Thirteen

What If

 


Two Years Later

 

 

 

It's been two years since he saw them saying their vows to each other. Two years since he last swore he'll move on on him. Two years that felt so empty without him, two years of thinking that he's now with somewhat else, happy without Baekhyun. 

 

He learned how to hold back his tears everytime he remembers Chanyeol, his smiles and his everything. So that Minseok wouldn't smack him while telling him how stupid he is. 

 

"So how's your work doing?" 

 

"It's great, so far." 

 

"Were you expecting something to happen to your job?" 

 

"No, it's not that. I just couldn't ask for more." Or say more..

 

"Baekhyun?"

 

He looked up at Minseok and stared at his concerned gaze. For two years, that gaze Minseok had been giving him didn't changed. It's always so worried and sometimes he sees pity in them, and Baekhyun was drowning inside, although there's a way to breathe air and ask for help, he just stayed there, drowning. Maybe Minseok knows, how much he's in pain up until now. 

 

"I don't want to bring that up again but for two years I could only think of it as the reason why you changed so much."

 

Baekhyun weakly smiled and faked a chuckle. So Minseok knew, that makes Baekhyun a bad actor then.

 

"Minseok, I'm working on it." 

 

"Still? Shouldn't it be done by now? It's been two years." 

 

"I'm doing my best and am working on it okay? Don't worry. I have to go now. My break is over."

 

He picked up his things and walked out of the cafe they're in. Leaving Minseok sighing so heavily that makes Baekhyun's heart pity himself. Actually, Baekhyun wasn't trying or working on anything. He thinks time will heal everything but it always prove him wrong until he accepted that he won't ever move on with Chanyeol. It's hard, like trying to walk even after knowing you don't know how to walk. It's something like that. Trying to be funtional even if its useless. He don't know what life he's leading by now, by the path he's taking, he wasn't sure where it would lead him. His life became so full of endless uncertainties. 

 

He's thankful of his job now though, it keeps him distracted from his miserable reality that he wasn't really sure if he wants to forget. It helps him keep his sanity. He's a cook in some restaurant around Seoul. Baekhyun moved about a year ago to Seoul, thinking that opportunities was just around there. And from the start he thought Seoul would help him move on with life but then he realized that Chanyeol is also here in Seoul. He was uneasy at first since he's too afraid he'd encounter Chanyeol out of the blue, out of some random street at some random time and he didn't know what to react to him yet. He's always so nervous but luckily, for a year he's been living there, he didn't encounter any Chanyeol. That makes him so relieved yet a little disappointed. Did they move? Where did they go? Are they out of the country? But thoughts like this haunts him everytime he wants to know about how's he doing. He's always curious and its so tiring said his brain but his heart can't stop at all. It's almost unstoppable. Not until he learned how to control it. If back then, every minute Chanyeol crosses his mind and starts ruing his thoughts, now it went down to once or twice a day. For Baekhyun, that was his only improvement. 


Its almost past eleven at night when he got out of work. The restaurant was in chaos today so he went home a bit later than usual. Cooking exhausted him that always reminds him that he's after all still living. His apartment was just blocks away from the restaurant so he's always walking home, alone. Sometimes there's people walking around with him, sometimes there's none, like today. Was it already that late? 

 

Entering his codes, his apartment welcomed him warmly. The lights are dim but Baekhyun didn't bother switching the lights on. He walked straight to the couch and dropped himself. His arms are suddenly numb and his head swirls madly that made him close his eyes and fall into a deep slumber. 

 

 


*

 

 

 

 

 

He was late at work the next morning. He overslept because he's just too tired but his boss let him slip this time. He wasn't the kind of employee that's always late, in fact he's the role model here. Never been late, just today. 


His day went on and nothing exciting happened except to that flash mob that happened on his way back to work from his break. He's never seen anything so amazing and left his mouth opened while watching them dance altogether and in sync.

The people gathered around them and they're all clapping and shouting, telling how great they are. Baekhyun smiled and he somewhat felt proud too. He don't know why. Maybe he's just too amazed. It's not everyday he got to see such event anyway. It's very rare, or maybe often, he just don't care back then. 


At nine, all of them went home. There are only few customers so they got out. The usual end time of their work is ten. But days are unpredictable so sometimes they went out an hour or two later or earlier. He walked home again. Slower than last night since its too early and he don't know what to do in his house when he got there. But walking alone made it unfairly fast. Just a couple of minutes passed and he's pressing the elevator his floor number. 

 

But when he's nearing his apartment's front door, a familiar silhouette drew closer. Making Baekhyun's heart pounding a little louder and hurt a little bit too. 

 

 


"Byun Baekhyun."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


It's Do Kyungsoo.