Choked Up

The WiFi Thief

Wonwoo contemplated whether or not he should tell Mingyu. The obvious answer was yes, but the more Wonwoo thought about it, the more reluctant he was. Ignorance was bliss after all. Wouldn’t it be better if Mingyu continued living happily without knowing that his precious cutie was ing another guy? Plus, it was none of Wonwoo’s business. Why get involved?

But it bothered him to know that Mingyu was getting played like that, and he found himself angrier with Minghao than he imagined he should be. Wonwoo was so pissed at that , he felt compelled to go down there and knock his teeth out for messing with Mingyu thereby leading to his immanent hurt.

Eventually, Wonwoo decided that Mingyu needed to know.

“I have something to tell you,” Wonwoo told Mingyu as soon as Mingyu walked through the door that day. He didn’t spare a single second and told Mingyu exactly what he saw and heard, seeing the light in Mingyu’s eyes die with each revelation. Wonwoo felt like he was battering a puppy as he told him.

“Are you… are you sure?” Mingyu asked. He looked broken, and his characteristic spiritedness ground to dust.

“I know what I heard,” Wonwoo said. “I’m sorry.”

“I… I’m gonna go confront him about it,” Mingyu said, getting up and leaving the dorm without another word.

Wonwoo felt extremely sorry for him. He could tell that the poor guy was hurt by the news and wished he could do more for him than just break the bad news.

Mingyu didn’t come back for a long time, and Wonwoo was afraid that something had happened to him. When he finally decided to go out and check on him, Wonwoo found Mingyu sitting on the staircase with his laptop in hand.

“What are you doing?” Wonwoo asked.

“Browsing the Internet,” Mingyu replied absentmindedly staring at his screen.

“Why are you out here doing it?” Wonwoo asked. It was cold, and Mingyu wasn’t even wearing a jacket.

“Because I don’t wanna be around Minghao or you,” Mingyu answered.

“Me? Why me?”

“I’m afraid you’d realize I have the café’s password and then you’ll tell your long-haired friend to change it so I stop stealing it.”

“So you had the password this whole time?”

“Why else do you think I spent 90% of my time at Minghao’s and not in my own dorm?” Mingyu replied, still staring at the screen.

“Come inside, Mingyu. I’m not going to tell Jeonghan to change the password,” Wonwoo asserted.

“It’s okay. I want to stay out here,” Mingyu said.

“You’re freezing.”

“Truth is, I’m afraid I’ll cry in front of you,” Mingyu admitted. “So I’d rather just be on my own.”

“I’ll go down to the café for a few hours,” Wonwoo told him, taking his arm and pulling him up.

Mingyu closed his laptop lid and obliged, entering the dorm. Wonwoo left to give Mingyu the space he wanted and went down to the café, where he found Jeonghan standing at the regsiter looking extremely pissed.

“What’s wrong with you?” Wonwoo asked.

“I hate that guy!” Jeonghan muttered under his breath pointing with his eyes to Jisoo who was cleaning tables.

“What did he do?”

“He told the boss I’m dating a guy. I’m so getting fired,” Jeonghan whined.

“How did he know you were dating a guy?”

“That flirtatious idiot Seungcheol came in here with flowers yesterday and…”

“Aw, the tech guy brought you flowers to work? Cute.”

“Cute? More like stupid. Now I’m going to be fired!” he said wearily. “Whatever, I don’t want to think about that right now. What brings you here?”

“Mingyu… wanted alone time,” Wonwoo told Jeonghan carefully. He figured it best not to tell Jeonghan about Minghao.

“Probably ,” Jeonghan guessed.

“No, I don’t think that’s it.”

“I’ll check,” Jeonghan said with a mischievous smirk on his face, swiftly turning to go into the back room with the laptop.

“No! Spying on others is bad!” Wonwoo called out to him, but Jeonghan didn’t listen. Wonwoo grunted. He was very uncomfortable with the idea of Jeonghan looking through Mingyu’s internet history. It was a breach of privacy that Mingyu would certainly not appreciate. Then again, Mingyu was the one stealing wifi in the first place…

 “Do you want to order or not?” came the voice of Jisoo, who took Jeonghan’s place at the register and glared at Wonwoo.

“You’re supposed to smile at customers,” Wonwoo instructed.

“But are you a customer?” Jisoo replied. “You never buy things when you come here.”

“I’ll get a latte,” Wonwoo told Jisoo. He didn’t know why he ordered that. He didn’t even like lattes, but somehow Mingyu was on his mind, and Wonwoo knew that Mingyu loved lattes.

Mingyu was on his mind a lot lately, now that Wonwoo thought about it.

Wonwoo paid and Jisoo started to make the order. Wonwoo sat at one of the tables and waited for Jeonghan to come out from the back room.

When Jeonghan did come out, there was a curious expression on his face.

“What?” Wonwoo asked.

“I think you should go up there and calm the guy down. His Internet history is looking rather dangerous.”

“What did you find?”

“Weren’t you the one who was lecturing me about how spying is wrong just a minute ago?” Jeonghan asked with a judging look in his eye.

“Just tell me!” Wonwoo grunted.

Their conversation was interrupted when Jisoo handed Wonwoo the latte. He then turned to Jeonghan and said: “you aren’t allowed to fraternize with customers like this. It’s in the employee handbook.”

“I’m not flirting with him,” Jeonghan told Jisoo, side-eying him with disapproval. “Honestly, just off and mind your own business.”

“You don’t have to be mean,” Jisoo replied with a scoff.

“Me? Mean? You’re the one being a tattletale and trying to get me fired,” Jeonghan turned to Jisoo. He looked ready to fight the boy any instant.

“I’m only doing my job and reporting to the boss,” Jisoo replied defensively. “If you’re fired, it’s because of your own self, not me.”

Jeonghan rolled his eyes, and turned to Wonwoo, completely ignoring Jisoo. “Anyways, ignore him, where were we? Ah yes, Mingyu’s Internet history...”

Jisoo let out a growl of irritation and left, clearly annoyed by how Jeonghan was ignoring him. Wonwoo found it almost amusing how Jeonghan went from wanting to “cappa Jisoo’s cino” to hating him within the course of a few days…

When Jisoo was out of hearing distance, Jeonghan gritted his teeth: “I hate him.”

“Tell me Mingyu’s Internet history,” Wonwoo pressed, still awfully curious.

“He was on a bunch of dating websites. Seems like he’s really thirsty for some love. He also googled ‘how to stop yourself from crying’ and ‘how many beer cans it would take to get drunk.’ He’s clearly going through some difficult right now.”

Wonwoo sighed, feeling sorry for Mingyu. If there was one thing that this Internet history revealed, it was that Mingyu was hurt a lot. Wonwoo figured it was best he stayed in the coffee shop for a while. Mingyu clearly needed his space.

-

About an hour later, Wonwoo decided to go back up to check on him.

Why do I always get stuck comforting drunk gay boys who fail in their love life? Wonwoo thought as he recalled how he comforted Jeonghan when Jisoo rejected him.

He went up to the room, and when he entered, he was surprised to see Minghao there standing over Mingyu with a scowl on his face. Mingyu was sitting on the bed, four empty beer cans on his bedside table and another open one in his hand.

“What are you doing here?” Wonwoo asked Minghao with a frown.

“I came to bring him the stuff he left in my room,” Minghao answered, “and I see him sitting there looking pathetic.”

“You have no right to insult him right now after what you did,” Wonwoo retorted, in an attempt to defend Mingyu.

“Minghao just get out!” Mingyu yelled before Minghao had the chance to reply.

“Me? The did I do?” Minghao ignored Mingyu’s yells.

“Minghao!” Mingyu yelled, “leave!”

Minghao narrowed his eyes at Wonwoo and asked, “wait… did Mingyu tell you we were dating?”

Mingyu grunted and buried his face in the pillow. Wonwoo didn’t understand what was happening. They weren’t dating?

“I don’t know what he told you, but we were never dating,” Minghao said. “He liked to believe that we were, but I told him from the beginning that we were just having fun. I never cheated on him, but he’s acting like I did, and it’s pathetic. Plus he…”

“Just get out please,” Wonwoo interrupted Minghao sternly, not wanting Mingyu to be embarrassed any more than he already was.

Minghao obliged and left without another word.

Mingyu’s face was still in his pillow when Wonwoo took a seat on the bed beside him.

“I hate this,” Mingyu moaned in his pillow.

“Wanna explain?” Wonwoo asked. “I’d rather hear it from your mouth than his.”

“Basically, I’m a loser,” Mingyu replied, sitting up to explain it, eyes on the floor in front of him. “I lied to you because it was embarrassing to admit that I was so lovesick over a boy who only offered to be my buddy. And I expected Minghao would come around soon, so when I heard he was with another guy I was just… angry and pissed. I ended it with Minghao because I don’t just want to be a buddy. Now Minghao thinks I’m overreacting and maybe I am. But I’m just so done with relationships. This always happens to me: I get attached to boys who are either straight or don’t want me. Why are relationships so complicated, Wonwoo? Why is it so hard to get someone you like to just kiss you?” Mingyu was clearly choked up and slightly tipsy in that moment, and it made him seem more vulnerable than Wonwoo had ever seen from him.

There was something else almost alluring about him. The way his Adam’s apple moved through his neck as he tried to gulp down his emotions. His disheveled pillow hair and how his bangs fell over his tired eyes. And he smelt like a mixture of beer and cologne, which was an oddly enticing scent for Wonwoo. And his broad back was hunched in a way that made him seem so defenseless. And his hands– those magic hands that Wonwoo wished he could touch right now, they were on his lap, his right hand fiddling with the fingers on his left. Mingyu was just glowing altogether.

“I’m so embarrassed. You must find me so desperate and pathetic right now,” Mingyu said with a low groan, putting his elbows on his thighs and rubbing his eyes with the palm of his hands.

“You’re not pathetic. Cheer up,” Wonwoo replied as he nudged Mingyu with his arm.

“I’m sorry you’re in a position where you feel you have to comfort me,” Mingyu said sitting up and facing Wonwoo, holding eye contact with Wonwoo for the first time since the truth about Minghao came out.

There was something tempting about Mingyu’s eyes in the moment. There were deeper than Wonwoo remembered, and he felt like he was sinking in them. And in that moment, Wonwoo realized that he really wanted to kiss Mingyu.

Upon realizing that desire, he quickly ran through the advantages and disadvantages of kissing Mingyu in his head. Eventually, he pushed aside his inhibitions and leaned in closer to close the distance between their lips.

Mingyu’s lips were almost as soft as his hands: that was the first thought that ran through Wonwoo’s head as he softly pecked them.

Mingyu didn’t respond to the kiss at all, probably too confused to do so. It wasn’t a very comfortable position for Wonwoo to truly try and indulge in Mingyu lips, especially since Mingyu was too puzzled to move forward and give Wonwoo easy access. And so Wonwoo pulled away from the brief kiss to see a stunned expression on Mingyu’s face.

Wonwoo adjusted his position, placing his knees on either side of Mingyu’s lap, straddling him. Mingy naturally leaned back in reaction, his arms propping him up and preventing him from falling back onto the bed. Through all this, he only he stared at Wonwoo with wonder.

Wonwoo placed his hands on either side of Mingyu’s neck and kissed him again, eager to get another taste of the soft, beer-flavored lips he couldn’t really enjoy in the former position.

It took a few seconds, but Wonwoo was relieved when Mingyu finally responded to the kiss. He wrapped one arm around the other’s waist and moved his lips against Wonwoo’s with exceptional grace and skill.

It had been a long time since Wonwoo had kissed someone like this. Did it always feel this nice? Wonwoo couldn’t quite remember.

After a minute or so of inseparable lips and tangled limbs, they finally parted, both breathless and shy. Stuttering awkwardly and avoiding one another’s eyes, they managed to disentangle their bodies. Neither really knew what to say to the other after the intimate moment that they shared, and so neither spoke another word that night. They just went to bed with disheveled hair, flushed pink cheeks, numb lips and wildly beating hearts.

 


A/N: I’m sorry it took so long to update but here you go. I hope it doesn’t … :(