Tracking the Thief

The WiFi Thief

The next day, Wonwoo scolded Jeonghan for giving G-Dragon his phone number without asking. Wonwoo blamed Jeonghan for his embarrassment last night.

Wonwoo felt nauseous whenever he remembered the text exchange and all the of the ridiculous mistakes he made.

Jeonghan insisted on knowing what happened, but Wonwoo refused to tell him. He would not reveal his shame to someone like Jeonghan, who would never let him forget it.

When there were no customers, Wonwoo decided to stream Red Velvet’s new music video, when he noticed that the Internet was visibly slow, again.

Wonwoo groaned and went to the backroom to see if that Minkyu person or whatever was still leeching off their internet. He carefully went through the steps that Seungcheol had taken him through, and he got to the desired page.

There he was again. Mingyu and his damned Apple products stealing 50% of their bandwidth.

Wonwoo changed the password again. This time, no “96.” Just “shiningwifi.” Maybe that would spare him another embarrassing episode of mistakenly saying “69” instead.

When Wonwoo was done changing it, he went to Jeonghan and warned him against the wifi thief named Mingyu.

“Seriously, if anyone tells you their name is Mingyu, tell them they’re banned from using the wifi.”

“No one tells us their real names anyways. This Mingyu person is probably one of those ‘Pee Niss’ twerps,” Jeonghan said, and Wonwoo figured he was probably right, and realized that he would have to change the password every single day if that was going to stop this Mingyu from stealing it.

-

Wonwoo told his boss about the problem and about the wifi thief that was stealing their bandwidth.

Well then, find him!” his boss replied, clearly pissed by this whole situation.

“It’s not that easy, sir…” Wonwoo said. “We know the thief’s name, but whenever he comes to order, he goes by a different name.”

You deal with it. And if you don’t catch this thief within the next week, I’m firing you.”

“Wait… what? That’s not fair!”

I’m not dealing with this stupid problem anymore, and I sure as hell am not paying for another technician to come fix something that your negligence caused.”

“But what am I supposed to do?” Wonwoo asked. “I can’t ask the customers for their IDs or anything!”

I don’t have time for this anymore. If you don’t catch the thief by next week, I’m firing you.” his boss said and closed in his face.

“ you,” Wonwoo muttered under his breath, wanting to throw his phone on the floor with full force out of frustration. you, you, you.

Wonwoo was angry; he didn’t deserve this ultimatum. Jeonghan may deserve it, but not him. He was the one who was doing all the goddamn work for crying out loud. He was the one who was trying to fix this problem. He was the responsible one who was telling his boss about the problems in the cafe unlike his Jeonghan and the two boys who worked the morning shift. He was the ing best employee and his ing boss had the audacity to threaten to fire him? The coffee shop would burn to the ground if it weren’t for him.

Let him fire me, Wonwoo thought. Better yet, I’ll just quit. See how he fares without me. ing prick.

Wonwoo was generally a tame person, but this just made him so angry. And although he thought a lot about quitting, he knew that was out of the question. He had rent to pay; he needed this job if he was going to stay in college. And he could not afford to get a job downtown because commuting was expensive.

Wonwoo had to do as his boss was asking. He needed this stupid job, even if the boss was a total douche who didn’t deserve him.

-

“Ask for the ID of everyone who asks for the password. If you find a Mingyu, punch him in the face before you ban him from the cafe,” Wonwoo told Jeonghan. “Our of a boss is threatening to fire me."

“What?”

“ him,” Wonwoo muttered.

Jeonghan bit his lower lip, looking concerned and anxious himself. “We’ll catch him, Wonwoo,” Jeonghan reassured him calmly, “And I’ll text the boys who work the morning shift and tell them the same thing. And even if we don’t find a Mingyu, I won’t let the boss fire you, okay? I’ll take responsibility for it. And if anyone deserves to be fired, it’s me to be honest. So please don’t worry, alright?”

Jeonghan was useless most of the time, but when it came to being supportive and calming Wonwoo down, he was really the best.

But still, Wonwoo just felt anxious as he stood at the register. He could not even bring himself to smile the at the customers. He was too concerned about keeping his job. If he lost the job, he won’t be able to pay rent, and so he won’t be able to attend college, which meant he won’t be able to do a lot of things…

“That’s it, I’m going to find this Mingyu person myself,” Wonwoo said, clenching his fists.

“How?” Jeonghan asked.

“He must live in one of the apartments around here, right? I’ll just knock on doors. Please take care of everything until I’m back.”

“Okay,” Jeonghan said as Wonwoo rushed out.

Wonwoo decided to go to the story right above the café first. He knocked on the door, ready to pounce on whoever it was, and hoping that it really was Mingyu.

It wasn’t. It was some baby-faced Chinese guy wearing a snapback (who Wonwoo thought was trying way too hard to look cool).

He went to the second story above the café and saw that the wifi was still connected. He knocked on the door, and felt himself gasp a little when he saw G-Dragon open the door.

. So much for trying to avoid him.

Wonwoo suddenly forgot the reason he was there. He was only concerned with saving face and avoiding the imminent embarrassment that would makes itself clear in his expression.

“Oh! Didn’t think I would see you so soon,” G-Dragon said with a sly smile, but he still surprised to see Wonwoo there.

“Umm… you live here?” Wonwoo asked awkwardly as he recalled yesterday night’s chaotic conversation.

“Yes, I do. Did you stalk me?” the guy asked, raising an eyebrow and crossing his arms.

Of course he’d think that Wonwoo was stalking him. After accidentally asking for his number, saying ‘69’ in front of him, texting him about ‘nudes,’ and then telling him he wanted ‘the D,’ and now appearing uninvited at his door, of course G-Dragon would be suspicious.

Why does this always happen with this stupid guy? Wonwoo wished he could just run away, but no. There he was, forced to face him and explain to him how he ended up at his home.

“I… didn’t stalk you,” Wonwoo claimed quickly. “I was looking for someone.”

“Well, you found him. Why don’t you come in?” G-Dragon offered, opening the door wider for him to come in.

“Uh, no thank you, I’ll just…” Wonwoo stopped midway through his words when he saw a Macbook and an iPad on the table inside G-Dragon’s home.

It was only then when Wonwoo began to put everything together: how G-Dragon only ever bought coffee when they had a change of password, how he asked for the password every time he came, the Apple products, the fact he went by his pseudonym G-Dragon and not his real name, the fact he lived only two stories above Shining Diamond Café…

“Is your name Mingyu?” Wonwoo asked, staring daggers into G-Dragon with an accusing look in his eyes.

“Damn boy, I didn’t realize you were that much of a stalker,” the guy laughed, as if it were funny, as if Wonwoo did not want to punch the guy’s teeth out for being the reason his boss threatened to make him lose his job.

“This has nothing to do with stalking. You’re the one who has been using our wifi!”

“Oh …” Mingyu said, biting his lower lip. “How did you find out?”

“You can see the names of the devices that are connected to the wifi, and I see you and your stupid Apple products all the time!”

“Well, this this is embarrassing,” Mingyu laughed, scratching the back of his neck, “caught red-handed as the wifi thief by a guy I really like.”

“Well, any chance you had with me is now gone…”

“Oh, so I did have a chance with you?” Mingyu said with a small smirk.

Wonoo groaned internally. Why did he say it like that? Why did he literally imply that Mingyu had a chance with him? Another ing slip-up. Another one. The fifth or sixth one in front of this Mingyu slash G-Dragon slash wifi thief slash hottie.

“You know what, I’m not going to have this conversation with you; I have to go back to work,” Wonwoo said, turning his back and preparing to walk away.

“I know you’re just playing hard-to-get,” Mingyu called out to him. “And I’m loving the challenge.”

Wonwoo turned, a small frown on his face. He really just wanted set it straight with him once and for all: “I’m not playing hard-to-get. I’m just a simple straightie who accidentally said some stupid to you that made you think I’m interested, and I’m not. Right now I’m only interested in making sure you don’t ever steal wifi from us again.”

Mingyu only nodded, but Wonwoo wasn’t sure that Mingyu had absorbed those words or if he considered them as part of Wonwoo’s “hard-to-get” act.

Wonwoo didn’t say another word. He turned around and made his way back down to the cafe, feeling Mingyu’s eyes on his back.

 


A/N: wow thank you all so for 100+ subs!
anyways im almost done with the semester so I promise to update more regularly ^^