. Hayi-ssi, can you open your eyes for me?" Jongin bends a little to align his face to Hayi's face. He could hear her sighing but she opens her eyes anyway—slowly.

 

Jongin stretches open her left eyelid softly, flashing a flashlight into it. Hayi tries to close her eyes but cannot since Jongin's supporting her eyelid. He did the same to her right eye afterwards.

 

Once Jongin releases her eyelid, her eye automatically closes. Jongin asks Hayoung, "Has she eaten?"

 

"No, she doesn't want to. She said she's too tired."

 

Jongin turns his face to the nurse, "Can we inject some vitamins in her?"

 

"Sure, doctor." The nurse nods.

 

                                                                                                                           

 

After a few hours after the vitamins have been injected in her, Hayi opens her eyes and look around her. Her mother is not here and her stomach churns.

 

She notices a bouquet of yellow flowers on the table beside her bed. She reads a card that says get well soon, Song Hayi.

 

She tries to get up to reach for the card but she's too tired to do that. The door opens, revealing her mother who's holding a brown paper bag in her right hand.

 

"Oh, Hayi! You're awake."

 

"Hey mom." She greets. Hayoung puts on the paper bag on the table, "I bring food."

 

"God, I'm starving." She sighs. Hayoung helps her to sit up and Hayi touches her bandaged head, "Damn it."

 

"Don't touch it, kiddo." Hayoung says.

 

"I'm so tired... oh my head..." she whines. Hayi then glances at the flowers again, "Whose flowers are those?"

 

"Yours, of course."

 

"From whom?" Hayi rolls her eyes. Hayoung grins, "Well... Dr Kim gave it to you."

 

"Which Dr Kim?" Hayi's eyes widened. Hayoung smiles teasingly, "Dr Kim Junmyeon."

 

"Eh? Why?!" She asks, her face heated up. Hayoung shrugs, "I don't know... why don't you ask him? He's right over there..."

 

Hayi stops breathing and stares at the door where her mom is pointing at. Her eyes widened when she looks at Junmyeon, standing at the door, leaning against it while crossing his arms.

 

"How long have you been there?" Hayi asks. Junmyeon smiles, "Well... pretty much a few minutes. I entered the room with your mom."

 

Hayi looks at her mom with a scoff. Hayoung chuckles, "I'll be leaving for work. Bye sweety."

 

Hayoung smiles to Junmyeon before she leaves and he replies it with a bow. He then changes his gaze to Hayi with a smile, "How are you feeling?"

 

Hayi sighs, "I feel like... I could die anytime soon." Junmyeon chuckles, "Don't say that. You're still alive right?"

 

"Thank God for that. What are you doing here?" Hayi asks. Junmyeon approaches her, "To see you. I can't do that?"

 

Hayi blushes, "N-no... I didn't mean that. Thanks for the flowers. What are those?"

 

"Goldenrods. They pretty much say 'get well soon'." He says. Hayi stares at the flowers, "Ah... thanks. They're beautiful. I like them."

 

"I'm glad." He smiles. His smile slowly fades away, "I'm worried."

 

"Worried about?"

 

"You." He answers shortly but good enough to make her heart beats fast. "Guess we have to postpone the coffee date huh?"

 

Hayi grins, "Coffee date?" Junmyeon shrugs, "Yes I guess. Or you don't want it to be a date?"

 

"Of course I want." She blurts out and cups . He chuckles and sits beside her bed, "Get well soon Hayi."

 

Hayi smiles, "Thank you doctor."

 

"Ahem."

 

Junmyeon and Hayi turn their faces to the door, their faces red. Jongin crosses his arms while standing at the door.

 

"Hello Jongin."

 

"Hello hyung. I'm afraid you might have to wait outside. I'm going to check on Song Hayi-ssi." Jongin says.

 

Junmyeon gets up and smiles at him, "I'll be taking my leave. I'll see at home, Jongin—if you come home. And Hayi... take care."

 

Hayi watches as Junmyeon walks away, leaving her room. She glances at Jongin and notices his small smirk. Hayi frowns, "What?"

 

Jongin shrugs, "Nothing..."



A U T H O R ' S N O T E
Typos & Grammatical Errors Sorry
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT OR UPVOTE! I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACKS :)