nine

The Good Doctor

C H A P T E R

NINE


Hayi rushes to the hospital once she got a call from Kyungsoo. His 4 year old daughter has just been rushed to the emergency ward since she was complaining about a headache and she vomited. Also, she's crying non-stop in the emergency ward and the only person who could calm her down is her Auntie Hayi.

 

"I'm sorry but you can't enter." The security says. But before Hayi could open , Kyungsoo comes from behind and pats her shoulder, "She's with me."

 

The security then nods, letting them to enter the yellow zone emergency ward. Once Hayi steps into the ward, she hears the sound of a child crying. She looks around and finally sees Do Kyungmi, the four year old girl who has a brain tumour.

 

Hayi notices that other patients in the ward are staring at Kyungmi. Some are staring sympathetically and some are staring in annoyance. Hayi approaches her and pull her into a hug, "Hey Kyungmi... it's me, Auntie Hayi."

 

"Mummy!" She cries into Hayi's chest and she pats her back, "Yes... mummy."

 

Kyungmi sobs harder and Hayi lifts her up while letting her rest on her shoulder, "Shh... everything will be fine. I'm here okay? Daddy's here too."

 

Hayi and Kyungsoo stare each other, both sighing at the same time. Kyungsoo is three years older than her. They met in primary school and it turned out that they were attending the same high school. They were friends for almost 12 years.

 

Kyungsoo married a girl from his university. At first they thought they could live happily with their daughter but then one day the girl cheated on Kyungsoo and they divorced. The girl left Kyungmi with Kyungsoo and she didn't really care about Kyungmi. She would visit Kyungmi ones in a while, but no one can feel the love in the air.

 

Kyungmi didn't get much love from her mother, so she decided to call her father's best friend 'mummy'. Hayi has always been kind to her and she would often visit her despite her tight schedule.

 

"Kyungmi-yah... just close your eyes, okay? The pain will be gone soon." Hayi whispers.

 

"Did the doctor check on her already?" She asks and Kyungsoo shakes his head, "The doctor's not here yet."

 

Hayi winces when Kyungmi squeezes her shoulders tightly. She rocks her body back and forth while caressing her hair, "Kyungmi-yah... be strong okay? Oh you poor thing."

 

"Good evening, I'm Dr Kim Jongin. Hi Hayi-ssi." Jongin greets. Hayi smiles to him, "Hi doctor. Kyungmi-yah, I'll put you on the bed okay?"

 

Just as when she wants to put her back on the bed, Kyungmi struggles and tightens her grip on Hayi's shoulder, "No! No!"

 

Kyungmi cries louder and Hayi cringes, "Baby, you have to lie down if you want the doctor to treat you."

 

"No!!!" She cries. Kyungsoo sighs, "Kyungmi-yah... listen to mummy okay?"

 

"Mummy?" Jongin blurts out. Hayi shakes her head, "She’s used to calling me that."

 

"Kyungmi-ssi, I am Dr Kim Jongin. Could you please lie on the bed?" Jongin asks. Kyungmi shakes her head, holding on onto Hayi tighter.

 

"I'll give you sweets?" Jongin asks but Kyungmi still rejects it. Jongin sighs, "We have to inject her painkiller… you have to get her on bed."

 

Hayi sighs, "I'm trying. Kyungmi, you're a good girl right? You love me right?" Kyungmi nods slowly.

 

"Then listen to me, okay? Do you want the pain to go away?"

 

Kyungmi nods again. "Now lay down on the bed. The pain will be gone soon, okay?"

 

Kyungmi nods and the grip around Hayi's shoulders loosen. Jongin places his stethoscope in his ears and listens to Kyungmi's heartbeat. After a few seconds, a nurse approaches them with a tray. She injects needle into Kyungmi's veins, making her cry.

 

"It's alright... it's alright." Kyungsoo holds Kyungmi's little hand. Once she's calmed down, Jongin turns to face Kyungsoo, "What happened to her?"

