Many Mistakes

The WiFi Thief

“I can’t believe you managed to get a cute boy’s phone number and I didn’t!” Jeonghan pouted as Wonwoo stared at the piece of paper in his hand in wonder.

“You can have it if you want,” Wonwoo said, handing it to Jeonghan, who shook his head and refused to take it.

“I can’t take it; he gave it to you,” Jeonghan scoffed. “I can’t believe this. I’ve been trying to get a cute guy’s number for weeks now with zero success, and you got one without even trying. Why does God hate me?”

“Because you’re lazy and forgot how to change the password and now we’re stuck with this embarrassing one,” Wonwoo answered.

“Are you gonna text him,” Jeonghan asked with a smirk on his face.

“Ew. No.”

“First of all, don’t say ‘ew;’ that’s lowkey homophobic. Second of all, he’s such a great catch. Did you see him? He looks like a famous actor slash model slash idol!”

Wonwoo took G-Dragon’s number and threw it in a nearby trash bin to make a point.

“Don’t throw it away. You may change your mind later,” Jeonghan suggested.

“I won’t change my mind,” Wonwoo insisted.

“Suit yourself,” Jeonghan said with a shrug.

-

It has been two weeks since the technician came, and since the handsome stranger gave Wonwoo his number.

And, unfortunately, the Internet was not getting any better. It seemed like whoever was stealing their Internet got the password again, and useless Jeonghan could not figure out how to change it.

For Jeonghan’s sake, Wonwoo did not tell the boss, but it became a big problem when the Internet got too bad and customers began complaining.

“Please send the technician again,” Wonwoo told his boss when he called again. “Internet is too slow, and customers are dissatisfied.”

“I told you to learn how to do it,” the boss replied.

“Well, um, we tried and it didn’t work,” Wonwoo said to avoid throwing Jeonghan under the bus and saving his (which didn’t really deserve to be saved, but Wonwoo was too nice).

His boss groaned and ranted on about how he always hires the laziest and the stupidest boys who don’t know how to do their job properly. Wonwoo secretly flipped him off with the hand that wasn’t holding the phone.

After a long rant, the boss finally conceded to bring in a technician “to fix the problems his irresponsible employees couldn’t fix.”

-

The Seungcheol fellow with great biceps came, and Wonwoo flat-out refused to let Jeonghan be the one to go with him to the back room to learn how to change the password.

Jeonghan pouted and threw a mini-tantrum, but Wownoo would not have it. “You are going to work at the register, smile at the customers, and make them their coffee. No more flirting with the y tech guys.”

If Jeonghan had not known that he had messed up badly last time he was with Seungcheol, then he would not have taken no for an answer. But Jeonghan, aware of his mistake, agreed to let Wonwoo handle Seungcheol, but not without insisting that Wonwoo owed him a boyfriend.

Seungcheol took Wonwoo through the process, and Wonwoo carefully wrote down all of the steps so that he wouldn’t forget. Seungcheol also taught him how to get to the page which showed him how to see which devices are using their wifi.

“Ugh, it’s that Mingyu guy again,” Wonwoo groaned when he saw the name appear in the list of devices.

“Just change the password and don’t give it to that person” Seungcheol suggested.

“If only I knew who it was,” Wonwoo muttered.

“Just search for the guy with the Macbook. Anyways, what do you want me to change the password to?” Seungcheol asked.

“Um…” Wonwoo thought of something he would remember: “shiningwifi96. No spaces.” He was a 96er, he would remember it.

When Seungcheol was done, Wonwoo thanked him and walked him out. Wonwoo could feel Jeonghan’s piercing gaze as they walked together.

“Here’s my card in case you need anything else,” Seungcheol said, taking out a business card from his pocket.

“Thank you,” Wonwoo took it and Seungcheol bowed to leave.

As soon as he was back behind the counter, Jeonghan glared at him with an evident frown on his face.

“What?”

“You got his number?” Jeonghan crossed his arms with a pout on his face. “Wonwoo, how could you!? You knew how much I liked him!”

“Relax. It’s a business card.”

“It has a number on it, doesn’t it?”

Wonwoo narrowed his eyes at his friend, who was evidently jealous for no apparent reason.

“It’s not fair,” Jeonghan said, “how come you get all the cute guys’ phone numbers? You’re not even gay.”

“Here, you want it?” Wonwoo told him, giving him Seungcheol’s card.

“No,” Jeonghan said. “I’ll just sit here and feel sad for my failing love life.”

“No time to feel sad. You have to smile at the customers,” Wonwoo said, pointing to the group of people who were coming in.

Jeonghan, unlike him, had no problem smiling. He was a natural smiler that did the smiling part of the job very well. It was probably the only part of the job that Jeonghan was actually good at.

As Jeonghan took the orders, Wonwoo began making them. Whenever Wonwoo made coffee, he tended to be in that zone, paying complete attention to the coffee he was making and blocking out everyone else. Jeonghan had often laughed at him because of how much focus and attention Wonwoo would give to each cup, but it was just Wonwoo’s thing. When making something, he had to give his full and undivided attention to it and block out all distractions.

And so, Wonwoo did not notice when G-Dragon walked into the coffee shop again and ordered a latte (full fat milk). He didn’t notice when G-Dragon gazed at him as he ordered. He did not even look up when G-Dragon told Jeonghan that his name was G-Dragon. He was too busy carefully making the cappuccino that the previous customer ordered.

It was only when the G-Dragon guy came to speak to him that Wonwoo noticed him. Wonwoo tried to suppress the unsettlement that was becoming apparent in his expression, but he perhaps failed. Oh no. Not this guy…

“I’m sorry to bother you; I know you’re busy,” the familiar stranger said, “but may I just have the wifi password please?”

“Umm, yeah sure. It’s shiningwifi69…. I mean 96!” Wonwoo wished he would just drop dead there and then.

The stranger burst out laughing, and Wonwoo was so tempted to take off his apron, make a run for it and never return. Perhaps he’d move to a foreign country and change his name too.

“I’m very sorry,” Wonwoo bowed to him apologetically. “It was an honest mistake…”

G-Dragon entered the password into his phone, still shaking his head and laughing. “Mistake… of course.” Obviously, the customer did not believe him.

“It was!”

“And last time, asking me for my number was a mistake too?”

“Yes!”

“So many mistakes when you’re with me. Must be fate.”

Wonwoo didn’t know what to say to this person who clearly did not believe him. He just stood there awkwardly, wanting to disappear.

“Thanks for the password,” Mingyu winked in Wonwoo’s direction and went to his seat.

Wonwoo turned to go back to making the cappuccino. But his mind was not in it because he was too busy cursing at himself for making a fool of himself with the wifi password. Again.

“I overheard your conversation, by the way,” Jeonghan said in a whisper with a grin on his face. “69? Seriously Wonwoo?”

Wonwoo ignored Jeonghan’s subtle teases and tried to focus on the coffee.

“Good thing Mr. G-Dragon seems cool enough not to file a complaint against you. That kind of thing would get you fired. Never knew you’d be the one fired for inappropriate conversations with customers.” Jeonghan stuck out his tongue and Wonwoo frowned.

“Go make G-Dragon his latte and shut up,” Wonwoo told Jeonghan, desperately trying to just forget the whole encounter.

-

That night, Wonwoo received a text message from an unfamiliar number.

“Hey. It’s G-Dragon.”

Wonwoo almost dropped his phone. G-Dragon? As in the G-Dragon from the coffee shop? .

No… it couldn’t be. Maybe it was Big Bang’s G-Dragon telling him he won a free Big Bang album or something. Maybe it’s signed! Yes, yes, that’s what’s going on, Wonwoo tried to tell himself, but deep inside he knew that he was just in denial.

“You there?” That was the next text message.

Wonwoo considered just ignoring the text message, but he didn’t want to miss out on a potential free signed Big Bang album.

“Who is this?” Wonwoo texted back.

“G-Dragon,” replied the person immediately.

“Of Big Bang?”

“Very funny.”

“So you’re that customer…”

“Yep.”

“How did you get my number???”

G-Dragon sent a picture of the writing on a paper cup with the café’s logo. In Jeonghan’s big bubbly handwriting were the digits to Wonwoo’s phone number.

G-Dragon then texted: “Your co-worker with long hair gave it to me.”

Wonwoo vowed to strangle Jeonghan next time he saw him.

“Anyways,” G-Dragon texted, “I think you’re witty and funny, not to mention hella attractive, and... I’m interested.”

Wonwoo never anticipated that he’d be in this position. Some tall, handsome model-like guy is interested in him.

“Look. I’m flattered and all, but I’m not witty nor funny. I believe you have the wrong impression of me,” Wonwoo replied.

“Even if that’s the case, I’m still interested. Let me take you out.”

Wonwoo groaned when he saw the message. He hated to be put in the position where he had to say no to someone; it always made him feel bad. He took a moment to think of the best way to let the handsome guy down easy: “I’m sorry, but no. If you want, I think my co-worker with long hair would be interested. I can give you his number?”

“That’s too bad :("

It’s all Jeonghan’s fault, Wonwoo thought as he cursed under his breath at his useless co-worker who can’t do anything right. If only Jeonghan was not stupid enough to give G-Dragon his number so thoughtlessly, it would have spared Wonwoo this awkward text exchange.

“Is your co-worker interested in dudes?” was the next message from G-Dragon.

“Yes, he is! You want his number?”

“You’re not interested in dudes?”

“Not really.”

“That’s not definite enough for me. Tell me one more time, loud and clear, and I promise I’ll leave you alone.”

“I’m definitely not interested in nudes.”

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,” G-Dragon responded immediately, and Wonwoo felt like he wanted to disappear. Again. ing autocorrect.

“DUDES***” Wonwoo replied to G-Dragon as he bemoaned his terrible luck in front of this guy.

The N and D aren’t even close enough on the keyboard,” G-Dragon noted. “Why does this always happen to you LOL”

Wonwoo send him an embarrassed-face emoji and hoped that G-Dragon would just accept his shame and get over it, but no.

Okay, but seriously, how did you end up writing ‘’ instead of ‘dude.’ I don’t accept that it was a mistake; D and N are too far apart.”

“HONESTLY, I wanted the D but autocorrect came in and changed it to N. Trust me.”

“OKAY NOW I KNOW YOU’RE GAY.”

“What?” Wonwoo was startled by the sudden assertion.

“Stop playing innocent!!!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You said ‘I wanted the D’ DID YOU HONESTLY THINK I WOULD MISS THAT?”

Wonwoo looked back at his text message. He couldn’t believe it. Did he actually type that? Why was God playing with him like this? And why did it all happen in front this G-Dragon fellow, who now seemed to have no doubt at all that Wonwoo was flirting with him in this really messed up way. And worst of all, G-Dragon seemed to like it.

omg I didn’t mean it like that,” Wonwoo tried to convince him. (He also proof-read the text message before he sent it, just in case…)

lol.”

“I’m serious!”

“I don’t want to keep pushing. Tell me straight out that you’re not interested and I promise I’ll stop. And make sure you double-check for typos this time!”

“I am not interested.” Before sending it, Wonwoo read that simple little message at least four times word for word to make sure there weren’t any typos or other meaning this G-Dragon could extract from it.

Okay. Got it. Sorry for bothering you.”

“Do you still want my co-worker’s phone number?”

“I did want it before, but now I like YOU too much to go after another guy."

Well , Wonwoo thought to himself.

After contemplating long and hard, Wonwoo decided to just ignore that message and end this train wreck of a conversation once and for all.

When Wonwoo put his phone to the side, he found himself thinking about how he managed to get himself tangled in this mess with that pseudo-GD person. It all started with Jeonghan’s stupid wifi password, and after too many clumsy mistakes, he was now being pursued by a handsome young man who totally thought that Wonwoo had been subtly flirting with him the entire time.

Wonwoo thought about quitting his job and moving far away so that he never confronts G-Dragon ever again, but those radical thoughts were replaced with realistic ambitions to just stay away from him. If he comes to the coffee shop, Wonwoo will make Jeonghan serve him. Wonwoo will have nothing to do with him anymore.
 


A/N: Honestly i find it hard to write comedy/fluff & I’m struggling but I hope it doesn’t show ^^”