five

The Good Doctor

C H A P T E R

FIVE


Hayi wakes up on the hospital bed with Hayoung by her side. Hayoung smiles at her, "Hey."

 

Hayi looks around and realises that she's in the yellow zone emergency ward. "What time is it?"

 

Hayoung glances at her watch, "1.06am. Does it still hurt?" Hayi shakes her head, "No."

 

From far away, Hayi can see the doctor that treated her before when she got into the emergency ward a few months ago.

 

"Good morning, Hayi-ssi. How are you feeling?" Dr Kim Jongin asks, now changed from his black suit and tie to his white doctor coat.

 

"Alright." She says. Jongin opens the file and looks at her, "We might have to do MRI test once again to take a look at the size of the tumour since you've been experiencing pain even after two times of chemo, am I right?"

 

Hayi nods. Jongin smiles, "Dr Kim Junmyeon has prepared some medications for you in case you feel the pain. Your appointment has been set for the MRI test so you just need to sign right here..."

 

Hayi takes the pen from Jongin's hand and places her signature on the form. Jongin smiles at her, "You'll see the technologist tomorrow and you can go home now. Rest, okay?"

 

Hayoung smiles, "Thank you doctor."

 

"There is no problem. Take care, mam." He says.

 

 

Junmyeon mentally sighs when he looks at the latest MRI result, showing that Hayi's tumour has grown to 8.5cm in less than a month. He looks at Hayi and Hayoung's tensed expressions, so do their muscles.

 

Hayi whimpers and holds her mom's right shoulder, "Mom... it hurts."

 

"It hurts?" Hayoung asks and Junmyeon looks at Hayi, "Hayi-ssi... can you lay on the bed?" He points to the bed near his desk. Hayi nods and slowly walks towards it.

 

She lies down and sighs heavily. "Can you lie on your right side?" Junmyeon asks. Hayi turns and he lifts Hayi's top right before her chest.

 

Junmyeon places his index finger on a little swollen part on her abdomen. Hayi groans and he apologises, "Sorry. It hurts right here?"

 

"Yes." She says, wincing again when Junmyeon touches the spot. Junmyeon bits his lower lip, "Hmm... I must give you painkillers. But I must say this because the painkiller will affect the kidney. So, it's best for you to take painkillers only when it hurts a lot. Okay?"

 

Hayi nods in understatement and she looks at Junmyeon's tensed expression, “I mean when it hurts like... a lot."

 

Hayi nods again, "Can I get up now?"

 

"Yes." Junmyeon pulls down her shirt and backs away from the bed when Hayi gets up from it. Junmyeon sits on his chair and writes something on the note, "As long as you can bear with the pain, then bear with it. If it hurts a lot then you can take the painkillers."

 

A soft chuckle escapes Hayi's mouth, "Noted, doctor."

 

Junmyeon smiles a little, "What's up with that?" Hayi shakes her head with a grin, "Nothing. It's just... you said the word a lot; a lot so..."

Junmyeon chuckles, "I meant it, Hayi-ssi."

 

"Thanks a lot, doctor." Hayi smiles. Hayoung glances at her daughter for a second before changing her glance to the doctor, "So... is there anything else doctor?"

 

Junmyeon shakes his head, "That would be it for now. Do you have any questions?"

 

Hayoung asks, "What about dancing? Can she do that?" Hayi scowls and stares at her mother, "Mom!"

 

Hayoung shrugs, "What? I'm just asking. If dancing's bad for your health then you should stop it."

 

Hayi sighs, "Mom..."

 

Junmyeon looks at Hayoung, "Well... dancing shouldn't be a problem, I think. But I do think that Hayi should take it easy because we don't know when the pain is coming and when it's going so... yeah..."

 

Hayi nods slowly and sighs. Junmyeon looks at her and smiles, "Hayi-ssi... you danced very gracefully."

 

Hayi could feel her face heated up so she looks down, "Ah... thank you."

 

"You looked really pretty."

 

Hayi couldn't help but blushes even more, "You're prettier— I mean you're handsome and thank you for that night."

 

Hayi looks up a little and notices that Junmyeon's face turns a little pink and she almost smiles to that. After a few seconds of silence, Hayoung clears , "We'll be going now. Thank you, doctor."

"Ah yeah... your next appointment would be five days from now at 8am. We'll be doing chemo and we'll add some more doses to you." Junmyeon says. Hayi gets up and walks towards the door, "Thank you doctor."

 

"You're the most welcomed, Hayi-ssi."

 

Hayi closes the door behind and her mother nudges her arm, "What was that? You were flirting with the doctor?"

 

Hayi turns to face her mother, "What? No! What makes you say that?"

 

Hayoung smiles, "a lot, a lot, a lot... really?" Hayi rolls her eyes, "It's just a joke."

 

"And from what I've seen he was trying to flirt with you too... in front of me. The girl's mother." She says.

 

"Mom, it's not like that. That's absurd!"

 

"Sweety, it looked like it." Hayoung says. Hayi sighs, "Mom... look at him and look at me. There's no way he would flirt me. He's a doctor."

 

"So what?" Her mom asks. Hayi shakes her head, "He's a handsome man and I am just an ugly duckling. He's a doctor while I'm just a dancer."

 

"A dancer who's learning Aeronautical Engineering. And honey... you're not ugly. You're beautiful just the way you are. If the world only looks at the beauty them why there are some gorgeous artistes got divorced? It's all about love~." Hayoung says.

 

Hayi stares at her, "That's the cheesiest thing I've ever heard from you."

 

"Cheesy but true. Why don't you try and win the doctor's heart? You'll have a bright future with him." She says jokingly. Hayi smiles bitterly, "If I have a future."

 

Hayoung's shoulders fall a little when she heard it. She wants to place her palm on Hayi's right shoulder but Hayi speeds up her steps, making Hayoung left behind for a few meters.



A U T H O R ' S N O T E
Typos & Grammatical Errors = Sorry
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT OR UPVOTE! I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACKS :)