one

The Good Doctor

C H A P T E R

ONE


It's 11a.m in the morning and Junmyeon is heading to a vending machine to buy a coffee. After that, he takes a sip of the coffee while walking back towards his office. He pushes the door and quickly takes a seat on his black leather chair.

 

 

Kim Junmyeon

Medical Oncologist

 

 

Junmyeon leans against the chair while scrolling through his phone. He stops scrolling when his iPhone flashes a new call from Dr Kim—his younger brother.

 

"Jongin." He greets.

 

"Hyung. Have you flipped through the file I passed you through Nurse Jung?" Jongin asks, his voice is tired. Junmyeon glances at a yellow file at the corner of his desk, right on top of other files and documents.

 

"Not yet. Is it important? I'll flip through it now." Junmyeon grabs the yellow file and opens it.

 

Name: Song Hayi

Age: 19           Gender: Female

Date of Birth: 1st July 1997

Blood Type: B+

 

"Who is this girl?" Junmyeon asks, sipping on his coffee for a second. "Her name is Song Hayi and..."

 

"I know. It's written here." Junmyeon cuts his brother off. "Well she was brought to the emergency at midnight. She was beaten by a pick pocket and I was on-call at that time."

 

Jongin continues, "I've done an x-ray on her abdomen since she was complaining about a stinging pain on it. The x-ray came out this morning and..."

 

Junmyeon cuts him off again, "Wait! What does this have to do with me?" Jongin scoffs through the phone, "Yah hyung! Just listen first okay? Of course this thing has to do with you."

 

Junmyeon sighs, "I was just being curious! Continue, please."

 

Jongin continues, "The x-ray came out this morning and it turns out that Song Hayi has kidney cancer—maybe. That's why I need you to check on the x-ray in the file. Does she need your consultation?"

 

Junmyeon takes the x-ray film from the file and places it at the light. He stares at the x-ray film for a few seconds before he speaks, "Have you checked her blood?"

 

"Yes. She has more white blood cells than the red blood cells. She told me that she's eaten lots of vitamins including iron tablets. That's because the other doctor thought it's anaemia." Jongin says.

 

"Make an appointment for her to see me. I'm afraid it is kidney cancer." Junmyeon sighs. Jongin hums, "Alright. So, when's your next available appointment?"

 

Junmyeon takes his planner and flips through it, "Okay let me see... The soonest date is next week on Thursday at 8a.m.

 

"Noted."

 

"Let me know if anything, okay?" Junmyeon says. Jongin replies, "Okay hyung."

 

 

 

Junmyeon is leaning against his leather chair when suddenly he hears a knock on his door. He sits up straight and fixes his tie to his shirt. "Come in."

 

A young teenage girl enters his room and walks towards his desk, pulling out her right hand for a hand shake.

 

"Good morning, I am Song Hayi."

 

Junmyeon shakes her hand, "Hayi-ssi, I've been expecting you. My name is Kim Junmyeon."

 

"I know." She grins, flashing her shiny braces on her teeth. Junmyeon replies the grin and asks her to sit on the chair beside his desk.

 

"Hayi-ssi, do you know why you're here?" Junmyeon asks to the short haired girl. She nods slowly, "Cancer suspect?"

 

"Don't worry, Hayi-ssi. We're just suspecting it. It's probably nothing. I'm sorry to ask this but, do you have a family member that has cancer?" Junmyeon asks, opening Hayi's file.

 

"My father." She says. Junmyeon looks up to her, "What kind of cancer?"

 

Hayi sighs, "Kidney."

 

Junmyeon mentally sighs and looks at her sympathetically. Hayi notices the change in Junmyeon's face and she sighs, "He was a heavy smoker and he was a black descent. My grandmother was black. They both married Koreans."

Junmyeon nods while writing down some notes on the paper in the file. "You've been taking some vitamins right?"

 

Hayi nods, "Yes I have."

 

"What kind of vitamins?" He asks. Hayi thinks for a fee seconds and then answers, "Multivitamins, B-Complex, and Iron Tablets."

 

"Do you take other medications?" Junmyeon asks. Hayi nods, "Zolpidem, Paracetamol, and painkillers; sometimes when I need them."

 

"Zolpidem you said? They're sleeping pills, right?" Junmyeon frowns, wrinkling his forehead. Hayi nods, "Yes. I am—was insomniac."

 

"Where did you get that?" He asks, curious. Hayi looks at him, "From the psychiatrist from this hospital. I used to have consultations with them."

 

"How did you get their consultations? Did you have sleeping problems?" Junmyeon asks and she nods.

 

"When was the last time you've consulted the psychiatrist?" He asks. Hayi anwers, "3 years ago."

 

Junmyeon taps his chin, "So, you've stopped taking sleeping pills since 3 years ago?" Hayi nods, "Yes."

 

"How about the vitamins? How did you get them?" Junmyeon asks. "I used to feel very tired—I still am. I have fever a lot; I ate very less so I went to the clinic. I had my blood checked and the doctors were suspecting me to have Thalassemia or least terrible than that—anaemia because of my abnormal haemoglobin. That's how I got the medications."

 

Junmyeon nods, "Thank you. I'm sorry again but I have to ask; do you smoke?"

Hayi shakes her head, "Never."

 

"Okay. We'll do MRI test on you. I'm going to check with the radiologist first about the available spot for you to do the test." Junmyeon says and quickly dials a number on the phone, connecting to the radiologist.

 

"Hello, this is Dr Kim Junmyeon from the Cancer Specialist. Yes, I would like to make MRI test appointment for Miss Song Hayi. The sooner the better... Alright, thank you." He hangs up and looks at Hayi, "Your next appointment would be next month for the MRI test. Monday, 10a.m, can you make it here on that day?"

 

Hayi slowly nods, "I think I can make it."

 

"Great, so I'll see you next month Hayi-ssi." Junmyeon flashes a smile and Hayi smiles back, "Okay."

 

He continues, "But before that, I need to give you some detailed instructions about the test."

 

"Okay." Hayi says shortly.

 

"So I'll see you next month?" Junmyeon asks. Hayi smiles, "See you next month."



A U T H O R ' S N O T E
Typos and Grammatical Errors = sorry
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT OR UPVOTE! I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACKS :)