Chapter 13

Something More Than Love

Author’s Note: Hey, everyone! Sorry that this chapter took a little longer for me to write. I'm getting pretty busy with school, but I'm trying to make the effort to update as soon as I can. I also want to say thank you for all the fun and supportive comments for last chapter. Honestly, I didn’t expect that it would get such a big reaction. I hope this fic continues being an enjoyable story for you all.


 

“Wash the octopus with thick salt and flour,” Yerin muttered to herself as she read off a recipe on her phone.

 

It was 5:15 am. She was alone in the kitchen, gathering the ingredients needed to make a particular health dish for a very special human. Though SinB proved to be quite the fighter, yesterday, Yerin needed to build the younger girl’s stamina. The clock was ticking and it was only a matter of time for Virgo to send another round of vampires to do his bidding.

 

Deciding to get a head start with cooking, Yerin took the packaged octopus out of the refrigerator along with the salt, flour, and a mixing bowl that was on the counter. In one fast pull, she ripped the plastic seal, grabbing the small octopus with her bare hands, and proceeded to rinse it in the sink. With much skill, she carefully removed the sea creature’s organs. She, then, followed the recipe by covering it with the salt and flour concoction.

 

As she mixed the wet octopus into the dry ingredients, Yerin thought back to that night when she gallantly kicked opened SinB’s apartment door out of concern for the younger girl. The first thing she saw was that blonde dirtbag of a vampire on top of SinB, strangling her and preparing to cut her ivory skin. Though she remained calm on the outside, Yerin’s blood was boiling with anger. The satisfaction Yerin had of grabbing him by the jacket of his cheap suit and throwing him as far from SinB as possible was something she had never felt before.

 

In her many years as a Sisters of the Night member, Yerin has killed goblins, werewolves, witches, and of course, vampires. While all of them were rewarding in their own way, putting a stake into the two vampires who threatened SinB’s life fulfilled a part of Yerin that she never knew she needed to fulfill.

 

Love had never been a priority for Yerin. Even before she became a vampire, she always put her family first before her own self-interests. Helping others seemed more gratifying than searching for “the one.”

 

After her relationship with her first love fell through, she made a promise to not fall in love with colleagues or clients, or anyone for that matter. As the years and decades flew by, Yerin kept that promise. But, when SinB became the next person chosen to be in need of the Sisters’ help, a flutter awoken Yerin’s un-beating heart. There was no doubt that SinB was attractive. Liking a person for their looks alone, though, felt too superficial for Yerin. But, that changed when she walked into Destiny Dance Studio and noticed SinB’s determined spirit in the one activity she adored so much. The way she perfected each dance move and forced her friends in improving their own skills made Yerin change her perspective on SinB. She was more than just a pretty face.

 

But, what really made Yerin attracted to SinB even more was how they connected on an emotional level. The physical allure was there, but nothing made Yerin feel more overwhelmed with desire than when SinB told her about her pivotal “ideal type.” It never clicked before, but she also longed for the same qualities.

 

As much as she wanted to build a relationship with SinB, there were various factors that Yerin felt would prohibit their stability as a couple. The major one being Virgo. He was, and continued to be, the bane of Yerin’s existence. How she yearned to plunge a stake into his dead, cold heart. Not a day goes by without the memory of seeing her brother, burnt to a crisp, laying beside her.

 

What are the odds of Virgo being tied to another person she deeply cared about? One thing was for sure, though. If Virgo lays one finger on SinB, her SinB, there was going to be hell to pay.

 

“Yerin-ah, the octopus is already dead. Don't you think it has suffered enough?” Eunha said when she walked into the kitchen and saw the older girl roughly balling and squeezing the sea creature as if she was hand washing laundry.

 

Yerin looked at the octopus whose legs were overstretched and beginning to tear. She glanced over her shoulder and saw Eunha with an amused look on her face. Yerin threw the girl a sheepish smile before taking the octopus out of the bowl and washing off the mushy mixture.

 

“What are you even making?” Eunha asked, walking pompously towards Yerin near the sink.

 

“Yeonpotang,” Yerin simply answered. “Do you want to help?”

 

“I’ll pass,” Eunha replied with a hint of distaste when she peered at the mess of wet flour covering the sink. “Why are you cooking octopus soup at this hour of the morning?”

 

“Just thought it was best to prepare it early,” Yerin responded, wringing the octopus of the excess water. “I read about its health benefits and decided it would be a good dish for SinB-ssi before we resumed training.”

 

“When you say ‘training’ are you referring to the authorized self-defense techniques that are required in teaching our clients? Or, are you referring to another physical activity involving two people in a hot and heavy situation?” Eunha inquired, tucking a stray hair out of Yerin’s face.

 

“I was really hoping that we would avoid this conversation,” Yerin disclosed, placing the octopus in a clean bowl. She grabbed the towel that laid on the counter and proceeded to dry her hands.

 

“You should be gracious that I didn’t bring it up yesterday in front of SinB-ssi,” Eunha argued, crossing her arms as she leaned her back on the counter. “I can only imagine the hilarious look on her blushing face.”

 

“Should I also be gracious that you clung to me every second in hopes of making SinB-ssi jealous?” Yerin rebutted, mirroring the same stance as Eunha.

 

“I wasn’t trying to make her jealous and I wasn’t being clingy,” Eunha defended herself. “I just missed you. You were gone the entire night.” She pouted at the older girl, hoping to gain some sympathy points. From Yerin’s blank expression, she knew her best friend wasn’t buying it. “So, what did you and the damsel in distress do after you came to her rescue?” Eunha asked straightforwardly, dismissing her innocent charade.

 

“First of all, SinB-ssi is anything but a damsel in distress,” Yerin asserted. “Secondly, like I said in the text message, we just talked.” She glanced at Eunha whose eyes were extremely focused on her, as if she was trying to fish out more details with her tantalizing stare. Knowing that she couldn't hide the truth for too long, Yerin exhaled before surrendering to the younger girl. “And, I also kissed her on the cheek.”

 

“The cheek? How daring of you,” Eunha sarcastically commented, tilting her head to accentuate her brazen grin. “What about in the training room?” she prodded. “From my point of view, it would be highly unlikely to believe that you two didn't do anything other than just sparring.”

 

Yerin hesitated for a bit, before relaxing her shoulders. “After you left, things were awkward between SinB-ssi and me. She was kind enough to suggest that we forget about that whole encounter. But, part of me didn't want to. So, I kissed her. Not directly on her lips, but at the corner,” Yerin bashfully revealed, her gaze fixed on the mangled octopus.

 

“Well, well, well. What happened to ‘Little Miss Professional?’” Eunha mused, uncrossing her arms to place both hands on her hips.

 

“I know that I haven’t been completely honest about my feelings,” Yerin spoke cautiously, “and that I’ve restricted myself from getting too close to other people.” Her eyes rose to meet Eunha’s before darting away to some random spot on the floor. “With SinB-ssi, though, things are different. I don’t want to put up a boundary anymore. It's like there's this magnetic pull that draws me closer to her everyday. Even though we've known each other for such a short amount of time, I can't imagine anyone else that could make me feel the same emotions I have for her.”

 

Eunha placed her hands behind her back, letting go of her sassy stance. Taking a step closer to the older girl, Eunha soften her stare. “Sounds like love,” she spoke with sincerity. “Perhaps, something even more than love.” Expecting a small smile, Eunha’s brows furrowed when she saw Yerin’s solemn expression. “But, you're afraid that something bad might happen when the time comes,” she said quietly, looking into the older girl’s sullen eyes.

 

“Did you read my mind?” Yerin asked, her voice slightly quivering.

 

Eunha shook her head. “Best friend intuition,” she casually replied, but her eyes were still filled with sympathy. “Yerin-ah, I know that you want to protect SinB-ssi, but you're closing yourself off again. Truth be told, I was always so sure we could have been more than friends if you only allowed yourself to be loved. Of course, I would have immediately broken up with you when I realized how incompatible we are as a couple and that you only liked me for my good looks,” Eunha joked, earning a small laugh from Yerin. “But, being vampires shouldn't automatically prohibit us from living life to the fullest.” She grabbed Yerin’s hand to give it a reassuring squeeze. “Let's not be another cliché, another trope.”

 

The small, warm smile formed on Yerin’s lips, causing Eunha to let out a breath of relief before smiling back at the older girl. Unable to contain her happiness, Yerin sporadically wrapped her arms around the younger girl, holding her in a friendly embrace. Though a bit surprised, Eunha relaxed into the hug as she softly patted Yerin’s back and laid her chin on the older girl’s shoulder.

 

For once, Eunha wasn't caught up in jealousy or preoccupied in hashing up a plan to make Yerin hers. Their friendship was far more valuable than trying to get Yerin to reciprocate her feelings. Eunha would never say it out loud, but she must admit that Yerin and SinB were annoyingly cute together.

 

Releasing their hug, Yerin looked at Eunha adoringly as she fixed the younger girl’s hair. “You're handling this much more lightly than how I expected,” Yerin acknowledged.

 

“Let’s just say that while you were fiddling with an octopus, I became increasingly interested in giraffes,” Eunha cryptically replied, earning an amused, yet quizzical look from Yerin. It was soon replaced with an endearing smile.

 

“I hope this giraffe makes you happy,” Yerin whispered, completely understanding the analogy.

 

Eunha looked away from Yerin’s intense stare, feeling unusually shy. Of course, Yerin would be the one to quickly pick up on her drift.

 

“Well,” Eunha spoke, taking a step back from Yerin, “while you dilly dally over a hot stove, I'm going to the black market. I need to restock on some items for my potions. Slime, snails, puppy dog tails. The usual,” Eunha announced like it was the most normal thing to do in the break of morning. “Do you want me to get you anything? I would suggest a love charm, but you two are already crazy for each other as it is.” She smirked at the older girl.

 

“No, thanks, Eunha-ya,” Yerin replied, grabbing the bowl that contained the octopus. “I’ll leave the magic and alchemy to you.” She grinned at Eunha who winked back at her before exiting the kitchen.


 

“Geez,” SinB said, ruffling through the contents of the closet, “all these clothes remind me of the uniforms I wore in high school.” She pulled out a pink blouse and skirt combo before shaking her head in disfavor and placing it back.

 

It was 8:05 am. SinB was in the bedroom that Yerin allowed her to rest in as she stayed the night in the headquarters. It was quite elegant and it reminded her of a classy hotel room equipped with a queen-sized bed, a desk, dresser, and its own bathroom. When SinB politely asked if she could stay in a less extravagant room, Yerin smiled at her and replied that all the bedrooms have the same accommodations.

 

It was too surreal for SinB. She adored reading the Harry Potter books and always thought it would be exciting to live in a world where supernatural creatures exist. But, now knowing that monsters and vampires do exist in her own world, and that she even developed feelings for one, it was still hard to believe.

 

What was even more difficult to believe was knowing that Yerin returned her feelings. “I think it's best if we took things slow. But, just know that I really like you, SinB-ssi.”

 

SinB smiled to herself as the memory resurfaced in her mind. Part of her understood why Yerin didn't want rush into things. It has only been a week since they’ve known each other. But, with all the undeniable chemistry that catalyzed between her and Yerin, would it really be that bad if they, at least, go on a date?

 

How SinB wished she could address these thoughts to Yerin the other day. But, whenever she tried to conversate with the older girl, Eunha just had to interrupt them and display her affection towards Yerin with back hugs and aegyo.

 

SinB instantly frowned as she continued her search for something decent to wear. She went to the dresser and was relieved to find a simple striped t-shirt and navy blue shorts. After quickly changing, she went to the vanity mirror and began to comb her brunette hair.

 

Fixing her clothes and making sure that each hair was in place, SinB relaxed when she looked at her reflection. She wasn’t the type to worry too much over her appearance. But, she had to admit that she looked pretty good despite the meager preparation.

 

“Eat your heart out, Yerin-ah,” SinB said in a low, seductive manner as she stared at the mirror with a smoldering expression. It wasn't long before a smile crept on her lips as she exploded in laughter at her exaggerated gestures. With one last quick mirror check, SinB opened the bedroom door and proceeded to go downstairs to meet Yerin and the others.

 

Just before she reached the last step, SinB paused when she noticed the front door of the house begin to open. Out popped Umji’s head carefully checking to see if anyone was in the vicinity. Her eyes met with SinB’s and they both presented friendly smiles to one another.

 

“Good morning, Umji-ssi,” SinB cheerfully greeted the younger girl. “Did you just got back right now? Was Yuju giving you a hard time?”

 

The youngest out of the three vampires was absent for the entire day on Wednesday. SinB knew that Umji was given the task of speaking to Yuju and trying to convince the older girl that her friendship with SinB was still meaningful. But, SinB was starting to become wary for the young girl when she was not present for dinner. Concerned and curious, she asked Yerin who assured her that Umji was fine, but did not reveal any clues regarding the cute girl’s whereabouts.

 

“It’s nothing like that, SinB-unnie,” Umji assured her with a docile smile, closing the door behind her. “Yuju-unnie was very kind to me even though I disrupted her practice session at JGM Entertainment. We talked for a little while, but I think I was able to give her a different perspective of forgiving those that you really care about.”

 

Taking gentle steps out of the foyer and into the living room, Umji shyly signaled for SinB to sit down beside her on the couch. With one last step off the stairs, SinB politely followed as she sat next to the young lady.

 

“That sounds really promising. Kamsahamnida, Umji-ssi for your effort. Let’s hope that Yuju can forgive me in the end,” SinB thanked her, as she tried to ease in another question. “If you don’t mind me asking, Umji-ssi, where were you all night?” She glanced at the young girl, hoping that she didn’t struck a wrong chord.

 

Umji’s gaze solemnly stared at the floor before looking back up at SinB’s concerned face. “Yesterday was my parents’ death anniversary. I went to visit their burial site. It’s something that I do every month in memory of them,” Umji told SinB as calmly as she could, forcing out a closed-mouth smile before her eyes darted to the floor again.

 

SinB respected Umji’s choice of not telling her the sorrowful details, but she did appreciate how the young girl was able to give her a small glimpse into her past. Recalling the first time she had breakfast at the headquarters, SinB remembered that while Yerin and Eunha have been vampires for a considerable amount of time, Umji was practically still a baby with only six months under her belt. Was there a connection between Umji becoming a vampire and the death of her parents? Whatever the situation may be, there was no doubt that SinB felt sorry for young girl who was currently holding back tears. A soft smile rose as SinB thought of a new conversation that could cheer Umji up.

 

“How were you able to get inside JGM Entertainment?” SinB spoke with a friendly tone. “My friend, Sowon, and I used to try to visit Yuju whenever she practiced there. Of course, we also tried to see if we could spot any K-pop idols passing by. But, security was always too tight and they never allowed us in.”

 

A little less sadden, Umji smiled, displaying her lovely, pinchable cheeks. “It was actually quite easy for me since I have my powers,” she replied. “But, whenever someone asked me who I was, all I had to do was use some aegyo and make up an excuse, and they would let me go.”

 

“Aish,” SinB sulked in the couch, pretending to be agitated. “I should have figured that everybody would fall for your cute charms.” Umji giggled in response to SinB’s flattery.

 

“Oh, I also managed to walk pass Kyungri from Nine Muses,” Umji told SinB in delight.

 

“No way!” SinB earnestly said in excitement. “Kyungri is my bias in Nine Muses!” Scooting closer to the younger girl, SinB laid an arm around Umji’s shoulders so that they were huddled. “I need details, Umji. What did she smell like? How tall is she in real life? When she smiled did the heavens appear? And, most importantly, when is the group going to have a comeback because this little heart of MINE is starting to feel deprived of my babies.”

 

“I hate to burst your fangirl bubble, SinB-ssi,” Yerin chimed in, entering the living room, “but I sincerely doubt Umji was able to decipher all of that in the span of nanoseconds she spent with your precious Kyungri.”

 

“You’re just jealous of the fact that you have some competition,” SinB teased, her eyes glued to the older girl who coolly leaned on one of the Victorian-styled arm chairs in front of them.

 

“Nonsense,” Yerin responded with a breathy laugh. “And, besides, I happen to take quite a liking to Nine Muses’ Sojin. But, why pick favorites when I already have someone who makes my heart swoon.” Her intense eyes were locked on SinB who mischievously smiled back at her.

 

The two were deeply invested in their own staring contest until Umji cleared .

 

“I'm just gonna go to my room, now,” Umji timidly said out of discomfort of seeing Yerin and SinB being flirtatious with one another.

 

“Are you sure you don't want to eat breakfast first, Umji-ya?” Yerin asked, slightly flustered over her disregard for the young girl. “I can make you a cup of Type B, your favorite.” She straightened her posture to walk towards Umji who already stood up from the couch.

 

“No, thank you, Yerin-unnie. I'm just really tired,” Umji respectfully declined Yerin’s offer.

 

Still a bit regretful, Yerin gave the young girl a warm, nurturing hug and a comforting rub on the back. She placed a maternal kiss on Umji’s forehead before releasing the hug.

 

“I made some food if you happen to get hungry, okay?” Yerin tenderly informed the young girl. “Kamsahamnida for taking the time to help out, Umji-ya. I know how much you like to reserve those days to visit your parents.”

 

“Gwenchana, Yerin-unnie. Getting to meet Yuju-unnie was actually very nice,” Umji softly replied. She turned her body to face SinB. “By the way, SinB-unnie, Kyungri smelled like roses.” She smiled playfully at SinB before scurrying up the staircase.

 

SinB chuckled at Umji’s hidden feisty side, before returning her attention to an amused Yerin. The older girl, then, took a seat on the couch next to the giggling girl. They both shared a contented smile.

 

“Good news,” SinB spoke, “there's a high probability that Yuju might not be so angry with me anymore.”

 

“That is good news,” Yerin replied. “We can probably initiate the next order of business today.”

 

“And, that is...?” SinB asked quizzically, eyebrows knitted.

 

“You are to meet with Sowon-ssi and Yuju-ssi and talk with them. Understand one another's point of view. Verbally apologize and forgive each other,” Yerin instructed.

 

“Don't get me wrong, Yerin-unnie, I really do want to rebuild my friendships with them. But, are you sure this is the right time?” SinB replied with a hint of apprehension.

 

“SinB-ssi, I know that you're worried, and that's perfectly normal. But, I've seen the strength the three of you give each other. Avoiding them isn't going to be for your benefit,” Yerin encouraged the younger girl, giving her a soft smile. “How about you text them to meet you at your apartment? That way, afterwards, you could gather your belongings and cancel that pricey lease.” SinB looked at her with questioning eyes. “I mean, having an apartment is a bit useless, now, since you're welcome to stay at this wonderful, cozy house that inhabits a certain wonderful, cozy vampire.” She stared at SinB with hopeful eyes.

 

“You're right,” SinB said, understanding what the older girl was suggesting. “Umji is quite wonderful,” she quipped , earning a pseudo-glare from Yerin, which caused SinB to laugh. “But, jokes aside, I accept your offer, Yerin-unnie. Kamsahamnida.” She bowed her head to thank the older girl. “I promise that I won't out-welcome my stay. It’ll just be temporary until this whole situation with Virgo blows over and I get back on my feet again.”

 

SinB felt like it was necessary to make that clear. It would be awkward for Umji and Eunha if she stayed around for too long. And, she’ll probably be a distraction when a new client comes along. Nonetheless, it was extremely thoughtful of Yerin to put her in consideration. Especially now, since SinB enjoyed spending time with this Yerin who was becoming less tightly wound.

 

“Whatever is comfortable for you, SinB-ssi,” Yerin simply replied, eyes taking the shape of luminous crescents.

 

SinB had to look away momentarily to reclaim her bearings. If they weren't taking things “slow”, she was certain that she would kiss Yerin right there and then. “So, you said that you cooked?” SinB said, moving along the conversation.

 

“Yeah, Yeonpotang,” Yerin answered. “I thought it would give you the energy you need to start today’s training session.”

 

“I was really hoping that we would skip training today,” SinB admitted, deflating in her chair with her arms crossed.

 

“We didn't really get that far, yesterday,” Yerin pointed out.

 

“And, we have Eunha-unnie to blame for that,” SinB retorted. She knew the older girl was talking about training, but SinB couldn't stop thinking about how her lips almost kissed Yerin’s. She bowed her head slightly to conceal her beckoning blush.

 

Glancing at Yerin, SinB realized that the older girl was blatantly staring at her. There was a small, serene smile on Yerin’s lips, but it was like she calculating a plan in her head. Before SinB had the chance to say anything, Yerin began to slowly lean into her, reaching out her hand to caress the younger girl’s cheek. She guided SinB to lay down on the couch as she hovered over her. Continuing to her cheek, Yerin looked into SinB’s eyes before placing a kiss on the other side of the younger girl’s face and another kiss on the corner of her lips.

 

SinB laid frozen, pleased yet aching for more contact from those soft, velvety lips.

 

Yerin leaned away slightly to exhale a breath. Eyes were electrifying, but SinB couldn't look away. In her mind, SinB could sense that Yerin was holding herself back from doing anything more.

 

“I thought we could both use that,” Yerin whispered, swallowing her libido. The two were desperately trying to control their heavy breathing. Yerin bit the inside of , before smiling at SinB who was still in a daze. “We should eat. That octopus soup is getting cold.” She nervously laughed.

 

As Yerin began to push herself off of SinB, a sudden impulse swept through the younger girl’s body. Quickly sitting up, SinB grabbed Yerin by the collar of her shirt and brought the older girl’s face down to her level. Initially, SinB planned on kissing Yerin directly on her lips. But with the older girl’s words about not wanting to move too fast ringing in her ears, SinB redirected the rough kiss on the corner of Yerin’s lips.

 

Releasing her hold, SinB smiled in satisfaction at the sight of a clearly stunned Yerin. “I respect your wishes,” SinB quietly said, staring deeply into the older girl's eyes. “And, it's because I really like you, too, Yerin-unnie.” SinB paused in thought. “But, can I, at least, call you Yerin-ah?”

 

Yerin’s surprised face turned into a huge grin at the sound of SinB saying her name without the overbearing honorific. “I'm absolutely fine with that, SinB-ah,” she whispered in return.

 

The two continued staring at each other. Taking each other in and memorizing one another’s features.

 

Suddenly, SinB laid a hand on Yerin’s chest directly above her heart. With a seductive look, she leaned closer, placing near the older girl’s ear. Yerin could feel SinB’s hot breath evaporating on her neck.


“Baegopa (I’m hungry),” SinB whispered in a low, husky manner before playfully pushing Yerin. She abruptly got up from the couch and ran towards the kitchen, laughing along the way.