Password

The WiFi Thief

Customers were starting to complain that the wifi at the café was becoming slow.

Wonwoo noticed it too, because his downloads no longer finished in a few minutes like usual. Even YouTube videos were starting to take forever to buffer, and that was strange considering their platinum Internet subscription.

The slowness of the Internet was starting to affect business in the café. Students who used to come there to work stopped coming because the Internet was crappy. Wonwoo didn’t mind the reducing number of customers (it meant less people to smile at), but his stingy boss certainly did. Wonwoo would have just ignored the problem and reveled in the decreasing workload that this slow internet had offered him, but he was an honest guy who felt morally obligated to let his boss know (because lazy- Jeonghan certainly wouldn’t).

“Yeah, the Internet is really slow,” Wonwoo called his boss when he had the chance, “and so some frequent customers have stopped coming.”

“Fix it then,” his boss replied.

“I don’t know how.”

“Why do I hire idiots?” boss muttered, and Wonwoo wanted to respond with ‘why do I work under ?’ but stayed in his lane.

And thus, stingy boss had to hire a technician to come and resolve the problem, but not without muttering a thousand expletives under his breath because had to spend extra money.

-

“The bandwidth is used up,” the attractive technician told Wonwoo after inspecting their router. Wonwoo glanced at the nameplate: Seungcheol. If Jeonghan were here, he would have totally jumped at the opportunity to speak to this Seungcheol fellow, but Jeonghan went to bathroom about 20 minutes ago and still hasn’t come out (it happened often; Wonwoo didn’t ask).

“The what?” Wonwoo was confused. He was so unfamiliar with this technical lingo, and wished Mister Seungcheol would just get to the point.

“Bandwidth is the transmission capacity of your router,” Mister Seungcheol replied.

“Huh?”

Seungcheol rolled his eyes, and dumbed it down for him: “Bandwidth is basically the amount of your wifi. When I a lot of devices are using your connection, that takes up bandwidth, and if that bandwidth is used up, it slows down your connection.”

“So what’s the solution?” That was all Wonwoo wanted to know.

“Well, you could upgrade your subscription for greater bandwidth…”

“Does that require paying money?”

“Of course…”

“Yeah, that’s not an option,” Wonwoo told the technician. Wonwoo didn’t even have to ask his stingy boss; he already knew the answer.

“The only other solution is to disconnect devices from your wifi connection. Here let me show you.” Seungcheol opened a page on the computer in the backroom. A table with a bunch of technical words appeared.

“These are the devices using your bandwidth,” Seungcheol told him and pointed at the rows of the table. “This one Macbook is using a lot of bandwidth in particular.”

Wonwoo looked at the list:

“So, as you can see, this Mingyu guy seems to be taking up a lot of the bandwidth with his Macbook, iPad and iPhone,” the technician said.

“I don’t know anyone named Mingyu,” Wonwoo said. “He’s probably someone who came once, got the password, and is now leeching off the wifi.”

“Then change the password,” Seungcheol shrugged.

“How?”

Just then, Jeonghan appeared and was obviously impressed by the hunk of a technician who was fixing their wifi.

“Wonwoo, I’ll take over from here,” Jeonghan told him with his mischievous sweet smile.

“Are you done peeing?” Wonwoo teased, earning a grave look from Jeonghan.

“Wonwoo, there are a few customers coming. Please serve them, and I’ll help fix the wifi with this fine young gentleman right here,” Jeonghan said.

Wonwoo cringed at Jeonghan’s obvious attempts at flirting. He figured he didn’t want to be there as Jeonghan made a fool of himself in front of this guy, and so decided to retreat.

“Just make sure you learn how to change the password in case we need to change it multiple times,” Wonwoo told Jeonghan. “Some named Minju or whatever has been stealing the bandwidth or whatever, so we’ll probably need to change it often.”

“I got this,” Jeonghan said, inching towards Seungcheol with that flirtatious grin on his face as Seungcheol worked on the computer and began teaching Jeonghan how to change the password.

Wonwoo went to tend to the customers, not forgetting to force his face to smile.

-

The technician left a few minutes later, and Jeonghan emerged from the back room with a pout on his face. It looked like his flirting did not work.

“He doesn’t swing that way?” Wonwoo asked, amused at the apparent disappointment on Jeonghan’s face.

“I don’t think so. Either that, or he’s an idiot who doesn’t understand that I’m flirting with him,” Jeonghan muttered as he leaned against the counter casually and took out his phone. “Oh, and the new password is ‘can I have your number,’ no spaces, all lowercase.”

Wonwoo cringed as he imagined how that password came to be: “What do you want the new password to be?’” Seungcheol had asked, and Jeonghan, with fluttering eyes and an obnoxiously sweet smile, replied with “what about, ‘can I have your number.’”

Wonwoo shuddered: “Wow, you were that obvious? I’m glad I wasn’t around to watch that. Would have died of second-hand-embarassment.”

“Well you should have watched it. Maybe you can take a few notes. You can’t stay single forever you know; you have to flirt a little,” Jeonghan told him.

“I don’t mind staying single.”

“I’m going to get you a girlfriend. Just wait and see.”

“Find yourself a boyfriend that lasts more than two weeks before you find me a girlfriend,” Wonwoo huffed.

“Girlfriends are easier to come by than boyfriends. If I were straight, I would have had no problem finding a lover. Count yourself lucky you’re attracted to girls in such a heteronormative society,” Jeonghan replied pursing his lips the way he does when he isn’t satisfied with something.

“Excuse me,” an elderly woman who had just bought coffee said to them, and Wonwoo turned to her with a forced smile. “What’s the password for the wifi?” she aked.

“It’s…” Wonwoo hesitated, feeling slightly embarrassed to answer: “it’s ‘can I have your number.’ All small case, no spaces.”

“I’m married,” she told him with a frown.

Jeonghan burst out laughing, and Wonwoo felt so embarrassed, “uh, I did not mean it like that ma’am. That is the password.” The woman narrowed her eyes at him and frowned. She left, side-eying him with disapproval.

“I hate you,” Wonwoo turned to Jeonghan, who was still laughing hysterically.

“Why? You two would have been so adorable together!” Jeonghan joked.

“Go change the password to ShiningDiamond3 or something,” Wonwoo told him, “before another old lady thinks I’m flirting with her.”

“I don’t wanna,” Jeonghan chirped teasingly.

“Jeonghan!”

“Fine, fine, I’ll go change it now,” Jeonghan said, making his way to the back room laughing.

As Jeonghan disappeared, another customer entered the coffee shop and Wonwoo put on his best smile.

This customer was a handsome boy, and Wonwoo felt sorry that Jeonghan just missed him. Oh well, Wonwoo said as he prepared to serve him.

The cute boy came in with a laptop, put it on a table and went to the register to order.

“Welcome to Shining Diamond café! May I take your order?” Wonwoo said robotically with a fake smile.

“Latte, please,” said the handsome stranger. Even a straightie like Wonwoo could not deny that this customer was strikingly handsome.

“Low fat, full fat, or skimmed?” Wonwoo asked.

“Doesn’t matter.”

“I’ll just give you full fat then.”

“Sounds good.”

“That would be 11000 won,” Wonwoo said as the cute boy took out his wallet. “Name please?” Wonwoo asked when the stranger took out the money and Wonwoo put it in the register.

“Uh, just write G-Dragon.”

“Okay, G-Dragon,” Wonwoo said as he wrote that name on the cup with a permanent marker. He hated when customers gave fake names; it just made him look ridiculous when he had to call them out to pick up their order. But whatever. At least it wasn’t ‘pee niss.’

“Oh, and can I also have the WiFi password?” the customer asked.

“Uh, another employee is back there changing the password. Just wait until he finishes, and I’ll give you the new password.”

“Sure,” G-Dragon said, going back to his chair as Wonwoo started making the latte.

When he was done he went to the back to check up on Jeonghan, who seemed to be struggling.

“Are you done changing the password?” Wonwoo asked.

“I may have forgotten how to do it,” Jeonghan answered as he clicked through a bunch of pages.

“Jeonghan!” Wonwoo groaned.

“What? I wasn’t exactly paying attention when the hunky technician was explaining how to do it…”

“Ugh, your gay is so useless!” Wonwoo muttered angrily, going towards G-Dragon’s table with the latte in his hand.

“Here you go,” Wonwoo told the customer, placing the latte on his table.

“Thanks,” he said. “Is the wifi ready?”

“It may be a while before our employee figures out how to change it. I’ll just give you the current one until then,” Wonwoo said.

“Great.”

Wonwoo took a deep breath, and decided to just spell it out for the customer in order to prevent him from thinking that he was flirting. “It’s all lower case. C – A – N – I – H – A – V – E – Y – O – U – R – N – U – M – B – E – R.” Wonwoo prayed dearly that the stranger did not pay attention to what the letters actually spelled, but judging by the smirk that followed, Wonwoo knew that his prayers were not fulfilled. , Wonwoo wanted to just disappear. Will this happen with every customer that asks him for the wifi password?

The stranger looked at Wonwoo with an amused grin on his face. “Interesting way to ask for someone’s number. Changing the wifi password of the coffee shop you work at? That’s a new one!”

“Sir, please don’t misunderstand; I didn’t mean to …” Just then another customer entered, and Wonwoo had to go and take his order.

“Just go deal with your customer,” G-Dragon laughed, shaking his head.

Although Wonwoo would have loved to set things straight and explain that he really wasn’t trying to get his number, he knew he couldn’t afford to keep a customer waiting, so he just retreated from G-Dragon’s table feeling embarrassed and cursing at Jeonghan under his breath.

He dealt with the new customer, who, thankfully, did not ask for the wifi password. Wonwoo could not have dealt with the humiliation of telling them the password.

Wonwoo went to check on Jeonghan after finishing the order, who was still clicking away on the computer.

“Did you manage to change it?”

“Nope.”

“Well, .”

“Just call the cute technician again; he’ll help us out.”

“You think our penny-pinching boss would pay for another visit from the technician? If he does it’s coming out of your paycheck.”

“Hell no,” Jeonghan insisted.

“Well then figure out how to change it.”

“I can’t; I tried.”

“How are you going to explain that to the boss?”

“Easy. I’ll just say that I was too busy looking at the tech guy’s beautiful biceps to pay attention to what he was teaching me,” Jeonghan piped in that obnoxiously peppy tone of his.

Wonwoo rolled his eyes, and left the backroom, Jeonghan following him out.

“Please don’t tell the boss,” Jeonghan begged.

“I won’t, as long as you’ll be the one to tell the customers the wifi password when they ask. I’m not embarrassing myself again because you had to flirt with that stupid tech guy,” Wonwoo muttered.

“Fine,” Jeonghan agreed.

“And if boss asks, I’m blaming you,” Wonwoo told him with a frown.

Just then Wonwoo heard a voice call him from the counter. When Wonwoo turned to see who it was, he exhaled and closed his eyes before going over to address that G-Dragon customers’ concern, whatever it was.

“I’m leaving now,” the customer said with the latte in his hand. “I just wanted to give you this.” He handed him a piece of paper. “I’ll be looking forward to a message from you soon.” With that, the customer winked at Wonwoo and turned to leave the coffee shop.

Stunned, Wonwoo glanced at the piece of paper in his hand. It contained several digits which were labelled “G-Dragon’s Phone Number.”

 


A/N: That was super fun to write haha :)

Also, I had to research all the technical things to do with wifi connectivity and all, and some of the stuff might be inaccurate but whatever lol