Chapter 2

Something More Than Love

Class was coming to an end. SinB, Yuju, Sowon, and Yerin, who they quickly befriended, were in the locker rooms changing out of their dance practice outfits.

 

“Yerin-ssi, you're a really good dancer,” Sowon complimented the new member, dabbing the sweat off her neck with a towel.

 

“Kamsahamnida,” Yerin smiled and slightly bowed, proceeding to retrieve her water bottle from her bag.

 

“Yerin-unnie,” Yuju addressed her, “do you mind if I could drink some of your water? I forgot mine on the bus.”

 

“No!” Yerin quickly said defensively, eyes wide. But when she noticed the surprised looks on everyone's faces, she shook her head in embarrassment before trying to explain herself. “I mean, it's not regular water. There's a bunch of herbs and vitamins. I'm not sure if you would like it.” She looked at Yuju apologetically.

 

“Gwenchana,” Yuju replied, giving Yerin a polite, reassured smile.

 

The four girls kept quiet as they focused on changing. SinB was sitting on the bench that was situated between the two rows of lockers, unlacing her shoes. She didn't really talk to Yerin during practice. In fact, she made sure that there was a friendly distance between them. But, she didn't skip out on the chance of sneaking glances at the older girl when her attention was elsewhere.

 

SinB still didn't understand her attraction to Yerin. She's cute, polite, and not afraid to be silly. But, SinB could say that about Sowon and Yuju, and she never had a crush on either of them. What made Yerin so special?

 

It was peculiar how jumpy Yerin got about her water bottle. Still, SinB wasn't really put off by it.

 

Yerin’s back was towards SinB. She grabbed the hem of her yellow shirt, removing it over her head, revealing a sports bra. She changed into the clean blouse that hung on the door of her locker.

 

SinB witnessed the whole thing out of the corner of her eye. She was in another daze with thoughts of Yerin’s milky skin. Suddenly, SinB felt a towel whip her shoulder.

 

“Yah!” SinB yelped. Looking up, she saw Sowon already changed with one hand on her hip and the other holding the towel as she glared at SinB. Yuju and Yerin didn't bother to look at the two who were always in a friendly quarrel.

 

Sowon sat on the bench next to SinB with a smug look on her face. Leaning towards SinB’s ear she whispered, “Byuntae,” and continued to tie her shoes.

 

Another wave of embarrassment coursed through SinB’s body for the hundredth time that day. She tried to hide her smile at the memory of Yerin’s backside.


The cool night air hit the four girls as they walked out of the studio.

 

“I gotta get going if I don't want to miss my bus,” said Yuju, checking her watch. “I have vocal training tomorrow. Can you guys give me a ‘Fighting’ for good luck?”

 

Yuju is a trainee for JGM Entertainment, one of the biggest companies in the Kpop industry, and has been for the past three years. Though every trainee dreams of debuting, with each passing year, Yuju has become unsure of the probability for her.

 

“Fighting!” SinB, Sowon, and Yerin shouted in unison, bringing their fists in the air. Yuju laughed and smiled as she waved goodbye to her friends and ran for the bus stop.

 

“Yerin-ssi, where do you live?” asked Sowon as she tried to flag down a taxi.

 

“Just a couple blocks east. I could walk from here,” answered Yerin.

 

“Oh. Too bad you don't live west. You and SinB could've walked home together,” Sowon replied, her tone teasing at the end.

 

SinB jabbed Sowon’s arm, but Sowon just grinned with her hands in her pockets, looking down at the shorter girl.

 

After her third try, Sowon finally hailed a taxi.

 

“I have a midterm tomorrow morning that I haven’t studied for and an essay that's due by midnight. Pray for me, guys,” Sowon rushed as she got into the cab.

 

SinB looked at her friend incredulously. How Sowon got into university, she'll never know.

 

“Fighting!” Yerin cheered as the taxi drove away.

 

SinB and Yerin stood there together on the sidewalk. Awkward vibes were received from one another. After all that happened today, it was difficult for SinB to look at Yerin in the eyes.

 

“Sooo…,” SinB drawled out, “I’ll see you tomorrow?”

 

“Yes,” Yerin simply replied, smiling and nodding her head.

 

“Good. I mean, it'll be nice to get together again. I mean, we didn't really get to conversate that much, which was mainly my fault. Plus, you're a great dancer and I'm sure you'll be a great addition to the group,” SinB rambled as Yerin stood still, listening attentively. Letting out a nervous laugh, SinB stared at the pavement, flustered.

 

“I would very much like to see you again, too,” Yerin spoke up. Her voice was serene and calm, but flattered at SinB’s confession.

 

SinB looked up and saw Yerin’s breathtaking eye smile that was for her eyes only. She was glad the cool air dispelled the heat rising from her cheeks.

 

“Please, get home safely,” Yerin added before turning her back to walk away.

 

Once Yerin was out of view, SinB didn't head west, but straight. There was another dance studio in the area, Stylez Dance Hall.

 

SinB’s loyalty is with Destiny, but she isn't interested in joining a new dance crew. What she's interested in is Stylez’s locker room.

 

Checking her watch, SinB noted that by the time she got there, it would be closed and empty. Just like how she needed it to be.

 

When she reached the studio, SinB was relieved to see all the lights turned off. She wore the hood of her jacket to conceal her identity. Slyly, she ran to the back of the building and fished out the key to unlock the backdoor. Everything felt systematic.

 

As soon as she got inside, SinB headed for the locker rooms several steps away. She opened the entrance slightly, just enough to squeeze her body through. Using one of the chairs that was already there, SinB climbed up to the corner of the ceiling. A very small camera was hidden behind the wall. SinB took the camera and removed its memory card, replacing it with a new one. She put the camera back, making sure no one could see it.

 

In a matter of seconds, she was outside, locking the backdoors. She double checked to see if anyone was on the streets before jogging to the other side of the road where an alley, along with a dumpster, was located. SinB looked underneath the dumpster to find two envelopes. One was empty for her to put the memory card in. The other was filled with money. She swiftly placed the memory card into the empty envelope and slid it back under the dumpster. Shoving the envelope of money under her jacket, SinB left the alley and briskly walked to her apartment located in the other side of town.

 

For the past three months, this has been SinB’s bi-weekly ritual. She has been selling unsolicited photos of dancers who thought they were changing in private.

 

She’s not proud of her “job”. Not one bit. But, given the circumstances, SinB has no choice.

 

Not when her boss is a malicious vampire.