Chapter 22 (Part 2)

Something More Than Love

AAAARRGHHHH!

 

The woods was filled with the grunts and groans of zombies being demolished by the likes of two vampires and two humans. But, just like the hybrid bat beasts from the night before, there seemed to be an endless supply of them appearing from the cabin.

 

Sowon, tree branch in hand, could see one particular reanimated dead person moving much quicker compared to the rest of the slothful crowd. Positioning herself in a batting stance, Sowon waited for the right moment to hit, eyes narrowed in on her target’s decaying head. The closer the zombie approached her, the worse its face became. Maggots filled the void of one of their eye sockets and the skin of their cheek was peeled off, exposing rotten teeth and gums. Sowon tightened her grip on the branch. With all her might, she whacked at its neck, dislocating the frivolous creature’s head which flew straight into the campfire.

 

“Nice swing,” Eunha complimented the tall girl as she kicked a zombie in the stomach.

 

“Thanks,” Sowon, grinning with confidence, replied as she awaited for the next zombie to hit. “I played softball back in high school.” Swinging her branch, a surprisingly strong zombie caught it, depleting Sowon’s courage in exchange for cowardliness. The tall girl released her grasp from the branch as she ran behind Eunha. “I wasn’t necessarily the best player, though,” she sheepishly said, pointing to the zombie who now has her only weapon in its possession.

 

Eunha stormed over to the sepulchral being, punching it square in the jaw before stabbing its ugly head with her wooden stake. The zombie fell to the floor, prompting Eunha to pluck the branch out of its hand and return it back to Sowon.

 

“These zombies are getting rowdier!” Eunha shouted for the rest of the group to hear. “Umji and Yuju-ssi, take the right side of the woods! Sowon-ssi and I will take the left! Don’t lose sight of your partner!”

 

With that order in place, the girls scrambled to their positions, fighting off as many zombies they could possibly manage. Not only were their lives at stake, but they must not let any member of the walking dead go pass the perimeter of the campground, interrupting the sanctity of civilization.

 

Back to back, Umji and Yuju found themselves surrounded by a group of zombies preying on them. Umji made the first move. Kicking right under the chin of one of the zombies, she was able to dislodge its head. Moving onto the next pair, she employed the use of her stakes. The cute yet fearless girl managed to drive her weapons into the heads of two shaggy haired zombies, sending them back into the underworld.

 

Yuju, on the other hand, was trying her best to muster up some bravery. The branch she held was more of a shield as she braced it closer to her body. Knowing that it wasn’t fair for Umji to do all the killing, Yuju landed a couple of blows to the face with her branch, causing several of her living dead opponents to become disorientated.

 

But, the closer the zombies walked towards Yuju, the farther away she strayed from a busy Umji who was too concentrated in fighting to notice.

 

Frightened and fearful, Yuju began to swing her branch rapidly from side to side. But, it proved to be of no use when a zombie grabbed onto it, yanking it away from her hands. Yuju’s eyebrows jumped to her hairline as she was left weaponless. Trying to run backwards, the poor girl tripped, falling on her back. The hoard of zombies were closing into her space, blocking the moon’s heavenly glow.

 

Her heart raced as she waited for the inevitable to happen. She saw one of the hungry zombies lifting up their arm, preparing to swipe at her with its long, jagged fingernails. Though she sat motionless with fear, Yuju’s fight-or-flight instincts soon kicked in.

 

Milliseconds before the zombie clawed its hand at her, Yuju was able to bring both of her arms up to her face, shielding herself. Even through the layers of clothing she wore, the young girl could feel the zombie’s razor sharp nails ripping through the fabric and her flesh.

 

“ARGH!” Yuju screamed, throwing her head back in pain.

 

Umji looked towards the direction of the wail and realized that Yuju was no longer beside her. Instead, the musically talented girl was under the presence of several zombies a couple yards away.

 

Punching an incoming zombie in the face, Umji abandoned her station as she zipped to where Yuju laid defenseless. Umji immediately grabbed onto the head of the zombie who was on their knees, getting ready to feast on Yuju. Implanting a stake into its skull, the short girl pushed the monster away from her favorite mortal. Quick to kill the other zombies who loitered, Umji helped an injured Yuju to stand up on her feet. She placed an arm of the taller girl over her shoulder and sped back into the safety of the bushes.

