Laughable Misfortune

The WiFi Thief

Things could not be more awkward between them. When Mingyu was done with his shower and was out of the bathroom, he did not even look at Wonwoo as he dried his hair. Wonwoo was sitting at the desk, trying to read something for class but simply could not concentrate with all this tension in the air.

Wonwoo wished he could fix it somehow, wished he could go back in time and not send that stupid text message. Actually, he wished he could go back in time to the moment he met Mingyu and never given him the stupid wifi password that set this entire mess off.

After Mingyu was done drying his hair, he went towards the heater and turned a few knobs until it came on.

“Don’t touch it,” Mingyu reminded Wonwoo brusquely. “It’s not very well insulated.”

“Mmm,” Wonwoo replied with a small nod. Oh, the awkwardness…

Mingyu then laid on his bed and looked through his phone.

The awkwardness was so suffocating, and Wonwoo just wanted to get the hell out of there, for his sake and for Mingyu’s. Looking at the time on his phone, Wonwoo figured that Jeonghan would be closing up the café right now, and so Wonwoo decided to go hang out with him for a bit.

“I’m going down to the café to talk to Jeonghan,” Wonwoo announced clumsily before grabbing his coat and getting the heck out of there. And indeed, it was such a relief to be out of that room.

Jeonghan was wiping tables when Wonwoo came in. Jeonghan looked happy to see Wonwoo, but put his hands on his hips and said sassily, “we’re closed, Wonwon.”

“I’ll help you close up,” Wonwoo told Jeonghan, grabbing another cloth and starting to wipe tables with him.

“Wow, you must be bored,” Jeonghan laughed.

“Not bored, I just couldn’t stay in the same room as that guy anymore.”

“Why?”

“I ed up. Again.”

“What did you do this time?”

“I made him think I’m interested in him.”

Jeonghan just laughed and shook his head.

“Don’t laugh,” Wonwoo pouted. “It’s all your fault after all.”

“My fault, what did I do?”

Wonwoo began wiping a table in the corner as he told Jeonghan the story: “I wanted to send you a text about the new guy you have a crush on, and I accidentally sent it to Mingyu instead and…”

“Wonwoo!” Jeonghan yelled to interrupt him. Wonwoo turned to look at Jeonghan and realized his mistake.

“,” Wonwoo muttered under his breath when he saw Jisoo standing at the counter, a surprised look in his eyes.

“A crush on me?” Jisoo asked pointing at himself and looking at Jeonghan inquisitively.

“No, no, no… not like that,” Jeonghan denied immediately. “I just meant I thought you were attractive. Not like in a gay way, no! Like in a friendly way. I mean like…” Jeonghan was tongue-tied.

“Jeonghan, I’m sorry, but I’m not very comfortable with that,” Jisoo said calmly. “Please don’t say things like that about me anymore.”

“Got it,” Jeonghan replied, looking at the floor, visibly hurt. It was the first time Wonwoo had ever seen Jeonghan so upset, and it made Wonwoo feel so guilty that he was responsible for it.

“You can go with your friend now. I’ll finish up cleaning around here,” Jisoo told Jeonghan with a restrained smile.

Just how many times do you have to up in one day, Wonwoo?

Jeonghan gathered his belongings and walked out, Wonwoo following him.

“Oh my God Jeonghan, I’m so, so, so, so sorry!” Wonwoo apologized sincerely.

“You literally just told the most religious boy on campus that I have a gay crush on him,” Jeonghan muttered. “Thanks a lot…”

Why did he always make mistakes these days? Wonwoo felt like he was somehow cursed or something– like God really was making him up as many times as he possibly could. This time it was even worse than before because he himself wasn’t the victim of this -up; it was his friend. It was so distressing to see Jeonghan, one of the strongest people Wonwoo knew, look so defeated.

“I’m sorry,” Wonwoo apologized again, not knowing what else to say.

“Make it up to me and buy me drink,” Jeonghan muttered with a disgruntled huff. “I really need one right now.”

And so Wonwoo took Jeonghan to a bar, and Jeonghan drank.

Jeonghan is a silent drinker, but a fast one at that. Glass after glass, Jeonghan would just chug down the alcohol, and Wonwoo did not have the heart to ask him to stop. Something was visibly wrong with him, and alcohol seemed to help.

It was only when Jeonghan was completely wasted that Wonwoo felt obligated to stop him. He paid the bill (which ended up being almost a quarter of his savings, but whatever), and helped a drunkenly swaying Jeonghan out of the bar.

Wonwoo didn’t know where Jeonghan’s dorm was, and clearly Jeonghan was not in the state to give directions. Wonwoo thought of calling Jeonghan’s roommate, but Wonwoo did not have his number and Jeonghan’s phone had a passcode that Jeonghan was way too drunk to remember.

Wonwoo groaned, unsure of what to do. He certainly did not want to bring Jeonghan in with him to Mingyu’s room; it was the first night! How annoying would it be to Mingyu if he brought in a drunk friend on the first night?

It was then that Wonwoo came up with a plan: the café! Jeonghan would have the key to it, right? Wonwoo set Jeonghan down on some nearby steps and looked through his bag and pockets. No key in sight. It must mean that Jisoo had it…

Wonwoo grumbled to himself. It was 1AM, and he was in the streets with his drunk and heartbroken friend and he had nowhere to take him. Not to mention it was way too cold to say outside for too long.

He received a text from Mingyu just then: “are you coming or… ?”

Realizing he had no choice, he wrote back to Mingyu: “look I’m so sorry to ask this from you on the very first night but jeonghan’s very drunk I have nowhere to take him. Can I let him crash at your place? I promise this will be a one-time occurrence but I honestly have no other choice…”

Yeah sure, no problem,” was Mingyu’s response. And in that moment Wonwoo felt like he loved Mingyu.

Wonwoo walked Jeonghan back to Mingyu’s apartment, but not without getting some barf on his coat as Jeonghan threw up about four times in public trash bins and tree soil.

After finally getting into the building, and struggling to get Jeonghan up the stairs, they finally arrived. When Wonwoo he opened the door, Mingyu helped them by opening the door to the bathroom for them.

Both Wonwoo and Jeonghan were gross. Wonwoo with puke all over his coat and Jeonghan with puke around his mouth and strands of his hair. Wonwoo dragged his drunk friend inside, lamenting his bad luck in front of Mingyu and the terrible impression of a roommate he was giving his benefactor.

Wonwoo let Jeonghan collapse onto the bathroom tiles as Wonwoo washed the barf off his coat and took it off to dry.

"Are you done throwing up?" Wonwoo asked his jaded friend who was swaying on the tiles of the floor.

"Yeah," Jeonghan chirped.

"Then get up and wash your face," Wonwoo told him.

"But I'm too tired," Jeonghan whined.

Wonwoo grabbed his arm and forced him up, and washed Jeonghan’s face and the puke-covered hair himself, continuously muttering under his breath about how horrible his luck was. This entire day was nothing but laughable misfortune. And Mingyu got to witness it all.

"Thank you for looking out for me," Jeonghan slurred as Wonwoo washed Jeonghan’s hands. You're a good friend but you're stupid and now Jesus hates me."

"You mean Jisoo," Wonwoo replied as he wiped Jeonghan’s wet hairs with a towel.

"Both of them hate me," Jeonghan said with a pout.

It was then that Mingyu hesitantly entered the bathroom

“There isn’t enough space for three guys here,” Mingyu told Wonwoo. “I’ll let you and your friend take the room for tonight. I’ll go spend the night with the neighbor downstairs, okay?”

“I’m sorry,” Wonwoo told him, truly apologetic for all the inconvenience he was causing Mingyu.

“It’s alright,” Mingyu said with a soft smile before retreating, leaving Wonwoo with Jeonghan’s useless gay to babysit.

Wonwoo dragged Jeonghan onto Mingyu’s bed, taking off his socks and coat so that he was comfortable enough to sleep.

“Wonwon,” Jeonghan called out.

“What?”

“Will I ever get a boyfriend?”

“Of course you will.”

“I don’t think so. I don’t think boys love me very much,” Jeonghan whined, “I’ve been trying for so long, but no boy seems interested. Am I ugly, Wonwon? Be honest.”

Wonwoo was quite surprised to hear Jeonghan say that. Even though Jeonghan was drunk, Wonwoo could tell that he was relaying serious concerns at the moment, concerns that Wonwoo never imagined his confident friend would have. It was hard to think that Jeonghan was self-conscious of his looks, or that he was hurt by the number of boys he approached that were not interested or that had rejected him flat-out like Jisoo had.

“You’re not ugly, Jeonghan. Actually, you’re one of the prettiest boys I know,” Wonwoo told him, hoping his words would get through to him in his drunken state.

“Thanks Wonwon,” Jeonghan said, snuggling his head against Wonwoo’s shoulders, “you’re the bestest friend ever. I love you.”

“Go to sleep now,” Wonwoo told him.

Jeonghan nodded, and Wonwoo helped him under the covers.

“Sleep beside me, Wonwon,” Jeonghan pulled Wonwoo onto the bed.

“There’s no space.”

“Please,” Jeonghan begged tiredly.

Wonwoo laid his head on the pillow beside Jeonghan, who giggled and put his arms around Wonwoo and hugged him. Wonwoo rolled his eyes. He knew Jeonghan was the clingy and skinshippy type, and so he wasn’t really surprised by this behavior at all. But he was surprised when Jeonghan puckered his lips and placed them over Wonwoo’s roughly.

“I kissed you!” Jeonghan said giggling drunkenly.

Unsettled by that, Wonwoo was ready to push Jeonghan away and scold him for violated personal space, but he heard shuffling in the bathroom.

Wonwoo shot up from the bed and saw Mingyu with his toothbrush.

“Sorry!” Mingyu said, obviously trying to avoid looking at them. “I just… forgot my toothbrush. I’ll leave you two alone now!” Mingyu said as he hurried out of the room.

,” Wonwoo muttered uneasily as he rubbed his forehead. Just when Wonwoo had thought he was finished making mistakes for the day...

 


A/N: i have been trying to write this chapter for four days and this is what i came up with? i hope its decent even though theres not much meanie ^^" I think from now on things will be slightly easier for me. also seriously thank you to all who gave me ideas. im considering them all and you will see that I actually use some many of them in future chapters ;)

if anyone else wants to shoot me with ideas, please do~