Nineteen

What If

 

 

"I've been seeing you a lot though. In my dreams."

 

Baekhyun would've melt for his words but he's had enough with tolerating this kind of pain. 

 

"Please stop. Kyungsoo told me that you already knew the truth about what's happening to the three of us." 

 

"Yes. I know. And I feel truly sorry for the both of you. I don't even know how to face you both." 

 

"Kyungsoo also knew what happened to us two years ago."

 

Chanyeol sighed deeply and nodded. 

 

"I told him everything already. My thoughts about what happened two years ago and everything before that."

 

Baekhyun narrowed his brows in confusion.

 

"What everything before that? Do you remember anything?" 

 

Chanyeol weakly smiled and nodded. He couldn't believe that he's finally getting answers after years. His heart relaxed for a moment as if it sighed so deeply. Tears uncontrollably fell from his eyes as he reached for Chanyeol's hand. He wanted to know everything too. 

 

"When I asked you about my family back then, you told me I never told you anything about them. And I pondered so hard what's the reason behind it. Until I started dreaming about the life I had before I met you. It was tough." 

 

Hearing Chanyeol's story made Baekhyun feel sorry. He'd known him all his life but he got to hear about his life just now. 

 

"I never knew my father. My mom wouldn't tell me anything about that man. So we lived together alone, in an abandoned partment with no electricity. We couldn't afford anything but food. We barely live everyday. That's how I remembered my life as a child." 

 

"My mom died a year before I met you. I was left all alone, and thought I should follow her wherever she was now. But I fought my urge to die. My mom wouldn't want that, so I roamed for a year, struggling to live. Until I met a kind woman who took me into her home and made go to school. That's when I met you, the time my life turned a little brighter." 

 

Baekhyun was just silently crying while holding his hands. He couldn't say anything at all. He just felt sorry for the life Chanyeol had that he didn't knew of. 

 

"We were inseparable right? There's no secrets between us. That's how I wanted you to feel but I'm sorry, I lied about one thing. That one thing was the reason why everything happened."

 

"I met a guy named Yifan. I trusted him because he gave me jobs that helped me a lot to support myself. He supported me in all ways he could especially at the time when the woman who took me in got sick and I have to support her. We were in a relationship for a year and a half. I never really felt anything towards him, I just felt like I have to because I owe him a lot. Until he became obsessive, and he'd physically hurt me over things he didn't like. I remember you treating some of my wounds back at univ. You'd ask me what happened but I always say it's an accident or something. I really didn't want you to know, I don't want you to worry." 

 

"He's the biggest mistake of my life. I decided to cut him off when I finished univ. And I immediately dragged you far from there. I was happy I finally have you and was far from him. But I'm always scared that he'd come for me, especially for you. He knows you." 

 

Baekhyun suddenly felt scared. Whoever that man is, Chanyeol is truly scared of him. 

 

"But being with you, I felt so at ease. I didn't want to worry about anything. So I kind of forgot about him within the time we were together. Until that vacation we had. He followed us there Baek. And he assaulted me. After that I woke up in a hospital without memories. Kyungsoo found me." 

 

There's what Baekhyun was waiting. The reason for his disappearance. Baekhyun sobbed even more when Chanyeol finished talking. He didn't know what to feel. All these years he'd been so upset about the pain he's going through since Chanyeol disappeared but he never thought what Chanyeol would've felt. 

 

"I'm sorry. I don't know what to say." 

 

"It's okay. It's all in the past. I feel the most sorry right now, for you and Kyungsoo." 

 

"Kyungsoo went through a lot because me. I owe him my second life yet I only brought him pain. When I was at the emptiest time of my life, Kyungso became my light and way to get through life. I wouldn't survive without him, I needed him. I never felt empty with him despite me not remembering anything. He loved me despite my emptiness, and he loved me more when I was trying to make myself whole two years ago. That's why he deserves so much more."

 

"Kyungsoo loves you more than I ever could. And he's the bravest man I met. He would do anything for you Chanyeol, that's actually why I'm here. It's because of Kyungsoo. And I know you can be better for him. You both deserves each other." 

 

It's true. Baekhyun knew he could never love Chanyeol the way Kyungsoo loves him. 

 

"I am grateful for the life I had with you Baekhyun, I really am. You were already a part of me that I wouldn't ever forget even if I have this stupid disease. I often see you in my dreams, bits of our youthful memories back then. I treasure it all, and I treasure you too. But I left you hanging when I disappeared and lived my life. It was unfair for you to went through things on your own, I'm truly sorry." 

 

"It's alright. I have answers now and I'm glad it came from you. I realized that's all I ever wanted. All these years I feel like something's holding me back from moving forward with my life, I always thought because you weren't in it. I thought having you back would make my life back to the way it was but when I came to knew that you have a new life, I wished I could forget mine too. I thought it was unfair that I remember everything yet I have unanswered questions that you couldn't answer but after hearing everything from you, I understand now. I really do, and I thank you for it. You freed something in me."

 

Chanyeol started to cry and say sorry a lot of times. Baekhyun had to comfort him before it triggers his seizures. When they both calmed down, Kyungsoo entered the room.

 

"Can I talk to you Baekhyun?" Kyungsoo called him. He got up and went outside with Kyungsoo.

 

"I assume he told you everything?"

 

"Yes, he did."

 

"I'm glad you had the closure you deserve Baekhyun." 

 

"Yeah, I needed that so I could have a life of my own." 

 

"I'm sorry that I dragged you into this. I was just desperate to see Chanyeol better." 

 

"I absolutely understand Kyungsoo. You were so brave to do so. Chanyeol's lucky to have you in his life. I don't know the story between you two but I know it was more than what Chanyeol and I had. I can feel it in the way Chanyeol talked about you." 

 

Kyungsoo smiled at him. 

 

"I love him so much, I don't know what I'll do without him." 

 

"Same goes for him for sure." Kyungsoo started crying and Baekhyun hugged him. The man went through a lot more than Baekhyun could imagine.

 

When Kyungsoo stopped crying, he looked at Baekhyun with a serious gaze. 

 

"I have to tell you something." 

 

"What is it?" 

 

"I was planning on taking Chanyeol abraod for treatment." 

 

Baekhyun wasn't sure what to feel about his plan but he knows it's for Chanyeol's betterment. 

 

"Oh. When are you leaving?" 

 

"I've actually been working on it these past few weeks. And we're already set once the three of us are settled. This must've been unfair to you after all you've done for us but I'm a husband, and I get to call for it. I know it sounds offensive on your part Baekhyun, but I don't intend it that way. I just want to have the life Chanyeol and I promised each other." 

 

A life without Baekhyun.

 

"I understand Kyungsoo. You both deserve that life and I'm willing to do whatever you want me to do. Thank you for letting me help you and sorry that it has to be a painful way for you." 

 

Kyungsoo hugged him again and told him that they were staying only until next week. He also told Baekhyun he's welcome to visit them before they leave for abroad. But Baekhyun thought it's not a good idea for him. He thought he'll need that timespan to sink in that Chanyeol's going away again.

 

After saying goodbye to Kyungsoo and Chanyeol, he left the hospital and went straight home. He cried for hours. He cried for whatever reason it is that it hurts again just like the time Chanyeol disappeared.