 

On the other side, Eunha was able to see glimpses of the event unfold. Though she desperately wanted to help, the zombies she and Sowon faced were getting even more rambunctious, testing their every move. The short-haired girl glanced to her side and noticed that Sowon’s swings were getting less impactful. They both needed a break from the chaos.

 

“A zombie got to Yuju,” Eunha, trying to keep her breathing even, informed Sowon before high kicking the snarling dead.

 

“W-what?!” Sowon raggedly exclaimed. “Is she okay?”

 

“She’ll be fine,” Eunha answered. “A scratch won’t turn her into one of these decrepit monsters.” She stabbed her stake straight into the forehead of a zombie. “Let’s run behind those trees over there. Ease off for a bit.”

 

Sowon nodded her head, eagerly agreeing with Eunha’s suggestion.

 

Counting up to three, the two bolted out of the zombie-filled battlefield and into the deep confines of the woods. As soon as they reached the cluster of trees that Eunha pointed to, Sowon leaned her back against the rough bark, trying to catch her breath.

 

Mimicking the same stance, the shorter girl let her stake fall to the ground as she stared at the fallen leaves aimlessly. She could hear the zombies shuffling towards them, grumbling in agony. Looking over to where Sowon stood, Eunha noticed that there was cut, perhaps three inches in length on the taller girl’s cheek. She was about to notify her when Sowon began to speak.

 

“Have you ever had your life flash before your eyes?” Sowon spoke quietly, trying to not draw the attention of the zombies.

 

“Many times,” Eunha whispered back in truthfulness.

 

“Do you have any regrets?”

 

“Too many to count.”

 

They both stood in silence for what seemed like forever.

 

Sowon cleared . “If I die tonight...at least, I won’t regret doing this.”

 

In one big stride, Sowon stepped in front of Eunha. Cupping the shorter girl’s cheeks with both of her hands, Sowon stared into Eunha’s wide, beautiful eyes before planting a deep, blissful kiss on her lips. Eunha melted into Sowon’s embrace, her entire body tingling with delight. She wanted to return the kiss, but the romantic giant already removed her velvety lips and warm hands away from her face.

 

Sowon stared at the short-haired girl once more before exhaling a breath. Glancing behind the tree, she realized that the zombies were close by. Retrieving the trusty tree branch she previously settled on the ground, Sowon gave Eunha a quick kiss on the lips before stepping out of the confines of the large oak tree.

 

“Aaaahhh!” Sowon yelled to the top her lungs as she ran back into the battlefield. Using the tree branch like a jousting pole, she charged towards any zombie who was in her way.

 

A smile quirked on Eunha’s lips. The kiss still lingering on her senses. She picked up her stake and returned to the warzone to help Sowon.

 

Meanwhile, in the bushes, Umji sat beside Yuju as she hastily took off her jacket to cover the older girl’s bloody arms. Fatigued, the smell of blood increased the younger girl’s already overwhelming thirstiness. She shook her head, trying to rid herself of the craving and hoping that her periwinkle irises which signaled her bloodlust were not on display.

 

“Are you okay, Umji-ya?” Yuju tenderly asked upon noticing a certain jitteriness in the meek, yet ambitious girl.

 

“I’m fine, Yuju-unnie,” Umji assured, standing up to check how many zombies were left on the field and frowning to see that a swarm of them still remained. “Stay here, unnie. I’m going back.”

 

“Umji-ya,” Yuju tiredly called out, “mianhae.” She bit the inside of her lip while holding onto the younger girl’s jacket tighter. “Be careful out there. Fighting!” Bringing her arm through the sleeve, Yuju formed her hand into the thumb’s up sign as she gave the girl a small smile.

 

Umji returned the gesture with a thumb’s up of her own before jogging closer to the ever frightening monsters. Approaching the campsite, she noticed how energetic Eunha and Sowon seemed to be as they fought off the zombies. It was as if they got hit with some kind of magical spell that increased their vitality. Eunha’s demeanor especially glowed with exuberance. But despite their new source of moxie, the zombies seemed to still have the upperhand, proving that there was power in numbers.

 

Umji can sense the hunger emanating from the zombies. They wanted brains. And, she was in need for blood.

 

She knew it wasn’t the right time to be thinking about it, but the younger girl simply couldn’t help the feeling. Images of red liquid oozing down Yuju’s slender arms surfaced into Umji’s mind. She her fangs which protruded without her knowing. Her breathing became irregular, salivating at the thought of sinking her teeth into the older girl’s bare skin.

 

Pivoting away from the zombie attack and disregarding her duties as a Sisters of the Night member, Umji marched back to the bushes where Yuju laid. The sweet aroma of Type B in the air hypnotized the young girl to no end. Slowly losing all her inhibitions, Umji was just about to jump over the hedge and pounce on an unsuspecting Yuju when she heard a familiar voice calling her name.

 

“Umji-ya, that’s not a nice thing to do to your friend.”

 

Turning around, Umji stood in shock at the sight of her mom and dad warmly smiling back at her.

 

“Umma? Appa?” Umji managed to croak out, eyes watering with tears.

 

“You can’t let your vampire side take control of you, Umji-ya,” her dad said. “Not when your friends are counting on you.”

 

“But, I’m so thirsty, Appa,” Umji staggeredly divulged. “And, Yuju-unnie is so...appetizing. I can’t stop these cravings.”

 

“You’re stronger than you think you are, Umji-ya,” her mom now spoke. “You just need to believe it. Believe it like how we always believed in you, our beautiful daughter.”

 

A tear escaped Umji’s eye. “Mianhae! I shouldn’t have acted up the way I did that night.”

 

“What happened to us was never your fault,” her dad calmly assured.

 

“And, even in death, you will always be our Umji Angel.” Her mom’s smile brightened.

 

Like a ghost, Umji’s parents disappeared, leaving her stunned.

 

“Wait! Appa! Umma! Saranghae!” Umji cried out, even though she knew it was too late.

 

A newfound sensation coursed through her veins. Running back to where the zombies continued to wreak havoc, Umji stopped at the outskirts to think of a plan. If she had the ability to infiltrate and create dreams for others, was it possible that she could project those dreams into reality?

 

It was a far stretch, but Umji had to do something to stop the onslaught of zombies from reappearing out of the cabin. Getting down on her knees, Umji used every ounce of concentration as she reached the far depths of her psyche.

 

A gigantic apparition formed from her mind and stood menacingly on the battlefield. Eunha, Sowon, and even the zombies stopped as they saw a fantastic beast manifest in front of them.

 

“I can’t believe it,” Eunha breathed out, completely in awe. “It’s the monster that I told Umji to put in SinB’s nightmare back when we first started this whole mission. A Lesovik...a Swamp Thing.”

 

Controlling the green, gargantuan Swamp Thing with her mind, Umji ordered it to gather all of the zombies. Obediently, the Swamp Thing reached down and plucked the zombies off the ground. Once it was able to collect a handful, the marvelous monster dropped them right into the blazing campfire. It continued doing so until there were no more of those hideous creatures left. Before any more zombies could make their way out from the cabin, the Swamp Thing took a flaming piece of wood from the fire and threw it in the cabin.

 

Umji was starting to lose focus on her power. With finality, the woodland giant let out a hearty HWWAAAARG before vanishing out of existence.

 

Worn out and depleted of all of her energy, Umji collapsed to the ground.

 

Yuju who witnessed the entire event, squeezed her way out of the bushes and ran towards the frail, yet heroic girl. Dropping to the floor of the woods, Yuju pulled a concerningly light Umji into her arms before swiftly removing the jacket the younger girl lent her to wear. She proceeded to drape it over Umji’s body, gently swaying her back and forth in hopes that those big, doey eyes that she has come to adore would stare at her again.

 

Eunha and Sowon soon joined the pair, crouching by either girls’ side. The short-haired vampire placed a hand on the young vampire’s forehead, checking her temperature. Sowon brought a supportive arm around her trembling friend who looked at Umji remorsefully.

 

“She needs blood. Now,” Eunha spoke, eyes darting up to meet Yuju’s worried expression. “She dispelled too much of her powers out there. It’s only a matter of time before she crumbles to dust.”

 

“Not on my watch,” Yuju challenged, determination written all over her face.

 

As carefully as she could, Yuju took her arm away from underneath the younger girl’s cold body. She gestured for Eunha to help part open Umji’s pale lips. Hovering her hand just an inch or two away from the poor, unconscious girl’s mouth, Yuju balled it into a tight fist, forcing the blood from her wound to accumulate and drip onto Umji’s taste buds. Yuju continued to squeeze, hoping and praying for her favorite vampire to wake up.

 

First, it was the fluttering of her eyelids slowly opening and adjusting to the moonlight that shined up above. Then, it was the moving , savoring the taste of Type B that she enjoyed so greatly. And, finally, it was the lovely smile that formed on her lips, alerting Yuju that Umji is alive and present. She wrapped her arms around the young girl, not ever wanting to let her go.

 

“Yuju-unnie,” Umji shyly chirped, prompting the older girl to release the hug and look directly at her. “Mianhae. I don’t blame you if you consider me a monster from now on.”

 

Yuju kindly smiled as her forehead scrunched in disbelief. “What are you talking about? You practically sacrificed all the power you had left in order to do something incredible and save us. I can never think of you as a monster. You’re an angel, Umji-ya.”

 

The young vampire placed her arms around the older girl, in need of another hug, another warm embrace. Yuju began to softly sing “Dreaming” by IU as she rubbed Umji’s back. By the end of the tune, she kissed her on the cheek.

 

Giving the adorable pair some space, Eunha and Sowon steadily traipsed to the campfire, its wild flames already finished consuming the last of the threatening zombies. After all that happened, the atmosphere definitely felt awkward for the two who exchanged shy glances and friendly smiles every now and then.

 

Sowon cleared before addressing the rather bashful vampire in front of her. “If you want, Eunha-ssi, I can spare some of my blood...You can take a nibble out of me.” Embarrassed, Sowon’s eyes went wide as she tried to reaffirm herself. “Oh, gosh! I hope that didn’t sound insensitive or innuendo or anything! I just thought that you might be thirsty. I certainly don’t want you to faint from lack of nourishment like Umji-ssi…”

 

Sowon stopped her nervous rambling when Eunha raised her index finger. Regaining her confident, chic flair, Eunha took a step closer to Sowon, touching the older girl’s cheek with her fingertip.

 

“You have a cut...right here,” Eunha whispered, tracing the length of the wound while gathering as much blood as the tip of her finger could collect. In a flirty, femme fatale manner, Eunha the blood off her finger while looking directly into Sowon’s pleasantly surprised eyes. “Let’s go get SinB-ssi and Yerin.”


 

Yerin could feel her brow start to sweat due to the close proximity of the flames. Not wanting to submit to Virgo’s intimidation tactics, she stuck her arms out, becoming SinB’s personal safeguard.

 

“Aren’t you just feeling nostalgic, right now, Yerin-ah?” Virgo’s deep voice echoed in the hollow ballroom. Sitting on his black, leather throne like a benevolent dictator, his lips arched into a prideful smirk. “Not only did I recreate the night of when I transformed you into a vampire, but I also gave you the chance to reunite with your brother back there.”

 

“That was not my Oppa!” Yerin yelled furiously. “That was a cheap, evil imitation you used to try to trick me.”

 

“Pretty and smart,” Virgo commented. “By, gosh, Yerin-ah! I’m finding more reasons to fall in love with you.” He saw SinB grimace behind Yerin, but it didn’t falter his charming smile. “I have you know that I did try my best efforts to summon your brother from the dead. But, it’s so difficult when all you have left to work with are ashes.”

 

SinB noticed Yerin’s body go taut like a bowstring upon hearing Virgo’s insensitive words. The breathing of the older girl became deeper and heavier as her anger rose.

 

“Why are you still keeping SinB and me alive, Virgo?” Yerin lowered her arms which were beginning to ache, but kept her demeanor stoic. “Why can’t you just kill us now?”

 

Yerin knew perfectly well why Virgo continued to play games with them, why he wouldn’t just let them meet their doom. Because despite him presenting two options, Yerin never really had a choice. Virgo would do whatever it takes to convince Yerin to join him. So far, he tried to bargain with SinB’s life, relinquished false hope upon Yerin, and took her on a guilt trip with the bizarro version of her brother. And now, he formed the same emblazoned circle that has haunted Yerin’s dreams for many, many years. Was he going to perform the same initiation process with his own cohorts and force Yerin to watch until she surrendered? Or, was she going to watch another person she loved die in the same way as her Oppa?

 

Virgo grinned. “I think you’re smart enough to figure out my intentions on your own, Yerin-ah.” He stood up, placing his hands behind his back as he continued to look straight at the power-less vampire’s face. “Now, wouldn’t you like to know my plan for world domination?”

 

“What are you going to do?” Yerin countered, malice simmering in her tone. “Poison the water supply like any other painfully cliché villain?”

 

The jovial vampire bellowed in light laughter. “You’re correct in one thing, Yerin-ah. There will be pain. But, no. I was thinking of something much grander to match my personality.” He paused for effect before clapping his hands together once. “A fiery genocide seems like the perfect way to go. Torch the world and all its inhabitants. Well, of course, except my loyal followers.”

 

SinB, fed up, stepped away from Yerin’s protective stance and stood next to her. “You’re crazy. What makes you think my girlfriend would take part in a sinister plan like that?” she said, finding courage.

 

“SinB,” Virgo growled, “I find you more appealing when you don’t speak.”

 

“Yeah? Well, I’ll find you less creepy when you stop playing your games,” SinB barked back.

 

“Trust me, SinB,” Virgo’s voice became lower, “you’ll find out sooner or later that life is all one big game. And, if you don’t play carefully, you can end up getting scorched.”

 

An orb of fire materialized in his hand. Pitching the fireball towards the two girls, Yerin instinctively grabbed SinB’s shoulder, pushing the young girl and herself to the ground. The fireball flew above their heads, hitting the wall that seemed to be fireproof as it failed to leave any burn marks.

 

Virgo’s maniacal laughter resonated off the ballroom walls. Still laying on the marble floor, Yerin and SinB looked up and could see another yellow, orange orb form in his hand. The crazed vampire rolled it like a bowling ball, directly aiming it between the couple. Getting up as quickly as they could, Yerin ran towards the right side of the room while SinB ran towards the left, trying to avoid the burning ball of flames.

 

Realizing that they were now separated, a distressful Yerin called out to SinB whose beautiful, brown eyes were filling up with tears.

 

Virgo proceeded to draw a line of fire in the middle of the room, isolating each girl even more. Stepping away from his throne, he sauntered to the area where Yerin stood, trying to look past the flames that obstructed her view of SinB.

 

“What do you say, Yerin-ah?” Virgo, tone eerily gentle, spoke. “I’m a man of my word. Join me, and SinB will no longer have to suffer here.”

 

“But, you’re still going to release the unsolicited footage of her in her apartment. Aren’t you?” Yerin asked, eyes deranged and brows furrowed.

 

“Like I said. Man of my word.” His smile grew wider.

 

“Never!” Yerin said abruptly. “I will never join you. And, I will never let you hurt SinB, either.”

 

Feigning disappointment, Virgo sighed. “Yerin-ah, you can’t have everything you want. You have to make a choice. And, since you’ve proved to be so indecisive, I think it’s best if I made that choice for you.” Opening his hand, Virgo began to create a ghastly blue and white orb of fire. He glanced at Yerin; her face had gone pale and distraught. “Say goodbye to your precious SinB, Yerin-ah,” he bellowed before throwing it in the direction of the unaware mortal.

 

Yerin, eyes wide open and mouth agaped, ran like never before. She could feel her heart pounding in her chest as she approached the high-rise flames that danced haphazardly. Gaining speed, she managed to leap off the ground. But, it was impossible for her to avoid being smacked by the tall wall of fire. Yerin screamed in agony, but continued running. There was no way she was going to let SinB, her SinB die because of Virgo.

 

Suddenly, everything felt like it was moving in slow motion. Turning her head to the side slightly, Yerin realized that she and the orb were neck and neck, both moving at the same speed. She didn’t know how and she didn’t know why. The only thing on her mind at that moment was saving SinB.

 

Pushing herself even harder, Yerin took wider strides. The deathly orb seemed to be winning. Using every bit of energy she had, Yerin jumped in front of SinB, hugging and protecting her girlfriend from the orb’s scalding burn. The older girl tightly closed her eyes, expecting to feel the tortuous effect of the fireball on her back. She waited there, counting the seconds. One second. Two seconds. Three seconds. Nothing. Where was the searing pain?  

 

Opening her eyes with caution, Yerin exhaled a breath of utmost relief. She and SinB were protected by a forcefield, by her forcefield. Her powers returned…

 

To be absolutely, positively certain that she regained her powers, Yerin released SinB who turned to look at the older girl in surprise. Yerin lifted up the side of her shirt where her stab wound was kept hidden. The scar was no longer there. Yerin and SinB met each other’s eyes that filled with amazement. Nothing was going to stop them.

 

Pulling her shirt down, Yerin turned to look at Virgo whose mouth hanged open in disbelief.

 

This time, it was Yerin who smirked.

 

She super speeded towards him, unbothered and unharmed by the flames that continued to surround them. With a furious fist, Yerin punched Virgo in the stomach, sending him flying to the other end of the ballroom. She sped to his body, picked him up, and punched him in the jaw. He landed in the middle of his ring of fire.

 

Yerin crouched down next to Virgo’s tired body, his limbs sprawled out on the floor. Pressing her knee into his stomach, Yerin prepared to punch his face again, but stopped when he began to cackle hysterically.

 

“Alright, Yerin-ah,” Virgo chided as if he was talking to a stubborn child. “Enough horsing around. You proved your point.”

 

“Not until I plant a stake in your dead heart,” Yerin replied irritably.

 

“Whoa, easy! No need to be so hasty.” He raised his palms up in mock surrender. “But, seriously, Yerin-ah. Are you really going to kill me for that worthless, pestiferous mortal? You do realize that she’s going to grow old and die someday, right? What do you even plan on doing with her after you kill me? Get a dog? Find a cozy home with a white picket fence? She has an expiration date.” He paused, in a breath. “ And, that expiration date is now!”

 

Virgo shoved Yerin’s knee away from him. Clumsily standing up on his feet, he aimed his arms toward SinB who was still trapped in her cage of flames. But, Yerin swiftly grabbed him by the neck, placing him in a suffocating chokehold. She forcibly pushed him down to the floor, his head bouncing upon contact.

 

Though not wanting to, Yerin straddled the bane of her entire being. The electric yellow hue in her eyes beamed with relentlessness as her face contorted to provide room for her intimidating fangs.

 

“SinB isn’t the only person I’m killing you for,” Yerin seethed, tone ridden of fear and replaced with a certain cunningness. With one hand tightly digging into Virgo’s neck, Yerin raised her other hand in a tight fist. “This is for my Oppa…” She sent her fist flying to his cheek. “Yoon Bora…” Punch. “Sowon-ssi…” Punch. “Yuju-ssi…” Punch. “Mr. Quack Quack!” Punch.

 

Reaching for her stake that she usually kept in her back pocket, Yerin cursed under her breath when she figured that Virgo confiscated it when she was still comatosed.

 

“Yerin-ah!”

 

The older girl looked up at the sound of her girlfriend calling her name. SinB removed a smaller than average stake that was encased in the sole of her shoe.

 

“Thank Umji later!” SinB cried out before throwing the weapon over the flames like a frisbee.

 

The sharpened piece of wood landed on the floor right above Virgo’s head. Yerin reached for it. Now in her possession, the vengeful vampire held onto it securely, her knuckles turning white. She lifted her arm up, aiming the pointed end directly above his heart.

 

“And, most importantly...this is for me.”

 

Yerin plunged the wooden stake deep into the cavern of Virgo’s chest. He screeched in anguish, forcing SinB to cover her ears. A bright, blinding light surrounded his entire body along with his eyes. His voice shrieked higher and higher until…

 

KABOOM!!!

 

Virgo obliterated. Ash and smoke filled the vicinity of the ballroom.

 

SinB ducked to the ground, covering herself from the sediments which contaminated the air. It wasn’t long until she could feel the particles disappear around her in the same manner that all deceased vampires do. Peeking through the crook of her elbow, SinB checked to see if it was safe to stand up. There were no more flames to contain her. Perhaps, they were all extinguished from the cinder storm. Her eyes soon landed on Yerin who laid on the floor, body tucked into the fetal position.

 

Quickly, SinB got on her feet and ran to her girlfriend. The older girl’s eyes were closed. SinB stooped beside her, fearing that Yerin might have returned to a state of unconsciousness again.

 

Just when tears began to overwhelm the younger girl’s eyes, Yerin’s body catapulted up to a sitting position as she refilled her lungs with oxygen. Eyes still pierced with yellow, they slowly subdued upon seeing SinB’s perpetually stunning face, tear streaked cheeks and all.

 

“Yerin-ah,” SinB breathed out in relief before encapsulating the older girl with a desperately needed hug.

 

“SinB-ah,” Yerin whispered into her girlfriend’s ear while her silky hair. “Virgo’s dead?”

 

“Virgo’s dead.” SinB clung to Yerin tighter.

 

“We’re alive?” Yerin asked, unsure of her present reality.

 

SinB leaned her head away to look at a weary Yerin. “We’re alive,” she answered, a gigantic smile forming on .

 

Convinced, Yerin’s warm, endearing eye smile reappeared for the first time in what felt like an eternity. After so many years, she finally accomplished her lifelong goal. No longer was Virgo a threat to the outside world. Though she doubt she would ever be freed of the harrowing memory of her dear brother’s death, Yerin was grateful that she at least had people in her life to get her through those difficult times. One of those people stared back at her now, drawing random shapes and patterns on her hand.

 

Slightly tilting her head, Yerin slowly made her way to SinB’s delightful lips. She kissed her tenderly, savoring the simplicity and the automatic pull that they got from each other. What first started out as sweet and innocent soon escalated into pure passion. Hands roaming one another’s bodies. Teeth occasionally and harmlessly grazing on skin. Fingers…

 

“Omo!”

 

“My eyes!”

 

“Geez, guys! A second time?!”

 

“We really need put a bell on you two.”

 

Embarrassed that they were caught in the moment again, SinB and Yerin hurriedly separated from each other, standing up in an uncoordinated fashion. Out from the colossal door came Umji, Yuju, Sowon, and Eunha. Unlike the other three who stumbled in shyly with their eyes bashfully scanning the floor, Eunha sauntered in the ballroom with poise.

 

“What did I say about knocking?” SinB, with her hands on her hips, asked defensively as she walked over to her friends.

 

“Well, excuse us, Little Miss Hormones, for just trying to rescue you and Yerin-ssi out of this spooky lair,” Sowon countered, folding her arms.

 

“Guys, why are we arguing right now?!” Yuju chimed in, confused by her two friend’s erratic behavior.

 

“I don’t know!” SinB yelled, her voice echoing in the spacious room.

 

“Neither do I!” Sowon huffed back.

 

“We should just hug!” Yuju screamed, throwing her arms around the Tom and Jerry pair.

 

“We should!” both Sowon and SinB shouted at the same time before huddling closer to each other with Yuju. Thus, solidifying their loving, though sometimes temperamental, friendship.

 

The three vampires casually watched the event unfold with amusement. Yerin turned to face the two people in her life whom she didn’t only recognized as colleagues, but her family.

 

“Umji-ya,” Yerin cooed, nudging the youngest vampire’s arm with her elbow. “That invention you created was pure genius. You’re a lifesaver.” Wrapping her arms around the shorter girl’s frame, Yerin brought Umji closer with a maternal hug.

 

“In more ways than one,” Eunha added, softly pinching the young girl’s cheek.

 

“I’ve just been wanting to prove my place in the Sisters of the Night,” Umji softly spoke. “I may have lost my Umma and Appa, but I was blessed with two sisters who take care of me dearly.” She exchanged small smiles to Yerin and Eunha who returned them back graciously.

 

From the other corner of the room, Yuju was calling for Umji to join her, Sowon, and SinB. Yerin released her hold on the young girl and Eunha nodded her head in approval, allowing Umji to convene with the group of humans.

 

“And to think, we’re old enough to be her grandparents,” Yerin mused, coaxing her best friend into an affectionate hug.

 

“Don’t remind me,” Eunha warned, laying her head against the older girl’s chest. “Judging from the absence of your heartbeat, I assume that your powers have returned?”

 

“Thankfully,” Yerin replied. “And, at the right time.” She glanced at Eunha before looking at SinB who was too busy laughing amongst her friends to notice. “We did it, Eunha-ya. All six of us, giving a hundred and ten percent. We defeated Virgo.”


 

With Eunha’s guidance, Yerin, SinB and the rest of the group were able to finally escape Virgo’s torturous dungeon. As they walked out of the cabin, each girl stopped to see the glorious morning sun beginning to rise from the clouds.

 

“It’s beautiful,” SinB whispered as she became teary eyed. Yerin stood behind the younger girl, wrapping her arms around her girlfriend’s waist and indulging her with a back hug.

 

Umji slipped her hand away from Yuju’s to approach her short-haired unnie who seemed to drift away from the rest of the group.

 

“Eunha-unnie,” Umji addressed the always elegant-looking girl. Eunha stared back at her with an attentive, yet curious expression. “When we were in the foyer of Virgo’s lair, I found this on the ground.”

 

She reached into her pocket and extracted a piece of paper that was the size of a postcard. Relaying it to the older girl, Eunha’s eyes immediately widen in surprise. The paper was, in fact, a photograph. It was a grainy, black and white picture of Yerin smiling as she worked on her parent’s farm. For Eunha, the pieces soon clicked, causing a cold shiver to run up her spine.

 

“The girl in the picture,” Umji spoke, interrupting Eunha’s train of thought, “it’s Yerin-unnie, isn’t it?”

 

“It is. It was,” the older girl answered ominously. She took one last look at the picture in her hand before throwing it into the campfire. The flames shriveled the photo into nothingness.

 

Umji looked at Eunha, confusion spreading over her face. The blasé vampire shrugged.

 

“Aren’t you able to see the difference, Umji-ya?” Eunha, voice light and slightly cheerful, asked while walking closer to the young girl. “Our Yerin is far more happier than that girl in the photo.”

 

Slowly nodding her head in understanding, a warm smile took shape on Umji’s face. “You're right, unnie. The eye smile of our Yerin is much more brighter, too.” She winked at Eunha before returning back to Yuju.

 

Once the cute girl left, Sowon gradually crept up to Eunha’s side. Not sure what to do with her hands, the awkward giraffe continuously switched the placement of them from her pockets to behind her back to her pockets again. Eunha watched from the corner of her, releasing a small giggle.

 

“So,” Sowon timidly began, “are we just going to leave this cabin as it is? Dimensional portal and all?”

 

“The elders are typically the ones who clean up, leaving the area evidence-free for any blissfully ignorant mortals or prying government officials,” Eunha responded casually.

 

“I see...About the kiss,” Sowon shyly brought up, kicking a random rock on the ground.

 

“What about it?” Eunha playfully encouraged the tall girl to elaborate, a smug expression gleaming on her face.

 

“Should we even talk about it? Should we just forget about it like it never happened? Was it even right for me to kiss you?” Sowon’s mouth went rampant, asking question after question. She waited anxiously for the relaxed vampire to say something.

 

“Yes. No. Yes,” Eunha coolly answered.

 

It took Sowon a moment to line up Eunha’s direct replies with her corresponding questions. A toothy grin stretched over her cheeks, as did her cut that started to dry over.

 

“Well, since you addressed my concerns succinctly,” Sowon nervously joked, “where should we go from here?” She bit the edge of her lip, anticipating another reply which kept her stomach in knots.

 

“Why don’t we discuss more about it over a cup of hot cocoa?” Eunha suggested, tucking a fly away hair behind her ear. “My treat.”

 

“Like a date?” Sowon, caught off guard, asked eagerly.

 

“I’ll consider it a date if you do, Sowon-ssi,” Eunha replied before taking a step closer to the wide-eyed giraffe she came to adore.

 

Showing off her pearly white teeth through a gigantic smile, Sowon excitedly confirmed, “It’s a date!” Taking a hand out from her pocket, Sowon laced her fingers with Eunha’s. She swore there was a tinge of pink bursting from the short-haired girl’s cheeks. Hand in perfectly fitted hand, the two traipsed over to where the rest of the group gathered.

 

“Now that Virgo is no longer crawling on this planet’s face,” Eunha interrupted whatever exchange SinB, Yerin, Yuju, and Umji were in the midst in, “should we return back to the headquarters? Get started on that lovely, finger-crippling mission report, Yerin-ah?”

 

“It can wait, Eunha-ya,” Yerin responded, not letting the overbearing amount of paperwork that was required to be filled out after every completed mission spoil the moment.

 

“Besides, why waste a perfectly beautiful day cooped up in HQ?” SinB, who was hugging Yerin from behind, added before placing a sweet kiss on her girlfriend’s cheek.

 

As much as Eunha pretended to loathe the young human, she couldn’t disagree with her. The morning sun shined blissfully on them, making the three vampires feel thankful that they didn't combust into flames as trope-ishly depicted in the media.

 

Everything was practically picturesque. The birds were chirping. The Sisters of the Night saved the day once again, restoring balance in the world. But, most importantly, there was love as each girl looked into their significant other’s eyes.

 

“You know what will make this day even better?” Sowon chimed in. “Ddeokbokki.”



Author’s Note: And it all ends with ddeokbokki ^^. Just kidding, there's actually one last chapter I have in store. I initially  wasn't planning on having an epilogue, but I kind of want to now, just to wrap everything up for each character. Look out for that in a week or so. Until then, I cannot say thank you enough to each one of you who have subscribed, commented, upvoted, and even just decided to skim this fic. Originally, Something More Than Love was suppose to be a past time thing. But, thanks to you guys, I became increasingly invested in it and so it evolved to this. Thank you, again, and Happy New Year! :)