Chapter 9

Something More Than Love

SinB was scared. There were two vampires in her apartment who would gladly bite her head off if they had the chance.

 

She knew the easy thing to do was comply and let them take her to Virgo. It wouldn’t necessarily guarantee that she’ll still be alive tomorrow, though.

 

At the same time, SinB also felt angry and fed up. For the past couple of days, all she did was cry and feel sorry for herself. She lost everyone she could depend on. Her friends were mad at her, her parents practically disowned her, and SinB couldn't completely trust Yerin, yet. The only person that SinB could rely on during this situation was her alone.

 

SinB stared at the dark-haired vampire in front of her. He gave her a greasy smirk, taunting her with his lifeless eyes. It made SinB feel disgusted inside.

 

With a tight fist that made her knuckles protrude, SinB swung her hand with a momentum that she didn’t know she was capable of. She directed her punch right in the middle of the vampire’s throat, causing the back of his head to forcefully hit the door. It wasn’t long until he regained his composure, but SinB couldn’t help but feel a bit proud.

 

“She just jabbed my throat,” the dark-haired vampire said in disbelief, massaging the spot where SinB hit him.

 

“So, we got a feisty one on our hands,” the blonde vampire commented with amusement. He grabbed SinB’s shoulders and aggressively turned her around to face him. “They’re always so fun to play with when they put up a fight. But, the real reward is the look of absolute fear in their eyes when they realize their impending doom.” He snapped his fangs close to her face, causing SinB to flinch.

 

“Come on, man,” the dark-haired vampire spoke up, sounding jittery. “Can I just have one measly nibble on her wrist? I doubt Virgo would even notice.” SinB could hear him pacing back and forth behind her. “I’m just so hungry.” There was desperation in his tone.

 

“Are you kidding?!” the blonde vampire yelled at his companion, making SinB jump at the sudden change of volume in his voice. “Virgo would notice, and he will continue to starve you, continue to starve me, if his orders aren’t carried out the way he expects them.” He gestured to the dark-haired vampire to constrain SinB’s arms behind her back, as he dug his hand into his pant’s pocket. “But, if Virgo says that he doesn’t mind force, then where’s the harm of giving the girl some cuts and slashes.” He raised up a switchblade knife and grinned arrogantly at SinB who was trying to conceal her fear.

 

Toying around with the knife, the blonde vampire caressed the blade against SinB’s cheek. The cold metal made SinB involuntarily shiver. Smirking, he drew back the knife over his head and in one swift motion, he sliced the milky skin.

 

But, it wasn't SinB’s face. It was his dark-haired colleague who now had a deep, bloody gash on the side of his cheek. In actuality, SinB made sure to crouch down as low as she could moments before the knife could penetrate her.

 

Out of surprise, the dark-haired vampire released his hold on SinB’s hands to press on his fresh wound. SinB tried to run to the other side of the apartment where the window was located. But, suddenly she felt someone leap on her, tackling her to the ground.

 

It was the blonde vampire. With her back against the wooden floor, SinB tried to escape the firm body that was straddling her. Looking up at him, SinB noticed that the whites around his eyes had gone completely black, making him appear demonic. Like she was staring at death. With one hand, he reached for her neck and proceeded to choke her. The other hand still grasped the sharp knife.

 

SinB was going in and out of consciousness. He was much too strong and powerful. She saw the knife rising above his head, again, and she knew that there was nothing she could do but stay still and hope he doesn't butcher her to pieces.

 

Slam

 

The dusty, yellow light from her apartment building’s hallway, spewed into the room. Everyone froze as they checked to see the person who busted the door open. The figure stepped inside, and SinB was relieved to see a familiar face: Yerin.

 

Yerin was transformed into a completely different person with the outfit she had on. She wore a light pink shirt under a black moto jacket. Leather pants hugged her legs as she stomped around in combat boots. Her hair was up in a semi-messy top bun. In her hand was a pointy, wooden stake. To simply put it, Yerin looked like a badass.

 

Kicking the door to close to avoid any onlookers, Yerin examined the situation before her. When her eyes landed on a helpless SinB, she knew it was go time.

 

In a flash, Yerin grabbed the blonde vampire off of SinB and flung him to the other side of the room. He quickly got up and came running towards her with his knife. Yerin swiftly kicked the knife out of his hand, landing somewhere on the floor. He tried punching her in the face, but Yerin would easily block every jab.

 

“Who are you?!” the blonde vampire growled in annoyance.

 

“Your worst nightmare,” Yerin coolly replied before kicking him in the stomach.

 

He tumbled to the ground with his back hitting the floor. Yerin took it as an opportunity to place a heavy foot on his neck to hold him in place. She grabbed the wooden stake that was in her back pocket and proceeded to shove it in his chest. Immediately, he died, turning into dust which vanished back into the earth.

 

SinB glanced at the remaining vampire who was hiding in the corner of the room, still pressing down on his wound. His eyes were big in shock as they darted around the apartment, trying to find a way to gain the upper hand. His attention landed on the stray knife on the ground. Following his gaze, SinB got up to retrieve the knife that was a few feet away from her. But, she was too late.

 

In a split second, the dark-haired vampire held SinB tightly close to him with the blade of the knife dangerously on her neck. Yerin shot up, dropping her stake on the floor and raising her hands in surrender.

 

“I'll do it!” His voice was shaky and the knife trembled in his hand. “I'll slit !”

 

Yerin cautiously took a step closer with her hands still raised. “I believe you,” she spoke with a hint of fear. “I must admit that I admire your tenacity,” she watchfully complimented him. “But, a knife is not as threatening as a gun.” With that, Yerin quickly pulled out a pistol from her sleeve and aimed it at SinB.

 

With furrowed brows, SinB was in disbelief. Was Yerin really on her side? Was she actually working for Virgo this whole time?

 

“Allow me to do the honors,” Yerin vindictively announced. She stared at SinB’s horrified face and gave her a discrete wink. Promptly, she redirected the gun at the dark-haired vampire and pushed down the trigger.

 

But, bullets weren't fired. Instead, a stream of liquid was shot at the vampire’s face, specifically, at his wound. The vampire roared at the stinging sensation caused by the liquid. He released his hold on SinB as he stumbled in pain. Dropping down to his knees, SinB saw smoke emanating from his face. Yerin grabbed her wooden stake on the floor and stabbed his chest, putting him out of his misery. In the same way as the blonde, the dark-haired vampire combusted into dust which disappeared in an instant.

 

SinB, who was still shook up at the events she just witnessed, looked over at a panting Yerin. Yerin looked back at her and smiled in reassurance. They were standing at a respectable distance.

 

“It's a toy gun,” Yerin said, holding it up, “filled with garlic water.” She laid the water gun along with the wooden stake on the nearest table. “Are you okay?” Yerin gently asked SinB with concern scrawled on her face. She began to walk towards the girl who was frozen in her spot, but halted when SinB automatically took a step back.

 

“H-how did you know I was in trouble?” SinB quietly trembled with her arms crossed, unable to hide her overwhelmed emotions.

 

“When you left on Saturday morning, I forgot to mention how you were suppose to continue working for Virgo to avoid suspicion and give us more time to devise an attack,” Yerin carefully explained. “I had a feeling that you wouldn't want to visit the headquarters after telling your friends the truth. So, we gave you some space. But, when I realized that you may have skipped out from your job, I decided to check on you to see if you were fine. I heard some noise, so I refrained from knocking and thought it was better to kick open your door.” She smiled sheepishly.

 

SinB blankly stared at the floor, nodding her head to show that she was listening. Yerin bit the inside of her cheek, trying to figure out a way to help the distraught girl.

 

“Are you sure you're okay?” Yerin softly posed the question again. “No cuts? No bruises?”

 

“I'm fine,” SinB breathed out, looking directly at Yerin. She wanted to smile to show that she was okay, but her lips didn't let her.

 

“Were you at home when the vampires attacked?” Yerin asked out of curiosity. She wanted to get closer to SinB, but she wasn't sure if the younger girl felt comfortable around her.

 

“No...thankfully,” SinB replied, shaking her head. “I went to visit my parents’ house to see if they would forgive me and because I also missed them. But, they weren't there. They moved. They left.” Tears were welling up in her eyes, causing SinB to look down again. She didn't want to spend another night crying.

 

Yerin released a breath and briskly walked up to SinB, wrapping her arms around the girl who desperately needed a hug. She was relieved when SinB reciprocated the hug, laying her arms on top of Yerin’s shoulders.

 

SinB released all her pent up emotions as she sobbed on the older girl’s jacket. Yerin proceeded to rub SinB’s back. Her lips twitched into a smile when she felt SinB’s muscles begin to relax.

 

The two stayed in their embrace for several minutes until Yerin raised her head to look back at SinB. The younger girl’s eyes had a slight tinge of red and her cheeks were moist.

 

“SinB-ssi,” Yerin tenderly whispered, “no matter what happened at your parents’ house today, what you did was very brave. You should be proud that you had the courage to ask for forgiveness. Your parents are the real cowards for not giving you the love that you deserve.” Releasing her hands from SinB’s waist, Yerin cupped SinB’s face as she used her thumbs to wipe off the remaining tears.

 

SinB took her arms off of Yerin and gave a sullen smile, feeling grateful for the comfort. Yerin returned with a genuine eye smile, causing SinB to feel a bit weak in the knees. Embarrassingly, she stumbled where she stood, but Yerin was quick to steady her. They both released a nervous laugh.

 

Just like that, SinB was head over heels for Yerin. She felt anxious and calm all at the same time. Butterflies fluttered in her stomach as she yearned for another hug. It was like falling in love all over again. Or, maybe, SinB was finding reasons why she fell in love in the first place.

 

“So,” SinB spoke up in hopes of lightening the mood, “vampires are actually vulnerable to garlic? I always thought that was some ridiculous trope.” She playfully grinned at Yerin.

 

Yerin chuckled, humored by the question, but also glad to see SinB more uplifted. “I thought so, too, until I took a bite of garlic bread and felt my mouth start to burn. I learned it the hard way.”

 

“Omo,” SinB giggled. “What about holy water? And, aren’t vampires supposed to burst into flames in the sunlight?” Questions were running rampant out of SinB’s mouth, but Yerin just stared at her in amusement.

 

“I’ll tell you what,” Yerin interjected, placing her hands on SinB’s shoulders to get her attention, “I’ll make some tea while you clean yourself up, and then we could continue playing 20 questions.” She lightheartedly smiled at SinB.

 

“Fine,” SinB tried to sound irritated, but her cheeks betrayed her when she felt the onset of a blush. With her head down, she retreated to the bathroom. Before she closed the door, SinB solemnly called out to Yerin. “Yerin-unnie, kamsahamnida, for everything. I’m sorry for all the trouble I caused.”

 

Yerin smiled as she shook her head slightly. “Don’t apologize. You’re worth the trouble, SinB-ssi.”

 

There was an intensity in Yerin’s stare. It was so intense that SinB had to look away in fear that she might melt into puddle of lovesick mush. Quickly, she nodded her head before shutting the door. She leaned her back on the door’s cool surface and sighed.

 

If looks could kill, SinB would already be lying on the floor, dead from Yerin’s dreamy eyes.



Author’s Note: Hey, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. There will be plenty more SinRin moments in the next one. It was a bit difficult writing the fight sequences. If you have ever watched an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the way the vampires die on that show is how I picture the way the vampires die in this fic. Hopefully, that’ll give you a better understanding.