Lament

The WiFi Thief

Wonwoo’s phone rang like seven times and he received at least 50 text messages, but Wonwoo ignored them all. Eventually he turned off his phone. He did not want to deal with anything or anyone. He just wanted to sit in his bed, drink beer and think about how much he hated his life. The beer numbed the humiliation just a little bit, but it was still painful. But hey, at least he didn’t want to die anymore.

How was he going to live now? He had no job, and so he had no income to cover his rent. He was going to have to find another job, but he knew finding a job around the campus was nearly impossible. He could find one in the downtown, but that meant he would have to spend money on transportation there every day, which meant he wouldn’t have enough for rent.

He might as well die.

He figured he could take out a loan or something to help cover rent expenses, but the thought of being in debt unsettled him, especially since working at a stupid coffee shop would have prevented it altogether.

-

He checked his phone a few hours later, when he was well enough to face the world. He found many missed called from Jeonghan, from Soonyoung, from Seokmin and his boss. When he opened his messages, he realized why they were all calling him.

He was the only one who knew the new wifi password.

Wonwoo laughed sadistically when he realized that. He tried to imagine how much trouble it caused for his boss and felt satisfied. Not having access to the wifi probably ruined business in the café for that day, and he was happy to have caused his detestable boss this inconvenience.

He decided to stall on telling them the password for a while longer. He didn’t work there anymore; he wasn’t morally obligated to do for the café anymore.

Besides his boss, Jeonghan, Soonyoung and Seokmin, Mingyu had also left him messages. Wonwoo opened the chat.

“I feel sooooo bad. Seriously, I’m sorry.”

Wonwoo didn’t exactly blame Mingyu for this, but he did feel like it was at least partly on Mingyu’s shoulders. If Mingyu had just not stolen their wifi, then none of this would have ever happened. So yeah, Mingyu was to blame, but Wonwoo’s hatred was directed at his boss and not at Mingyu.

Wonwoo didn’t reply to Mingyu either. Honestly, he just wanted to cut contact with that guy forever and not see him again. He associated Mingyu’s face with utter humiliation now, and so it would be best if they never saw or spoke to each other again.

A few minutes later, someone rang the doorbell. Wonwoo was in no mood to see anyone at all, but he went to see who it was through the eyehole anyways. It was Jeonghan.

Wonwoo sighed and opened the door for him.

Jeonghan immediately put his arms around Wonwoo and hugged him. “What’s all this for?” Wonwoo asked as Jeonghan squeezed him and Wonwoo struggled to close the door with Jeonghan wrapped around him.

“Are you okay?” Jeonghan asked him as he untangled himself from Wonwoo.

“I’m alright. Aren’t you supposed to be at work?” Wonwoo asked. “Or did boss ask you to find me because of the password?”

Jeonghan nodded.

“It’s password321, but with only one s,” Wonwoo told him. “Anything else?”

“You’ve been drinking, right?” Jeonghan asked glancing at the empty beer cans and pouting a little. “You don’t drink unless you’re sad.”

“Well, I just lost my income, of course I’m sad,” Wonwoo shrugged.

“I tried talking to the boss. I told him that Mingyu was the one that was stealing the wifi and that I don’t think the café would run without you. He might reconsider…”

“I don’t ing want him to,” Wonwoo muttered. “I won’t set foot in that place ever again, and I don’t want to see that ugly man’s face ever in my life.”

Jeonghan nodded in understanding. “What are you gonna do about rent?”

“I don’t know,” Wonwoo shrugged as he laid on his bed and groaned, “probably take out a loan and get a job in the city.”

“Thanks for lying for me, by the way. God knows I’d be fired if it weren’t for you,” Jeonghan said.

“You would have done the same for me. And it’s not like I did you a favor or anything. Now you have to deal that prick.”

“True,” Jeonghan groaned, “and now I don’t have a dependable companion that sticks up for me anymore. Who knows what loser will replace you?”

“Maybe that loser is gay and cute,” Wonwoo shrugged. “You’d like that.”

“Maybe,” Jeonghan said, “but still. No one can replace you.”

“No need to get sentimental on me now,” Wonwoo said pushing him playfully.

“Anyways, I probably should get back to work now,” Jeonghan said regretfully.

Wonwoo nodded.

“Oh and Mingyu told me to tell you to text him back,” Jeonghan added quickly as he headed towards the door.

Wonwoo frowned. “Not going to happen.”

“Suit yourself,” Jeonghan shrugged as he slipped out.

-

That night, he received yet another text from Mingyu.

I talked to Jeonghan; he told me about your rent problem. Because I feel partly responsible for what happened, I want to offer you something: you can move into my flat for the rest of the semester, free of charge. I don’t have an extra bed but I do have a sleeping bag and some floor space. So… yeah. Let me know.

 


A/N: to the people who read my other stories– what does this remind you of? so much for creativity ^^"

Anyways, sorry for the short and un-funny chapter! I'll update very soon to make up for it~