 

Kyungsoo sighs, "It's her... brain tumour. She's been vomiting and her nose was bleeding. I didn't know what to do so I brought her here."

 

"How long has it's been since she's first diagnosed with brain tumour?" He asks. Kyungsoo answers, "Four months."

 

"Have she been consulted by an oncologist?"

 

"Yes. It's Dr Hwang Miyoung." Kyungsoo says. Jongin nods, "Ah... Dr Hwang. She's a medical oncologist. Has Kyungmi done chemotherapy?"

 

"Four times already."

 

"I see... I'll call Dr Hwang, and she'll replace me since she's your daughter's medical oncologist so she should know better about Kyungmi's health."

 

"Thank you, Doctor." Hayi says. Jongin stares at her for a few seconds before his face breaks into a smile, "You're the most welcomed, Hayi-ssi."

 

Jongin walks away and Kyungsoo frowns to her, "You guys know each other?" Hayi nods, "Yeah... he used to treat me when I was in the emergency. Oh you know... that time when I got beaten."

 

"Ah yes..." Kyungsoo nods. He approaches his daughter and caresses her hair, "You're feeling alright?"

 

Kyungmi nods slowly. He gives her a smile and glances at Hayi, "Kyungmi needs you, you know?"

 

Hayi mentally sighs, "Kyungmi needs her mother."

 

"She doesn't need her mother. She needs a mother." Kyungsoo says. Hayi looks at him, "What do you mean?"

 

"Hayi... Kyungmi loves you as her own mother and she needs you... I need you." Kyungsoo says. Hayi frowns, "What are you trying to say? I don't get it."

 

"Marry me."

 

Hayi's jaw slightly opens and she stares at him with wide eyes, "I..."

 

"I can't do this alone, Hayi. I need someone to help me... to help Kyungmi." He says. Hayi looks at Kyungmi who's playing with her fingers. Her mind is wandering around, playing some flashbacks and thinking straight about the future.

 

Poor girl...

 

Hayi bits her lower lip and stares at Kyungsoo, "I..."

 

"What the is she doing here?" A voice greets from behind. Kyungsoo and Hayi turn their faces to the owner of the voice. Kyungsoo's expression turns sour, "What are you doing here?"

 

"I'm here to see my daughter. What the is she doing here?" Minjae—Kyungsoo's ex-wife asks. Minjae has always been jealous of Hayi. Not because Hayi's prettier than her, it's just that Kyungsoo is too close to her and it makes Minjae really insecure as his wife—even ex-wife.

 

"None of your business." Kyungsoo says. Minjae frowns, "None of my business? She's sitting beside my daughter and it's not my business?"

 

"So now you care, Minjae?" He stares at her. Minjae scoffs, "I always care. Get her out of here, I hate seeing her face."

 

"I hate seeing your face. You don't have rights to say that to Hayi." He says, gritting his teeth. Minjae crosses her arms, "Why do you always back her up? Do you really like her that much?"

 

"She's my best friend, Minjae. You should've known better that we've known each other for twelve years and I've met you for only two years. Keep that in mind, Minjae." Kyungsoo says. Minjae scoffs, "Then why don't you marry her instead? Why did you marry me?"

 

"Because I loved you!" Kyungsoo raises his voice. Minjae froze for a few seconds, staring at him. Her piercing gaze turns soft.

 

"Your jealousy broke us apart. Your jealousy towards my best friend broke us apart. And your ing cheating heart made us entered into this kind of state. You made us like this!" Kyungsoo grits his teeth.

 

He continues, "You never cared about Kyungmi. Did you ever once -feed her? No! Where were you when she needed you the most? You weren't there! Why do you need to make this look like my fault? Why do I feel like I'm the bad guy here when you're the one who left us?!"

 

"Kyungsoo-yah..." Minjae's voice vibrates.

 

Silence.

 

"I'm sorry." She says and turns around, making her leave. Kyungsoo and Hayi stare each other.

 

"I'm sorry, Hayi." He says. Hayi shakes her head, "No, no... it's alright."

 

Hayi sighs and continues, "Actually Kyungsoo... I am sorry."

 

"Why?"

 

"You're my best friend and I really love you. And I love Kyungmi too. But... I can't marry you."

 

                                                                                                                   

 

Hayi shivers when the cold breeze softly touches her skin.

 

"Cold night, isn't it?" A voice greets from her side. Hayi turns her face and smiled, "Good evening, Dr Kim."

 

"Evening, Hayi-ssi. Do you know it's dangerous sitting here in the dark? This might be a hospital but it's quiet here. Anything could happen." Jongin asks.

 

It is indeed quiet and dark here in the hallway. Hayi shrugs, "I'll be fine." Hayi turns her face once again to Jongin. With the help of a little dim light from the ceiling, she notices a white roll hanging from the doctor's mouth.

 

"Is that a cigarette I see there?" Hayi asks. Jongin looks at her and chuckles, "Anything wrong with it?"

 

Hayi wanted to say 'everything's wrong with it' but she decided to keep it to herself. She shakes her head, "Nothing's wrong. It's just... weird."

 

Jongin blows the smoke through his nose, "Weird?"

 

Hayi shakes her head and sighs, "Forget about it." Jongin chuckles, "Weird because you're seeing a doctor who's supposed to know better about the harm of smoking yet he's doing it?"

 

"Yes." Hayi says. Jongin smiles, "Can you imagine it? I just spent 8 hours in surgery with a person's life in my hands. Sometimes I have 7 more hours to go and I may have to operate again before this day is over. I can't go sit down with a glass of scotch and take a nap. I have to be on all the time. This takes the edge off with the fewest consequences to my job performance."

 

That sounds like a pressure. Hayi nods in understatement, "I see."

 

True. Everything that Jongin say was true. As a doctor, he surely has a lot of pressure especially when people's lives are in his hands.

 

"Do you smoke, Hayi-ssi?"

 

"No." Hayi says. Jongin nods, "Good. Don't do it, it's bad. Once you're in it's hard to go back."

 

"I can see that." Hayi says. She then asks, "What made you start smoking? Depression? Stress? Pressure?"

 

"Kind of." He says.

 

"Just because you have someone's life in your hands that doesn't mean you should put your life on the line." She says. Jongin stares at her.

 

"You took an oath to save people's lives as long as they're able to be saved. You're a person too and you have a life too. If you can try to save other people's lives then why can't you save your own life?" Hayi smiles at him.

 

"I didn't mean to lecture. Do what you want, I don't care. I understand how much pressure you have so do what you wanna do." Hayi continues.

 

Jongin stares at her for a few seconds before he breaks into a chuckle, "No wonder my brother likes you." Hayi blushes, "You know about that?"

 

He nods, "Hayi's beautiful, Hayi's smart, Hayi's cute... blablabla..."

 

Jongin notices her face changing colour and he laughs, "He's right." Hayi scoffs, "Stop it."

 

"Do you like him?" Jongin asks. Hayi looks down, "Yes."

 

Jongin smiles, "No wonder you rejected that guy." Hayi frowns, "How did you know?"

 

"I was treating a patient right next to Kyungmi's bed... you didn't notice me?" He frowns and Hayi shakes her head, "No."

 

Jongin shrugs and blows the smoke from his mouth. Hayi turns around and walks away, "I'll be off. Good night, doctor."

 

"Good night Hayi-ssi."

 

"Oh... and doctor?"

 

Jongin glances at her, "Yes?"

 

"Next time when you smoke, please take off your doctor coat." Hayi says. Jongin should be pissed about it but from what he saw on Hayi's face, her expression wasn't showing any sarcasm or teasing. Instead, she smiled at him.

 

Jongin watches as Hayi walks away. Soon when she's out of sight, he chuckles to himself, "Amusing."



A U T H O R ' S N O T E
Typos & Grammatical Errors = Sorry
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT OR UPVOTE! I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACKS :)