Firsts, Lasts

Her Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They were silent as they walked to the elevator and silent as they rode the elevator up to the ninth floor. They didn’t talk as Taeyeon pressed the code to unlock the door and their mouths were still shut when Taeyeon closed the door behind them. Since they weren’t talking to each other, Tiffany scanned the apartment, taking in the layout.

It was a simple place. Simple, meaning nothing too complicated like floral patterns or loud, attention-grabbing designs. From the little shoe storage area near the door to the common area of living and dining space, traces of life were found amidst the general order of things.

Footwear, mostly sneakers, were left beside the ocean blue mat, along with some socks. Just beyond the sliding doors separating the shoe zone from the rest of the apartment was a water dish. Weird. In the living space was a well-used couch with well-hugged cushions sitting on a furry creamy-white carpet. This setup faced a widescreen television and what looked like an expensive sound system.

Just beside this was a table for four. It was made of fair wood, which matched the carpet and television console unit quite nicely. And continuing the earthly colour theme, the kitchen shelves and cabinets were creamy-white too.

A half-eaten packet of chips was left lying on a half-read magazine on the coffee table and there was a can of carrot juice on the coaster beside them. Taeyeon hurried ahead of her, picked the half-consumed chips and can up, and scurried into the kitchen area to dispose of them.

“Make yourself comfortable,” said Taeyeon, breaking their silence for the first time since leaving Dr Kim’s office.

Tiffany pushed a couple of cushions to a corner and made space on the couch to sit. She liked the way Taeyeon’s apartment felt and smelt. It had a homely touch and a Taeyeon-ish smell. Though small as it was, Tiffany felt right at home within moments and turned to lie horizontally across the couch, propping her legs up on the arm rest.

“What are you doing?” Taeyeon asked when she finally returned to the living space.

“Making myself comfortable.”

Taeyeon’s eyes twinkled with amusement but she didn’t smile. “You took up all the space on the couch.”

“Come here,” said Tiffany, patting the spot above her head.

“My won’t fit in that tiny space.”

“Just come.”

Taeyeon shrugged. “If you say so.” Her ex-bodyguard walked to where she patted and Tiffany panicked when she found a descending upon her face.

“Stop!” she shrieked, putting her hands against the to stop it from crushing her face.

“You told me to sit here.”

“You’re doing it on purpose,” Tiffany huffed. “I meant here,” she said, lifting her head and pointing under it.

“Well, you should have said so.” Taeyeon eased under Tiffany’s raised head. “But where are you gonna put your head?”

Tiffany, wearing a smug grin, put her head on Taeyeon’s thigh. “Right here.”

“My leg is not your pillow.”

“It is now.”

“Must you always get your way?”

Tiffany turned so that she could bury her nose in Taeyeon’s shirt. “Always.”

“You can’t get your way all the time.”

“What’s the point of living if you don’t get what you want?”

“If you want somebody to be happy, then what that person wants will also be what you want.”

“So if you want me to be happy, you’ll quit your job cos that’s what I want.”

“Why must you insist on making me quit my job? Is it really because my client’s daughter is pretty?”

Tiffany shook her head, rolling it side to side on Taeyeon’s thigh. “No, it’s not just that.”

“As I suspected. So what’s the real reason why?” Taeyeon asked as she threaded her fingers through Tiffany’s hair.

“I miss you.” With fingers playing with Taeyeon’s shirt, Tiffany sighed. “I don’t get to see you.”

“You’re seeing me right now.”

“Five days.”

“What?”

“I didn’t get to see you for five days.”

“You really miss me.”

Tiffany turned so she could look at Taeyeon. “Why do you sound so surprised? Don’t you miss me too?”

Taeyeon looked down into her eyes and smiled. “I didn’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter