Her Bodyguard

Her Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tiffany’s arm gave her a lot of grief the next morning. Unable to tolerate the pain, she popped the painkillers prescribed by the doctor along with breakfast brought to her room by Soomin. After breakfast, Tiffany visited Taeyeon’s room but her bodyguard was still asleep so Tiffany approached her father instead.

Answers. With her energy restored after a good night’s sleep (surprisingly uninterrupted by nightmares) and a good breakfast, Tiffany wanted answers. Answers to all the questions that she had burned to ask since last night but was unable to because of sheer fatigue.

Her father was in his study as usual. Eyes looking out at the world through reading glasses, grey hair combed neatly even though there wasn’t anybody to meet. Sitting behind the desk, he was dressed for work as though he were in the office instead of his own home—a little trait that Tiffany liked to with.

“Are you feeling better this morning?” he asked when she entered and sat on the leather chair across the table from him. “Have you had your breakfast?”

“My arm was very painful when I woke up, but I ate breakfast and took painkillers, so it’s okay now.”

“Good. I hired a nurse to come on call to change your dressing and also to help to check on Taeyeon. She’ll be here in the late afternoon.”

“Sounds good. But I’m here for something else.”

Her father clasped his hands together. “For Taeyeon?”

Tiffany nodded. “I want to know why. I want answers. Real answers, Daddy.”

Her father sighed. “I’m really sorry. You have no idea how much my heart ached when I got you back after the kidnap. Now I feel even worse after what happened last night.”

Tiffany shook her head. “You don’t look sorry at all, Daddy. You’re all business as usual this morning. Back to your dollars and cents.”

“I’m trying to make sure this doesn’t happen again, my dear. I’m doing my best to think of a way.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Tiffany, the last thing I want for you to be is worried and afraid. That’s why I convinced Taeyeon to protect you in a covert operation. She was very hard to persuade—my offer to pay her three times more didn’t even work. But I begged her to help me and she finally agreed to continue protecting you—albeit from afar.”

“Why are they so bent on harming us? They wanted to kill us both last night, right?”

“Tomorrow is when I stand trial to testify. I didn’t think they would come after you anymore since the evidence had already been submitted and arrests had been made. And to tell you the truth, last night was more about them trying to silence me. You were not the primary target.”

“Is that why you doubled the security in our home?”

“Yes, you’re right.”

“But I’m the last to know all this. I feel like a fool right now.”

Her father heaved a deep sigh. “My dear, this sort of thing is best kept secret. I didn’t tell you about Taeyeon because it would compromise her too. It was best that you didn’t know so that everything will look as it was. Nobody knew that Taeyeon was still protecting you. Nobody but the two of us. That was the best way.”

“What happens after you testify tomorrow?”

“Once I’ve testified, there’s nothing they can do. Last night was their last ditch effort to prevent me from appearing in court tomorrow. Now, with the alarm raised, my security has tripled with the police on high alert. So for today, I hope you will stay home to rest, along with Taeyeon.”

“I’ve called in to tell Songji to take over my duties. I’m not going to work for the rest of this week.”

“Good, good. Please stay home to recuperate. This first week will be most painful for Taeyeon too. She will feel better with your company.”

“Naturally. I asked Taeyeon to stay with us because I want to keep her company.”

“Is there something going on between you and Taeyeon?”

Tiffany turned her nose away. “Why should I tell you? You can keep your secrets and I’ll keep mine.”

Her father chuckled. “Alright, alright. As you wish. Just, try to stay home till I have testified tomorrow. They might just try one last time before I get to court tomorrow, even though I don’t think they have anymore ammunition left.”

Tiffany nodded. “I’ll stay home with Taeyeon. But you’ll be alright, won’t you? I don’t want to lose you just because of this stupid honourable moral thing you’re doing.”

“It’s not stupid, my dear. And I’m not trying to be honourable. But just think of the hundreds of people working with the tainted fabrics. They will fall ill with diseases caused by the tainted fabrics, and what will happen to their families? Innocent children will lose their mothers or fathers. Do you think I could live with a peace of mind, knowing that I did nothing to help them?”

Tiffany was silent for a long time. Then, she finally raised her eyes to meet her father’s. “Is it because of Mummy?”

Her father sighed again. “Partly. Yes. You lost your mother at a tender age when you needed her most. And I regret that I was so insufficient in filling up the void left behind by her. So when I think of those families—dependent on the income earned by the people we hire to process our fabrics—I cannot bring myself to ignore it.”

“Daddy, I don’t think you were insufficient for me at all.”

“I wasn’t?”

Tiffany shook her head, smiling through tears that had welled up without her knowing. “I know you gave me extra love to make up for Mummy. I know you tried very hard to be both my mum and dad. So you don’t have to feel bad about it.”

“My darling girl . . .”

Tiffany stood up with her father and they walked around the desk between them to embrace each other. Tears flowed down her cheeks and when they finally parted, she saw that her father was tearing too.

“I’m sorry, Daddy. I’m sorry for being rude to you.”

“It’s alright, my dear. You’re still my favourite girl.”

“What about Michelle and Leo?”

Her father laughed. “Don’t tell them you’re my favourite baby girl.”

Tiffany grinned. “I won’t.”

¤¤¤

 Tiffany flew in to a rage when she saw Taeyeon, freshly showered and all, in the dining room. “Why are you out of your room? They’re supposed to send breakfast to you in bed!”

Taeyeon looked up, fork and scrambled egg in mid-air. “Walking around is good for me,” she said and proceeded to stuff the egg into .

“Are you really alright? Are you in pain? And why do you have a towel around your shoulders?”

“I took painkillers for the pain. The towel is to hide the fact that I’m not wearing a bra.”

“Oh.” Tiffany took the seat next to Taeyeon. “I’m staying in today. Daddy said it’s best we don’t go out today, so I was thinking we could watch a movie and do some online shopping.”

“What about me?”

“What about you.”

“Why don’t you ask me what I wanna do?”

“Do you hate movies?”

“No.”

“Do you hate online shopping?”

“No.”

“So we’re good.”

Suddenly, Taeyeon closed her eyes and pressed her lips together.

“Oh . Are you in pain?” Tiffany asked, alarmed. “What’s wrong?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “Nothing. Just trying not to laugh.”

“Why?” Tiffany looked around the table. “What’s funny?”

“You.”

“Me? Why am I funny?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter