First Day

Her Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Daddy, this new bodyguard has no idea what she’s doing.”

“What’s the problem, my dear?”

“Ms. Kim took my passport from the safe and she refuses to return it to me.”

Mr. Hwang turned to Taeyeon and asked, “Would you care to explain?”

Without the slightest hesitation, Taeyeon replied, “If you trust me in my professional capacity as your daughter’s bodyguard, there will be no explanation required on my part. Everything I do, whether your daughter is happy about it or not, is for her safety. However, to make things easier on the first day of our contract, I will explain. The issue lies in Tiffany refusing to call me by my name. I have explained that using our names instead of the formal address will make it less obvious that I am her bodyguard. However, Tiffany is unwilling to cooperate and since this compromises her safety, I cannot allow her to go to Singapore, where the risks are higher in a foreign country.”

“I see.” Mr. Hwang looked from one woman to the other, his brows furrowed in thought.

But Tiffany was having none of this. “Daddy, there’s nothing else to say. This bodyguard is employed by you but here she is, telling us what to do.”

“But she makes a valid point.”

Tiffany’s jaw dropped. “What?”

“My dear girl, I instructed Ms. Kim to protect you. She’s only doing her job. If you don’t cooperate with her, it is your own safety you are putting at risk.”

“Daddy, I don’t need a high school girl following me around to protect me. She looks so weak and pale and—”

“Don’t judge people simply by their appearances, my dear. Appearances may tell you some things about a person, but Ms. Kim is like an iceberg. What you see of her now is only the tip. Get to know her better and you will find that you can trust her to keep you safe.”

“I can’t believe this, Daddy. You’re siding with her instead of me?”

“I am not siding with Ms. Kim. As your father, I have no reason to side with someone that is making my daughter unhappy.” With a heavy sigh, Mr. Hwang rose from his chair and walked around his work desk to Tiffany. “My dear girl,” he said, putting his hand on her head, “I have always doted on you. I have always given you what you ask for because I love you. But just for this once, I ask you, as your father, to trust me and the bodyguard I trust.”

“Daddy . . .” Tiffany looked as though she has seen a ghost. Or a fairy from a fairy tale. “I . . .”

“I know you’re a good girl. You’ll listen to me this once, won’t you?”

“But the bodyguard is—”

“She’s here to keep you safe. She’s not here to antagonise you on purpose. Please understand that.”

Tiffany bit her lip, an act that Taeyeon noticed. From her point of view, it was obvious that the spoilt princess was struggling with herself about this. So although it did not please her to apologise, she stepped forward, looked Tiffany in the eye and said, “Perhaps I had come on too strong at the beginning. As Mr. Hwang said, I am only here to make sure nothing harmful happens to you. I apologise if I was too forceful in getting the message across. But please understand that I cannot, and will not, compromise when it comes to your safety. If I do, I will not be doing my job well.”

Tiffany’s hard gaze had begun to soften when she apologised but hardened again when she added the last bit. This spoilt princess was certainly going to be difficult. But it was nothing she couldn’t handle.

“Fine. I’ll call you Taeyeon if it’s absolutely necessary. Now, give me my passport,” Tiffany demanded as she stuck her palm out.

“Thank you for your cooperation, Tiffany.” Taeyeon took the woman’s passport from her back pocket and placed it on the outstretched hand.

Tiffany’s fingers closed over the passport and she held it to her chest as though it was her most prized possession. “I’m going back to my room. Don’t follow me.”

Taeyeon stood still as the spoilt princess swept past her and left the study room. Then, she turned to Mr. Hwang and smiled. “I will need the card by Friday, Mr. Hwang,” she said.

He nodded, suddenly looking ten years older. “Thank you, Ms. Kim.”

She nodded in return. “I’ll take my leave now, Mr. Hwang.” She walked to the door and was about to cl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter