Unexpected kindness

The cure for my sleeping pain

Thank you SilentOne43 and Cloudnine7 for the upvotes and thank you everyone for the wonderful comments!

This chapter is dedicated to my little brother jongosh for his birthday! Happy late birthday!

Another chapter! Yaaaaay!

Enjoy my pretties!

 

~~~~<3~~~~

 

“! An earthquake!”

The car was moving from one side to the other, the ground was shaking so hard that Hyukjae lost control. He was trying his best to keep it on the road, but rocks were coming down from the nearby hills, leaving behind a trace of dust.

The sound was so bad and so loud, it was terrifying.

Until it suddenly stopped.

There was a second of silence before Donghae turned to Hyukjae and asked quickly, “How fast can you drive? I need to check on my father”

Hyukjae didn’t respond. His eyes were wide and his hands were gripped on the steering wheel.

He was in shock.

He left the car, and Donghae followed him, “Hyukjae?” he was not responding. Suddenly his knees gave up and he collapsed on the floor. Donghae quickly picked him up, put him into the passenger seat and drove as fast as he could into town. Nothing prepared them for what they saw.

All the buildings now were seriously damaged. Hyukjae looked around in horror at the ruined buildings, the broken roads and the mass of scared people. He turned to Donghae, who was repeating like a mantra, “He will be ok… please god let him be ok…” Hyukjae felt his heart break at the sight of Donghae, he looked on the verge of tears, terrified and desperate. He put his hand on Donghae’s shoulder and whispered, “he will be ok Donghae… don’t worry…”

They drove to the hospital and more than half of the hospital was crumbled on the floor. Donghae left the car running and ran inside. There were people outside, running around and shouting, he stopped and grabbed one of the nurses and asked frantically, “Where is my dad? Is he alive?”

She shook her head nervously, “I-I don’t know, we are still trying to go inside… but the fireman don’t let us… a-ask them…” Donghae ran towards the hospital and tried to get inside but one of the policeman stopped him, “Donghae! We are doing the best we can, but you need stop and remain calm…”

“But my dad is inside!”

“He is not the only one inside! There are others and phones are not working! You need to let us help them, please!”

Donghae stopped, his breathing irregular and his eyes wondering all over the ruined hospital. Hyukjae was beside him and gently grabbed his arm, “Please Donghae… let’s wait over there…” Hyukjae pointed at the other corner of the building, his hand lowered and grabbed Donghae’s hand and pulled Donghae towards the designated area.

They waited a few long and agonising hours, sitting on the ground, until they heard and saw people starting to come out of the building. Donghae stood up and jogged towards the group of people, trying to spot his father. Hyukjae stood beside him and helped.

Donghae’s eyes frantically searched every person, and landed on the second stretcher coming out of the hospital. It was Donghae’s father. He immediately ran to him and started crying, cluching onto the side of the stretcher.

His father opened his eyes and started smiling when he saw Donghae, “Here you are my boy, so early today… Are you ok?” Donghae looked at him with tears in his eyes, “I was so scared… thank god I was with Hyukjae… I drove over here as fast as I could-”

“You drove what?!”

Donghae answered, “Hyukjae’s car of course!”

“But you don’t have a license you silly boy!”

Hyukjae looked at Donghae in horror, “You don’t have a license? Seriously?!” Before Donghae could argue or defend himself, his father looked at Hyukjae and said, “Oh hello there, how are you?”

Hyukjae turned to the older man and bowed slightly, “Very well father, and you?”

He chuckled, “I have been better but, what can you do? Thank you for lending your car to my son, I have spent so much time with him lately since you are in his life… time is really what I don’t have much left, if you know what I mean.” Hyukjae looked at him and then looked away, “Well, I don’t know about that… I didn’t really lend him my car… I took him home and we just spent the night together in your house… we needed to get back so…”

“You spent the night there?”

Hyukjae nodded. His father looked at Donghae and said, “I hope my boy was nice to you, the last time he had a guest he was so rude to her…”

Donghae huffed, “Well Hyukjae did not try to get into my bed, actually he did go in my bed, but to sleep…”

A nurse came behind Donghae’s father and she said, “We need to bring your father inside, but we don’t know where because half of the hospital is gone, there are so many injuries and the director is giving priority to people who are in danger, sorry…”

“Can we take father to another hospital?” Hyukjae asked.

“This is the one closest to our home, and even with this one I struggle to come and see him.” Donghae answered.

Hyukjae asked, “Well, what does he need?” The nurse looked at him and said, “He needs a drip with medicine in the morning and afternoon with the drugs to help him with the cancer, but nobody would go to his house, it is too far away.”

Hyukjae thought for a second and clapped his hands, “Well it is simple, we rent another room in the hotel that is not that far from here.”

Donghae argued, “I know you mean well… but I think you probably have noticed that we don’t have money…”

Hyukjae shrugged, “But I do, and I don’t mind paying for it until things here get better, I will stay here for a week at the least, and the station is paying for my room so I can pay for another one for you guys.”

Donghae and his father looked at each other and his father said, “Can I ask you, why would you do that for us?”

Hyukjae didn’t have an answer, it took him a few internal minutes to think about it, he had an inkling as to why he may be doing it, but he struggled with himself on what it actually was. He then answered, “Because I feel like it. Because I have the money because I never spend it and everyone calls me stingy… but I never had a good reason to spend it, until now. And you father, have been one of the few people in my life who have been nice to me. Is that a good enough reason for you?”

The father looked at Donghae and said, “It is your choice son.”

Donghae looked troubled. He then looked at his father and said, “I will never forgive myself if something happens to you because I said no. I will send you fish for the rest of your life to your address, I don’t think a whale would make it, but I will try to repay you one way or another.”