The Same Page

Her Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her bodyguard was already there when Tiffany got to the café they had agreed to meet in. It wasn’t Tiffany’s first choice—she had wanted to talk to Taeyeon in her own home, but her bodyguard had stubbornly refused to meet unless it was at premises outside of her home. Also, since it was the next day, Taeyeon was technically no longer her bodyguard but Tiffany wasn’t going to let it be. Taeyeon was still her bodyguard.

“What would you like to have?” Taeyeon inquired as soon as she sat down. “It’s my treat today.”

Tiffany was surprised by the ready smile on Taeyeon’s face. Why was her bodyguard acting all friendly again? Did she have split personality or something?

“Americano.”

“Alright. Anything else?” Taeyeon asked as she stood.

“New York cheesecake.”

“Okay. I’ll be right back.”

Tiffany sat back and watched as her bodyguard headed to the counter to place the order. Why was she acting so differently? She had been friendly and polite enough back at the house but it felt as though there were a solid wall between them. Here in this café, it felt almost as though they were on a date. Her eyes took in the rugged denim jeans hanging on Taeyeon’s hips, ending shortly after her knees. Her bodyguard’s slim but toned calves tapered into bare ankles and a pair of sporty white sneakers. Something about the look warmed her heart. Her eyes then climbed back up in appreciation to observe the plaid shirt hanging off shoulders that Tiffany wanted to put her arms around. Damn. Where did that thought come from.

Tiffany looked away when Taeyeon turned her body and focused on the cup of coffee on the table. It looked like cappuccino. Her bodyguard liked sweeter things, she thought, remembering the packets of sweets she had seen Taeyeon eating before. She was a bit like a kid in that aspect. But nothing like a kid when it came to everything else.

A steaming cup of coffee and a plate of cheesecake were placed on the table.

“Did you sleep well last night?” Taeyeon asked after taking her seat.

“No,” Tiffany replied as she cut out a piece of the cake with her fork. “Do you wanna try some?” she asked, holding out the cake on her fork.

“If you don’t mind,” said Taeyeon.

Before Tiffany could hand the fork over, her bodyguard had already held her hand and put the cake into . She stared, empty fork hanging in the air, as her bodyguard chewed with a smile.

“It’s very smooth.” Taeyeon gave a nod to affirm her review. “It’s good.”

“What are you trying to do?” Tiffany asked at last.

“What am I trying to do?”

“This. Smiling. Buying me coffee. Eating my cake.”

“If you don’t want me to eat your cake, don’t offer it.”

Tiffany leaned back and crossed her arms. “You’re up to something. You obviously know what I meant but you’re acting dodgy.”

“I’m like this when I’m off duty.” Taeyeon smiled. “And since I’m not your bodyguard anymore, I can be my usual self.”

“About that. I won’t accept your resignation.”

Taeyeon shook her head. “I didn’t resign.”

“Stop playing around with words. You know what I mean.”

Taeyeon sighed and leaned forward on her elbows. “I didn’t resign. My contract with your father will only run for as long as your life is in mortal danger. Now that the main threat has been arrested, the contract is effectively over. Your father tried to extend the contract too. He’s willing to offer me very attractive pay and terms so it’s not his fault that I rejected his offer.”

“Then why? Why don’t you want to be my bodyguard anymore? Is it because you don’t like me?”

Taeyeon’s eyes left Tiffany’s briefly for the cake between them before meeting hers again. “Why would you think I don’t like you?”

“Why else would you reject a ton of money?”

Taeyeon stiffened. “I’m not the sort who will do anything for money.”

Tiffany exhaled loudly through her nose. “I’m not trying to say you’re that kind of person. But I know my father. He would have offered to triple your pay at least.”

“He did. And he was willing to give me even more off days too.”

“So, why?”

“I already told your father the reason.”

“I’m asking now.”

Taeyeon took a deep breath. “I don’t wanna sound conceited or proud but I’m the kind of bodyguard people hire for high risk situa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter