Chapter 6

Something More Than Love

“I guess that's settled, then,” Yerin took SinB’s silence as a form of agreement. “You will tell Sowon and Yuju no later than tomorrow.” She stood up from the couch, placing her hands behind her back.

 

 

“Tomorrow? On Sunday? Don't you think that's a little too soon?” SinB responded in disbelief. “I'm still trying to process this, and you want me to potentially destroy my friendships by tomorrow?” SinB crossed her arms in defense.

 

“You did say you wanted to get this over with,” Euhna spoke up, feeling annoyed. “The sooner the better.”

 

“Eunha is right,” Yerin solemnly agreed. “If we push this back any longer, another blameless person could get hurt, if not already.”

 

SinB exhaled a breath and uncrossed her arms, not wanting to vocally admit that she was wrong, but at least show that she felt guilty.

 

“Since it’s only seven in the morning, do you want to eat breakfast here, SinB-ssi?” Yerin offered in hopes to lighten the mood. “You need to regain your strength after being practically drugged.” Yerin gave Eunha a stern look. But, Eunha, wearing a smug smile, remained composed.

 

Though SinB wanted to say no, she felt a slight rumble in her stomach. The last thing she ate was a few pieces of ddeokbokki, and she wasn't willing to walk home on an empty tummy. “Sure, Yerin-unnie,” SinB answered, a bit more colder than she had intended it to.


 

SinB was taken to a magnificent dining room, equipped with an elegant chandelier and a grand mahogany table.

 

There were three chairs on each side. SinB was instructed by Yerin to take whichever seat she pleases while the rest of them prepared the food and table. She chose a chair near the corner of the table which gave her a view of all the beautiful landscape paintings that hung on the wall.

 

Umji was off to the side of the room gathering the plates, silverware, and placemats.

 

SinB wanted to help the petite girl, but she looked too focused in what she was doing, scurrying back and forth.

 

After thoughtfully placing the last spoon and fork on the table, Umji sat herself in the chair right next to SinB.

 

Feeling slightly awkward, SinB looked over at the girl and gave a polite smile. “Kamsahamnida, Umji-ssi.”

 

Umji nodded her head once and returned the smile, eyes were bright in appreciation.

 

Eunha entered the room carrying a tray filled with coffee mugs.

 

“Tea for the human,” Eunha said disdainfully, placing the cup near SinB. “Type B for Umji,” she cheerfully gave the mug to the young vampire. “Type AB for Yerin,” settling it near the chair facing Umji. “And, Type A for me.” The final cup was placed near the seat in front of SinB.

 

Eunha smiled at Umji and glared at SinB before returning to the kitchen.

 

“Did you like your dream, SinB-unnie?” Umji quietly and cautiously addressed the older girl. SinB had a look of surprise on her face after finally hearing her voice, but it evolved into confusion.

 

“What do you mean, Umji-ssi?” SinB gently replied.

 

“The dream you had last night about Yerin-unnie,” Umji simply answered.

 

“You created that dream for me?” SinB softly whispered, hoping that Yerin, and especially Eunha, didn't come waltzing into the room.

 

Umji nodded her head as if to say yes. “Mianhamnida,” Umji apologized. “I felt bad for the past two nightmares I gave you. Eunha-unnie was the one who came up with the idea.”

 

“Why am I not surprised?” SinB muttered to herself. She faced the young girl. “It's alright, Umji-ssi. Thank you for the nice dream.”

 

Umji leaned towards SinB to whisper, “I hope you have nice dreams from now on, SinB-unnie.” She smiled, making her cheeks even more adorable.

 

“Breakfast is ready!” Yerin called out, entering the room holding a serving tray with a plate of scrambled eggs and a plate of bacon. Eunha “floated” behind with a tray of toast and an assortment of jams. The two positioned the plates in the middle of the table to make it accessible for everyone.

 

“That was sooner than I expected,” SinB commented in disbelief.

 

“I'll take that as a compliment, SinB-ssi,” Yerin happily replied as she sat diagonally from her.

 

“You should,” Eunha joined in, sliding into her chair. She stared directly at SinB. “Our Yerin works well with her hands,” Eunha provocatively mentioned. “Many people comment on how fast her fingers can move.” She quirked an eyebrow.

 

“And, that's because I've been cooking for this shameless girl for much too long,” Yerin, who was starting to blush, quickly cleared up any misinterpretations while giving Eunha a small shove. She looked at SinB and was mortified to see her eyes wide and mouth dropped.

 

Eunha smirked, proud of the tension she created in the room. She glanced at Umji, who was calmly sipping on her Type B blood, and was relieved to see that the girl was too innocent to understand the innuendo. “Let's eat,” Eunha simply announced.


 

For the most part, the four girls ate in silence. There were a couple of times where SinB or Eunha would praise Yerin for her cooking, but that was the extent. Silverware clanked, food was being chewed, and beverages were being consumed.

 

“SinB-ssi,” Yerin broke the awkward silence, “since we will be working together, do you have any questions you want to ask us?”

 

There were plenty of questions circulating in SinB’s mind, but she wasn't sure if they were appropriate. “If you don't mind me asking,” SinB gently prodded, “how did you three become vampires?”

 

Eunha slammed her fork on the plate, startling SinB. “I’m sorry to tell you this, cupcake,” Eunha scornfully responded, “but we do mind.” There was a threatening gleam in her eyes.

 

Yerin placed a hand on Eunha’s shoulder, trying to calm her down. “It's a sensitive topic for most vampires,” Yerin justified.

 

“Jwoesonghamnida,” SinB hurriedly apologized and bowed her head to Eunha, Yerin, and Umji.

 

“Gwenchanayo,” Yerin nervously smiled at SinB as she continued to try to relax Eunha. “Right, Eunha? Everything is fine. SinB-ssi didn't know.”

 

It took some coaxing, but Eunha simmered down a bit. She diverted her death stare away from SinB.

 

“Though it may take some time of getting to know each other for us to tell you how we became vampires,” Yerin timidly eased the question, “maybe, we can at least tell you when?” When her colleagues didn't speak up, Yerin decided to stand up from her chair with the essence of a leader. Wetting her lips, Yerin bravely spoke, “I was turned into a vampire in 1963 at the age of 20.”

 

A few seconds passed until Umji stood up on her own accord. “Six months ago, 18-years-old,” Umji quietly announced before sitting back down.

 

“Kamsahamnida, Umji-ya,” Yerin thanked the young vampire with a softhearted smile.

 

Everyone, including SinB, looked over to Eunha, waiting for her to answer. She gave a slight pout, before rolling her eyes and standing up.

 

“1975. I was 19-years-old when the scumbag bit me,” Eunha brashly said before abruptly sitting back in her chair.

 

“Kamsahamnida, Eunha-ya,” Yerin breathed out in relief when Eunha complied. She returned her attention to SinB. “Any other questions, SinB-ssi,” Yerin kindly asked.

 

SinB could feel the weight of Eunha's stare. “N-no thank you, Yerin-unnie,” SinB nervously stuttered, but tried to remain composed as possible. “Um, actually, where is your bathroom?” She had to get out there. The tense atmosphere was suffocating.

 

“At the end of the hall, to your left,” Eunha dryly answered before Yerin could open .

 

“Kamsahamnida,” SinB quickly thanked. Her eyes instinctively darted away when they met Eunha’s fierce stare.

 

She excused herself, making sure to respectfully bow at each girl before leaving the room.

 

Though she first thought that Yerin would be the death of her, SinB realized she was wrong. Eunha will most definitely be the cause of her impending death.


 

After breakfast, SinB volunteered to wash the dishes, but Yerin insisted that Eunha should be the one responsible after her disrespectful attitude. SinB did collect all the plates and utensils, though, settling them in the kitchen sink.

 

Yerin walked over to where SinB was in the kitchen.

 

“Thank you, again, SinB-ssi,” Yerin smiled at the young girl, but it still lacked something. “I just want to say how much I appreciate your cooperation. Eunha typically doesn't behave so rudely to the ones we help.”

 

“It's fine,” SinB replied, trying to brush it off coolly. “I'm sure she's really nice once you get to know her.” She tried to sound positive about Eunha, but in reality, SinB was more frightened of the posh girl than of Virgo.

 

Eunha promptly entered the kitchen. Not bothering to acknowledge the two, she put on her rubber gloves and proceeded to do her chores.

 

“I’m on dish drying duty since Umji went back to her room to sleep. She stood up all night, waiting for you to wake up,” Yerin explained. “Plus, she's a vampire, so it's sort of in our nature to sleep during the day,” she joked, earning a slight chuckle from SinB. “Anyways, this should just take a couple minutes. Maybe you could stay around for bit so we could talk more in detail about the plan.” Her eyes had a sparkle of hope.

 

“Sure. No problem,” SinB answered with a polite smile. “I'll just be in the living room, then.”

 

Yerin nodded her head in understanding, as SinB awkwardly strolled out the kitchen door.

 

She didn't stray too far, though, when a picture hanging on the wall caught her attention. It was a black and white group photo of, perhaps, 50 women standing in rows. A woman in the middle of the bottom row was holding a sign which read, “Sisters of the Night, South Korea Circuit 1965.”

 

Each woman wore an identical uniform, similar to that of a flight attendant. Skimming through all the faces, SinB stopped when her gaze reached the wholesome, heartwarming eye smile of Yerin. Her physical appearance didn't change one bit, except for her hairstyle. Still, the girl in the picture reminded SinB more of the girl she met in the dance studio than the same girl who stood in front of her.

 

SinB was about to return to the living room when she heard a flirtatious giggle coming from the kitchen. Curiosity got the best of her, and she decided to peek through the door that was slightly opened.

 

She saw Eunha blowing foam bubbles at Yerin, who was beside her. Though Yerin tried to not pay attention to the pretty girl by occupying herself with drying the dishes, an amused smile creeped on her lips. Eunha began to playfully throw a bundle of foam in the air which landed on both of their faces. Yerin grabbed a clean towel to wipe the suds away from Eunha's face. Eunha plucked the towel from Yerin’s hand to clean the older girl.

 

SinB noticed how Eunha’s face was awfully close to Yerin’s. Settling the towel on the counter, Eunha took off her gloves and proceeded to fix Yerin's hair. Her expression softened as she looked into Yerin’s eyes. Yerin smiled questioningly, until Eunha got on her tiptoes and proceeded to kiss her.

 

From her perspective, SinB wasn't certain if the kiss was on Yerin’s lips. Either way, SinB knew that watching them in an intimate moment was an invasion of privacy. And, she knew better than anyone how wrong it was. She walked away to the living room as quietly as possible.

 

There was something roiling in SinB’s chest at the sight of Eunha kissing Yerin. Like her heart was breaking. Earlier that day, SinB convinced herself that she no longer had feelings for Yerin. There was a sharp contrast between the whimsical girl she played on the monkey bars with and the prudent girl whose main goal was to help and nothing more.

 

So, why did SinB feel like she just witnessed Yerin, who wasn’t even her girlfriend, cheat on her? She needed to leave the manor. She needed to be alone.

 

Spotting her backpack lying on the side of the couch she slept on, SinB hastily picked it up and swung it on her shoulder. She was about to exit the room when Yerin entered, looking confused.

 

“You're leaving?” Yerin questioned, sounding a bit disappointed. “I thought we were going to discuss more about the plan.”

 

“The plan. Don't worry about it. I'll make sure to tell Sowon and Yuju the truth tomorrow,” SinB stammered. “I just think I should go home, now. To shower.” SinB tried to move around Yerin who sidestepped in front of her.

 

"You could shower here," Yerin said a little too eagerly. "We have plenty of clothes for you to borrow."

 

“No, thank you, Yerin-unnie,” SinB maintained formalities. “I wouldn't want to intrude.” She swiftly managed to leave the room without Yerin obstructing her path. In a few strides, SinB was near the front door. Yerin followed her, but made sure to put a respectful distance between them. “Kamsahamnida, for the breakfast and your hospitality,” SinB hurriedly thanked and bowed before leaving out the door and leaving Yerin stunned.

 

"Smooth." Eunha emerged from the hallway after secretly witnessing the awkward encounter. She strutted behind Yerin, snaking her arms around Yerin’s waist and resting her chin on the taller girl’s shoulder.
 

"I'm not in the mood to submit to your juvenile jealousy," Yerin sternly said and promptly freed herself from Eunha’s hug.

 

"Were you ever?" Eunha replied with much spite. Her eyes narrowed at Yerin.

 

"That's a bit unfair, don't you think?" Yerin rebutted with ice in her tone.

 

"You should know by now that I have a hard time letting things go, especially if they’re cute,” Eunha cunningly replied. She seductively quirked an eyebrow as she adjusted the bow in Yerin’s hair.

 

Aggravated, Yerin turned away from Eunha’s attention, making her way to the staircase.

 

"She's confused, Yerin-ah," Eunha criticized relentlessly, which caused Yerin to stop mid-step. "You pretended to be someone who you are currently not. You played with her emotions. Thus, you played with her heart. And, that's the most sensitive organ in the human body."


 

"I did what I needed to do," Yerin firmly replied, turning her body to face her.


 

"Hmm. Of course," Eunha smirked, not believing in the creditability of Yerin's words. "But still, you developed feelings for her, didn't you?"


 

"I thought you swore that you wouldn't go rummaging through my mind," Yerin said defensively, feeling a bit hurt.


 

"I don't need to read your mind to figure out that you have a crush. It's called 'best friend intuition,'" Eunha wittily replied with a sly smile.

 

"Oh. So, we're best friends, now,” Yerin responded with irritation. “Good. Let's keep it that way," Yerin coldly ended before jogging up the rest of the stairs to retreat to her room.
 

"I have been," Eunha, crossing her arms, quietly revealed to no one. "For the past several decades." She sadly leaned her back against the wall, blowing a stray hair out of her face.